Lutz

No.

They tried to get pick 2 in the mini draft. They don't have to take Crouch with it.

They probably will take him, but no one is locked into any particular position.

No. This is what was said. Quote

"In a complicated deal, Fremantle would have received Mitch Clark, Hawthorn taken Jack Gunston, Adelaide snared 17-year-old Brad Crouch and O'Meara would have gone back to the Giants"

http://www.heraldsun...t-1226164300573

All I meant is I think they have already said they wanted Crouch.

Edited by Deemort

If you really want something of substance to gnash your teeth on, it;'s O'Meara going to the Suns. IMO that's at least as bad if not worse than him going back to GWS. They are building a super list up there. Then there's pick 4 going to GWS. Stars win flags and that's where you get them. If you think our list building model will deliver a flag then GCs will for sure because they've had better picks than us for longer. With my MFC hat on the AFL should have legislated that the MD picks had to go on players with greater than 3 years service. That would have excluded us from bidding our compo picks but it would've prevented what has happened. I can see why the AFL, GC and GWS would be happy, although the AFL is probably concerned that GWS will go 0-22 in 2012, GWS think they'll win the 2016 flag.

Do you seriously think we will be higher.

Look at the teams above us this year who will we displace?

wow?? yes I do, I'd be shattered with 12th. Perhaps we'll finish above North, perhaps essendon, perhaps sydney, perhaps Freo who knows??

Glad I'm not as pessimistic about next year as you. You must really be looking forward to it.

It is true, they may not take Crouch, and we could try and get pick 3 in the MD, but what is to say that we get the 3rd pick, Adelaide take Crouch and we dont get who we want. Then we have to choose someone else as the deal has been done.

I much prefer we either get pick 2 or nothing, and not pay too much.

And to all the panic merchants who say we have not done anything for years etc. etc. To be honest, hardly anything happens in trade week. Most teams have done nothing other than move draft picks over the past years.

It is true, they may not take Crouch, and we could try and get pick 3 in the MD, but what is to say that we get the 3rd pick, Adelaide take Crouch and we dont get who we want. Then we have to choose someone else as the deal has been done.

I much prefer we either get pick 2 or nothing, and not pay too much.

And to all the panic merchants who say we have not done anything for years etc. etc. To be honest, hardly anything happens in trade week. Most teams have done nothing other than move draft picks over the past years.

This would mean that Adelaide desperately want someone other than Crouch, maybe Kennedy who they could pretty easily get with MD pick 3 and not pay so much

I assume they want Crouch, hope not

If you really want something of substance to gnash your teeth on, it;'s O'Meara going to the Suns. IMO that's at least as bad if not worse than him going back to GWS. They are building a super list up there. Then there's pick 4 going to GWS. Stars win flags and that's where you get them. If you think our list building model will deliver a flag then GCs will for sure because they've had better picks than us for longer. With my MFC hat on the AFL should have legislated that the MD picks had to go on players with greater than 3 years service. That would have excluded us from bidding our compo picks but it would've prevented what has happened. I can see why the AFL, GC and GWS would be happy, although the AFL is probably concerned that GWS will go 0-22 in 2012, GWS think they'll win the 2016 flag.

Old55 the thing that surprises me is you seem surprised.

The AFL will make these two sides successful come hell or high water.

Bulldogs, North, Melbourne, Richmond, Adelaide will get it in the neck over the next few years.

They do not care if we stay where we are right now.

GC and GWS must rise quickly or the whole "new Teams" strategy falls apart.

IMO the MFC will survive between now and 2020 if we remain solvent and the kids we have chosen up till now

become as good as we hope.

wow?? yes I do, I'd be shattered with 12th. Perhaps we'll finish above North, perhaps essendon, perhaps sydney, perhaps Freo who knows??

Glad I'm not as pessimistic about next year as you. You must really be looking forward to it.

Deemort this time last year we thought the Dees would play finals, we thought we had a developing team and a good draw.

Nett result 13th. a 31 goal loss, 8 losses of 8+ goals including a 12 and 14 goal loss.

The same cattle will go around in 2012.

Hopefully they will improve but to expect a big rise IMO is blind optimism.

Do not let your desire get in the road of the real world.

Deemort this time last year we thought the Dees would play finals, we thought we had a developing team and a good draw.

Nett result 13th. a 31 goal loss, 8 losses of 8+ goals including a 12 and 14 goal loss.

The same cattle will go around in 2012.

Hopefully they will improve but to expect a big rise IMO is blind optimism.

Essendon 14th 2010. Finals 2011.

6 spot improvement. Same Team

Quick example, I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Edited by Mac7

Hmm and West coast, no new coach or new ideas, but last to 4th. Yes this year brought us back to earth but to already give up on next year?? I'll take my so called blind optimism into 2012.

Hard to see how more positive projections are any less "real world" than your consistently negative ones. Even in the real world, teams go up and down. Look at WCE this year ... pretty well same cattle, same coach, same everything, and wooden spoon to finals. Reverse is true of Adelaide.

Hard to see how more positive projections are any less "real world" than your consistently negative ones. Even in the real world, teams go up and down. Look at WCE this year ... pretty well same cattle, same coach, same everything, and wooden spoon to finals. Reverse is true of Adelaide.

And the Bulldogs

If Adelaide get that pick it's a pathetic effort from the MFC.

We had a very strong hand coming in to the trade week but it seems our ability to use that hand to get the deal done leaves a lot to be desired.

It's all very nice to say we didn't want to pay too high a price etc. but the fact remains that the market determines the price and sometimes you need to pay what you consider to be 'overs' in order to get something you really want. And I think there is no doubt that we really wanted MD pick 1 or 2 because TH mentioned it on Monday and the news all week has been about Melbourne being keen on securing 17-year-olds in the MD.

But surprise surprise yet again we fail to achieve something we set out to do.

I thought the season of rubbish performances from us was over after losing to Port in Round 24. Seems like we have managed to squeeze in another before the end of the year.

• Like 1

Still have the compo picks they exist they are real they are able to be traded going forward

We can still make a play this or next year for a more ready made player or in the next 5 coming years

There's a lot of hype surrounding O'Meara and Crouch but I'm yet to hear of either of them

wining best on ground in a loosing team in a Grand Final. We have our own very special

young talent on the way we can trade compo picks all is not lost we wouldn't want to pay overs

when 2012 looks a bumper draft.

Plus GWS are dicks who wants to deal with satan

Edited by Diablo Deemon
  • Like 1

In MFC i trust, more so now than before.

Maybe were just a tad gun shy of throwing every thing at some kid ?

Many in their rush to judgement might wel end up tripping over their exuberance.

What do we really know ?? Ill tell you what...Sweet F All !! We only know what we can read and surmise and maybe the odd snippet of insider stuff. but overall its pure guesstimation.

And then we hve those who actually know whats going on...ther called the Melbourne Football Club. Id back them ahead of anyone here, of course myself included.

Get a grip people...sheesh !!

• Like 1

FFS if Adelaide get the pick they get it, we still hold the other picks. It is not a done deal yet this time yesterday the four way club deal was a supposed done deal.

Sillvagni says it's almost done (maybe in hope Dees or soemone else will come back with better deal tomorrow). Grubby Allen is crafty and a master of gaetting clubs to pay overs or to eliminate each other.

MFC don't pay overs the cards will start to fall now once mini draft picks are sorted. A lot has been on hold in the trade week over the first couple of days as usual, clubs feeling each other out.

Hawks will now try and get an early pick from somewhere and have to give something to get it. As usual the last day or two of the trade period is hectic and trades come from nowhere.

• Like 1

Good example Mac7

However there is one difference.

one is Essendon and the other is Melbourne!

We must inject some serious class into our list. We need to replace a wasted number 1 pick. O'Meara or Crouch wouldh've been great but paying too much is not a good idea. Rock and hard place springs to mind.

Patience is aloo required. Looking at most young teams it's 2013 -14 until we start hitting our straps. We must keep drafting the best young talent and then in those years go out and grab a big name. Maybe a Swallow. O'Meara or other young gun from a start up will come to us and help us win a Premiership at the G. No point throwing picks around just yet. I think the club is making the right noises at the moment.

One slight difference they had very bad injuries to most of their senior players in 2010.

Hmm and West coast, no new coach or new ideas, but last to 4th. Yes this year brought us back to earth but to already give up on next year?? I'll take my so called blind optimism into 2012.

Who is giving up on 2012.

I have just said we will not make hugh gains.

You can only see blue sky, I see some clouds.

Only an opinion, I am more than happy to be wrong.

But a lot of experience with the MFC tells me it seldom happens.

FFS if Adelaide get the pick they get it, we still hold the other picks. It is not a done deal yet this time yesterday the four way club deal was a supposed done deal.

Sillvagni says it's almost done (maybe in hope Dees or soemone else will come back with better deal tomorrow). Grubby Allen is crafty and a master of gaetting clubs to pay overs or to eliminate each other.

MFC don't pay overs the cards will start to fall now once mini draft picks are sorted. A lot has been on hold in the trade week over the first couple of days as usual, clubs feeling each other out.

Hawks will now try and get an early pick from somewhere and have to give something to get it. As usual the last day or two of the trade period is hectic and trades come from nowhere.

Far too much sense about this...go sit in the naughty corner !! :)