Bailey throwing a few barbs back at us

Guest Voice of the Common Fan

After the little tanking incendiary bomb, now talking up 'issues within the club' that would have affected Scully's decision.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dees-issues-played-part-in-scully-move/story-e6frf9io-1226135404058

Absolute rubbish! I heard the interview on SEN this morning and Bailey was fantastic about the Club and the fact that they did everything they could to keep Scully. He even spoke positively of Schwab's efforts!

Absolute rubbish! I heard the interview on SEN this morning and Bailey was fantastic about the Club and the fact that they did everything they could to keep Scully. He even spoke positively of Schwab's efforts!

That's what i heard...Bailey was a Gentlemen straight down the line.

Would surprise me if DB was aiming comments at us. Would be immensely out of character.

I found the drinking comments of interest however.

I heard the interview and Bailey was a thorough gentleman.

Again - shows media telling half stories - Bailey did say what was in the article and then went on to talk about Chocko Williams as coach of Port who didnt drink and never understood why people wasted their time doing it and Bailey went on to say that some people do and some dont and Tom doesn't - no biggie. He really made the drinking into a non issue and the headline saying that the issues at Melbourne had some bearing on his decision - I didnt take that out of the interview at all.

Edit - even the subject line of this post is inaccurate - no barbs at all thrown from my hearing of the interview

Edited by nutbean

I think the club would be extremely naive to believe money was the only factor at play here.

When you clearly can't compete on money alone, you need all other elements of the club operating smoothly, and unfortunately that isn't the case.

It may not have made any difference at all to the final outcome, but we'll never know.

I'm appreciative of the support for Bailey here. He was $cully's first senior coach and a wonderful teaching coach at that, so he will have had tremendous influence on the rest of $cully's career. $cully & GWS can be very grateful for the grounding DB will have done with TS.

I hold DB in high regard, both for his teaching and coaching for our young recruits, and for the gentleman he is (and a great sense of humour and humanity). Since Norm Smith, I think I would only rate Swoop Northey higher than DB. Maybe Bailey wasn't the coach for the next stage for MFC, I just didn't know or get to find out. But what he did do for us in his tenure will prove he was a wonderful servant of our club.

I'm appreciative of the support for Bailey here. He was $cully's first senior coach and a wonderful teaching coach at that, so he will have had tremendous influence on the rest of $cully's career. $cully & GWS can be very grateful for the grounding DB will have done with TS.

I hold DB in high regard, both for his teaching and coaching for our young recruits, and for the gentleman he is (and a great sense of humour and humanity). Since Norm Smith, I think I would only rate Swoop Northey higher than DB. Maybe Bailey wasn't the coach for the next stage for MFC, I just didn't know or get to find out. But what he did do for us in his tenure will prove he was a wonderful servant of our club.

+1

Well said.

I think the club would be extremely naive to believe money was the only factor at play here.

When you clearly can't compete on money alone, you need all other elements of the club operating smoothly, and unfortunately that isn't the case.

It may not have made any difference at all to the final outcome, but we'll never know.

Sure it may have played some part...but the fact that GWS had to put another year and $1m on the contract and pay $2m up front making him the highest player in the AFL suggests that the money had to be to a point where it was impossible to say no and that up until the point it was offered he was not over the line.

Not withstanding the need to improve any point of contention for its players, I think the club would be stupid to think that money was anything but the most significant factor.

And heartbeatstrue...well said!

After the little tanking incendiary bomb, now talking up 'issues within the club' that would have affected Scully's decision.

http://www.heraldsun...o-1226135404058

Thats Not throwing Darts.

Bailey would want MFC to grow & overcome our own issues to achieve success.

IMO our Major collective weakness is our total inability to be self introspective. http://en.wikipedia....i/Introspection

We keep looking at people trying to help us by telling us hometruths only to turn around and accuse them of being nasty. Very few AFL people are like this. Don't misunderstand honesty for being Vindictive.

We need as a club, to become Less Precious & Defensive.

Edited by dee-luded

Sure it may have played some part...but the fact that GWS had to put another year and $1m on the contract and pay $2m up front making him the highest player in the AFL suggests that the money had to be to a point where it was impossible to say no and that up until the point it was offered he was not over the line.

Not withstanding the need to improve any point of contention for its players, I think the club would be stupid to think that money was anything but the most significant factor.

And heartbeatstrue...well said!

Agreed and we would be wise to look at Mrs Ward ( Callan's mum) who made it 100% clear why her son was leaving. There were millions of reasons and they were all called money.

Even Richitelli was more than frank. In an interview he said he was very upset with the Lions throwing him around as trade bait the year before and when an offer to good to refuse came along from GC it made it easy for him.

Even Luke Ball who was pi$$ed off with StKilda made it perfectly clear that he was so unhappy with the Saints that he had to leave for Collingwood and Collingwood only. His strategy was risky but basically clubs rarely pick up players who dont want to be at the club.

Thats Not throwing Darts.

Bailey would want MFC to grow 7 overcome our own issues to achieve success.

IMO our Major collective weakness is our total inability to be self introspective. http://en.wikipedia....i/Introspection

We keep looking at people trying to help us by telling us hometruths only to turn around and accuse them of being nasty. Very few AFL people are like this. Don't misunderstand honesty for being Vindictive.

We need as a club, to become Less Precious & Defensive.

+1 - absolutely spot on!!

You really don't think the "sign here and I'll hand you this cheque for $1,000,000" had any influence? That's 6, yes, count them, 6 zeros!

Young Tom will go into a different culture.

I heard that not one player on the GWS list has a drink.

He's a very lucky man.

The coach still does though!! Sheedy was half pi55ed when he spilt the beans about Tom's signing to some of Journos last Friday (specifically Tom Steinfort).......

Twitter convo at lunch last Friday went like this:

MFelgate7 Michael Felgate

@tomsteinfort and what is the latest with scully? When will we have announcement?

tomsteinfort Tom Steinfort

@MFelgate7 Will let ya know, Sheeds is powering through the beers so should spill all their signings in the next hour or so....

Sheedy just hinted very strongly to me that Tom Scully will be announced as a GWS player next Monday

To clarify - I said "what day next week will you announce Scully's signing?", Sheeds said "the early bird catches the worm"

The titular head of the organisation is a well known long-time pi55head.

Let's not paint GWS has a holier than though quasi religious tee-totaling organisation. They won't attract a single corporate sponsor without an ample supply of alcohol which = drinking culture. Some players may be able to divorce themselves from that, good luck to them! There is no way none of them will imbibe.

PS: Not to turn this into a $cully thread but this should also serve as further evidence that he is a lying S.O.B. in relation to if/when he agreed to sign up.

Edited by diesel

The coach still does though!! Sheedy was half pi55ed when he spilt the beans about Tom's signing to some of Journos last Friday (specifically Tom Steinfort).......

@tomsteinfort and what is the latest with scully? When will we have announcement?

@MFelgate7 Will let ya know, Sheeds is powering through the beers so should spill all their signings in the next hour or so....

Sheedy just hinted very strongly to me that Tom Scully will be announced as a GWS player next Monday

To clarify - I said "what day next week will you announce Scully's signing?", Sheeds said "the early bird catches the worm"

Let's not paint GWS has a holier than though quasi religious tee-totaling organisation. They won't attract a single corporate sponsor without an ample supply of alcohol which = drinking culture. Some players may be able to divorce themselves from that, good luck to them! There is no way none of them will imbibe.

PS: Not to turn this into a $cully thread but this should also serve as further evidence that he is a lying S.O.B. in relation to if/when he agreed to sign up.

I was taking the urine - for want of a better expression.

I was taking the urine - for want of a better expression.

You mean the pi55 don't you? :lol: Worth putting out there still given the innuendo put out there about the MFC and it's players in China contrasted against an organisation that Tom Scully had allegedly never had contact with up until Sunday morning! Was amazed he could make an assessment of how much better the culture was after 4 or 5 hours!

Edited by diesel

Scull's looks to me like a real Obsessive type... He didn't smile when recruited by the Dees, surely as he could see what we were doing onfield, and could see his dream of playing for his beloved Tigers slip sliding away as that fateful tigers kick @ goal went sailing through the middle..

IMO he would have resolved then & there, as any thoroughly Obsessive and elite sportsman could do. Get his back up against Us. His Will v Our Will. (I'm not going to give in) stalemate, goneski...

Remember he didn't smile when we photographed him with Trenners. But he does Now!

http://resources0.ne...-tom-scully.jpg

You mean the pi55 don't you? :lol: Worth putting out there still given the innuendo put out there about the MFC and it's players in China contrasted against an organisation that Tom Scully had allegedly never had contact with up until Sunday morning! Was amazed he could make an assessment of how much better the culture was after 4 or 5 hours!

You're right diesel - this kid will prove to be the biggest liar in all these 'negotiations', as time unfolds. But, who cares? The Club needs to move on, we'll all survive and I reckon we've dodged a real bullet.

For me, it's bring on the draft, bring on the new Coach, bring on the protein shakes and bring on the NAB cup!

Opening quote from the linked article:

'AXED Melbourne coach Dean Bailey says it would be naive to think this season's unrest at Demonland had not played a part in Tom Scully's decision to leave.

Scully yesterday joined Greater Western Sydney on a reported six-year, $6 million deal."

I knew all that bickering on this site about Scully would cause problems. It was our fault!