Jamie Bennell

DemonWA

I made the trip over to watch the game on Saturday. 1st time ive seen the boyus win Live for a while (Been a lean streak at Subi for the last few years!)

I thought Bennell had his best game of the year against the Tigers. He only had 10 disposals but he didnt shirk contests and used the ball well the few times he got it.

When the tigers looked liek they might challenge he made a good spoil which resulted in a goal.

HE shouldnt be discussed in the Ins/Outs this week. Morton on the other hand was the worst Sub in recent memory!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennell is one of the most gifted footballers on our list, super quick and agile, sure hands at ground level and has good disposal at pace. Has been asked to play a variety of roles including shut down defensive roles on crumbers.

He isn't a natural ball winner, needs to get it into his hands more often and may struggle with a limited tank. It's time he started to get himself involved more. What he does is generally great.

Guest Gotzy15

I truly think every Melbourne supporter would feel the same about Bennell. I think we all have a lot of time for him and believe that he has lots and lots of potential.He obviously needs to get a bigger engine and get a lot more involved consistently but what he does do is usually very good and there arent many better sights than him tucking the ball under the arm and breaking the lines. I love this kid and i really hope he has a big future with us!!

Guest Artie Bucco

A lot of supporters are ignorant of the role he is being asked to play.

He's being asked to play defensively and to rebound using his burst of speed when he can.

His role is not to rack up possessions or kick goals.

Bailey is steadfastly building a lot of versatility into our young players.

A lot of supporters are ignorant of the role he is being asked to play.

He's being asked to play defensively and to rebound using his burst of speed when he can.

His role is not to rack up possessions or kick goals.

Bailey is steadfastly building a lot of versatility into our young players.

You are talking about the last few weeks. He has had opportunities up the ground.

I suggest that he may be playing a defensive post because he doesn't involve himself enough. He is a big talent. I think everyone who has a bit of a handle on him would assess him the same, even the man himself

You are talking about the last few weeks. He has had opportunities up the ground.

I suggest that he may be playing a defensive post because he doesn't involve himself enough. He is a big talent. I think everyone who has a bit of a handle on him would assess him the same, even the man himself

He has a way to go and again made some blues and indecsions on Saturday but I really like him - he is creative and prepared to run. I would like him getting more possessions but I think he has been alright and is progressing nicely. Young and improving like many on our list.

I thought JB was good against Ninthmond, but he did concede two or three goals, I believe. Certainly worth a game next week though. I've always been a fan.

Jb has explosive pace and the ability to take anyone on out of defence to run the ball. That is why bailey has him playing on the speedy (mainly indigenous) small forwards - a role he is well suited to. He is not built to be an in and under type but has great evasive skills which can make him extremely useful on the fringes of packs. He is also a great mark for his size and has an uncanny knack of finding LJ.

Although his possession count isn't the highest, next time you watch him, look out for his disposal efficiency which IMO makes up for the low count a little. He's a sublime finisher once he gets the ball and the options he takes are rarely poor. A little like Davey without the tank and AFL veteran bod muscle/strength wise. Class player slowly learning and starting to impact the game and improve a little more each week as he builds his tank.

If he can build himself a little more through the body and improve his work ethic/tank over the next pre-season or 2 in order to get to more contests, he'll start impacting games much more than present.

Big game/Big Crowd, big outcome on the line (final 8 spot in the offing) on the weekend..... he didn't let us down. Was involved in creating a number of forward thrusts and at least 2 goal assists, one at a critical time with his defensive punch over the top following the Tiger kick in up the guts.

For those who still disbelieve, can i suggest watching the Richmond game one more time. A long way from being great atm, but little by little, he's starting to shine. Really just comes down to how badly he wants it from here i think. Don't forget he's still pretty much a rookie (ok, so he's about to graduate lol), with 46 games under his belt till now.

Guest Artie Bucco

Anyone notice Jurrah go well out of his way to find Bennell amongst 3 defenders in the forward 50 against Richmond?

Very nearly pulled it off, but damn it didn't seem a good decision at the time.

They obviously look for each other.

Although his possession count isn't the highest, next time you watch him, look out for his disposal efficiency which IMO makes up for the low count a little. He's a sublime finisher once he gets the ball and the options he takes are rarely poor. A little like Davey without the tank and AFL veteran bod muscle/strength wise. Class player slowly learning and starting to impact the game and improve a little more each week as he builds his tank.

If he can build himself a little more through the body and improve his work ethic/tank over the next pre-season or 2 in order to get to more contests, he'll start impacting games much more than present.

Big game/Big Crowd, big outcome on the line (final 8 spot in the offing) on the weekend..... he didn't let us down. Was involved in creating a number of forward thrusts and at least 2 goal assists, one at a critical time with his defensive punch over the top following the Tiger kick in up the guts.

For those who still disbelieve, can i suggest watching the Richmond game one more time. A long way from being great atm, but little by little, he's starting to shine. Really just comes down to how badly he wants it from here i think. Don't forget he's still pretty much a rookie (ok, so he's about to graduate lol), with 46 games under his belt till now.

Tried hard to stay off this tread RN but failed.

Sorry to disagree but I think he is ordinary on a good day

And poor on the others.

I just don't see what you all rave about.

10 possessions and 1 tackle on saturday!

That was the exact passage of play which made me start this thread.

Long kick in, up the guts. A tallish tiger the marking target. Little #7 made a great spoil. Crubs fall to gisberts, hands to trengove and BANG, goal. All started by a little bloke who gets ragged on this site for shirking contests.

That was the exact passage of play which made me start this thread.

Long kick in, up the guts. A tallish tiger the marking target. Little #7 made a great spoil. Crubs fall to gisberts, hands to trengove and BANG, goal. All started by a little bloke who gets ragged on this site for shirking contests.

Pretty sure the tallish target was Nahas. Let's not get too carried away. That effort was exactly what he should have done. I like Bennell, he's just got to keep working on his game.

Pretty sure the tallish target was Nahas. Let's not get too carried away. That effort was exactly what he should have done. I like Bennell, he's just got to keep working on his game.

I just checked and yeah you're right it was Nahas! haha my bad

still loved seeing a bloke who many say doesnt provide a contest or do enough 1%ers prove some skeptics wrong.

Tonight I rewatched the Richmond game and I stick to my original assessment that Bennell was in the bottom 2 players during the Richmond game and therefore he spot is under pressure this week.

He did some really good things and assisted with three Melb goals. Q1 After the 50 m penalty pass to Green to Watts, Q2 a great handball to Howe who set up a Jones goal and the spoil in the last that resulted in a Trengove goal. On the flip side his lack of defensive skill resulted in 3 Tiger goals and at times he didnt contest when he was in a position to harass the ball carrier. At least 2 of his 10 disposals were direct turnovers including his hospital handball that resulted in Scully being driven into the ground.

Bennell shows some glimpses that gets everyone excited however he needs to do more to retain his spot.

Tonight I rewatched the Richmond game and I stick to my original assessment that Bennell was in the bottom 2 players during the Richmond game and therefore he spot is under pressure this week.

He did some really good things and assisted with three Melb goals. Q1 After the 50 m penalty pass to Green to Watts, Q2 a great handball to Howe who set up a Jones goal and the spoil in the last that resulted in a Trengove goal. On the flip side his lack of defensive skill resulted in 3 Tiger goals and at times he didnt contest when he was in a position to harass the ball carrier. At least 2 of his 10 disposals were direct turnovers including his hospital handball that resulted in Scully being driven into the ground.

Bennell shows some glimpses that gets everyone excited however he needs to do more to retain his spot.

Yep. That was a pretty poor option agreed. However, your assertions are incorrect.

1. It wasn't a hospital handball. It was delivered straight to Scully. My understanding of anything 'hospital' in footy terms is that it has some form of serious ballooning happening (whether a handball or kick) and serious height/loop, thereby leaving the receiver in a dangerous exposed/open situation where he can be split down the middle or cleaned up shortly after taking possession OR as he waits under the ball to try and take possession as it comes down from a height. Agreed though, it was a poor option to handball to Scully as he was well covered and tackled immediately after the receive.

2. You are correct. Scully was tackled, and was driven into the ground. However, without the benefit of watching the replay again (as i haven't the time or inkling just for this one incident), i'm almost certain this did NOT result in a turnover. Yes Sculls could've been killed in the process lol, but it didn't result in a turnover. As you stated, Scully was driven into the ground, but from memory this resulted in a 'no prior opportunity' ball up.

Lastly, Bennell wont be the first or last MFC player (or AFL player) to have dished out some pretty poor handballs. I seem to recall Sculls dishing out some absolute shockers of late, some of which missed the target entirely and were also a little panicky :rolleyes:

At least Bennell's handball found its target, albeit a terrible 'panick' option in this case also with the timing a shocker. Was that a GWS handball from Bennell maybe!!? :lol:

I agree, Bennell needs to improve substantially before we could say he's reaching an acceptable output/level (as do a few others atm) that would see him as a definite inclusion most weeks. I also don't believe he should be an automatic inclusion (along with others) as it will sometimes come down to match ups on the day depending on who/where we're playing on a given week. I just see him as a possible important option in the mid field/half back mix going forward if he does keep improving, rather than a complete hopeless right off that some others see him as.

Edited by Rusty Nails

has as much genuine class/talent as anyone in the side except Jurrah

If he does , he doesn't use it near enough .

Does some nice things at times but goes missing for weeks at a time .

WYL mate I went tonight to see Bennell, I was determined to watch him closely.

Unfortunately I got what I did not want.

Very ordinary performance.

If you are subbed off early in the third quarter does that make you the worst on the ground?

May be not but it sure puts you in the worst few.

Believe it or not it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so.

He is an ordinary player at this level.

God knows what you and others see in him.

If you are subbed off early in the third quarter does that make you the worst on the ground?

Still better than bloody Morton tonight, nevertheless wasn't great.

Bennell's issue is he's very one-dimensional. Bit like Warnock - slot him into a specific role and he'll execute to perfection, but outside that he's generally poor.

+1

Bartram would have been useful against the dogs tonight