Hurrah for FREO

Guest lambtotheslaughter

Guest Thomo

Never let the facts cloud a good fantasy. And misrepresenting other people's point of view does not make your position any stronger.

Writing a general dismissive statement to put someone down with no facts, information or reason, whilst not addressing the original conversation doesn't make your position any stronger either.

As always you are setting a great example as a moderator.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You two don't seem to realise that Ross Lyon is no longer the coach of St Kilda, he has moved to coach Freo.

Obviously he was available.

Melbourne were interested in Ross Lyon and they did not get him. Freo were interested and they did.

To say that I struggle to see how we could have affected the situation to our benefit and MFC did not have a chance in this matter makes no sense, because he has changed clubs.

Ross Lyon was made available under very strict guide lines it seems. 7.5 Million over 5 years to be exact....(Mining $$$$ Backing) We were not in this deal, so please stop belittling the MFC.

Our deal will come elsewhere...But this one with R Lyon was done between just HIM & the Shockers...even his management team were left to deal with St.kilda, as a diversion.

Ruthless but very effective. Ross has set himself up for life. The Shockers got there man.

Harvey i hope will be alright....the AFL Coaches association will need to look after him for a while.

If Lyon is true to form he'll trade Sandilands for a handful of beans .

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the recruiting dept .

You'd have a side full of mindless roll playing hacks in no time .

Just watch him kill off any flair the Freo players possess .

I don't think he's got anything to do with this trading rumor. This has been around for weeks at least, and we've all heard that O'Meara wants to stay in Perth ans wasn't going to enter the 17Yr old Mini draft, then Miraculously changed his mind around the time this rumor was floated.

Do you think Sheedy would want a 7' 2" Giant, rucking for his team of 'Giants'???

Guest Thomo

Lyon was as "available" as the next bloke who is under contract was. We went through the correct procedures and flagged our interest in him, your criticism of the MFC in this case is unfair as Lyon was looking after his own interests- possibly even before we were in the position to look for a new coach.

I hope we take a leaf out of Fremantle's book and go HARD at Malthouse!

Sloonie the point of my reply was not to have a crack at Melbourne, but in response to the original topic that Freo is making MFC look good.

Lyon was available. He has taken a job at Freo proving this. The fact is Melbourne’s methods of finding out his availability were not as good as Freos.

I think Freo look like a smart ruthless club after this, while MFC are still playing nice and missing the boat. You are right, Melbounre should take a leaf out of Freo's book.

Sloonie the point of my reply was not to have a crack at Melbourne, but in response to the original topic that Freo is making MFC look good.

Lyon was available. He has taken a job at Freo proving this. The fact is Melbourne's methods of finding out his availability were not as good as Freos.

I think Freo look like a smart ruthless club after this, while MFC are still playing nice and missing the boat. You are right, Melbounre should take a leaf out of Freo's book.

No you are are missing a big point..

Mining industry $$$ that can pay Ross $7.5 million in 5 years.

The MFC were not involved in this deal period.

Lyon was available. He has taken a job at Freo proving this. The fact is Melbourne’s methods of finding out his availability were not as good as Freos.

So what you are essentially saying is that we should have preempted the fact that Ross was going to act as his own agent in this instance.

I can't see how it was possible for us to do this.

So what you are essentially saying is that we should have preempted the fact that Ross was going to act as his own agent in this instance.

Yes.

Lyon was obviously approached without his management being aware of it, with a year left on his contract.

And the MFC is to blame for going to his management and asking what was happening?

If ESP didn't know what was happening, how are we supposed to know?

ESP?

lol

Couldn't resist.

Edited by rpfc

Guest Thomo

No you are are missing a big point..

Mining industry $$$ that can pay Ross $7.5 million in 5 years.

The MFC were not involved in this deal period.

You have totally missed the point of this thread.

You are talking about the reasons for Lyon choosing Freo. The original post was saying that Freo are making MFC look professional by their actions.

Melbounre were never part of this deal because they were not aware a deal was possible. Freo and Lyon outwitted them.

Guest Thomo

That's the whole point of my argument. It was possible because Freo did it.

Don't like people saying Melbourne are too slow. For all you know, we already have MM

Hopefully you are right. But Garry Lyon saying that we inquired with ESP about Lyon would indicate that this is not the case.

Yes.

Lyon was obviously approached without his management being aware of it, with a year left on his contract.

And the MFC is to blame for going to his management and asking what was happening?

If ESP didn't know what was happening, how are we supposed to know?

ESP?

lol

Couldn't resist.

See my first response in this reply. The fact is Freo were able to. Again my points are in response to the original topic.

That's the whole point of my argument. It was possible because Freo did it.

RL and MH had the same management. The only way a deal could have been done was through the back door.

There was no need for us to go down this route, as from the outside everything seemed kosher.

A lot of people on this site will take any opportunity to pot this club.

And would the club want someone that was as deceitful as this?

Mick Malthouse was in print in early 1999 ( please dont ask me to find the article - it was linked on another website earlier this year) saying he would honour his contract expiring in 2000 at WCE.

Ex chairman of the WCE - Ian Hamilton said this -

Or perhaps Hamilton the mischief maker, having watched a dual premiership coach spirited away by the Magpies, couldn't resist the chance to fire a light- hearted shot back across McGuire's bow. "As people who were on the board at West Coast at the time (1999) would say - it is all very well for Eddie to be talking about the sanctity of contracts now but…"

Even an unfinished sentence sends a message sometimes.

So in answer to your question - who would want someone as deceitful as a coach that works away from a club with one year to run on a contract for greener pastures - like Malthouse - apparently Collingwood in 1999/2000 and me speaking for the MFC in the year 2012.

IF Lyon has success at Freo, like Malthouse at Collingwood, it will all become a hazy memory.

Hopefully you are right. But Garry Lyon saying that we inquired with ESP about Lyon would indicate that this is not the case.

What does this really mean Thomo ? Because we're asking questions on Lyon, we can't ask questions on other potential applicants/targets ?

What is to say Lyon hasn't approached Siddle re: Malthouse ?

In fact he has spoken with Siddle. He was pictured talking to Siddle at a charity event a few weeks ago. You think they were talking about the colour scheme of the interior design of the Palladium Room at Crown for 15 minutes ?

Or that the topic of his client Mick wasn't raised ?

Guest Thomo

People need to read the thread before they respond.

RL and MH had the same management. The only way a deal could have been done was through the back door.

There was no need for us to go down this route, as from the outside everything seemed kosher.

A lot of people on this site will take any opportunity to pot this club.

Clearly there was a need to go through the back door, because that is how he was signed. It's not potting the club, it is the facts. Freo decided to do whatever it takes to get Lyon, and they did. Read the original post, then this response and you might understand my response instead of thinking that I am having a go at the club.

What does this really mean Thomo ? Because we're asking questions on Lyon, we can't ask questions on other potential applicants/targets ?

What is to say Lyon hasn't approached Siddle re: Malthouse ?

In fact he has spoken with Siddle. He was pictured talking to Siddle at a charity event a few weeks ago. You think they were talking about the colour scheme of the interior design of the Palladium Room at Crown for 15 minutes ?

Or that the topic of his client Mick wasn't raised ?

My post was in response to a posters saying that we may have already signed Mick Malthouse. I stated that if we had why would we be inquiring about Lyon?

Edited by Thomo

My post was in response to a posters saying that we may have already signed Mick Malthouse. I stated that if we had why would we be inquiring about Lyon?

I know who you were replying to. How about you read my post and respond accordingly.

I gave you the answer to the highlighted question in my post!

They have the right to inquire on several fronts (prospective coaches) - it's called canvassing interest !

edit: Now I've seen your edit where you've deleted your sentence about suggesting I read your post...{cringe}

Edited by High Tower

People need to read the thread before they respond.

Clearly there was a need to go through the back door, because that is how he was signed. It's not potting the club, it is the facts. Freo decided to do whatever it takes to get Lyon, and they did. Read the original post, then this response and you might understand my response instead of thinking that I am having a go at the club.

All I understand is that your oblivious to reason.

There's never a need to go through the back door- that is unprofessional. You're still under the assumption that MFC should have preempted this saga.

There was no smoke- this was done on the sly. How were we to predict that direct correspondence with Lyon was needed.

Hindsight. It's a wonderful thing. Did you suggest we initiate negotiations with Lyon directly 5 weeks ago? Probably not. Therefore it's unfair for you to assume the same of G Lyon.

I can't understand how you fail to see this.

Guest Thomo

I know who you were replying to. How about you read my post and respond accordingly.

I gave you the answer to the highlighted question in my post!

They have the right to inquire on several fronts (prospective coaches) - it's called canvassing interest !

edit: Now I've seen your edit where you've deleted your sentence about suggesting I read your post...{cringe}

Post was edited because I hit reply accidently. The sentence that was deleted was put up the top and the bottom of my reply, so I deleted one.

Back to my post. If MFC had already had a signed contract from Malthouse, would they then approach Ross Lyon? No they would not. That was the original point. That is why I suggested that you read my earlier post. Nothing to do with not having approached Malthouse.

I have read everything, Thomo.

And you have yet to convince me that me could have affected this situation in any way.

Life isn't as straightforward as A was available, A left, we didn't get A.

And I thought you were above "you just side with the club" arguments considering your dislike for the dismissive statements of e25/KS/AB, but I guess not...

Guest Thomo

All I understand is that your oblivious to reason.

There's never a need to go through the back door- that is unprofessional. You're still under the assumption that MFC should have preempted this saga.

There was no smoke- this was done on the sly. How were we to predict that direct correspondence with Lyon was needed.

Hindsight. It's a wonderful thing. Did you suggest we initiate negotiations with Lyon directly 5 weeks ago? Probably not. Therefore it's unfair for you to assume the same of G Lyon.

I can't understand how you fail to see this.

There was a need to go through the back door, because that is what happened. I can't understand how you fail to see that. It is fact, it's not even a debate.

And if I can again ask you to read the OP before responding. This is a thread about Freo looking bad. I'm saying that did a great job at getting what they want.

There was a need to go through the back door, because that is what happened. I can't understand how you fail to see that. It is fact, it's not even a debate.

And if I can again ask you to read the OP before responding. This is a thread about Freo looking bad. I'm saying that did a great job at getting what they want.

You're the one who has turned the thread into "Melbourne screws it up again..."

Back to my post. If MFC had already had a signed contract from Malthouse, would they then approach Ross Lyon? No they would not. That was the original point. That is why I suggested that you read my earlier post. Nothing to do with not having approached Malthouse.

In this example, I wouldn't have thought there would be any signed contract at present. An agreement maybe - and if there was maybe there might be an agreement to appear to canvass others to bide time and to keep any distraction away from Malthouse whilst still coaching a live contender.

But this is all just speculation. It may also be that a decline has been issued and we're looking at what is left best available to us.

Guest Thomo

I have read everything, Thomo.

And you have yet to convince me that me could have affected this situation in any way.

Life isn't as straightforward as A was available, A left, we didn't get A.

And I thought you were above "you just side with the club" arguments considering your dislike for the dismissive statements of e25/KS/AB, but I guess not...

I'm not saying that Melbourne should have done what Freo did, what I am saying is that I disagree with the OP, Freo did a great job. They did whatever it takes to get their man, and their actions are not making Melbourne look good.

Point 2 wasn't meant to be a shot at you, it was more along the lines of I understand that supporters want to back the club and be positive, but in this case Freo has done a great job, and it appears better than Melbourne. Could have been put better.

Indeed Rpfc. There is alot of grey in these situations and presumptions made by some poster reflect adversely on them only.

Gerard Whately mention on ABC radio that Lyon had instructed his management to undertake contract negotiations with St Kilda while behind their backs negotiating with Freo. ESP were in active mnegotiations with St K.

If that is a true account of the facts then I change my view on Lyon. Geez thats bad ethics. I can only think karma on him for you reap what you sow. Cant say I admire the guy for running a bad faith goose chase.