Your Strategy against The Hawks

H_T

melbournenewemblem200x2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hawkslogolge.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Let's dissect.

It has been mentioned we face a big month of footy ahead. We play Hawthorn (MCG), Geelong (SS), Carlton (MCG) and West Coast (ES). We have a coach coming out of contract at year's end and are currently on 7.5 wins (one less than 2010's return of 8.5 wins, yet have 7 games remaining) and we are trying to keep our list together in the meantime.

We start with Hawthorn this week coming back from the bye and ourselves returning from a taxing game in Darwin's humidity. With effectively a 7 day break having returned from Darwin on Sunday. Some players may have lost a bit of weight during the game, so the important aspect post game was for all to rehydrate, recovery and set ourselves against the Hawks.

Below is the Hawks listed side from Round 16 v Brisbane in Launceston: -

B: Puopolo Gibson Murphy

HB: Guerra Hodge Birchall

C: Savage Mitchell Suckling

HF: Smith Franklin Osbourne

F: Whitecross Hale Bruest

Foll: Bailey Shiels Burgoyne

Int: Ellis Young Milne Cheney

Emerg: Ladson Morton Sierakowski

As a reference, here is the side that took on Melbourne back in Round 2: -

B: Ladson Gilham Stratton

HB: Birchall Gibson Bruce

C: Bateman Mitchell Shiels

HF: Young Franklin Burgoyne

F: Osborne Roughead Rioli

Foll: Renouf Hodge Sewell

Int: Savage Suckling Hale Lewis (sub)

Available for selection for the Hawks this week should be Cyril Rioli and Jordan Lewis. Brad Sewell may be close to being tested, but unlikely to play against Melbourne.

Last time they played, Roughead and Hale played important roles for the Hawks after half time. Led by their midfield who won alot of contested ball and clearances thanks to Sewell, Burgoyne and Mitchell. The Hawks won the ball repeatedly in the third quarter, we lacked leadership, and compounding matters the Hawks pressed scoring 8.11 in the third having trailed at half time by 19 points.

So how do we tackle the Hawks this week ?

I think it's important that the team goes in with a strong attitude for a full four quarter effort. That collectively the senior players lead throughout and they play on instinctive footy, relentless play and execute the best they can.

Back in round 2, there was no Scully, no McKenzie and Frawley wasn't the Frawley he is today. Since then Howe, Gysberts, Nicholson, Strauss have come in. We have a much more confident and all round experienced Martin, a more confident Jack Watts. Our midfield has strengthened and we look more confident up forward with Petterd, Howe contributing for longer patches.

So Match-ups and key tactics ?

Who do we match up with the following: -

Franklin =

Rioli =

Hale =

Burgoyne =

Osborne =

Mitchell =

Savage =

Shiels =

Lewis =

Suckling =

Guerra =

Gibson =

Hodge =

Smith =

Puopolo =

Ellis =

Other important matters:

Do we try and nullify Hodge's influence ?

Are there any important or key aspects we should address to gain an advantage ?

Who should come in for Melbourne ? Why ?

Who would you leave out and why ? (Please state good reason and the benefits of your replacement)

Who would you start as sub ?

If you wanted 3 things for Bailey to address in the lead up to the Hawthorn game what would they be ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frawley goes to Franklin without a doubt. In his current form he stands half a chance, too.

Nicholson to Rioli I think. Has the pace to keep up with him and has given us good drive off half back. Always good to push Rioli defensively. Shouldn't be overawed if/when Rioli goes into the middle either.

McKenzie to run with Mitchell. Big job there, Mitchell is in Brownlow form.

You'd hope for Jamar and Martin to win the ruck contest pretty easily, which will give our mids their best shot against a far superior midfield. If we can get enough inside 50s to put their flaky defence under pressure then who knows. But in all likelihood we'll get killed on the rebound and their midfield will dominate the stoppages.

Edited by titan_uranus

What we have to do is something I have never seen us do - TAG MITCHELL!!!!

We need someone who will spend the whole day shoulder to shoulder with Mitchell; where is Stephen Newport when you want him?

My matchups for the following are: -

Franklin = Frawley - but I'd like him to back himself with the ball out of defence, so if he breaks lines, he'll need support and cover.

Rioli = Interesting one and critical, particularly around stoppages. Nicholson is an option, if played forward I would probably lean towards Strauss or Tapscott, if Nicholson struggles, depends on other matchups.

Hale = Rivers.

Burgoyne = Trengove/Sylvia

Osborne = Strauss

Whitecross = Garland

Mitchell = McKenzie

Savage = Tapscott

Shiels = Jones / Gysberts

Lewis = Moloney

Suckling = Sylvia/Trengove

Guerra = May go to someone like Petterd or even the skipper in Green.

Hodge = Petterd

Gibson = Jurrah

Smith = Morton

Puopolo = Maric

Ellis = Scully

Watts is an interesting one for the Hawks, Birchall seems suited.

*Not sure on the INs and OUTs just yet. But if everyone gets up from the Darwin game, unchanged for mine - but I know that probably won't be the case. Davey will be a run short and shouldn't come straight in IMO.

*Based on that I could be inclined to go with the same sub in Howe. Maric performed well enough to start and I think Morton should start to go with Smith for my matchup.

*I think Hodge may pick up Ricky Petterd and I'd like Ricky to be as tight as possible when we haven't got the ball and apply the same intensity and play with the same vigour and contested intent as what he did against Richmond.

*3 things I would address and drive home: -

• Intent/Ruthlessness
  • Winning the midfield
  • Take risks & have fun

I've also been a massive supporter on contested possessions and tackles too. Tackles with intent and to the ground - but nothing sling like that would cause Adrian Anderson to get on his bike for the MRP, so he can be seen to be doing something.

Edited by High Tower
edited several times

Good work there High Tower, Good to see some footy talk on here.

Agree with your match ups.

However, I like Bartam on rioli but I doubt he will be recalled.

To win we need to take the game on (Like we did in that second quarter last time we played), keep our kicking efficieny over 75%, need to be very clean coming out of defence and dont get bamboozeled by the forward pressure.

Hopefully Strauss and Tapscotts can use their kicking to good effect.

Chippa needs a huge game and smashes Buddy (if he does i reckon might put his name up in front of the AA selectors)

GO YOU DEMONS

The boys need to take risks through the middle and tackle like they did against Richmond.

We are a massive shot in this game if we start well early and keep going through the middle. I have to admit though I'd feel more confident if we were down by a goal at 1/2 time compared to up by 30 considering what happened in round 2.

Frawley to Franklin and Tapscott to Rioli.

God I love Tapscott, looked like he hadn't missed a game all year on Saturday night.

Great thread. Good to focus on a game of footy for a change. All that Malthouse stuff, clubs finances, selling games interstate etc... leaves me cold.

The main issue for the Dees is the midfield. Hawks have bigger bodies than our boys and have, over the past few seasons monstered us at stoppages. That shocker earlier this year is a prime example of being physically dominated by bigger bodies. Because of this I would not be playing Morton or Gysberts. Morton - because when he chooses not to commit to a contest, or fumbles, he then gets pushed off the play or looses interest. Gysberts - his small frame would see his usually good skills collapse under pressure, or he will just get pushed aside too often.

Also, the Hawks game is set up by their left-foot half back line. Our half forwards should all play man on man and give them no switch room. If we can thwart their switch-play off half back we have gone a long way to dismantling their game plan.

Our big plus is in the ruck. But Mitchell and Burgoyne are great readers of whoever is winning the ruck contest. We must ensure that these two don't spend the day roving off Jamar and Stef. Scully will be vital with his pace and I wish Bail was ready to go. Jones, Moloney and Sylvia are vital.

I wouldn't be putting McKenzie on Hodge or Mitchell. As of yet, he has not developed the footy smarts or physical size to combat these two, but I cannot think of a good match up. Savage perhaps?

Garland on Buddy. He is a really good spoiler and this leaves Frawley free-er to break the lines and deliver to our half forwards.

Nicholson on Rioli. He has to concentrate 100% just on Rioli. He has the early acceleration and pace to go with Rioli and can be damaging on the attack.

I am unsure about Hodge because this year he has played a stopping role on oposition players. He might take Petterd. If this is the case, take Hodge to the goalsquare.

A couple of things in our facvour:

Do they have a player who can run all day with Watts? I don't think so - I just hope they don't put Hodge on him.

Can they stop Stef Martin and his second efforts that see him putting it inside our forward 50?

This could be a close game and they have a lot of younger boys also. Unfortunately, I reckon the Hawks by 20 points.

bomb it in high to the top of the 30m-50m arc and watch the hawks defence take it away with ease.

play a zone defence that is picked apart with short kicks then run through the middle

oh wait that was last time we met! :D

Edited by Friday

Great thread. Good to focus on a game of footy for a change. All that Malthouse stuff, clubs finances, selling games interstate etc... leaves me cold.

And Tom Scully... :rolleyes:

The main issue for the Dees is the midfield. Hawks have bigger bodies than our boys and have, over the past few seasons monstered us at stoppages. That shocker earlier this year is a prime example of being physically dominated by bigger bodies. Because of this I would not be playing Morton or Gysberts. Morton - because when he chooses not to commit to a contest, or fumbles, he then gets pushed off the play or looses interest. Gysberts - his small frame would see his usually good skills collapse under pressure, or he will just get pushed aside too often.

I agree their senior players have bigger bodies, but they have many smaller younger frames who have been in form. Shiels, Suckling, Savage, Smith, Puopolo to name a few. So players such as Gysberts should be suitable enough as the Hawks youngsters are.

I wouldn't be putting McKenzie on Hodge or Mitchell. As of yet, he has not developed the footy smarts or physical size to combat these two, but I cannot think of a good match up. Savage perhaps?

I wouldn't be putting McKenzie on Hodge if Hodge will be utilised down back. I think McKenzie is best suited to Mitchell at stoppages to try and get first use of the ball. Both he and Gysberts did well against the Richmond onballer division.

Garland on Buddy. He is a really good spoiler and this leaves Frawley free-er to break the lines and deliver to our half forwards.

I did think of this and you could be right. They may even take turns on him. I just thought an in form Frawley would go to Buddy as we saw late last year at the G. I think Franklin ended up with three in the end but Frawley did ok.

I am unsure about Hodge because this year he has played a stopping role on oposition players. He might take Petterd. If this is the case, take Hodge to the goalsquare.

Good tactic. But must stay with him if the hawks turn it over.

A couple of things in our facvour:

Do they have a player who can run all day with Watts? I don't think so - I just hope they don't put Hodge on him.

I think Clarko could be confident in Birchall doing the job. Has the height and the workrate to go with him. I think it's a good match up and one to watch.

Can they stop Stef Martin and his second efforts that see him putting it inside our forward 50?

He is our wildcard IMO. Martin's form together with Jamar would be a concern for the Hawks.

Thanks High Tower for lifting the tone.

Trying to understand badly written streams of consciousness in other threads nearly finished me off.

Thanks High Tower for lifting the tone.

Trying to understand badly written streams of consciousness in other threads nearly finished me off.

It's been doing my head in too. I'd rather talk footy and tactics rather than things seemingly out of our control. It's the repetitive stuff that is annoying. My advice would be to say your piece then let it be.

But back to this thread...

It's a massive game this week and IMO people should be drooling over such an interesting game to watch.

My tastebuds are in fifth gear, I can't wait for Sunday.

I think team selection should be interesting this week. If we go into the match and think like we have in the recent past, if we pick a team like we have in the recent past we can probably expect similar results that we have had in the recent past.

So essentially agree with Maldon Boy re the bigger bodies and attitude at the footy.( The Hawks take no prisoners and we are yet to show how to respond to this this against the top sides. Hope it comes this week.)

I hope Jmac comes in to help out down back for say Tappscott who I would throw in the midfield with Sylvia & Beamer. Bit of a fan of the Gys but I feel he has struggled a bit over the past couple, looks a bit tired. Maybe Evans worth some thought too. He is really putting his hand up and in form at Casey. He hasn't disgraced at AFL level in the past and like Maric has demonstrated that he wants a crack.

Whist Warnock doesn't have as much of a following on this site as some others do, he just might have some of what is required against this mob. His game against Adelaide was ok and he's no shirker.

Scully is out but reckon they need to think about the positioning of the Gys and Morton. Maybe they get different more attacking roles up the ground and both are over 190.

I think we need hard bodies. The Gys looked to be getting a bit rattled when under pressure last week and I would imagine the heat/humidity may have taken a lot out of him (he made a lot of very uncharacteristic mistakes last week), so as silly as this might sound, I wouldn't mind seeing Bate come in.

On the Buddy match-up, I would be more inclined to go with Frawley as Garland tends to give away silly free kicks, and Buddy is the one person you don't want benefiting from those.

Moloney must start on the opposite side of the circle to Mitchell. The clamp needs to wear Mitchell.

More vigour required from stop plays and kick ins. Tapscott and Strauss to continue to develop thier nerve and take the kicks deep in defence.

Nice match-ups HT.

IMO Gysberts will be a gun, but at the moment every 2nd or 3rd game is at best forgettable - he should be managed accordingly.

I would therefore not be upset if he missed this one, or was sub.

I'd also start with Garland on Buddy as well said by M-Boy

Edited for being a putz

Edited by Roger Mellie

I think we need hard bodies. The Gys looked to be getting a bit rattled when under pressure last week and I would imagine the heat/humidity may have taken a lot out of him (he made a lot of very uncharacteristic mistakes last week), so as silly as this might sound, I wouldn't mind seeing Bate come in.

On the Buddy match-up, I would be more inclined to go with Frawley as Garland tends to give away silly free kicks, and Buddy is the one person you don't want benefiting from those.

The game from the outside did appear to be taxing on him. I agree there were uncharacteristic clangers, one of which resulted in an intercept and goal.

It will be interesting if he recovers ok.

IMO Gysberts will be a gun, but at the moment every 2nd or 3rd game is at best forgettable - he should be managed accordingly.

I would therefore not be upset if he missed this one, or was sub.

I'd also start with Garland on Frawley as well said by M-Boy

Interesting concept... is the idea to confuse the Hawks forwards? I like it :)

My matchups for the following are: -

Burgoyne = Trengove

Whilst I love to see Trengove smash him with a trade mark sling tackle I can see Trengove being exposed as slow on Burgoyne.

Burgoyne killed us last time. Frawley played on him.

Whilst I love to see Trengove smash him with a trade mark sling tackle I can see Trengove being exposed as slow on Burgoyne.

Burgoyne killed us last time. Frawley played on him.

Sylvia on Burgoyne ?

Trengove to Suckling ?

.............. Martin's form together with Jamar would be a concern for the Hawks.

Winning the clearances will be critical (stating the bleeding obvious). Our rucks are much better credentialled, but we must stop Mitchell, Burgoyne et al roving to our ruck dominance. IIRC this is exactly what happened in the second half in Round 2, and that was the end of the section for us. Mitchell & co. are past masters at winning clearances to beaten rucks, and I'm wondering what (if anything)can be done tactically to limit this happening. Ultra tight tags on their playmakers could work, but I'm not sure that we have the cattle to do this for four quarters. I'd be interested in the thoughts of fellow Demonlanders.

Winning the clearances will be critical (stating the bleeding obvious). Our rucks are much better credentialled, but we must stop Mitchell, Burgoyne et al roving to our ruck dominance. IIRC this is exactly what happened in the second half in Round 2, and that was the end of the section for us. Mitchell & co. are past masters at winning clearances to beaten rucks, and I'm wondering what (if anything)can be done tactically to limit this happening. Ultra tight tags on their playmakers could work, but I'm not sure that we have the cattle to do this for four quarters. I'd be interested in the thoughts of fellow Demonlanders.

Apart from applying a sling tackle or anything untoward such as giving him a corky at the bottom of the pack with a knee (like he himself has done to others on occassions...clever little sh!t), I'd suggest being first to the ball or getting first use of the ball thanks to our rucks at stoppages could quell his influence.

Sylvia on Burgoyne ?

Trengove to Suckling ?

Love this match up, HT. Burgoyne killed us last time as he went in as a forward and there was no real match up for him.

Col's stronger body will worry Burgoyne and The General will take care of Suckling, running hard to kick a couple.

With the Hawks, they love to chip and chip and chip - if the boys can cause a turn over with direct and residual pressure, the turn over will cause (should cause) free players in the corridor...

They cannot allow themselves to be intimidated. Hawks niggle, punch, scrag, bump, unsettle and the team needs to do the same.

How about Jones in a shut-down role as back-up if Mackenzie doesn't crack it on Mitchell. The other to take Burguyne?

My concerns are the centre bounce: Jamar had lots of taps, but it seemed Port Adelaide KILLED us at the clearance for most of the match. We cant afford to do that against the Hawks. I would even play Stef #1 ruck and play Jamar forward - make it difficult for them to cover him and Watts.

I like the idea of manning up on the half backs with our half forwards to stop the switch. Make them play contested and lets see what happens to their short passing game.

We need to tackle our guts out and take risks.

Howe to start on the ground. Jetta in as sub. Morton - he needs some time at Casey to find some form.