2012 - Captain & Leadership Group

Disco Demons

Should the club re-elect a new group?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a more obvious future captain than Jack Trengove. He seems exceptional in his maturity.

Everything this kid says and does speaks of loyalty, commitment and quiet ambition. On field, he is as hard as nails, and as keen as mustard to get into the middle of any 'altercations' that occur. He RUNS to them, but keeps his head.

Any kid with this level of self possession, not forgetting his footballing talent, should be given the captaincy soon. I'm not saying next year necessarily, but if we want to build an on-field attitude that has some consistency and endurance, he would be just the person to forge this dynasty.

Jack Trengove will be the next 'great' AFL captain, and it will be of the Melbourne Football Club.

agree with everything you've just said - 100%

There are four expressions of leadership required of a modern day captain:

Onfield through actions and words

Off field by support, encouragement, challenge, wisdom, training

Public face via media, website, attendance at functions

Schmoozing the sponsors, club financial supoporters, coteries etc...

We see so little of the captain's role that it is difficult to assess. What we do know that many games have been in the balance during the 2nd or 3rd quarter this year, and good leadership would have inspired some fight and doggedness. Brad Green has been dismall in this regard this year. Also, the cliche of a "Captain's goal" is well worn but very true and this year Brad has been in a position 3 or 4 times to really LEAD, and has fallen short.

What is worrying, is that sponsors, backers, power brokers etc.. also seem to be DIScouraged by Brad's leadership. Not a good sign.

For mine in 2012:

Brent Moloney for 1 year (if he excels, he can keep the job)

Trengove, Grimes, Watts, Jones to be in leadership group. One of these four to be captain in 2013 if Moloney does not come up to the task. I would choose Trengove at this point

The one thing you all need to remember is its not up to you or i. The players elect the group then the FD take it from there. Although not happy with Greens form he is obviously a man to lead otherwise he would never have been given the job. Trenners looks the goods but not yet. Watts, he has had enough pressure on him let him deveolop for a few years. Grimes- no, cant get on the park. Beamer - No cant speak.

just a thought but leave it how it is. Let this group play together and evolve together. Lets not look at changes every 5 mins. Some great captains have had terrible 1st years and hopefully this is another captain having just that.

The one thing you all need to remember is its not up to you or i. The players elect the group then the FD take it from there. Although not happy with Greens form he is obviously a man to lead otherwise he would never have been given the job. Trenners looks the goods but not yet. Watts, he has had enough pressure on him let him deveolop for a few years. Grimes- no, cant get on the park. Beamer - No cant speak.

just a thought but leave it how it is. Let this group play together and evolve together. Lets not look at changes every 5 mins. Some great captains have had terrible 1st years and hopefully this is another captain having just that.

The club can decide the parameters though.

Have the LG decided by the U/24 players with only them in that group.

The LG this year has been an unmitigated failure and should be treated as such.

For me I'd remove Green from the leadership group altogether along with Davey.

I'd add Trengove, Watts, McKenzie and (assuming he stays) Scully to the leadership group.

Appoint Grimes & Trengove vice captains.

Appoint Rivers captain under the understanding that it is for a period of two years before he hands it over to either Trengove, Grimes, Watts or Scully.

This allows a few more years for our young stars to develop without the burden of captaincy but still develop their leadership skills. Will also show who wants it more over those 2 years.

Interesting that Brad wasn't in our leadership group only two years ago. eg When we had joint captains in Junior and Cam Bruce. Not all players are natural leaders on and off the field. Sooner see him as a player, playing well and kicking goals from all angles like he used to. At the moment I am just as nervous when he is shooting for goal as I was when Brucey was having a shot.

For me I'd remove Green from the leadership group altogether along with Davey.

I'd add Trengove, Watts, McKenzie and (assuming he stays) Scully to the leadership group.

Appoint Grimes & Trengove vice captains.

Appoint Rivers captain under the understanding that it is for a period of two years before he hands it over to either Trengove, Grimes, Watts or Scully.

This allows a few more years for our young stars to develop without the burden of captaincy but still develop their leadership skills. Will also show who wants it more over those 2 years.

Scully to the leadership group?! Are you on drugs?

Only if you add Juice as Depuy VC

Darn it. How could i forget Juice. Nice one Bitter.

At least there's one Demonoid who's seen the light on the leadership group. I knew i was spot on with these views.

I'm sure Old Dee is also reading this and having second thoughts too. I reckon he'll turn shortly as will many other doubters on here!! Won't be long now! We'll be hailed as soothsayers next year you wait and see mate!!!

How do you go about 're-electing a new group?'

That would be some feat!

Jack Trengove as Captain, the leadership group basically stays the same except for maybe one or two changes

Trengove is ready to lead, remember Carey was only 20 when he got captain's job, Jack has leadership written all over him and should be put in now. If Grimes wasn't injured all the time he would be the choice for V-C but maybe Jamar or Frawley.

Interesting that Brad wasn't in our leadership group only two years ago. eg When we had joint captains in Junior and Cam Bruce. Not all players are natural leaders on and off the field. Sooner see him as a player, playing well and kicking goals from all angles like he used to. At the moment I am just as nervous when he is shooting for goal as I was when Brucey was having a shot.

Hmmm....can't say i was ever nervous with Cameron the Bruce. I reckon you're being a bit harsh there.

I always had faith in him either coming up short with some of his kicks on goal or kicking a floater through either side of the big ones on most occasions. He was pretty consistent!

...only if Malthouse actually says publicly that he is interested in coaching MFC.

attempted Humour from Rhino!!! it's actually why he was extended till 2015. But that is IMO

But then that's what this website is....opinions.

attempted Humour from Rhino!!! it's actually why he was extended till 2015. But that is IMO

But then that's what this website is....opinions.

You try so hard on here to pass them off as fact. And you get continually found out for it. Its very funny.

So Trengove extend onto 2015 because MM has not yet said he will commit to MFC? Yep its definitely your opinion.

You try so hard on here to pass them off as fact. And you get continually found out for it. Its very funny.

So Trengove extend onto 2015 because MM has not yet said he will commit to MFC? Yep its definitely your opinion.

What are you talking about Rhino?????

What has MM got to do with JT's Contract?? Do enlighten me please...

Scully to the leadership group?! Are you on drugs?

I can see your suprise for now. However Scully's is the ultimate professional, trains as hard as anyone and his preporation is second to none. He also expects the most out of himself and would be the type to expect it from others.

IMO this is just the type of person you want in your leadership team.