Guest lambtotheslaughter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At last a club that behaves so badly it makes the MFC look professional

Well done shockers

they've always sucked, if you heard Brad Hardie on KB's show this morning he said that Freo is run by unprofessional imbeciles who know nothing bout football. There culture is the worst in the league and this why they do things like this. Our culture is A1 compared to them.

They have orchestrated it to get the man they want.

Very very ugly way of doing it - if they go to the finals next year and have success it will be forgotten quicker than you can say nutbean.

Ruthless and decisive which ever way you look at it.

I am hoping we have been equally as cold blooded and been talking very loudly in a coaches ear who is very much contracted at present.

I hope we are whispering in the ears of any or all footballers who are contracted or coming out of contract to see if they want to jump on board.

These actions will be quickly forgotten if they are successful. Remember Collingwood poached a contracted coach in Malthouse who still had a year to run at Eagles.

You actually have to admire the efficiency of thi scoup. Bang...bang !! done. All the behind closedd doors stuff was all carried out very cleverly and quietly. Lyon simply offered a deal he could hardly refuse.

Hope we got lots and lots of lollies for Mick too :rolleyes:

Footy is dog eat dog........woof

Guest Thomo

They have orchestrated it to get the man they want.

Very very ugly way of doing it - if they go to the finals next year and have success it will be forgotten quicker than you can say nutbean.

Ruthless and decisive which ever way you look at it.

I am hoping we have been equally as cold blooded and been talking very loudly in a coaches ear who is very much contracted at present.

I hope we are whispering in the ears of any or all footballers who are contracted or coming out of contract to see if they want to jump on board.

These actions will be quickly forgotten if they are successful. Remember Collingwood poached a contracted coach in Malthouse who still had a year to run at Eagles.

Agree 100%. Freo have been ruthless and got want they want. If they make the Grand Final next year they board will be seen as geniuses, and no one will care about an ex coach.

I believe Melbourne didn't make an offer to Ross Lyon because they thought he was happy to stay at St Kilda, while Freo went all out to get him. Who looks silly now? I'd say this makes Melbourne look like they are run by amateurs, not Freo.

Agree 100%. Freo have been ruthless and got want they want. If they make the Grand Final next year they board will be seen as geniuses, and no one will care about an ex coach.

Its about getting jobs done

I believe Melbourne didn't make an offer to Ross Lyon because they thought he was happy to stay at St Kilda, while Freo went all out to get him. Who looks silly now? I'd say this makes Melbourne look like they are run by amateurs, not Freo.

I believe Lyon wasnt offered anything is because there was nothing to offer him. "No Vacancy" B)

time will reveal all ( well most)

Excuse me, but we went to his management and asked them the status of Ross.

They said - don't bother at this stage "we are negotiating with St Kilda."

That tells you two things - Ross told his agent to "continue doing what you're doing" and all the while was talking to people at Fremantle.

I struggle to see how we could have affected the situation to our benefit.

Harvey was obviously 'gone' for weeks.

And well done to Freo - brutal stuff, coldblooded but well done.

That tells you two things - Ross told his agent to "continue doing what you're doing" and all the while was talking to people at Fremantle.

Absolutely. MFC did not have a chance in this matter.

The OP could not be more wrong

Lyon has trashed his reputation and so have Freo. Which club would trust Lyon in future years and what coach would trust Freo.

Lyon exercised an option under his contract to get out. Shame on him. Arranges a great deal with a better premiership window than he has at St Kilda - What was he thinking?

Freo sacks a coach early. A common occurrence in the AFL over the years. It has not harmed other clubs positions.

Guess what AFL footy is tough gig.

G.Lyon said last night along the lines of.."come and talk to us, if you're interested Ross", but no offer.

Fremantle have been decisive after seeing an opportunity and should benefit from the decision. Feel for M.Harvey, but despite the injuries, some of the performances during the season were alarming.

And would the club want someone that was as deceitful as this?

Yes, it doesn't paint him in the greatest light...

One saving grace is a point that Demon17 made in another thread and that is that both Lyon and Harvey had the same management - ESP - for them to handle negotiations with Freo would be an issue to say the least as they would be negotiating the position that another client of theirs is in...

Anyway, it doesn't look great.

Best thing to do would be for Lyon to have quit the monday after the game and then Freo to have done the deed a week later.

But it is still dastardly, behind-the-back stuff...

Guest Thomo

Absolutely. MFC did not have a chance in this matter.

The OP could not be more wrong

You two don't seem to realise that Ross Lyon is no longer the coach of St Kilda, he has moved to coach Freo.

Obviously he was available.

Melbourne were interested in Ross Lyon and they did not get him. Freo were interested and they did.

To say that I struggle to see how we could have affected the situation to our benefit and MFC did not have a chance in this matter makes no sense, because he has changed clubs.

You two don't seem to realise that Ross Lyon is no longer the coach of St Kilda, he has moved to coach Freo.

Obviously he was available.

Melbourne were interested in Ross Lyon and they did not get him. Freo were interested and they did.

To say that I struggle to see how we could have affected the situation to our benefit and MFC did not have a chance in this matter makes no sense, because he has changed clubs.

Yes, and how were we to go about this?

Talk directly to Lyon the way that Freo did?

They did that because their own coach (Harvey) was with ESP - the management agency that Lyon was with. To talk to ESP would be essentially telling Harvey they were looking behind his back.

We went to his agent and were told that Ross wished to stay and we are working through contract talks.

So how were we to affect the situation?

Your black and white statement may be a 'fact' but the truth is always grey.

Lyon could have possibly been 'tapped up' (to borrow an English term) by Freo before we were even on the market.

Guest Thomo

Yes, and how were we to go about this?

Talk directly to Lyon the way that Freo did?

They did that because their own coach (Harvey) was with ESP - the management agency that Lyon was with. To talk to ESP would be essentially telling Harvey they were looking behind his back.

We went to his agent and were told that Ross wished to stay and we are working through contract talks.

So how were we to affect the situation?

Your black and white statement may be a 'fact' but the truth is always grey.

Lyon could have possibly been 'tapped up' (to borrow an English term) by Freo before we were even on the market.

Whatever excuse is made, Lyon was available, Freo got him and Melbourne did not.

I understand that some of you like to always paint Melbourne in the best light, as RPFC you did in your unwavering support of Scully and Bailey, but clearly Freo has done a better job than Melbourne in this instance. It is not even a debate, it is a fact.

Edited by Thomo

Whatever excuse is made, Lyon was available, Freo got him and Melbourne did not.

I understand that some of you like to always paint Melbourne in the best light, as RPFC you did in your unwavering support of Scully and Bailey, but clearly Freo has done a better job than Melbourne in this instance. It is not even a debate, it is a fact.

Never let the facts cloud a good fantasy. And misrepresenting other people's point of view does not make your position any stronger.

they've always sucked, if you heard Brad Hardie on KB's show this morning he said that Freo is run by unprofessional imbeciles who know nothing bout football. There culture is the worst in the league and this why they do things like this. Our culture is A1 compared to them.

I think Freo is on the move!

They seem to have looked at everything thew do, from their Colours to their theme song.

And Now, the Coaching!

Reportedly even prepared to trade Sandilands for O'Meara.. It sounds like they've decided to do whatever is required to achieve the Success & a Solid Culture. Good luck to them I say.

It seems the Anti Was Upped at the last minute, then things just snowballed. Harvey was immediately sacked mid stream during a supporter Function? why so, why not an hour later? It proved their commitment to Lyon. Then Lyon gave notice and arranged his things and flights..

These things don't normally happen in such quick succession unless both parties are rushing to seal the Deal, as it were.... What was the final straw/brick? IMO, the money came through.

IMO Lyon would have needed proof before breaking ties with the Saints. He would want commitment.

If we were interested in Him, and he wouldn't have had to uproot the family here, he would have wanted a commitment from Us??? Where was it? Or were we busy shopping? Or??? Playing the Tease???

I think Freo is on the move!

They seem to have looked at everything thew do, from their Colours to their theme song.

And Now, the Coaching!

Reportedly even prepared to trade Sandilands for O'Meara.. It sounds like they've decided to do whatever is required to achieve the Success & a Solid Culture. Good luck to them I say.

If Lyon is true to form he'll trade Sandilands for a handful of beans .

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the recruiting dept .

You'd have a side full of mindless roll playing hacks in no time .

Just watch him kill off any flair the Freo players possess .

Edited by Fork 'em

Lyon was as "available" as the next bloke who is under contract was. We went through the correct procedures and flagged our interest in him, your criticism of the MFC in this case is unfair as Lyon was looking after his own interests- possibly even before we were in the position to look for a new coach.

I hope we take a leaf out of Fremantle's book and go HARD at Malthouse!