• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Compensation

CreedBratton

We need midfield stars - I'm with GOAG and E25 - trade with GWS for 1st pick in the U17 draft.

Gold Coast are apparently offering GWS their pick 4 this year. 1 mid first rounder and Bate is not going to beat that. We need to offer both picks to GWS and throw in Bate and Warnock to get the deal done. GWS would like the 5 year window with the picks. That's going to be hard to beat.

Scully for O'Meara full stop.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't get MM, then it may be worth one more year of pain to get the most out of the draft as some have proposed. Unfortunately, we've got a developing list and will be pushing finals for the next few years and therefore won't get full compensation for our picks. I think the Doggies, who are on the decline will benefit more from Ward leaving that we will from $cully.

I expect GWS to finish bottom next year, and I think Brisbane and Port will finish below us also. I think that leaves us with at best pick four next year, even if we tank. Best case scenario would be that none of the top picks select Viney and we an use picks four, five and eleven assuming no one else uses their compensation pick before us. Then we can pick Viney with our second round pick. I think this is too optimistic, but it's the best way that we can benefit from $cully leaving and the only way that we'll get fair compensation.

Guest Jack Donaghy

We need midfield stars - I'm with GOAG and E25 - trade with GWS for 1st pick in the U17 draft.

Gold Coast are apparently offering GWS their pick 4 this year. 1 mid first rounder and Bate is not going to beat that. We need to offer both picks to GWS and throw in Bate and Warnock to get the deal done. GWS would like the 5 year window with the picks. That's going to be hard to beat.

I'd do it, but I'd hold out for a better deal.

I think we can keep one compo pick and offer this year's first round pick instead.

2nd round if they'll take it.

Or Bate AND Warnock / Dunn / Bartram.

Whichever spud they want.

Or use whatever we get back from trading one of those guys to another club.

If anything.

I'm just hesistant to give them both.

I'd even give them a compo pick and Petterd.

I think that'd get it done.

*** by the way, is everyone aware that this "mini-draft" is actually held at the end of trade week?

Pick 1 is a foregone conclusion, obviously.

I reckon we consider the following:

Use pick 12 on this draft.

Pick 13 - Suss out a trade to GWS with Warnock and Bate packaged in return for 1st pick of the 17 yr olds and a 3rd round pick.

Pick 18 - Suss out a trade to Collingwood for Dawes

What that means is that in 2012 we'll pick up both Jaegar O'Meara and Jack Viney (using our first pick next year).

That would be a solid return.

I'd do it, but I'd hold out for a better deal.

You're competing against 2011 pick 4 for a start off. I don't think GWS is going to be interested in 2011 pick 12 but pick 4 is a different story.

If you were GWS - pick 4 or mid first round compo pick + Petterd - what would you take? It's pick 4 all the way for me, the pointy end of the draft is where you need to be.

IMHO it's very important to get an elite mid onto our list. Add in Viney and we're looking good.

PS. I'd be willing to trade pick 12 this year for an experienced mid with leadership qualities if we could find one. I've mentioned Scott Thompson previously as an example - the fact that he won Adelaide's B&F wouldn't help us - if anyone's got any other suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them.

The notion of getting Scott Pendlebury next year is laughable - he'll be at Collingwood or maybe GWS - any other idea is channelling hangon007.

Edited by old55

Are you sure they wouldn't prefer a compo pick as opposed to pick 4? Surely having two picks in the top 12 in future drafts would be better than going from 7 to 8 in this years'? Especially if it is to be believed that this years' draft represents slim pickings.......

Guest Jack Donaghy

I think you're right.

From GWS perspective, it's both picks or they go elsewhere.

They know we have both and will push real hard for them.

I think a compo pick and this year's pick 12 would trump pick 4 though, and might just get it done.

But if GC really want O'Meara, they can offer pick 4 AND a compo pick.

I also wouldn't discount another team getting involved, offering a player like Sam Mitchell (but not him - I don't think he'll go).

But we need to bring in sure-fire elite talent. O'Meara is that.

If we end up not being able to compete for pick 1, I'd still barter for pick 2, but strictly 1 compo pick only in that case.

But if GC really want O'Meara, they can offer pick 4 AND a compo pick.

Now that would start to hurt.

Bob is on record suggesting the 2 compo picks + pick 12, that's where I start to get a bit dizzy.

Pick 13 - Suss out a trade to GWS with Warnock and Bate packaged in return for 1st pick of the 17 yr olds and a 3rd round pick.

What that means is that in 2012 we'll pick up both Jaegar O'Meara and Jack Viney (using our first pick next year).

This is the worst draft in 15 years past pick 10-12. No club will be keen on trading picks for players.

Wouldn't that be great they finish up with Scully and the two compensation picks we get for him, wonderful.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea just the fact we'd be getting stitched up by them twice in the same year, they get Scully for nothing then our two draft picks for nothing; they can't pick one of these players so they effectively lose nothing.

This is the worst draft in 15 years past pick 10-12. No club will be keen on trading picks for players.

Pick 18 is our 2nd compo pick. Collingwood could hold onto it and use that "middle of the first round" pick in any of the next 4 years.

I'm not suggesting they use it in this year's draft, because you're right, it's compromised and shallow. Change your thoughts?

How do we get pick 13 and pick 18 in this years draft?

AFL ruling re:Tompensation:

Should Melbourne wish to activate the selection in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, during the expansion-period Drafts, the selection would be placed at the end of Round One.

Edited by ChaserJ

Guest Jack Donaghy

Now that would start to hurt.

Bob is on record suggesting the 2 compo picks + pick 12, that's where I start to get a bit dizzy.

2 compo picks and steak knives (Warnock / Dunn / Bate...) is my absolute limit.

I know that we thought pick 2 wasn't even worth pick 8 & 9 back in the 09 draft...

But 3 top 15 picks, 2 of them in a supposedly "super draft"..? (09 was reported to be "weak")

It's just far too much.

* speaking of picks 8 & 9 (Butcher & Moore), I wonder what we'd offer if Butcher were available?

Wouldn't that be great they finish up with Scully and the two compensation picks we get for him, wonderful.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea just the fact we'd be getting stitched up by them twice in the same year, they get Scully for nothing then our two draft picks for nothing; they can't pick one of these players so they effectively lose nothing.

Sure GWS get a great deal - that's the way the AFL structured the rules. But we get O'Meara for Scully - that's far more important than worrying about GWS.

Guest Jack Donaghy

I don't care what GWS paid for them - I care what return we can get for them.

If we trade them to GWS for O'Meara, for us it'd be like Scully for O'Meara.

A good deal I think.

We lose 2-3 years development, but we also divest the knee issues and the chance his small build will prevent him from being elite like he should be.

Obviously we don't want to pay over the odds, but I think the odds are about right.

I think we'll be finishing in the wrong part ofthe ladder for those compo picks to be worth too much to us.

It hurts...

Sure GWS get a great deal - that's the way the AFL structured the rules. But we get O'Meara for Scully - that's far more important than worrying about GWS.

But Old's right...

(sigh)

Edited by rpfc

If we get to pick one of these 17yo players they won't play for us until 2013, most of our list by 2013 will be 21-24yo and you would expect with two more preseasons they will have the bigger bodies that we be able to compete. I have no problems using both the compensation picks to secure more young players.

I think Warnock and the mid first round pick is a good deal to try and get one of these 17yo. You might even throw in Bate or Dunn or Maric to close the deal. Better still throw in all three and the other pick and go for 2 picks, that would give us three of the best 17yo in the land(including Viney).

Edited by drdrake

Scenario 1 - We keep all the picks and use them, most likely next season. I think we're in for one more year of 'pain' ie no finals, so next year is the obvious choice. Let's say we finish 12th, our picks would be:

7 (normal pick),

8 (comp pick after our normal pick)

11 (Comp pick, mid round)

Careful here ... we're not the only club with live compo picks. Not sure of who's holding what, and how this plays out, but I don't believe it's as clear-cut a picture as that.

Guest Jack Donaghy

How about:

2 compo picks

2011 pick 12

Bats / Warnock / Maric...

FOR

pick 1 & 2 in 17 year old draft.

(O'Meara, Crouch & Viney - very nice little injection of talent)

Guest Jack Donaghy

It's worth checking out the 2012 draft forecast I linked to in the other compo pick thread on the FAJT board, to see where our compo picks will likely occur.

I don't think any of them will be top 10 picks.

Super draft or no, that's not exactly great.

I have posted this in another thread:

We must absolutely go after O'Meara if he is as good as they say he is.

The best teams always have elite midfielders and we need to replace Scully with an elite midfielder.

We should be in a reasonable position with our compensation picks.

The compensation picks can be used any time over a five year period so this would give GWS a chance to build their list through a number of different drafts, rather than just relying on the 2011 draft (which is reportedly not that strong) to build up their talent.

Gold Coast would be the big threat given their compensation picks, but other than them we should be able to offer GWS more in terms of draft picks than other clubs could offer.

If we couldn't get O'Meara but we believed that there would be an elite midfielder available at say pick 5 this year who we think would be better than someone available at pick 11 next year, we could look to trade one of the compensation picks to GWS for pick 5 in this year's draft and pick up that elite midfielder in 2011.

BTW What was with Garry making those comments on FC about GWS? Pretty stupid comment IMO given GWS will potentially be the key to us getting adequate compensation for Scully. We need to do a trade with them and need a good working relationship.

Edited by Scoop Junior

I don't think we should get O'Meara for a few reasons now.

1) If GC are willing to use pick 4 plus their Geelong compo pick, that's instantly over the top of our two picks. It's becoming way, way too expensive.

2) The go-home factor.

3) We can wait and tilt for picks in next year's draft.

Jack Viney is good enough that if he wasn't F/S he'd be in contention for going at #1 in the draft. There's a lot of talent by all reports in next year's draft, so we may be able to pick up elite mids later in the draft. Coupled with Jack and Billy Stretch, I'm thinking if we're going to tilt at a compo pick we tilt at the second one at the most.