List Analysis by Champion Data's Glenn Luff

Hells Gates

Was listening to SEN today when this guy analysed all the AFL club lists. I found it very interesting to see where clubs were at and some of the results suprised me a bit. He didnt rate North Melbourne very high at all. Champion data only applies to the senior list and doesnt include rookies.

Melbournes list:

• Said that maybe we just want things in a hurry and that we are rebuilding(obviously). Compared us to Geelong where it took them a while to click.
  • We are the 4th youngest behind GWS, GC, Richmond.
  • 2nd youngest out of the established clubs behind Richmond.
  • Melbourne has the tallest list in the AFL now.
  • Melbourne has pumped a total of 606 games into under 25's in the last 2 years - The most in the competition.
  • He said we have to improve our midfield as it seems a bit weak - not enough players from the midfield in the top 35% of the AFL.
  • We have the best draw of any club in 2012, Collingwood has the worst.
  • He talked about players to watch from every club. He said that if we needed to upgrade a rookie then James Magner is one to watch out for, he said Champion Data follwed him in the VFL and he rated No.1 in disposals, No.1 in contested footy & No.1 in clearances in the VFL for 2011.

Anyway hope this interests a few people as it did me. Well worth a listen to other clubs as well.

So be patient....the Dees are coming!! Slowly but surely!!

Here are the links for you to look at.

Part 1: http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Glenn-Luffs-List-Analysis-Part-One/3658

Part 2: Has Dees analysis. http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Glenn-Luffs-List-Analysis-Part-Two/3657

Cheers everyone and have a good day!

Our contrast with Richmond is quite interesting. We're both pumping game time into youngsters but their strength (midfield) is our deficiency and vice versa (defence). If we can unearth a gem or two in midfield our list will be superior in the long term.

I agree with him on North Melbourne. Destined to finish between 11th and 6th for the next 8 years.

Edited by Range Rover

I listened to a bit of it. The bit about North Melbourne, he commented that they were a bit of an unknown for them. I don't recall him saying that they didn't rate them, it's just they found North hard to assess.

Of course, I totally agreed with him in his assessment of our midfield.

He talked about players to watch from every club. He said that if we needed to upgrade a rookie then James Magner is one to watch out for, he said Champion Data follwed him in the VFL and he rated No.1 in disposals, No.1 in contested footy & No.1 in clearances in the VFL for 2011.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Wondering if someone will ask how he went in the Liston....

It has been blindingly obvious that our midfield is our weak link. Posters here have rated our midfield (probably more its potential) but the reality is when we have the highest i50s against us that is the midfield not working hard enough. Neeld's new fitness regime is almost living proof of that.

Couple that with:

Beamer essentially being a flat track bully

Gysberts inability to damage with his posessions

Sylvia's inability to play consistent hard damaging footy.

Jones not really damaging oppositions with his possessions

We need some grunt and players who can win the footy and dispose of it properly. All day.

We have recruited that this year. Let's hope some of them make it.

• Like 1

It has been blindingly obvious that our midfield is our weak link. Posters here have rated our midfield (probably more its potential) but the reality is when we have the highest i50s against us that is the midfield not working hard enough. Neeld's new fitness regime is almost living proof of that.

Couple that with:

We need some grunt and players who can win the footy and dispose of it properly. All day.

I agree that our midfield is clearly our biggest weakness. We don't have enough defensively minded players, or enough blokes who go get the ball.

I think you're being a tad harsh on Gysberts, who is just a kid finding his way. And Jones can turn it over a little, but he is actually quite damaging by foot most of the time.

Couple that with:

I know just the player, oh, woops, he's just gone.

At the end of the day we are the big winners here. Next year we will get 3 gun Mids including Viney in a superdraft and maybe even 4 if no team below us bid for him!! We win, move on, karma will do it's justice here! You can't look to forward to the future until you let go of the past my nan says!

We have got a player on our list that has the ability to be one of the best midfielders in the competition, he has all the strengths and has show us that he can be a superstar, unfortunately he only shows it 2-3 times per year.

If Brent Moloney's mind was as tough as his body he would be a Top 5 AFL Player.

I think Mark Neeld could have a profound effect on Beamer. He is a player who wants to succeed. But up until now the MFC did not set its standards high enough.

Just imagine what Beamer would have become if he had remained a Cat!! Scary thought...

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

At the end of the day we are the big winners here. Next year we will get 3 gun Mids including Viney in a superdraft and maybe even 4 if no team below us bid for him!! We win, move on, karma will do it's justice here! You can't look to forward to the future until you let go of the past my nan says!

While I hope you're right, there is nothing to say that we will have 3 guns. Plus, depending on who we pick, ,2 of those players may be 3+ years away from having an impact. Viney should hit the ground running by the looks of him. Gysberts was a number 11 pick in the 2009 draft - we're still a minimum of 12 months away from him being a gun, so it's quite possible a couple of those first rounders next year won't be consistent AFL performers until minimum of 2016, if they/we are lucky. That's fact.

Was listening to SEN today when this guy analyzed all the AFL club lists. I found it very interesting to see where clubs were at and some of the results suprised me a bit. He didnt rate North Melbourne very high at all. Champion data only applies to the senior list and doesnt include rookies.

Melbournes list:

• Said that maybe we just want things in a hurry and that we are rebuilding(obviously). Compared us to Geelong where it took them a while to click.
  • We are the 4th youngest behind GWS, GC, Richmond.
  • 2nd youngest out of the established clubs behind Richmond.
  • Melbourne has the tallest list in the AFL now.
  • Melbourne has pumped a total of 606 games into under 25's in the last 2 years - The most in the competition.
  • He said we have to improve our midfield as it seems a bit weak - not enough players from the midfield in the top 35% of the AFL.
  • We have the best draw of any club in 2012, Collingwood has the worst.
  • He talked about players to watch from every club. He said that if we needed to upgrade a rookie then James Magner is one to watch out for, he said Champion Data follwed him in the VFL and he rated No.1 in disposals, No.1 in contested footy & No.1 in clearances in the VFL for 2011.

Anyway hope this interests a few people as it did me. Well worth a listen to other clubs as well.

So be patient....the Dees are coming!! Slowly but surely!!

Here are the links for you to look at.

Part 1: http://www.sen.com.a...s-Part-One/3658

Part 2: Has Dees analysis. http://www.sen.com.a...s-Part-Two/3657

Cheers everyone and have a good day!

Thanks HG (and Roy)...I am amazed we have the tallest list. Gee, must be the first time for a while? Reckon our mids will be right in time as more and more come through. More will be tried a la Grimes and more to come in the near future.

While I hope you're right, there is nothing to say that we will have 3 guns. Plus, depending on who we pick, ,2 of those players may be 3+ years away from having an impact. Viney should hit the ground running by the looks of him. Gysberts was a number 11 pick in the 2009 draft - we're still a minimum of 12 months away from him being a gun, so it's quite possible a couple of those first rounders next year won't be consistent AFL performers until minimum of 2016, if they/we are lucky. That's fact.

well said. Many people on here consider Jack Viney & Frank Grimes to already be Premiership players, but discount the fact we were beaten by an ACTUAL Premiership team this year by 31 Goals.

Fact.

We have got a player on our list that has the ability to be one of the best midfielders in the competition, he has all the strengths and has show us that he can be a superstar, unfortunately he only shows it 2-3 times per year.

If you could put Jones desire into Col's body.

It's funny but I really feel like Neeld has come in with a empty jigsaw box- he knows what the end result is but just didn't have the pieces. Slowly but surely it looks like he's finding one by one.

I'm not expecting finals or making outlandish statements but to me every piece written about us now is positive and that is because I think others realise the upward direction the Dees are finally taking.

I don't think I remember saying they had to right straight away Billy, I was just referring to our midfield strengthening up. Trengove, blease, grimes, , tapscott and co will all mature hopefully plus our picks next year will strengthen our midfield. Think you may have misread it mate. Anyway good times ahead and who's to say we might get another trengove, Dustin Martin or Daniel rich. In a good draft I have full faith in the recruiters.

If you could put Jones desire into Col's body.

Jones is another, I had no idea what he was doing out on the wing last season when we needed big bodies around the footy. In regards to Col, he is a player that has all the ability, his game against Richmond this year and Hawthorn last year are the best two games he has played, only if we could get this standard on a regular basis. I really think with Trengove continuing to improve, backing Jones in, McKenzie, Moloney we are going to have enough muscle around the footy with the right set ups and structure these guys will be able to win the footy. We lack the high quality outside Midfielder.

Unless we use those high picks to trade for a couple of established players who want to come home to Vic. Eg Dangerfield or some other players that might pop up in the course of next year. Those picks are going to be very sort after in a super draft.