Lack of Support for Tigers Clash

Deemort

Obviously doesn't mean a lot but I was staggered to open the Herald Sun today and see 22 tips to 8 in Richmonds favour?? I mean for how evenly these to teams seem to match up and their similar stages in list development I find this very strange considering the TAB opened at $1.87 each.

And if its because of our roller coaster season so far, not being able to back it up after a big win I think you need to look at who we had to played after those wins. After the GC thrashing we had the bye and then had to take on West Coast at Subi, after the Crows smashing we went to Etihad V North (devastated by injury) who we just cant beat at the venue. After the great win against the Bombers we were asked to back it up against the Pies. I know it is more about how we turned up to those games, but now after humiliating Freo, we finally have a game at the G that we should be confident in. There are no excuses, this is a MUST MUST MUST win game!

Just wondered what the vibe was out there, are you confident we can get the win or do you think we wont turn up again, or play well but still get beaten?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a more reliable indicator for a game (and who is more likely to win an election) to see what people think when there is money riding on their choice. Right now Betfair has Richmond at $1.99 and Melbourne at $1.98. The punters have spoken...but I think they are whispering rather than shouting out loud.

[Note: I am not recommending anyone should bet].

I was also suprised not that it matters. Richmond have been more consistent so it is fair enough to expect they will turn up and play well. This game depends on which Melbourne will turn up. I'm hopefull the right one will!

Fair point about their consistency but the recent games the beat a pathetic looking Brisbane. Lost to the Swans who kicked 9.21 (should've slaughted them). Lost to Port in Darwin. Beat the Bombers, Lost Badly to the Bulldogs, Beat Freo easily however in Melbourne, Beat Brisbane in Melbourne, and only just got over North how kicked 1.8 in the final term.

I know a wins a win and so on, but if you brake it down like that are they really an in form team or just had a nice run of very winnable games, and lost some mind you.

Anyway I think you are spot on, If we turn up to play we should be ok.

Off the topic but just read a Richmond tweet that Ben Nason has replaced Brad Helbig as emergency. Hope he doesn't play, have a feeling he could be dangerous if he plays.

Most of them probably couldn't split the two and just happened to throw the Tiges in. It's hardly a vote of no-confidence in the MFC.

Mind you the way we play after a win I can see how you might use that as the tiebreaker. Doesn't hide the fact that we've both beaten Essendon (which is now discredited) and an out of form interstate club. Difference is that they lost to Port and we lost to the premiers, but how much did Darwin impact on that result?

Either way it promises to be a belter so I can see where the tipsters are coming from if they can't decide.

Off the topic but just read a Richmond tweet that Ben Nason has replaced Brad Helbig as emergency. Hope he doesn't play, have a feeling he could be dangerous if he plays.

If Ben Nason is dangerous against us we'll lose. He's in the Newton basket of AFL spuds.

If you look at the top 10. It's 5 each for Richmond and Melbourne. That's about where the game is at. Every other tipster after that are just making up the numbers and some are trying to catch up or wouldn't have the faintest.

Guest Artie Bucco

If Ben Nason is dangerous against us we'll lose. He's in the Newton basket of AFL spuds.

Not sure about the second half of that post, but I agree with the first sentence.

If we're worried about Nason, we're in a lot more trouble than I realised.

Guest Artie Bucco

If you look at the top 10. It's 5 each for Richmond and Melbourne. That's about where the game is at. Every other tipster after that are just making up the numbers and some are trying to catch up or wouldn't have the faintest.

Yeah, catching up in tipping is a forgotten element here.

It's wrong to look at the tips as purely their predicted outcome.

Sometimes in tipping you roll the dice on a longshot to make up lost ground.

He's in the Newton basket of AFL spuds.

Probably not the best comparison ever Roost It, given Nason only debuted last year and has played 23 games since averaging 11.3 disp, compared to Newton who debuted in 2007 and has only managed 29 games since (through the worst period I can remember for MFC) averaging just 10.9 disp.

Obviously doesn't mean a lot but I was staggered to open the Herald Sun today and see 22 tips to 8 in Richmonds favour?? I mean for how evenly these to teams seem to match up and their similar stages in list development I find this very strange considering the TAB opened at $1.87 each.

And if its because of our roller coaster season so far, not being able to back it up after a big win I think you need to look at who we had to played after those wins. After the GC thrashing we had the bye and then had to take on West Coast at Subi, after the Crows smashing we went to Etihad V North (devastated by injury) who we just cant beat at the venue. After the great win against the Bombers we were asked to back it up against the Pies. I know it is more about how we turned up to those games, but now after humiliating Freo, we finally have a game at the G that we should be confident in. There are no excuses, this is a MUST MUST MUST win game!

Just wondered what the vibe was out there, are you confident we can get the win or do you think we wont turn up again, or play well but still get beaten?

Thats good, we can build a seige mentality. US against the rest...

I am strangely extremely confident about this game…

I understand the thoughts of the tipsters and how this is our 2nd week which we don't turn up for but I just can't see us losing.

No matter what anyone says, were a better team across the board and if both teams play their best we will win. Such an important game we can't possibly just not turn up can we?

Really looking forward to it!

Demons by 32

Screw what the pundits think . We either win by 10 goals or lose by 10 .Thats how we roll .

This actually made me laugh...it's exactly how we roll. Exactly why I have no idea if we will win or lose.

For a lot of our rollercoaster weve had injuries. This is as close to a full strength side as weve had for a while. One man can make a difference. Since Sandilands has been out for Freo they have lost something like 9 out of 10 games by an ave of over 50pts.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

For a lot of our rollercoaster weve had injuries. This is as close to a full strength side as weve had for a while. One man can make a difference. Since Sandilands has been out for Freo they have lost 9 out of 10 games by an ave of over 50pts.

Aah yes....There are NO excuses tomorrow....Let's make that totally clear.

Guest Artie Bucco

It's not really much of a rollercoaster when you look at where the clubs we've played are on the ladder.

We've soundly beaten teams well below us, been thrashed by teams well above us, and been so-so against the teams around our level.

The tigers are actually the masters of bruise-free footy more than anyone.

Don't be fooled:

- 17th in contested possessions.

- 17th in tackles.

- 2nd in uncontested possessions.

- 2nd in handball receives.

I think we should be able to match their running game and beat them in the hardness stakes.

I'll be disappointed if we lose, all this "NO EXCUSES" and "MUST WIN" stuff is pretty rich.

Every good win we've had, we've lost badly the following match.

Beat Gold Coast by 90, lost the next match to WC by 54.

Beat Adelaide by 96, lost the next match to the Kangaroos by 41.

Beat Essendon by 33, lost the next match to Collingwood by 88.

Beat Fremantle by 89 ... why wouldn't you go for Richmond?

Not a surprise or lack of "support". We need to break the pattern.