Matthew Bate

Captain Jack Jordan

All Bate did today is increase his trade value

+1

Bate's a good VFL player who has had plenty of chances to secure a spot in the side.

Lets not make the same mistake we made with Miller after the 06' semi when he probably saved his spot then.

His game today does give him some value though to a club who may take a punt. I reckon St. Kilda may. They're looking for a 3rd tall forward. Picked up Gamble for this season with little success, so maybe Bate may interest them . Obviously we'd probably be looking at a 4th round pick at best, unless we packaged him in a deal, maybe Bate & our 3rd round pick for St. Kilda's 2nd?

Guest Gareth Keenan

Kicked a goal after one today from 40 out right of screen.

Yeah, I said "almost."

I was shocked when he did that. Must be his first for the year.

Sorry, but anyone that thinks Bate is worth keeping has NFI.

Disagree if you like, but in the end, Bate will be gone because those in charge understand better than you do.

Bate has had 7 years, that's right, 7 years to prove himself as a player for the MFC and because of this 1 game you are basing your decision. Pfft, talk about accepting mediocrity. All today did was enhance Bate's trade value. We have way too many passengers on our list, who only go when they have to. Whether it be for a new contract (i'm looking at you flash), or playing for their careers (Bate, Morton, etc). Such a pi$$ weak attitude is a big reason as to why we have been so poor this year. The attitude from far too many is so far short of what is required to play AFL it isn't funny. For too long now, too many at the MFC have felt that they are deserving of their place on an AFL list, they have forgotten what a privilege it is to play at the top level, let alone earn such a ridiculous amount of money. In any other industry, if so many played so poorly for such a period, they would get the arse.

If it were up to me, i'd be getting rid of at least 8 players this year, it's probably lucky that i'm not in charge, but it would definitely send the message to the playing list. You want your wage? you want to play AFL? You want to put on the red and blue guernsey and represent the MFC? You show me why you should get the chance, you earn it.

Players i would trade/get rid of - Bartram, Bate, Dunn, Maric, Morton, Scully (for obvious reasons), Spencer, Warnock. These players have either had way too many chances to prove themselves, have passed their use-by-date, or are simply sub-afl standard.

Players that are teetering on falling into above category - Bennell, Davey, Green, Jetta, J.MacDonald, Rivers, Wonaeamirri (agonising, but injuries and recent tragic events might have gotten the best of him - God i hope not because he has real passion).

That's 8 player's i'd get rid of, and another 7 that are threatening to fall into the category. In total i have doubts on 15 players on our senior list, aka 34%. Many might disagree with me, but there is no question that all of these players are treading a fine line, the former 8 have gone over the line. Will we get rid of all these 8 players? Absolutely not. Should we?..........yes.

Sure this years draft is rather shallow, but for us to be serious about moving up the ladder, we need to get rid of the dead-wood that is holding us back, plain and simple. Trade in players, or draft players from 2nd tier competitions that will give 100%, like Myles Sewell (this guy is champing at the bit for a go in the AFL). We are not in the friend making business, we are in the premiership winning business. Mediocrity has resulted in a now 48 year premiership drought. Anything less than a ruthless approach will continue the rot.

Be ruthless, make no apologies, be DEMONS. And it starts with those who are responsible on a weekly basis, the players. Anything less is unacceptable.

agree entirely. Achieves little that is really constructive

Bates about to join the ranks of the VFL........

If it were up to me, i'd be getting rid of at least 8 players this year, it's probably lucky that i'm not in charge, but it would definitely send the message to the playing list. You want your wage? you want to play AFL? You want to put on the red and blue guernsey and represent the MFC? You show me why you should get the chance, you earn it.

Players i would trade/get rid of - Bartram, Bate, Dunn, Maric, Morton, Scully (for obvious reasons), Spencer, Warnock. These players have either had way too many chances to prove themselves, have passed their use-by-date, or are simply sub-afl standard.

Players that are teetering on falling into above category - Bennell, Davey, Green, Jetta, J.MacDonald, Rivers, Wonaeamirri (agonising, but injuries and recent tragic events might have gotten the best of him - God i hope not because he has real passion).

That's 8 player's i'd get rid of, and another 7 that are threatening to fall into the category. In total i have doubts on 15 players on our senior list, aka 34%. Many might disagree with me, but there is no question that all of these players are treading a fine line, the former 8 have gone over the line. Will we get rid of all these 8 players? Absolutely not. Should we?..........yes.

Sure this years draft is rather shallow, but for us to be serious about moving up the ladder, we need to get rid of the dead-wood that is holding us back, plain and simple. Trade in players, or draft players from 2nd tier competitions that will give 100%, like Myles Sewell (this guy is champing at the bit for a go in the AFL). We are not in the friend making business, we are in the premiership winning business. Mediocrity has resulted in a now 48 year premiership drought. Anything less than a ruthless approach will continue the rot.

Dont agree until you lay out your plan to move forward.....

..... cut a third of the list and recruit from second tier competitions for success.....

...... that is when I realised you were using the old writers technique of describing a complete farce to draw others out......

Please confirm this is the case [Deleted]

Yeah, I said "almost."

I was shocked when he did that. Must be his first for the year.

Sorry, but anyone that thinks Bate is worth keeping has NFI.

Disagree if you like, but in the end, Bate will be gone because those in charge understand better than you do.

Maybe.

But his performance yesterday in the midfield, including a couple of strong contested marks, looked totally different to the Bate we have come to know.

He is supposed to have starred in the midfield with Casey one week prior.

You might be right. Alternatively, Viney might have found his spot or a way to get him going.

From what I saw yesterday he gets another chance. He actually has a body big enough to compete in the middle, something we lack.

Guest Gareth Keenan

And that is why he looked mildly successful against the bottom team - because we have no other big bodies in the middle. Yet.

I we only have aspirations to finish in the bottom half of the ladder, Bate will do us fine.

But he won't be able to compete with top 4 midfields.

Not even middle rung midfields.

His limitations heavily outweigh his abilities.

Not clean with the ball, awkward kicking, poor overhead marking, almost non-existent agility, poor acceleration, no right foot...

Bate showed us enough yesterday to suggest he might be able to do a Jobe Watson and be a slow but more than handy on-baller. (I stress "might".) I would give him a chance to do so but he (and Moloney and Trengove) need some help! Our midfield has been poor all year with great service from our ruckmen but an inability to maximise their opportunities. We need to draft and/or trade for pacy midfielders.

And Bate shocked me yesterday. I'm sure I saw him kick with his right foot at least twice. If he can improve on his right side, he might actually become valuable.

I agree with your views on that list of players

But the reality is we cant cull all of them.

Of your trade/get rid of I'd keep Bate Bartram and Scully (if available)

Morton up for grabs for a trade.

Bate and Bartram stay for no other reason as they are handy players

and not much more than that.

Thats 4 players off the list ... 5 if Scully takes the $$ and runs.

Nicholson comes off the rookie list the smart play might be to have him swap places with Maric.

Rookie list:

Newton surely has to go this time

Cant see Tom McNamara surving, but I would like to leave him there for another year,

may have found something playing in the midfield, still only 20 @190cms

Campbell , Handy backup and 1 more year to get back some form and over injuries.

At 29 mid next year, might go anyway.

With Martin stepping up and Gawn coming along Campbell may not stay.

Johnston and Evans could go either way.

What we lack is a game breaker.... our own Judd / Ablett

Sylvia is our man, but sometimes I need to check the footy record

is make sure he was selected to play.

Green has to stay in the forward line, playing him in the midfield

has failed, he is a receiver, and converts goals.

Looking back over the year, I thought we were about par with

wins and losses, we were knocking on the door for the 8.

What was a kick in the guts, were the huge losses when we lost.

I was expecting us to lose about the amount we did, but not to

roll over, I expected to have close losses,be competitive all games.

So Bate could be lucky, and stay another year.

Newtown has had more chances, and still done nothing.

The above names mentioned, all need to pull out their

fingers next year, because somebody has to go for 2113.

Like most forwards at the club Bate is a victim sub standard forward line delivery. We crucify our forwards. I suspect that given an opportunity at another club with a well drilled mid field supplying the forwards he would flourish. His game today was excellent, his willingness to present can't be questioned. I for one have always thought the problem with our forward line lay further up the field.

Partially true but Bate has got more problems then delivery.

I think Bate is an AFL standard player but I don't think he is mentally strong enough. Loses confidence so easily.

Goes to the same school as Morton.

He played great against the bottom side, who we lost against.

Give him a 6-year contract!

Lol. Yep. Judging individuals during those last 3 junk time games is dangerous i reckon. Having said that i don't think Matty was given a decent shot at it to try and show or regain any type of 'AFL level' form in the seniors during the year prior to junk time commencing. He was in for a week, out again, in for a week or 2. Out again. Poor management IMO.

Many commentators who've played at both levels say it takes at the very least 2 - 3 weeks in a row to pick up the pace from VFL to AFL level and gain AFL match fitness. The silver fox said the same earlier this year when asked about it. He must have a fair idea.

IMO this leaves us really not knowing what his true value is.....either way. I feel sorry for Matty in this regard.