Viney throws his hat in for Coach

McQueen

Well it's official, Todd Viney will be interviewed for the vacant coaching job.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122414/default.aspx

No doubt his CV reads very well and he is a Demon though-and-through.

Fact remains, he is an in-experienced coach.

What are his chances?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, so now we lose Jack Viney as well...

Sooooo we hire Todd Viney and that means we don't draft Jack Viney?

Weird comment.

The question would have to be asked whether or not Jack Viney would be ok with it but I can imagine he would love his dad to coach.

I have seen many father/son coaching/playing duos in my life and alot of the time the kid loves it.

Sometimes they hate it, but I think MFC and the Viney family would be smart enough to not do it if Jack was against it at all....

Edited by Demons 32

He wants feedback from the club, "then we'll see how we go" he says.

Still its fair to say that his focus isn't entirely on the Player Development role as it was.

All the feedback from the players has been very positive.

This smells of the club going to Viney and saying.."look, Malthouse is interested in coaching us but not until 2013... he needs a year off... can we come to some arrangement that you stay on for another 12 months and then we get our man after that..."

I hope this is not the case but its plausible..effectively putting the club on hold for 12 months..

This smells of the club going to Viney and saying.."look, Malthouse is interested in coaching us but not until 2013... he needs a year off... can we come to some arrangement that you stay on for another 12 months and then we get our man after that..."

I hope this is not the case but its plausible..effectively putting the club on hold for 12 months..

It smells like we are going through the motions of selecting a new coach.

I hope we go through these motions until around mid October and then Malthouse signs two weeks after saying he is taking a break from footy.

I dont think there would be any 12 month arrangement with Mick taking over after that, because if Viney is successful and well liked we would be silly to lose him, and he would probably want to stay.

Edited by DeeZee

Thought the same thing myself, although I don't think it would be putting the club on hold for 12 months, rather it would get us far closer to a flag if we indeed secure Mick in 12 months time!!

Weird comment.

I interpreted Supermercado's comment differently. I thought he was implying that if Todd doesn't get the job, he may leave, and therefore we may lose Jack as well.

The last two caretaker coaches for Melbourne (Hutchison and Riley) both left after unsuccesfully applying for the job.

I've got the utmost respect for Viney, but all of his talk since taking on the role has been that he doesn't want to coach.

Surely he has been around the game long enough to know now whether it's something he wants to seriously pursue or not.

Now after a win, he is contemplating throwing his hat into the ring.

Personally, I'd prefer he didn't................I don't think this is the sort of job you can afford to go into unsure of whether you truly want to do it or not.

And I'd hate to see a club legend chopped as coach if things don't work out.

i signed up just for this

Todd Viney as a coach for the Demons would be a stupid decision hes crap!

MALTHOUSE OR NO ONE!!!!!

Melbourne have to get there hand out of their pockets, offer some good money to Malthouse and pester him like the Filth did when he was at West Coast!

Weird comment.

The question would have to be asked whether or not Jack Viney would be ok with it but I can imagine he would love his dad to coach.

I have seen many father/son coaching/playing duos in my life and alot of the time the kid loves it.

Sometimes they hate it, but I think MFC and the Viney family would be smart enough to not do it if Jack was against it at all....

I think you'd find Jack has been coached by his father since he started kicking a footy around the backyard.

i signed up just for this

Todd Viney as a coach for the Demons would be a stupid decision hes crap

Todd, crap?

You've just signed up... Crap.