What can we do?

Yes, this is another Tom Scully thread, but I am not here to discuss whether he will stay or go (and neither are you). Rather than discussing something that none of us have any idea about, lets actually do something positive. There has to be something that as supporters we can do to help keep Tom Scully at Melbourne. I saw the banner in the cheer squad on Saturday and thought that was a good start. I remember hearing a story that someone once stayed at a club because a kid sent some pocket money to the player(can't remember details), but lets get together and brain storm. Get creative. Maybe we should send him a letter, maybe a group of letters...It might seem silly, but it cannot hurt. What can we do to help keep Tom at our club.

(Mods please don't move this to the other thread- it will just get caught up in the garbage).

Yes, this is another Tom Scully thread, but I am not here to discuss whether he will stay or go (and neither are you). Rather than discussing something that none of us have any idea about, lets actually do something positive. There has to be something that as supporters we can do to help keep Tom Scully at Melbourne. I saw the banner in the cheer squad on Saturday and thought that was a good start. I remember hearing a story that someone once stayed at a club because a kid sent some pocket money to the player(can't remember details), but lets get together and brain storm. Get creative. Maybe we should send him a letter, maybe a group of letters...It might seem silly, but it cannot hurt. What can we do to help keep Tom at our club.

(Mods please don't move this to the other thread- it will just get caught up in the garbage)

i think the player you are talking about was Chris Grant, during Footscray's dark '89 merger days

A little kid sent him 40 cents or something like that with a letter....made him think a lot about the passion of supporter.

If the right idea is acted upon, Just do it....If we want Tom to stay, we gotta say it now....next year is too late (maybe)

(Mods please don't move this to the other thread- it will just get caught up in the garbage)

It was Chris Grant....

In the end, the kid either cares about money and will leave, or doesn't care about money and will stay. Personally I think we shouldn't put so much focus on one player - I have fears that one of our other growing stars will silently get poached while we're all focused on Sculldog, just like frodo sneaking into mordor whilst the eye of sauron is distracted...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cents-sealed-the-deal-for-former-bulldog-chris-grant/story-e6frf9jf-1225888681972

"IT MIGHT not have been enough to buy more than a handful of lollies, but for Chris Grant a 20-cent coin was a lasting symbol of his decision to remain a loyal Western Bulldogs player.

At the end of 1996, Grant rejected a huge offer to join Port Adelaide in its inaugural AFL season, partly due to a young fan who sent his pocket money in an envelope, urging him to stay at Whitten Oval."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cents-sealed-the-deal-for-former-bulldog-chris-grant/story-e6frf9jf-1225888681972

"IT MIGHT not have been enough to buy more than a handful of lollies, but for Chris Grant a 20-cent coin was a lasting symbol of his decision to remain a loyal Western Bulldogs player.

At the end of 1996, Grant rejected a huge offer to join Port Adelaide in its inaugural AFL season, partly due to a young fan who sent his pocket money in an envelope, urging him to stay at Whitten Oval."

If I could grab Tom's bank details I'll wire my pocket money through. Hopefully that works.

Guest 36DD

Mate I thought that was tacky and desperate, if he wants to stay then great, if he dont we move on with a great list.

Mate I thought that was tacky and desperate, if he wants to stay then great, if he dont we move on with a great list.

Yeah me too. It was made doubly bad by the cameras at the ground focussing on it after the game on the big screen and then zooming in on Scully's head for about 30 seconds while the players were in the middle afterwards. I know the club probably has no control over that but a quiet word to the MCC couldn't hurt.

Guest 36DD

Yeah me too. It was made doubly bad by the cameras at the ground focussing on it after the game on the big screen and then zooming in on Scully's head for about 30 seconds while the players were in the middle afterwards. I know the club probably has no control over that but a quiet word to the MCC couldn't hurt.

I admire their passion for the club but some people really are clueless....hope it gets left home this week

maybe it was tacky and desperate. but we all want him to stay desperatly so why have have a cheap shot at a fellow demon who is only trying to get across how he/she feels about the whole sad situation...??

I admire their passion for the club but some people really are clueless....hope it gets left home this week

Fair dinkum, you guys have lost touch with reality... This is football for us supporters, not business, so why wouldn't they let a player know they want him to stay at our club? Some of you are sounding like grumpy, jaded, old... Melbourne Supporters! Should we now ban all banners that are encouraging? Maybe we should just ban all kinds of supporting and sit in silent analysis of the game every week.

Stop looking for little things to complain about, there's plenty of more obvious things that need work.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Thinking outside the box, I love it!

Let him go to GWS then merge with them.

Genius.

Thanks for that. That gave me a good laugh at the end of a trying day.

Guest 36DD

Fair dinkum, you guys have lost touch with reality... This is football for us supporters, not business, so why wouldn't they let a player know they want him to stay at our club? Some of you are sounding like grumpy, jaded, old... Melbourne Supporters! Should we now ban all banners that are encouraging? Maybe we should just ban all kinds of supporting and sit in silent analysis of the game every week.

Stop looking for little things to complain about, there's plenty of more obvious things that need work.

Nah mate just common sense and human psychology. Like I said I admire their passion for the club I just feel it was misplaced. Are desperation and neediness attractive qualities???

Wouldn't it be best if we act like a confident and professional club that has great supporters, a fantastic board, a great footy admin, first class facilities and a young and up and coming list???

Support Tom as we always would. Cheer when he gets it, clap him as he comes of the ground etc. Just be supportive members; make him feel that we're behind him. I think that's where our influence begins and ends.

P.S. Not merging the thread. PM me if you want to discuss further.

whoever made that banner is a muppet. I'm sure they are reading this now, yes, you, you are a muppet.

thanks for INSTANTLY taking the gloss off a 15 goal win by giving the media a vehicle to overshadow it with the Scully debacle, for putting a bit more pressure on the kid, and reminding everyone we are a desperate minnow club, well done

Nah mate just common sense and human psychology. Like I said I admire their passion for the club I just feel it was misplaced. Are desperation and neediness attractive qualities???

Wouldn't it be best if we act like a confident and professional club that has great supporters, a fantastic board, a great footy admin, first class facilities and a young and up and coming list???

Nothing to do with desperation, it was about support. Pretty sure that banner hasn't changed the board, admin, facilities, or the list, so really don't see why that has even been brought into it...

Get over it guys, it's not worth this much analysis, a few supporters decided to say they liked Tom Scully playing for us and hoped he'd stay.

whoever made that banner is a muppet. I'm sure they are reading this now, yes, you, you are a muppet.

thanks for INSTANTLY taking the gloss off a 15 goal win by giving the media a vehicle to overshadow it with the Scully debacle, for putting a bit more pressure on the kid, and reminding everyone we are a desperate minnow club, well done

Haha, oh dear, MFCSS kicking in pretty hard there C & B...

Great Idea, start a new thread about Scully but don't put Scully in the title. That'll fool 'em.

FFS LEAVE IT ALONE YOU'LL GO BLIND

Edited by jnrmac