Available coaches poll from 2011 (bumped)

mrtwister

Preferred available coach  

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming that Malthouse won't leave Collingwood......Neeld is certainly firming for the job.

What i like most about him is that aside from his credentials as an assistant, he is coming from the most professionally run club that is leading the competition in terms of football department development and extracting everything from the players. That knowledge is invaluable.

Sanderson's credentials are very good too and you have to back the clubs decision makers in.

My preference is for Neeld however at this stage given Malthouse and Clarkson are most probably unattainable.

Yeahh.

I love seeing articles that say Mick and Eddie are not seeing eye to eye.

It gives me hope that MM will be unhappy with his decided role and will walk at the end of the season... into our open arms.

• Like 1

At least if Matthews is appointed then it will be easier to find the players he wants to delist at the end of the season. After all he has already expressed more than once to the effect that Jack Watts is only a moderate footballer. Perhaps he could go to make room on the list for Matthews favourites.

It is important to consider that Melbourne will not be a premiership contender next year and extremely unlikely the following year no matter who coaches. I would prefer a current assistant coach with good general grounding and an excellent panel of assistants. The loss of Wellman for example showed how important a defencive coach he was and how much better the defence worked when he was mentoring them. Part of Baillys problem I think stems from the failures of his assistants and I dont believe their importance can be overestimated.

There are a number of current assistant coaches who could well take over the head coach reins.

Guest The Tweed Pig

At least if Matthews is appointed then it will be easier to find the players he wants to delist at the end of the season. After all he has already expressed more than once to the effect that Jack Watts is only a moderate footballer.

He has since stated that he now sees why Watts was taken at 1.

If Malthouse wants to coach after this year, he will find the MFC list and upside irresistible.

And I think he wants to keep coaching.

If Malthouse wants to coach after this year, he will find the MFC list and upside irresistible.

And I think he wants to keep coaching.

Malthouse wouldn't have to change his daily routine much if he came to the MFC, given the clubs are only a couple of hundred metres apart.

Laidley has unfinished business at the top of the AFL ladder... But i also like the look of Gary Ayres Port Melbounre's coach, he had some great results there.

I agree on Laidley.. I saw him on AFL 360 about a week ago and he was very +ve about our list.Did weel at North with the list and resources and a good tactician whixh I think it is becoming glaringly obvious we need.. He fits like a glove...

I just don't get the enthusiasm for Dean Laidley. Supposedly a good tactician, but poor communicator. Made a prelim with north, but just didn't seem the calibre of top coach and was let go. Since then, he's been coaching via skype to the basket case of the league.

IF Laidly fits like a glove because he likes our list, then a lot of coaches do. Paarrleease, if anyone got on AFL 360 and said that we'd love them.

Not sure if he's been mentioned much, but I like Ken Hinkley. Wants to be a senior coach; major part of Geelong's success with Bomber; been at GC since the beginning as senior assistant so has worked with developing kids and has premiership experience. I'd say that fits far more than Laidley.

I am not sure I agree with the notion that we need a past coach. It's a very restrictive pool. Malthouse and Clarkson won't be coaching Melbourne, so we're left with Craig, Laidley, Eade etc. If someone like Clarkson, Malthouse etc was available, then yes, but there's some damn good assistants raring to go and would love to get stuck into Melbourne.

Anyway, my 2c.

Sure we need to stay with tactical trends - that's what assistant coaches are for...

We need someone to come in and alter our 'easily pleased' culture and tell the senior players that they are no such thing and that they better get behind the young leadership group or we will move you on.

I can only see this being done by a particular type of personality. And being an experienced coach would help. Being the previous years premiership coach would also help.

Malthouse has to chased. And Clarkson. Then Eade. Then ?

Neeeeeeld.

+1 Eade is a muppet of the first degree.. Unapproachable, boring and hasn't ever been involved in the highest success. I don't just want to play finals I want to win it. He hasn't left the bulldogs in the best shape. He's only a fraction better then Neale Daniher if you look at it. Continually bringing in recycled players to try and grab a flag. Not the greatest developers in the game. Will lose a member if we take him.

Edited by Clanger King

Neeld +2

His record as pies midfield coach speaks for itself. Guys like Wellingham and Thomas would probably be inconsistent, fringe players at the dees. Right now they probably work harder on and off the field than any Melbourne player.

That's just the first of many examples that come to mind...

Voted for Matthews however only wishful thinking. I'd like Clarkson, Eade- 2nd preference as long as we have very good support in the football department.

To quote our leading contender ,

"There is a direct co-relation between hope and effort".

I hope we make the effort to get him .

Even if it is only hope .

Strictly speaking, this guy isn't available - I believe he still has a year left on his contract - but what about Ross Lyon? Could he be enticed? St Kilda have had their little run, and cherry-picking lists that are ready to blossom seems a strongpoint of his.

Can't recall the exact market odds but Gerard and Dwayne said Choco $5 to coach the Dees, eade $5.50 and malthouse $7. Bookies usually have decent mail and $7 seems pretty short considering he has ruled out coaching next year.

Hmmmmm

My run down of candidates;

FIVE STAR CANDIDATES

1) Malthouse - obvious reasons is a possibility but not highly likely.

2) Clarkson - highly unlikely seems happy at Hawthorn.

3) Roos - probably won't coach again.

I would prefer any of these three candidates to just about anybody else. All are premiership coaches, all are leaders of men who've proven to be tactically adept. Even when they struggle with form and injury their sides have nearly always been competitive due to impeccable planning and player buy in. Any of these candidates would do well with our talented youngsters IMO. However, Clarkson & Roos pretty much won't and Malthouse has a deal with Collingwood. In short these three candidates are highly unlikely to be leading the red and blue charge next year.

THE NEXT CROP

1)Brendan McCartney - highly rated senior assistant heavily involved in the Geelong era, now with Essendon's beefed up coaching panel.

2) Mark Neeld - Malthouse's right hand man at Collingwood.

3) Ken Hinkley - Gold Coast assistant, previously with Geelong and Saints has also coached senior country footy. Diverse background has been around for some time story has shades of Ross Lyon.

4) Alan Richardson - experienced assistant who has been at the Bulldogs, Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton.

5) Brenton Sanderson - another highly rated assistant from the Geelong programme.

In the likely event that the club could not land a five star experienced coach any of these selections should be welcomed. All of these coaches have had many years of experience as assistants with highly successful clubs - I have faith that any of them could come in and make their mark with our group.

THEY MAY BE INTERESTED BUT I'M NOT

1) Mark Choco Williams - (as opposed to ours) premiership coach but on balance somewhat under achieved in the early 00's. Too much of an ego for mine, his last few years at Port descended into a three ring circus that would've made Sheedy blush. Seems happy at GWS anyway.

2) Gary Ayres - would personally prefer the Danihers, the Northeys or even the Neil Balmes another September underachiever who probably never got the best out of his playing groups

3) Dean Laidley - wouldn't mind as an assistant if we went for an inexperienced coach. Just seemed to be lacking as the main man.

4) Rodney Eade - again wouldn't mind as an assistant but after two stints at senior level there are probably just too many question marks. A lot of his problems at the Bulldogs have been to do with a lack of on field leadership and development as well as a bit of a boys club mentality - just seems too familiar!

5) Neil Craig - another that would be ok as an assistant. See Laidley or Eade.

While these candidates do have experience it probably translates to baggage for differing yet obvious reasons.

FROM LEFT FIELD

1) John Worsfold - I believe he is out of contract, however IMO would be highly unlikely given his long standing ties to the Eagles.

2) Todd Viney - has said that he doesn't want the job but were he to have a change of heart his pedigree is as good as any other assistants going around.

3) Nathan Bassett - highly rated SANFL coach who has turned Norwood from a basketcase to a competitive unit in a very short space of time. Is said to be adept at modern tactical analysis and is often praised by former players as a great communicator.

4) Adam Simpson - assistant at Hawthorn, is light on for experience but is highly regarded by Hawks players

5) Scott Burns - assistant at West Coast similar background to Simpson.

Worsfold and Viney are highly unlikely, however would prefer any of the other three to experienced coaches with little success and a lot of baggage. Bassett, Burns or Simpson with an Eade, Laidley or Craig as assistant could also be a palatable outcome.

Edited by Jimmi C

For whoever said Matthews is past it ,he himself has stated he thinks he will be a coach into his mid-sixties .Yeah man .

Strictly speaking, this guy isn't available - I believe he still has a year left on his contract - but what about Ross Lyon? Could he be enticed? St Kilda have had their little run, and cherry-picking lists that are ready to blossom seems a strongpoint of his.

Why, another Eade. Eade reportably a good tactician bit with a poor team Balance? Either failed at game tactics around his structure being poor and misread the future of the game?

Ross Lyon capable, but flawed. Gets them competitive, but again gamestyle failure. Poor balance between defense and attack. Tried to redefine the way the game is played by being Ultra defensive. He lost. Now he has to redefine his List again.

No, we should go for the Top,,, or a New Tyro.

My run down of candidates;

FIVE STAR CANDIDATES

1) Malthouse - obvious reasons is a possibility but not highly likely.

2) Clarkson - highly unlikely seems happy at Hawthorn.

3) Roos - probably won't coach again.

etc. etc.

Very good post. The five star men are highly unlikely to be available, but of them I would rate Roos the most likely, with a lot of persuasion, and the best fit for Melbourne. He would be my number 1 choice and the MFC should be pulling out all stops to persuade him to return to coaching.

I voted for Laidley, but only because the list was unsatisfactory, and in the case of 'Current AFL assistant' too vague and not helped by my ignorance of who they are.

I would not opt for a coach who has just been sacked or has fallen on his sword. The side needs a person with only positivity attached to his name, no matter the depth of his experience. That seems to contradict my choice of Laidley, but he chose himself by default from that not very confidence-inspiring list. Matthews is an absurd idea; been out of the game too long and almost certainly out of touch. I'm not even sure his success with the Lions should be rated anywhere near as highly as Roos' with Sydney, a team of honest battlers by comparison.

Jimmi C's post and a few others here have made me think that some of the untried-at-senior-level coaches might be where MFC will find its man. Someone will say that Bailey was that man too, once, but I think some soft-headed people were too heavily influenced by the power of Powerpoint, with him. The main question to ask any potential coach is 'What is wrong with the way the Melbourne team plays football?'. The answer should be fairly simple and straightforward, because it's the simple things of football that the Melbourne players have forgotten how to do, in their apparent and worsening confusion as to what a game of football is all about. Any applicant who starts up a Powerpoint or makes a maiden speech to Parliament to answer that one should be shown the door.

Of those mentioned and from what I've read here, I think Neeld and Sanderson look very interesting. Assuming they're interested, a question which has been begged throughout the discussion.

But the coach won't have a chance if the assistants aren't improved. You wouldn't think they existed, from watching the way Melbourne have played in the last few weeks. There is simply no sense of there being any (for want of a better word) 'structure' in either defence or attack. The loss of Wellman was as big as the loss of Junior in the larger scheme of things.