New Leadership group

mrtwister

I can't believe what I'm reading. How will a 20 year old command respect from anyone who is 21 to 30? How many 20 year olds do you know who lead others that much older than themselves? I suspect Trengove will be an outstanding captain - but not yet.

Let's look at the essential question - what do we want a leader to be able to do? It's got to be more than playing well and leading from the front on the field. The captain has to perform well in the media (so Frawley is out of contention - it's just not his thing) and not misbehave in public (while a couple have had some minor indiscretions, I don't think we have anyone who should be excluded on this ground). A captain has to satisfy the role of glad-handling sponsors and corporate types (I have no idea who'd be good at this). We may not have any obvious candidates that tick all the boxes but I'm certain that it's not yet Trengove, Watts or anyone else under the age of 23.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The compensation I beleive centers mainly on the value applied by the receiving club. Funny in a way. The more they pay Tom , the more we get back.

So fingers crossed that he makes more money than SoG I presume?

(Davis has reportedly signed a contract worth $750k/year for 5 years - don't know how many of those GWS can afford!)

It's bloody hard for outsider's to know who the best leaders are at the Club. Leadership extends further than just onfield performance. For example, Jordie Mc has stood tall in recent weeks, but is he actually a good leader? We thought that with Green last year, and look what happened!

Exactly. A new Coach (assuming he's from the outside) will need time to assess and gauge, who (in his mind), is the man for the Captaincy etc.

I would hate to see the Captaincy being announced prior to at least round 6 (or whatever period the new coach feels is appropriate to assess) given our lack of an obvious 'stand out' leader at this point and the apparent effect this has had on our on field results so far this year. If it's announced prior to seasons start next year, i'll be having a good chuckle, given what's taken place this year.

A new coach could also put it to the players as a whole, that he'll be looking for leaders who truly wish to lead this group and who stick their hand up for the job, during game day matches and also their performance and they way they handle themselves off the field. Including the roles of captaincy and vice captain.

Like every position in this club from here, from the President, the CEO, The Football Manager down to the boot strapper, each role should be truly earned and deserved, before we just give it away for PR/Marketing purposes and name's sake.

If we're going to be the best, then we need to select the very best, in all areas of this club.

He is not out of contract.

He can stay, but not as a leader.

Has he signed, if so I don't have that Info'.

Contracted to End of 2011

Tom Scully

Addam Maric

Cale Morton

Matthew Warnock

Austin Wonaeamirri

Joel Macdonald???

Jack Fitzpatrick

Max Gawn

Brad Green.......... (Upgraded to Veterans List)

Colin Sylvia

Stefan Martin

Edited by dee-luded

I can't believe what I'm reading. How will a 20 year old command respect from anyone who is 21 to 30? How many 20 year olds do you know who lead others that much older than themselves? I suspect Trengove will be an outstanding captain - but not yet.

Let's look at the essential question - what do we want a leader to be able to do? It's got to be more than playing well and leading from the front on the field. The captain has to perform well in the media (so Frawley is out of contention - it's just not his thing) and not misbehave in public (while a couple have had some minor indiscretions, I don't think we have anyone who should be excluded on this ground). A captain has to satisfy the role of glad-handling sponsors and corporate types (I have no idea who'd be good at this). We may not have any obvious candidates that tick all the boxes but I'm certain that it's not yet Trengove, Watts or anyone else under the age of 23.

David Dench ( NM) was only 20.. Voss was 21 Carey 21

Its really teh caliber of the player and how they carry themselves...not age

I reckon Tom Scully's onfield leadership, discipline and understanding of playing in the middle make him a good candidate for the leadership group.

Any of the new candidates need to demonstrate their credentials for the leadership by playing a match winning role in an important game. Not to many of the next generation have played to many of these to date.

Saturday is the opportunity and if TS, JT, JW etc.. put their hand up and have a blinder (and he stays) I'd have him in the leadership group...

Edited by PaulRB

Get Jones and Moloney as far away from the leadership group as Brad Green and Jared Rivers.

Trenners should be made captain as of '12 with Chip, Jordie Mac, Whopper, Scully and Grimes (if he can stay on the park) in the leadership group.

Edited by AdamFarr

David Dench ( NM) was only 20.. Voss was 21 Carey 21

Its really teh caliber of the player and how they carry themselves...not age

Juddy was 21 when he won the Brownlow then 23 when he was lifting the cup..... bit of an exception though.

Look at the over 23 group though (using '87 as cutoff)

Green - essence of the problem

Davey - not much better

Moloney - Loves the club, onfield leader though?

Jamar - Great teacher, will be a great ruck coach, but don't know about actual leadership

Warnock - not playing enough

Rivers - Not really sure

Sylvia - Onfield form issues

Joel Mac - Not playing enough

Martin - Only just broken out

Dunn - oh god that mo'

Newton - hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Campbell - Hasn't even played

Bate - can't get a game

Not exactly awe-inspiring.

Edited by Striker475

Most of the great skippers got the job early - Paul Kelly, Voss, Hird, Carey, Spud Frawley, Garry Lyon, Kernahan, Ted Whitten were all in their early 20's when they were given the job. Naturals will do the job well irrespective of their age. Trengove is a natural!!

Honestly, i'd have no leadership group at the start of next year. Nor would i have a captain, vice captain or deputies. Through actions on the football field alone (that's where it counts), our captain and leaders will emerge. Then we will see who has the guts to step up and show true leadership.

I wouldnt particulalry go for Moloney as Capt. But I do think he has the capacity and respect of most of his compatriots. Hes a bit like that gnarly Platoon Sgt ... he'll get a few arses moving when needed. I think Jones displays a good worth ethic and example in that regard. Not the most talented...but applies himself. Others can follow that..

Trengove strikes me as the wiley and asute Leader who'll not lose his head when push comes to shove but will know how to caress others into picking up the game. He has poise. He reminds me of Buckley actually.

Honestly, i'd have no leadership group at the start of next year. Nor would i have a captain, vice captain or deputies. Through actions on the football field alone (that's where it counts), our captain and leaders will emerge. Then we will see who has the guts to step up and show true leadership.

Go into the season with no assigned leaders ?...that's really leading by example, we're already being viewed as a complete and utter laughing stock and yet, unintentionally you would be rubbing the salt into the wound.

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen enough through actions on and off the football field THIS YEAR the emergence of my leadership group I'd personally hand pick if I had the absolute privilege.

^

I think the AFL mandates that you have to nominate a captain, if only for the AFL media events and such

I have issues with Grimes at this stage of his career. Whilst he has admirable qualities, his disposal and decision making is not up to scratch and been injured too often. I'd like to see a solid season out of him with fewer errors.

I agree, but not for the same reasons.

I think it's a lot of pressure to put on a young guy, coming off a season where he has barely played due to injury.

Let him at least get back on the park for a season before thrusting the captaincy mantle upon him.

That is, if you're talking about giving him the captaincy.

If you're only talking leadership group, then you have rocks in your head.

Has he signed, if so I don't have that Info'.

Contracted to End of 2011

Tom Scully

Addam Maric

Cale Morton

Matthew Warnock

Austin Wonaeamirri

Joel Macdonald???

Jack Fitzpatrick

Max Gawn

Brad Green.......... (Upgraded to Veterans List)

Colin Sylvia

Stefan Martin

If that's correct, no wonder the senior players are causing unrest, led by our woeful captain.

I thought Green was contracted for 2012, but if not, he'll be very very worried about his spot on the list, and rightly so.

At this point in time I'd not re-sign him.

His performance in the role of captain aside, his career looks just about over to me.

Unless he's force fed the ball, he's useless. Up the ground he's continually exposed.

Edited by e25

Go into the season with no assigned leaders ?...that's really leading by example, we're already being viewed as a complete and utter laughing stock and yet, unintentionally you would be rubbing the salt into the wound.

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen enough through actions on and off the football field THIS YEAR the emergence of my leadership group I'd personally hand pick if I had the absolute privilege.

^

You're obviously one who bows to peer pressure quite easily. Who gives a stuff what the outside world thinks of us. Anything that benefits our club in the long-term, to the detriment of a quick fix, gets a tick from me. Short-term pain for long-term gain, 1 step back for 2 steps forward. However you look at it, we would come out ahead if such a bold course of action was taken. And i stand by what i previously posted.

Get rid of Leading Edge. They've been abject failures if the players are involving themselves in club politics.

Well id keep LE... decent enough IT mob..lol

but might be inclined to dump Leading Teams !! :rolleyes:

You're obviously one who bows to peer pressure quite easily. Who gives a stuff what the outside world thinks of us. Anything that benefits our club in the long-term, to the detriment of a quick fix, gets a tick from me. Short-term pain for long-term gain, 1 step back for 2 steps forward. However you look at it, we would come out ahead if such a bold course of action was taken. And i stand by what i previously posted.

The important thing is that we'd be viewed as a laughing stock because it's a thoroughly stupid idea.

Guest The Tweed Pig

If Brad Green remains Captain next year this club is a joke. Seeing as I don't believe that the club is a joke I'm certain he'll be removed. He may even not want the responsibility.

I would make Trengove captain. I know he's young, but I also know that we have the youngest list in the AFL outside of the Suns. I also know that we have arguably the worst leadership group in the AFL. They'd only possibly be matched by Port, Adelaide and Richmond.

Sometimes you have to be bold and I love the way Trengove goes about representing this club. He captained SA in juniors and he's already the hardest midfielder we have.

The new coach will obviously have a massive say in the captain, he may have the total say, but Trengove would be my choice.

Edited by The Tweed Pig

If Brad Green remains Captain next year this club is a joke. Seeing as I don't believe that club is a joke I'm certain he'll be removed. He may even not want the responsibility.

I would make Trengove captain. I know he's young, but I also know that we have the youngest list in the AFL outside of the Suns. I also know that we have arguably the worst leadership group in the AFL. They'd only possibly be matched by Port, Adelaide and Richmond.

Sometimes you have to be bold and I love the way Trengove goes about representing this club. He captained SA in juniors and he's already the hardest midfielder we have.

The new coach will obviously have a massive say in the captain, he may have the total say, but Trengove would be my choice.

I think it would put too much pressure on him, and him alone.

I've never been a great fan of the shared captaincy, but I think in the current situation it's the best option we have, that wouldn't put undue pressure on just one kid.

Give it to Trengove, Grimes and Jones to share.

But to continue with Green is blatantly unacceptable.