• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons offer Clarkson 5 year deal [2011]

barpen

I have a Conspiracy Theory- Happy to take Clarkson but Clarkson might not be our actual target...I still think Malthouse is a chance. 5mins after collingwoods season finishes...Malthouse is effectly out of a job. Thereafter he really becomes a collingwood puppet.

Lyon and Co have obviously made a list and are working through it.

I suspect all this will accomplish is a bigger pay check for Clarkson from Hawthorn.. Hope Clarko buys Gazza a few beers !! :rolleyes:

I suspect all this will accomplish is a bigger pay check for Clarkson from Hawthorn.. Hope Clarko buys Gazza a few beers !! :rolleyes:

If it reduces the Hawthorn Coffers it will be a good result for me.

Do not believe he will seriously consider leaving Hawthorn.

Would you?

Jeff Kennet only has himself to blame.

You might conclude so in terms of thinking they will have to pay more but on the other hand the fact that ass-clown is leaving Hawthorn at the end of the season may mean Clarko is more likely to stay there for less?

I just love the fact we've shown some chutzpah and made this offer. Proving we're not afraid to lay the cards on the table. Also show's Mick what he could expect if he wanted.

Totally agree. Clarkson was always going to stay, but it is a nice way to let Mick know whats on offer without causing MM headlines.

Totally agree. Clarkson was always going to stay, but it is a nice way to let Mick know whats on offer without causing MM headlines.

If Kennett wasn't leaving I reckon we'd have a show with Clarkson.

Kennett:

"I'm not aware of any offer, but I would be very surprised if all of those clubs looking for new coaches would approach Alastair," Kennett said last night.

"Because next year there will be only two premiership coaches remaining in the competition - John Worsfold and Alastair - with Mick Malthouse being replaced."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-clarkson-five-20110818-1j0b2.html#ixzz1VROkhaNT

I guess that means Geelong can't win it this year (likely Qualifying final Geelong v Hawthorn) I bet Clarko loves this sort of thing.

And what about Sheedy - he'll be 4x Premiership coach next year, with Williams a premiership coach doing the real coaching.

Is there anyone more ignorant about football in such a position?

Anyway, if nothing else, the Clarko offer telegraphs to MM our intentions.

If Kennett wasn't leaving I reckon we'd have a show with Clarkson.

Anyway, if nothing else, the Clarko offer telegraphs to MM our intentions.

Agree on both counts.

Its not just the nature of the offer, its what it says to other prospective candidates. We are serious

From the outside looking in (pretending that you're not in this situation is very amusing) I would find it odd if:

(1) Hawthorn didn't offer Clarkson a new contract;

(2) Clarkson didn't sign a new contract with Hawthorn; and/or

(3) Clarkson signed for Melbourne, given I think (1) and (2) are very likely.

By the way, why do people say that coaches like Eade and Sheedy were "sacked" by their clubs?

You have a three-year contract. Those three years are up. Club does not offer a new contract. Who got sacked?

Means to the same end, no job

You might conclude so in terms of thinking they will have to pay more but on the other hand the fact that ass-clown is leaving Hawthorn at the end of the season may mean Clarko is more likely to stay there for less?

Love or hate Clarkson...he has gotten the hawks a flag...Hawks will have to pay more now than they would have during the season...there is three clubs looking for new coaches.

Kennet was always leaving at the end of this season...that was my understanding.

Gotta love Kennet and his Ego...not the first time it has brought him unstuck...Kennet is left poltics with egg on his face...now he's leaving the hawks with egg on his face...

the offer smells fishy, i reckon its MFC way of getting back at Hawthorn & Kennett. Whether they call our bluff and raise the stakes only time will tell. We may as well go after a Choco Williams for 1/2 the cost and he'll reem the most of this list I believe

that may be the theory old bean but is often not the practice

i won't bother sending my resume, you couldn't afford me :)

I know of a lot of business who act on instinct, experience and gut feel to make large decisions (without outside input) and I dont have a problem with that.

But to suggest spending copious amounts of money on research/consultants to justify your position - bad business 101 UNLESS it is necessary to get consultants/research to give opinion etc which you already know the outcome to give a better understanding to people who dont have a thorough understanding.

Consultants are frequently used in private equity world for the express purpose

Maybe the one million per year offer should use on a person already with the club right now.

Like Tom Scully :)

It seems like we have lots of money on our bag right now.

I'd much rather spend a million a year on a premiership coach who will boost the whole group than a spotty 19-year-old who's holding the club to ransom. I would love Clarko - but I can't see him leaving the Hawks, alas.

Guest fitness

Good on Caro for getting this story (presuming it's correct). But gee whizz, do football administrators have big mouths or what? I reckon the MFC would be furious that this Clarkson offer has leaked out... doesn't augur well for future interviews/discussions with other prospective coaches once Clarkson turns us down.

Good on Caro for getting this story (presuming it's correct). But gee whizz, do football administrators have big mouths or what? I reckon the MFC would be furious that this Clarkson offer has leaked out... doesn't augur well for future interviews/discussions with other prospective coaches once Clarkson turns us down.

I wouldn't say that.

It's probably a deliberate leak - get the word out that we have money to spend, so that other people know that we can compete in the marketplace.

Also, gets the story off 'The Internal Crisis at Melbourne'...

I'm not sure it's such a bad thing, fitness. It puts Malthouse in the frame as well. We have the cash to spend on a coach and a young, talented list. If Clarkson declines then Mick has his turn.

I wouldn't say that.

It's probably a deliberate leak - get the word out that we have money to spend, so that other people know that we can compete in the marketplace.

who said money can't buy happiness? \o/

I wouldn't say that.

to say nothng of putting a shot across Kennet's bow !! :rolleyes:

Two points

1. Is this another knee-jerk reaction? I thought we were putting a process in place to find the best "value for money" candidate available. Is Clarkson so far ahead of the field that nobody else even warrants an interview? We know from several recent articles that Gary is a huge fan - but he was one of those who recommended Bailey .... so his judgment is not perfect.

2. What chance is there of Clarkson leaving a club which is still in the premiership window - with money, facilities and supporters ? Now that Jeff's gone, Hawthorn must look pretty attractive to him. If could well be that all we are doing is pushing up Hawthorn's offer price - and flagging to the footy world that whoever we finally get will not be our preferred choice.

Let's hope Caro's off the money with this one

Two points

1. Is this another knee-jerk reaction? I thought we were putting a process in place to find the best "value for money" candidate available. Is Clarkson so far ahead of the field that nobody else even warrants an interview? We know from several recent articles that Gary is a huge fan - but he was one of those who recommended Bailey .... so his judgment is not perfect.

2. What chance is there of Clarkson leaving a club which is still in the premiership window - with money, facilities and supporters ? Now that Jeff's gone, Hawthorn must look pretty attractive to him. If could well be that all we are doing is pushing up Hawthorn's offer price - and flagging to the footy world that whoever we finally get will not be our preferred choice.

Let's hope Caro's off the money with this one

1. F... the process. If you internally agree that one person is amongst a few targets, their CV is very good and they are out of contract - you let them know that you are an option.

2. Who gives if we push up his price? We are acting now because we cannot act later. Can't wait for him to sign a contract with the Hawks. And who cares if we are showing our hand? Too many on here are worried about perceptions. I think with our problems - people who don't think we are a basket case won't be swayed by trying to get Clarkson.