Dean Bailey press conference

Choko

A loss, however horrendous it was, shouldn't in and of itself change the course, which was for Bailey to see out the year.

I've always agreed with the usual "one loss doesn't mean anything in isolation", but I really do think this one told a story on its own. A loss of this magnitude is a first in modern footy - even Fitzroy never lost like that before they shut up shop. These are not normal circumstances and this is not a normal defeat - not even a normal 100 point defeat. There has to be something very wrong for the wheels to fall off in the manner in which they did and I think it needed to be arrested immediately.

I'm quite comfortable with a loss like this one in and of itself changing the course.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Club had to act today....The Adelaide Crows would have got a 5 week jump on us.

I am sure Dean Bailey can still say Hi to Jimmy. Both Men held their heads high.

I heard Mclardy on SEN earlier, he spoke in such high regard for Dean.....and didn't rule out that Dean could work at the club again one day.

There is no bad blood there....that is still to be found.

Is it ridiculous to suggest that, if he wants to, we were to keep Dean on in some capacity?

After today i would ask him what he wants to do....after a holiday.

I know it is not the thing to do....but our circumstances are fairly unique

Bailey is a teacher, a good one....The players owe him respect.

Can't understand the debate over whether he goes now or at seasons end.

Bailey said it himself....... no matter how you spin and flip it, 186 points is an ugly number, and if he puts himself in a board members shoes, he completely understands the decision.

Funny how the bloke on the receiving end sees it, but some supporters don't.

No club in the land would have let the coach go on in the same situation, so not sure why some supporters think we should.

Take the fact of him being a great bloke out of it, and it is absolutely the right decision!

why is it that I feel I'm back in 2007 again

The custodians of our club (players) showed

how soft their underbelly is and personally how much I'd overrated our list.

They cost a good man his job hopefully this wakes them up and they finally stop all

this talk and actually show some heart.

And Dean class act all the way thanks for all you've done.

Edited by Diablo Deemon

why is it that I feel I'm back in 2007 again

The custodians of our club (players) showed

how soft their underbelly is and personally how much I'd overrated our list.

They cost a good man his job hopefully this wakes them up and they finally stop all

this talk and actually show some heart.

And Dean class act all the way thanks for all you've done.

It's a tough hard road to the top Diablo...i feel today a pressure valve has been released....certain people are on notice to toe the line or else.

It's a tough hard road to the top Diablo...i feel today a pressure valve has been released....certain people are on notice to toe the line or else.

Me too mate and it is a very very tough road.

i have a horrible feeling after saturday we do not have the cattle to get there anytime soon.

That may be why DB is un employed today.

Can't understand the debate over whether he goes now or at seasons end.

Bailey said it himself....... no matter how you spin and flip it, 186 points is an ugly number, and if he puts himself in a board members shoes, he completely understands the decision.

Funny how the bloke on the receiving end sees it, but some supporters don't.

No club in the land would have let the coach go on in the same situation, so not sure why some supporters think we should.

Take the fact of him being a great bloke out of it, and it is absolutely the right decision!

I agree.

I had been of the opinion that he could coach the season out but that was with the proviso he still had a chance to be coach in 2012.

That ended on Saturday.

Therefore, there is no reason to delay the inevitable and end up with a Danny Frawley style slow-burn demise that saps the energy of all involved.

It was a disappointing decision but the right one.

I think the point is NOT to make the decision until the end of the year. A loss, however horrendous it was, shouldn't in and of itself change the course, which was for Bailey to see out the year.

I think that the elephant in the room when the club was saying that Bailey acted with dignity (which he did) was that the club failed to honour its commitment to let him see out the year, and in fact it did not act with honour and dignity.

They should have waited until the end of the year.

Choko in your opinion as it stood prior to the weekend would you have re-appointed DB? What about after the weekend? What would he have had to do by end of year to be re-appointed in your mind if possible at all?

In my mind there was nothing he could have done in mind to recover from that and based on that the right thing to do is to not string him along for 5 weeks. It is in ours and his best interests.

Choko in your opinion as it stood prior to the weekend would you have re-appointed DB? What about after the weekend? What would he have had to do by end of year to be re-appointed in your mind if possible at all?

In my mind there was nothing he could have done in mind to recover from that and based on that the right thing to do is to not string him along for 5 weeks. It is in ours and his best interests.

Honestly? I would probably have appointed DB for one more. I say that because I think it's going to be hard this year to pick up a seasoned legend coach. We asked DB to coach for tomorrow, not today, and tomorrow starts next year (in terms of realistically playing finals). If he succeeded in getting us into the finals in 2012, and lets say won a final, then he would deserve 2 more years. If not, then get a new coach. Also, I think our only chance of getting MM is after he honours one year at Collingwood. If we appoint a new coach now, which will will be doing, we have done ourselves out of MM.

But even if we were going to get rid of DB, we should definitely have waited until the end of the year to make the decision. There are clear downsides to having made the decision now.

The only reason to do it immediately IMO was if we thought DB was to blame for Geelong. But I think what happened at Geelong was a reflection of a whole lot of things, but very little to do with Bailey. It was too extreme to have been Dean's fault. So I wouldn't have let the one result change the course, and I put it to you that all strong clubs would have done likewise.

Edited by Choko

Honestly? I would probably have appointed DB for one more. I say that because I think it's going to be hard this year to pick up a seasoned legend coach. We asked DB to coach for tomorrow, not today, and tomorrow starts next year (in terms of realistically playing finals). If he succeeded in getting us into the finals in 2012, and lets say won a final, then he would deserve 2 more years. If not, then get a new coach. Also, I think our only chance of getting MM is after he honours one year at Collingwood. If we appoint a new coach now, which will will be doing, we have done ourselves out of MM.

But even if we were going to get rid of DB, we should definitely have waited until the end of the year to make the decision. There are clear downsides to having made the decision now.

The only reason to do it immediately IMO was if we thought DB was to blame for Geelong. But I think what happened at Geelong was a reflection of a whole lot of things, but very little to do with Bailey. It was too extreme to have been Dean's fault. So I wouldn't have let the one result change the course, and I put it to you that all strong clubs would have done likewise.

Thanks Choko. You articulate well your view but I disagree.

The concerns for mine has been Baileys inability in numerous cases this year to show how to counter any half decent team and influence any game going against us to turn it around or minimise the damage. He has failed to consistently motivate the side unless there has been a clearcut motivator from the previous week that would be impossible for a player to ignore ie: bruise free footy.

He has pushed games into players however Jamar aside I have seen no development in any player on our list that I attribute to more than their natural development due to games played or preseasons toiled.

I have no confidence in the game strategy we employ. I have concerns that it appears to be a one size fits all model regardless of opposition or conditions or venue. I have no understanding whether there is a plan B that we can turn to when this does not work. If it does exist I have no confidence in his ability to employ it mid game. All these concerns have snowballed week to week this year and crescendo'd after the weekend. For mine it was the straw that broke the camels back not a knee jerk reaction.

Instilling him for a further year would not remove any of my concerns. If it is done for one year whilst we wait for the messiah to be available to me may do more damage than good. I would argue that even with poor coaching next year with natural development we may then make the eight just on natural developemnt of our talent. What then do you do with Bailey.

Understand your view but for mine the decision should have already been made.