Tom Scully

Rogue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaded...what you say holds water...but so to does the view that Velocity would use the Dees offer to leverage a better one out of GWS...it does unfortunately cut two ways !!

Jaded...what you say holds water...but so to does the view that Velocity would use the Dees offer to leverage a better one out of GWS...it does unfortunately cut two ways !!

Of course they would, it's just smart business, but it wasn't Tom seeking out those things, and clearly his management went to GWS seeking an offer because they realise the MFC offer is so good that in all likelihood Tom would sign it.

If the offer was poor, or if they knew Tom was not happy with the club and wanting to leave, they would be in no rush. They'd milk out this process, getting both parties to raise the price and leave the decision until the last possible minute where in all likelihood Tom's price will be at its peak.

If Tom is waiting on who will be our Coach it is a dangerous path to take. How can we let a second year player have any impact on who will coach us. The Coach will be the best for the Club not best for Tom Scully.

It's waiting to see who is coaching him, not waiting to tell us who he wants to coach him.

But the "actual" GWS is the same as the offer that's been reported for months now

Seeking Melbourne's offer didn't seemingly get used as leverage

$1m a year for 5 years is still $1m a year for 5 years

Maybe, but not when he is 20 or 21. The $600k is the average over each of 5 yrs.

And I would say that his input in 2010 and 2011 is worth more than the $150k that he will be paid...

It all evens out in the end.

$3m over 5 years seems pretty manageable to me...

But the "actual" GWS is the same as the offer that's been reported for months now

Seeking Melbourne's offer didn't seemingly get used as leverage

$1m a year for 5 years is still $1m a year for 5 years

But that's impossible there was no offer, it was all media speculation, the fact that the figure coincides with that speculation is purely a $1 in $5m chance.

Guest hangon007

cut your losses ??

Martin Blakes article is actually interesting reading.

I too would consider this a risky .." all eggs in one basket" type of scenario

Almost the proverbial ...bird in the hand worth two in the bush.!!! esp when we have no contril over whether that one-bird really stays or not.

All negotiations and bartering etc carry intrinsically limitations.

Some realistic perpsective must be maintained by the club.

Very interesting article. I'm sure you will get some who are weary of the fight and want to give up. Yip throw your hand in now ... be a nice bunch of blokes. Your going to be damned if you do and damned if you dont.

And I would say that his input in 2010 and 2011 is worth more than the $150k that he will be paid...

It all evens out in the end.

$3m over 5 years seems pretty manageable to me...

Including the fact he missed half of the 2011 season?

But that's impossible there was no offer, it was all media speculation, the fact that the figure coincides with that speculation is purely a $1 in $5m chance.

Blucher hasn't confirmed the money amount.

That's a best guess by Sheahan and Clark.

It would then not be a stretch to see that best guess mirror the other best guesses that have made so much news over the past 6 months...

I didn't notice this earlier in this thread (so apologies if it was already posted), but The Demon 2286 posted this link over on Demonology:

Third-party deals to trump Greater Western Sydney offer for Tom Scully

Another layer of complexity to add to the current discussion by the naysayers and yaysayers :-)

Edited by hardtack

Including the fact he missed half of the 2011 season?

Strangely enough, yes.

I would put an injured 19 year old Tom Scully on more coin than our 'senior' players.

Essendon, Fremantle, and Richmond games co-incided with McKenzie and Scully coming back.

If we are to make the finals this year, I think Tom Scully will have a huge say in our last 8 games.

Says quite a bit, if you agree...

It's waiting to see who is coaching him, not waiting to tell us who he wants to coach him.

Yes I know that but for instance if Tom doesnt want Bailey there next year but the Club believes that Bailey is the best development coach where do we go from that. Do we reappoint Bailey believing that he is right for the job but knowing that we could lose Tom. Or if Tom wants Malthouse but we cant afford him !!I just believe that there should be no Scully influence one way or the other on whom we appoint/reappoint as Coach.

Yes I know that but for instance if Tom doesnt want Bailey there next year but the Club believes that Bailey is the best development coach where do we go from that. Do we reappoint Bailey believing that he is right for the job but knowing that we could lose Tom. Or if Tom wants Malthouse but we cant afford him !!I just believe that there should be no Scully influence one way or the other on whom we appoint/reappoint as Coach.

I don't think that is the case - I just see it as a 'are you really hiring Ric Charlesworth/Kevin Sheedy/Tom Hafey?' measure.

I cannot speculate what is in his head - ie. his view of Bailey. I will let others who know him to do that. I believe Wolfmother has chatted to him about it and he seems impressed with Bailey.

Anyway...we will see.

Should have no say in coaching appointments whatsoever. Tail wagging the dog ?

I didn't notice this earlier in this thread (so apologies if it was already posted), but The Demon 2286 posted this link over on Demonology:

Third-party deals to trump Greater Western Sydney offer for Tom Scully

Another layer of complexity to add to the current discussion by the naysayers and yaysayers :-)

I don't think it will/can happen as I think Adrian Anderson said today that any third party arrangement will need to be included as part of the salary cap.

I don't think that is the case - I just see it as a 'are you really hiring Ric Charlesworth/Kevin Sheedy/Tom Hafey?' measure.

I cannot speculate what is in his head - ie. his view of Bailey. I will let others who know him to do that. I believe Wolfmother has chatted to him about it and he seems impressed with Bailey.

Anyway...we will see.

I love it how you lambast me for using 'scuttlebutt journalists' to promote my view, yet will cite an anonymous poster named 'Wolfmother' to support yours.

Incredible.

I love it how you lambast me for using 'scuttlebutt journalists' to promote my view, yet will cite an anonymous poster named 'Wolfmother' to support yours.

Incredible.

You're right.

Or maybe not.

I said I wouldn't speculate and then gave the words of another.

The issue is with the anonymity of Wolfmother.

But we are happy to push twitterers and Facebookers and have no way of verifying them...

And while he is nameless, he claims Tom as his source, where the journos don't name theirs...

I would say you have a point, but that it isn't incredible.

I don't think it will/can happen as I think Adrian Anderson said today that any third party arrangement will need to be included as part of the salary cap.

I think it can be done if there is no direct link between the payments and the club. ie not sancitoned by the MFC or as a result of his employment with MFC, if you know what i mean. Judd's "employment" with Visy for example technically has nothing to do with the Blues.

No one player is bigger than the club.

I'm over all this crap about will he wont he go.

Tom has been off the field hopeless to this club, after day 1 being presented the great Ron Barassi's 31 to today watching as his team-mates Trengove Sylvia etc go in to fight his battles in the media, I find it appalling what he has done to the great MFC. I understand more than anyone, the figure being presented to nothing more than a baby teenager and how tempting it may be- that is fine but the way he has acted has shown nothing but disdain to the club that gave him his big break.

It is not an issue as to whether he is a liar or not, politicians and journalists do it every day; that isn't my issue- however he sat down in that media conference and said to everyone that offers were not being considered till the end of the year. Two days ago, everything changed and he disrespected Jim, Dean, his teammates and us as the supporters.

I love Tom Scully as a footballer but give me my two draft picks and let's get two young footballers who want to play for MFC. Kruezer, Murphy even bloody Gary f***ing Rohan can sign for their crap clubs and our boy can't commit to Australia's best team.

JV > TS