Deesbet just called...

Rich Demon

Do you have to be so long-winded? Two words too many old dee.

yep...sorry and these :lol:

Stylus you have a real skill at misinterpretation. Firstly, you wrongly applied my comments about the MFC & Members' contracts to the MFC& Deesbet contract. Then to justify that, you implied that I was denying any link between the two when I had done the opposite. And now you are saying I think pokies are a lesser evil than betting agencies when I have said nothing of the sort.

If I misinterpreted you, then you need to express yourself more clearly. In reference to the MFC/Member and MFC/Deesbet arrangements, you state that "they are completely separate matters and you cannot apply comments made regarding one to the other"... It is not unreasonable for anyone to take this as denying a link between the two.

The same goes for the 'lesser evil' comment I made. Having read the posts again, that inference is valid.

If the club is going to rely on gambling revenue, it should at least have the sense to do it out of the public eye, ie pokies, rather than directly aligning itself with a betting agency, ie Deesbet. People assume Deesbet is the MFC but they would not have a clue who owns what pokies. Obviously the MFC once saw the sense in that too, given its previous commitment to only align itself with community minded organisations.

Clearly, it is not essential to have a direct alignment with a betting agency, given the majority of rich clubs do not and continue to thrive. It seems they are smart enough to not engage in an alignment which has the potential to damage the club’s image and commercial value.

We aren't "directly aligning" with a betting agency, they are merely a mid-level sponsor of the club. They provide some money, we provide minor coverage on our website as well as contact information of members who have not opted out.

But to be honest, I don't really understand what your issue is. You seem happy with the poker arrangement, but just don't like Deesbet calling? Because if you are concerned about active alignment with gambling or 'non-community minded organisations', then the fact that our poker machine ownership is less visible is irrelevant. We are still aligning with (and in fact owning) non-community minded organisations, and everyone with more than a passing interest in the club knows that.

The old ‘it’s a political issue’ & ‘if we do not do it someone else will’chestnuts can be used to deflect and justify anything and add nothing to the debate.

Rubbish. They add a lot to this particular debate, and it should be blatantly obvious to anyone following the debate that it is a very topical political issue at the moment. But it seems you are not really against Poker machines anyway, so this too is irrelevant.

Sorry I object to these people ringing up.

My answer

[censored] off!

I'll do the same if I get a call- not on IMO. How do they get our telephone numbers.?

Edited by jayceebee31

they rang me last night just after i put my 18 month old son to bed my phone was in my pocket so it woke my son up. I saw that I didn't know the number so answered with "This better be F____N important". They said they would call me later.

• Like 1

You seem happy with the poker arrangement...

...But it seems you are not really against Poker machines anyway, so this too is irrelevant.

Further examples of your inability to interpret plain english without putting your own words in its place. I hate pokies infinitely more than betting agencies... but yes, that is totally irrelevant.

Edited by torpedo

Further examples of your inability to interpret plain english without putting your own words in its place. I hate pokies infinitely more than betting agencies... but yes, that is totally irrelevant.

I interpret plain english fine. It's just a shame you haven't used any.

I'm done trying to fill in the logic gaps in your reasoning.

Just had a call from Deesbet, you know, the betting agency that relies on MFC supporters losing bets to return money to the football club. The sooner we rid ourselves of this insidious sponsor the better.

And for the record yes I do have a regular bet on the horses.

Just want to go back to the original topic here...

If you dont like them calling, politely ask them to take you off their call roll. No need to get your knickers in a twist ;)

Unfortunately with laws on pokies, gambling and all that jazz - which is a major source for alot of clubs income - we need sponsors more than ever, if you have an alternative put it forward...

But until then just opt for my suggestion!

I hope those abusing get a warm fuzzy feeling for doing so.

For the life of me I can't understand what that achieves...........a simple "no thanks" is all it takes, but that must be a stretch for some.

I got a call from them last night, and the guy was very friendly, not at all pushy, and when I said "no thanks" that was the end of it.

Unfortunately, in this country, many sporting clubs rely pretty heavily on betting organisations for funding. If MFC ignore betting agencies and pokies it's at our peril. Most AFL clubs receive a significant chunk of their revenue from this area.

Yep just ask Jeff Kennett our illustrious minister for depression, how much Hawthorn make from poker machines, not a conflict of interest there is there Jeff???....sleep well.