Mark Neeld in the media

Whispering_Jack

Public Humiliation is a term commonly used in the sector i work. It means any statement of negativity of an individual used in the presence of colleagues.

I'm not sure Neeld's comments were even statements of negativity.

He said Watts needed to:

• Focus on becoming an elite footballer.
  • Find new levels of fitness and hunger
  • Develop a massive work ethic and appetite to play footy
  • Not forget his core business and train really hard
  • Get to know the new sports science director really well
  • Get to know his new coaches really well
  • Get a massive work ethic to fall back on and train his backside off.

Sounds like statements of positivity and an action plan to me (nowhere did he use perjoratives like 'lazy', 'disinterested' or 'unprofessional').

The only argument could be whether it should or shouldn't be in the pages of the Herald-Sun. You can't discount the idea that the club, Neeld and Watts were happy for such a challenge to be made public.

• Like 3

Sounds like excellent advice to me, directed to a number one pick in an under achieving environment. Pull up ya socks was how it was said to me at school.

Luckily I did!

For what its worth I totally agree.

Its perception as to how the communication is received.

Some here perceive it as 'humiliation' others as a positive challenge.

We do not know if Neeld had actually already issued this challenge to Jack behind the scenes and that Jack had been made aware by Neeld he was going to mention it to media as Jack had taken it well and on the chin.

Still appreciate people form opinions on what is reported black and white.

The only way we will know if this has worked is how Jack actually comes out to play next year.

The only way we will know if this has worked is how Jack actually comes out to play next year.

I argued this when it happened and got little support, but I agree with all you've said on the public comments. Neeld had previously said had only known the players for 5 minutes so it seemed a strange thing to pick two players and single them out. I was also surprised because I thought Jack worked really hard last year.

I doubt we'll ever know how it worked and we'll never know the full circumstances around the comments. If Jack plays a good year who knows whether these comments were positive or negative.

For what its worth I totally agree.

Its perception as to how the communication is received.

Some here perceive it as 'humiliation' others as a positive challenge.

We do not know if Neeld had actually already issued this challenge to Jack behind the scenes and that Jack had been made aware by Neeld he was going to mention it to media as Jack had taken it well and on the chin.

Still appreciate people form opinions on what is reported black and white.

Yep you are right. I also think if Jack or Aaron had been "humiliated" we would have known about it by now. I suspect Jack is thriving, now he is actually discovering elite fitness. Davey just may rediscover that electric speed.

I believe hat Neeld did exactly the right thing in publicly "encouraging" the likes of Watts and Davey to lift the respective games. In doing so, not only was he sending a very clear message to those players (who he would have spoken to in much more depth privately anyway), but he was also making a very clear statement of intent that this club will no longer accept mediocrity and that all members and all opposition and all media pundits should take note.

Personally, I think it would be far more humiliating to be delisted by a club after failing to live up to your potential.

I argued this when it happened and got little support, but I agree with all you've said on the public comments. Neeld had previously said had only known the players for 5 minutes so it seemed a strange thing to pick two players and single them out. I was also surprised because I thought Jack worked really hard last year.

I doubt we'll ever know how it worked and we'll never know the full circumstances around the comments. If Jack plays a good year who knows whether these comments were positive or negative.

I have to agree, why Jack and Aaron? Many more come to mind (Sylvia screams out!). It seems to me these two guys did not have a 'blank canvas' and had pre conceived images. IMO Jacks development was good in 2011.

No-one will ever know how Jack received the public naming, or how his colleagues interperted it. Aaron too

I have to agree, why Jack and Aaron?

Why not? The highest paid player on the list and the number one draft pick. Lift them and the whole list improves with them. Pick your targets carefully.

Harden up will ya.

i hope you are not one of those "team leader" types! I hate those soft bastards, tried to ruin my workplace with their drivel years ago...they were defeated!

I have to agree, why Jack and Aaron? Many more come to mind (Sylvia screams out!). It seems to me these two guys did not have a 'blank canvas' and had pre conceived images. IMO Jacks development was good in 2011.

No-one will ever know how Jack received the public naming, or how his colleagues interperted it. Aaron too

Its a really good question actually.

I think you will find they are the 2 Neeld believes are the furtherest below potential coming from the outside and both for differing reasons.

BTW I wouldn't worry about Sylvia. MN I made the public statement with his action on the suspension. In addition Mark knows where Syv is at and has made this abundantly clear.

The message to the playing group as a whole - no matter who you are, highly rated superstar-in-waiting coming off your best season to date, or highly respected senior member of the leadership group - you are not immune to criticism and you will be expected to improve.

Every player on the list has been put on notice.

There is nowhere to hide.

Its a really good question actually.

I think you wlkiill find they are the 2 Neeld believes are the furtherest below potential coming from the outside and both for differing reasons.

BTW I wouldn't worry about Sylvia. MN I made the public statement with his action on the suspension. In addition Mark knows where Syv is at and has made this abundantly clear

Thanx Footynut

Its good to hear Sylvia has been given a talking to other than his drinking/partying acts. And via a method i agree with ;-) lol.

For others im talking/hoping its about his playing performance. The man is a potential star!!

Edited by Demonsterative

The message to the playing group as a whole - no matter who you are,

The issue to me is "why public". Surely in the first instance this message should have been delivered to the playing group as a whole and privately. I actually think it probably was. So why pick two players and make public comments? Surely that would be more appropriate if they hadn't been responding to the "private" communication. And when he made them he had little if any meaningful dealings with them.

It seemed very odd to me.

The issue to me is "why public". Surely in the first instance this message should have been delivered to the playing group as a whole and privately. I actually think it probably was. So why pick two players and make public comments? Surely that would be more appropriate if they hadn't been responding to the "private" communication. And when he made them he had little if any meaningful dealings with them.

By going public Neeld made certain the message is out there...Nowhere to hide. He is not coaching to win friends, Neeld wants this club to be the HARDEST to play. The respect will come only after sustained success.

By going public Neeld made certain the message is out there...Nowhere to hide. He is not coaching to win friends, Neeld wants this club to be the HARDEST to play. The respect will come only after sustained success.

If he needs to do that then he's not the man for the job.

If he needs to do that then he's not the man for the job.

Totally disagree. This club has been far too forgiving for decades and got nowhere. I like the attitude of Neeld.

And what did he actually say that was so humiliating?

Edited by why you little

Fair question, that I don't have the answer to.

Partly as a PR exercise for the supporters, and those particular 2 chosen because they are bigger names and have already withstood public criticism before?

Purely as an example of the way he is doing things, and chose those 2 randomly (doubtful since he comes across so deliberate in all his actions / statements).

I think Neeld's philosophy involves open honesty and not hiding from criticism, so the idea of public humiliation was not a concern for him.

I certainly think his comments on both players were very fair and not overly critical.

Constructive, if anything.

I'm at a loss to understand why the need to criticise Mark Neeld for publicly giving a couple of his more talented players a bit of a sting. It's a time honoured practice used by coaches in a number of sports to send subtle messages to the whole team about having the necessary commitment for success and in many ways it's something of a compliment to the players concerned because you only do it with the better ones.

Moreover, I agree with maurie that it's neither humiliating nor offensive to the players concerned so I consider this to be not even worthy of even being considered a storm in a teacup.

• Like 2

I, for one, think Davey needed a rocket and the comments on Watts were simply a statement of the obvious. I reckon it would've shocked them a bit to read it in the newspaper and I think that's no bad thing.

As to Neeld, the less he has to say in the media the better. Melbourne has to walk the walk. That is the only road to respect for us in the AFL now.

No more smashings. No more excuses. If Neeld delivers that he'll win us all over.

Humiliation - pick a word and run with it, forget the context! Why some think they are able to speak for the club without conection is mind boggling

Substitute it for a different word if you like - it doesn't really change anything.

Even if the players in question were to be slightly embarrassed, or even humiliated, by Neeld's disclosure of their meetings, I'm curious to know what posters think this negative side effect could possibly be?

Does anyone really think it will lead to them demanding a trade, or create disharmony within the playing group?

Cos I don't.

Giving two arguably yet-to-be star performers approx 6 months advance warning that it's time that their "potential" needs to be fleshed into reality can hardly be seen to be the wrong approach.

If they are weighed down by these expectations then one must wonder how they might cope with the pressure of knock-out finals football.

From where I sit : full marks to Neeld for clearly identifying what is required - the first stage of which must be the levels of fitness and endurance required and which hopefully these players are addressing on a daily basis

( perhaps similar thoughts expressed in Mark 9:24 )

It'll be interesting to see who Neeld ultimately puts in the leadership group. I expect there will be some changes.

For instance, will Davey make it? Is Jones an outside chance for Captain? Jamar looks a chance of being elevated, as does JT.

One would think Neeld will use the leadership group as the next statement to the list and externally.

We'll see then what Neeld actually thinks of Watts and Davey.