Trading Ricky Petterd

Guest Gareth Keenan

Ricky for me is one of those "untouchable" players. He would have kicked an extra 10-15 goals this season if we could deliver the f'ing ball into the forwardline properly.

Good clubman, good player. We need more players at the club that bleed for the jumper. You don't trade those blokes.

Agree 100%! Bottom line is the club won't do it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for those who say Petterd is an untouchable - if Petterd is in the untouchable group then who can we trade?

In my opinion he's the sort of middle ground player that is most tradeable. You'd never get enough to cover the loss of Trengove, Frawley et al in a trade, and Bate, Dunn et al would fetch nothing worth bothering with. It's the middle part of the list that is most vulnerable to trade and that's where Petterd firmly sits.

Like I said I wouldn't actively seek to trade him as I don't see the point, but I'd be willing to listen to offers.

I would listen to offers, but he has an attitude that I admire in teammates that I play with.

He is aggressive and competitive and can play a role very well...at times.

As he is simply a HFF, he would never be untouchable, but it would take a bit to pry him away.

I agree- but Petterd has good upside and shows flexibility.A huge pre season wouldn't go astray.

Absolutely. Ricky can really turn it on when the boys have their tails up. When the improvement we're all waiting for starts to take place, Ricky will be key to that.

On top of that, I can't think of any time that he's shown a lack of commitment.

As I said, the info I got from the club just said he'd been dropped.

And once again, I obviously don't propose who we trade him for.

I said, a lot of posters have been making demands that we trade in a mature-bodied player or 2.

I'm merely introducing the notion that if we are to trade in decent players, we'll need to give up decent players.

Like Petterd.

Calm down, read slowly, comprehend, then reply.

I certainly don't want to trade him, but I do want to improve our list, and I understand that for that to happen, we need to make sacrifices.

Ta.

Definitely injured! I was at training for a while after the Casey Demons breakfast this morning, and he was just walking laps of the oval.

If we're looking at trading players or players we should get rid of, it should be those that aren't hard enough or tough enough to give a consistently hard effort at the ball.

Players like Bennell, Morton and Maric.

What we need is a bit of the Sydney Swans. new players come in there and know what is expected of them if they are to get an game. Like that [censored] ad, "nothing soft gets through". Make that the starting point.

Petterd has a fair bit of skill, the ability to pull of the spectacular out of nothing, and has a big dip. Therefore, I like him.

Guest Gareth Keenan

If we're looking at trading players or players we should get rid of, it should be those that aren't hard enough or tough enough to give a consistently hard effort at the ball.

Players like Bennell, Morton and Maric.

What we need is a bit of the Sydney Swans. new players come in there and know what is expected of them if they are to get an game. Like that [censored] ad, "nothing soft gets through". Make that the starting point.

Petterd has a fair bit of skill, the ability to pull of the spectacular out of nothing, and has a big dip. Therefore, I like him.

Yep, there's teams lining up on Swan st now to trade for soft players.

High currency, they have.

Honestly...

And the majority of players begin soft, until they learn to be hard and courageous.

Voss and Buckley are examples.

Would you be willing to give Ricky up? NO!

If not, who else? Morton, Bate, Dunn, Green, Evans, Mcnamara, Spencer, Warnock...

What do you think we could get in return? Lake, Goddard, Fevola, Lovett, pick 10, pick 19...

Who should we target? Brain Lake, Brendon Goddard.... Mick Malthouse

Also Keep Tom Scully!!!!

'I'm mostly only happy to trade guys who can't get a game in a bottom-8 side, although I'll trade the 21 year old #4 pick who has stalled a bit or the 30-year old captain who was AA last year but is struggling big time now.

However, despite adamantly refusing to trade someone who actually gets a game most weeks and plays in a position for which we have a plethora of players, I want someone like Goddard'.

This is a good example of why I avoid most of the trading discussion :P

Yep, there's teams lining up on Swan st now to trade for soft players.

High currency, they have.

Honestly...

And the majority of players begin soft, until they learn to be hard and courageous.

Voss and Buckley are examples.

Not suggesting we trade the 'soft' players I mentioned. The issue I have is giving them games when they continue to play the same way. Don't give them a game until they change. New players don't get a game till they are willing to "put their head over the footy and step into it"

Guest Gareth Keenan

Fully understand the OP, and think this is by far the best response.

Some on here continually abuse others for accepting mediocrity, yet some of those are convinced we can't live without Petterd, interesting...

Agree, Jaded's response was bang on.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Not suggesting we trade the 'soft' players I mentioned. The issue I have is giving them games when they continue to play the same way. Don't give them a game until they change. New players don't get a game till they are willing to "put their head over the footy and step into it"

I can't disagree with that.

I wasnt thinking about trading Petterd but earlier today i thought to myself, i think SEN said the word Lecras.... and i thought how many genuinely good medium forwards are there in the league??

Lecras,Stevie J, Didak.. any others?

O'Keefe?

And we have Bate, Dunn, Petterd, Jurrah, Howe

To many imo and none in the top echelon, but we wouldnt get much value from Dunn and Bate

Onto Petterd, would have some value, has obvious talents, what would i want?? some involvement in the GWS's mini draft at pick 1 or 2, i know he wont do the deal on his own but thats something i would take in return

In a young & underdeveloped list, who says where these players will be in 3 years. Ricky Bobby has the biggest motivation to improve, PASSION!

Ricky is one of the few players on the list who is talented, loves the club and doesn't have a pea heart. People forget what he came back from, almost died on the field as an 18 year old and knocked back a big offer from GC. Can't lose players like him. Also his mum is a nice lady.

You're pathetic GR, and well done Nasher.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Ricky Petterd practices an exponential workrate, resilience and passion for the Guernsey

your argument is unfounded

"exponential workrate"?

He does work hard, but let's not overlook that he was dropped earlier in the season, because of a lack of defensive intensity.

Guest Guy Rigoni

You're pathetic GR, and well done Nasher.

It's pathetic to commend a true demon for coming back against adversity? please uppercut yourself mate and buy a 2012 membership.

That's a bit like calling arsenic a sweetener.

Ha.

'I'm mostly only happy to trade guys who can't get a game in a bottom-8 side, although I'll trade the 21 year old #4 pick who has stalled a bit or the 30-year old captain who was AA last year but is struggling big time now.

However, despite adamantly refusing to trade someone who actually gets a game most weeks and plays in a position for which we have a plethora of players, I want someone like Goddard'.

This is a good example of why I avoid most of the trading discussion :P

Although you like to read it. Admit it. :P

Ricky Petterd isn't untradable however I wouldn't trade him right now. At this stage I believe his value to us is greater than his open market value. Some may scream at me but I feel similarly about Morton.

I don't really feel we need to trade at this stage of our development either, however; I'd look at trading Sylvia to get something decent in the short term.

Players I wouldn't mind at the right price would be one or two of: Josh Toy, Xavier Ellis, Kane Cornes, Steve Salopek, Nathan Foley or Shane Tuck.

Edited by Jimmi C

Question for those who say Petterd is an untouchable - if Petterd is in the untouchable group then who can we trade?

In my opinion he's the sort of middle ground player that is most tradeable. You'd never get enough to cover the loss of Trengove, Frawley et al in a trade, and Bate, Dunn et al would fetch nothing worth bothering with. It's the middle part of the list that is most vulnerable to trade and that's where Petterd firmly sits.

Like I said I wouldn't actively seek to trade him as I don't see the point, but I'd be willing to listen to offers.

Great list building nasher. Keep the 'middleaged & ordinary', and move out our 'middle aged 2nd tier players', who have good upside? Great depth strengthening.

I'd say we'd be better, moving the good over 28's on, even if it's unpopular, (tough decisions) but more rewarding.

The no upside 2nd tier can get traded for steak knives.

Great list building nasher. Keep the 'middleaged & ordinary', and move out our 'middle aged 2nd tier players', who have good upside? Great depth strengthening.

I'd say we'd be better, moving the good over 28's on, even if it's unpopular, (tough decisions) but more rewarding.

The no upside 2nd tier can get traded for steak knives.

?

- We can't (and don't want to) trade the Frawleys, Trengoves etc because nobody will offer enough to make it worth our while

- We can't trade the Dunns, Bates, Marics or Warnocks. This isn't because I don't want to: I'd love to trade Lynden Dunn for Brendon Goddard like "tatu" suggested, but somehow I don't think St. Kilda would buy it. I'd take GWS's pick 108 or whatever for Matty Bate, but about one of these trades get pulled off each year - if it's us this year then I'll do backflips. Best we start getting used to the fact that Dunn will be on our list next year and if Bate isn't it will only be because we delisted him in contract. Maric and Warnock's only saviours will be the draft, nobody is going to buy them in a trade.

- According to you, we can't trade Petterd either because there's so much upside or whatever.

In my eyes that doesn't leave any class of player that we can actually trade. If I've missed it, then which is it?

Lets not ask who we should trade, its more like who should we sign? I personally think we should sign Fevola to a one year deal with possible extension review half way through 2012. People would very much disagree with this, but, hes itching to play footy again, and would be a true full forward. Pretty much never leaving the forward 20 until he leads. Melbourne need someone like that. Imagine how Jurrah and Petterd would play next to him as a 2nd and 3rd option. Its easy, Fevola stuffs up, drop him to Casey. Its not even a gamble signing him (seeing we seem to rotate our forwards to Casey quite abit!!). It should be a gimme, and he might have loyalty seeing Casey gave him a lifeline. Imagine for the forst time in over 12 months (his first game in 2012) and someone is leading from deep....all game like a target forward should!

?

- We can't (and don't want to) trade the Frawleys, Trengoves etc because nobody will offer enough to make it worth our while

- We can't trade the Dunns, Bates, Marics or Warnocks. This isn't because I don't want to: I'd love to trade Lynden Dunn for Brendon Goddard like "tatu" suggested, but somehow I don't think St. Kilda would buy it. I'd take GWS's pick 108 or whatever for Matty Bate, but about one of these trades get pulled off each year - if it's us this year then I'll do backflips. Best we start getting used to the fact that Dunn will be on our list next year and if Bate isn't it will only be because we delisted him in contract. Maric and Warnock's only saviours will be the draft, nobody is going to buy them in a trade.

- According to you, we can't trade Petterd either because there's so much upside or whatever.

In my eyes that doesn't leave any class of player that we can actually trade. If I've missed it, then which is it?

The ones you've suggested we could move on when we have kids taking their places, the Dunns and Bates etc.

But Not the Petterds because he's a med' size who can play tall and with passion. This can be a real game breaker when in a good side. He's a hard matchup as the Pies discovered last year, I think. He also has the zeal to really take it on when he's confident. He's still learning & we really lack players with go get it type attitude.

So IMO Petterd has more than some people are realising. He's got to settle down under a good coach to realise his abilities.

So for Me we can only look to players of mature af=ge who we can cover with our Young now coming through. Gawn and Martin cover Jamar, with help from Campbell.... Davey is covered by Bail, Nicholson, Bennell, Blease, & exciting rookie, Lawrence.

So I think these are hard decisions to call, but are of most trade Value, IF the guys want to go get some $$$. They both have 3 years max, (maybe 2) left with our kids coming up.

These are the guys that could help facilitate an O'meara or similar? Or a Boak?