• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

Rogue

Thank goodness the player agent has clarified the situalion, I guess the only reason he went to GWS in the first place is because he read through the media that they may be interested in signing Tom, and let's face it Player Agents never never lie; do they? I'm pleased to hear that there had been no contact between him and GWS up to that point.

Is this Fantasy Island?

BTW I'm not suggesting that Tom lied, so before I feel the might of the "Tom will stay camp", let's get that straight.

Edited by RobbieF

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear me, some people are so foolish.

OK, let's look at what we know. Not what people like David Schwarz and Eddie McGuire have said, but what has emerged over the last couple of days.

GWS has offered $5 million over 5 years. We have offered $3 million over 5 years.

Someone did the after-tax calculation and comes out at something like $200,000 more per year for five years, so $1 million.

The HUN reports today that we have the option of using Judd-style third-party payments from business and other Victorian parties who want to see Scully stay at the MFC.

In addition, we know that we have the history, the culture, the friendships, the city, the future and the people at the club.

I really fail to see how the facts point towards Scully leaving being a certainty. To me, the more likely outcome is he stays. We're not that far behind on salary, we can help bridge the gap with third party payments, and we have the 'soft factors' in our favour.

the thing that smells to me is that they have publically come out and said they have contracts on the table now? If Scully and his management were dinkum about holding out till the end of the season then they could have done any of the folloiwng things;

Not accepted any formal contact offers until the end of the year

Not told the press and created a media frenzy, so that they could continue to slide under the radar using the "end of the year" mantra

why bring it back into the public spotlight now unless there are agendas?

Based on what?

You have not put up anything of substance on this matter. Just pedalled other people's rumours and innuendo and unsuccessfully dodged other posters accusations about Scully being a liar. Not a good performance.

Based on my intelligence which I'd say, based on your comment above and unwillingness to open your mind, supercedes yours.

the thing that smells to me is that they have publically come out and said they have contracts on the table now? If Scully and his management were dinkum about holding out till the end of the season then they could have done any of the folloiwng things;

Not told the press and created a media frenzy, so that they could continue to slide under the radar using the "end of the year" mantra

B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-O!

BTW I'm not suggesting that Tom lied, so before I feel the might of the "Tom will stay camp", let's get that straight.

whilst i am not accusing you of doing so, i think "suggesting" and "implying" in past posts on the Scully saga, are one and the same. I think that's worth pointing out too.

the poor kid has copped a hammering by many here. Scully was vindicated yesterday. the amount of unwarranted, unfounded and unsubstantiated remarks thanks to rumours and innuendo that i have read in a few scully threads over the last several months has been pathetic to say the least. Those should be ashamed of themselves. i honestly wonder how they lie straight in bed at night. They are no better or worse than some of the pedalling journalists in the industry.

Edited by Grimes to Watts

Just want to note on compensation - for first-round picks, the pick is immediately after the pick the club gets at that point in the draft.

Now, all over The Age today is the suggestion that Melbourne would get the Ablett level - two first-round picks. We're looking at the 2011 draft as basically a spud mob - but the 2012 draft looks to be one of the best in a long, long time.

Load up. Three first-round selections. One will go on JV (understandably) but we will get two others on top of this. Load up in that 2012 draft as the final echelon and push from 2015.

whilst i am not accusing you of doing so, i think "suggesting" and "implying" in past posts on the Scully saga, are one and the same. I think that's worth pointing out too.

the poor kid has copped a hammering by many here. Scully was vindicated yesterday. the amount of unwarranted, unfounded and unsubstantiated remarks thanks to rumours and innuendo that i have read in a few scully threads over the last several months has been pathetic to say the least. Those should be ashamed of themselves. i honestly wonder how they lie straight in bed at night. They are no better or worse than some of the pedalling journalists in the industry.

I said that the Player Manager was the one who is possibly twisting the truth not Tom Scully. Don't you find it a little bit strange that the player manager would all of a sudden go to GWS and say "we believe that you have a bit of interest in Tom so would you like to make an offer"? Isn't that just a little bit strange to you? Where did he get that idea from, the media perhaps, or perhaps it was the other way around and they approached him, if so when?

I just think that it's a bit fanciful to think that there is absolutely no truth to this rumour and if you don't then you are obviously more trusting than I am. If anyone thinks that the player manager coming out and stating that this is the first contact between GWS and him or his organisation and that clears up the matter then they live in La La Land.

The problem with saying "you got bad info" is that the next time you try to break a story or go on the record people will doubt you.

Your reputation takes a hit. Like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, you lose credibility.

That is the ramification.

It's not that hard to understand.

B-I-N-G-O!

I see you found the mirror, now all you need to do is recognise your own reflection.

It's not that hard to understand.

Based on what?

You have not put up anything of substance on this matter. Just pedalled other people's rumours and innuendo and unsuccessfully dodged other posters accusations about Scully being a liar. Not a good performance.

Rhino, is your profile picture of Scully with "order now" blazoned across him, some sort of tongue in cheek shout out to the bidding war taking place over his next contact ?! :P

Because the MFC gave their 'this is the best we can do' contract.

That is, apparently, what kicked this off.

Velocity have always maintained 'not until September' and so now they have the two contracts and Tom will decide in September.

When it all comes down to it - it's a 19 year old making an important decision and he wants to make it in September.

And those claiming that people who only take articles with actual quotes (you know, news articles) with any veracity are living in 'la la land' or 'kidding themselves' sound a little trite considering the lengths that these same posters infer into this story at the drop of a percentile (Schwarz, Barrett) or a passed-on whisper from Voldemort (someone that cannot be named).

This club is bigger than Tom Scully. If true, I find the suggestion that a 20 year old is assessing whether our club and its culture is 'good enough' for him to be quite patronising. I would expect/hope that all of our players are absolutely stoked to be playing in the red and the blue. Footy (and footy clubs) are not wholly a logical science - there's got to be some heart in it.

I'm concerned as to the effect this issue would be having on the rest of the player group. They're all Demons too, and some of them are currently much better players - and much more important to the future of this club - than number 31. Most of them appear to love the club too.

Hence, if we're talking two first round draft picks as compensation, I'm starting to feel more relaxed. I just don't hope we stuff up what has clearly been a very disciplined approach to list management over the last few years trying to compete with GWS over Tom Scully.

Our offering is good. But if it's not 'good enough', I say bring on two first rounders who will have a tear in the eye when they're presented with their very own red & blue guernsey. Sure everyone has different priorities - and good luck to Tom Scully if being a life long Demon is not one of his main priorities - but they're the types I reckon we should be recruiting as juniors.

I'm now going to trying and focus on this week's game against Port. This issue is doing my head in.

And those claiming that people who only take articles with actual quotes (you know, news articles) with any veracity are living in 'la la land' or 'kidding themselves' sound a little trite considering the lengths that these same posters infer into this story at the drop of a percentile (Schwarz, Barrett) or a passed-on whisper from Voldemort (someone that cannot be named).

bl**dy oath.

This thread is hilarious.

2011 has been a horrible season, bring on 2012 with or without Scully.

Here here, great post! My first reply to this thread. I want Scully to stay but bring on 2012 with or without! This is a joke.

Titan - agree with your post in terms of 'bridging the financial gap' and I've been saying the same thing.

I think this gap between the GWS and MFC offers can be bridged financially (through third-party deals) and through non-financial means (playing for a traditional club, in Melbourne, at the MCG, living with family and friends and not in West Sydney for a soulless club that no one cares about and will struggle for a number of years).

If Tom wants to stay, then I'm sure we can brige the gap and keep him.

If however he doesn't want to be at the club, is desperate to leave, and is happy to play with GWS, then obviously there won't be much chance of keeping him.

In other words I think we can meet his requirements which means if he wants to stay, he will have no reason to leave.

This club is bigger than Tom Scully. If true, I find the suggestion that a 20 year old is assessing whether our club and its culture is 'good enough' for him to be quite patronising. I would expect/hope that all of our players are absolutely stoked to be playing in the red and the blue. Footy (and footy clubs) are not wholly a logical science - there's got to be some heart in it.

I'm concerned as to the effect this issue would be having on the rest of the player group. They're all Demons too, and some of them are currently much better players - and much more important to the future of this club - than number 31. Most of them appear to love the club too.

Hence, if we're talking two first round draft picks as compensation, I'm starting to feel more relaxed. I just don't hope we stuff up what has clearly been a very disciplined approach to list management over the last few years trying to compete with GWS over Tom Scully.

Our offering is good. But if it's not 'good enough', I say bring on two first rounders who will have a tear in the eye when they're presented with their very own red & blue guernsey. Sure everyone has different priorities - and good luck to Tom Scully if being a life long Demon is not one of his main priorities - but they're the types I reckon we should be recruiting as juniors.

I'm now going to trying and focus on this week's game against Port. This issue is doing my head in.

It is a massive decision, and whatever is in his mind, he has the right to think it through, surely?

The MFC is a great place to be. It's Serenity. But don't tell me that there are not things to consider...

Who will coach the Dees in 2012? Who will lead the team?

These questions would stop any employee in their tracks. Heart or great heart.

Have a look at how he plays - rather than speculate about what is in his head.

He plays like a bloke that loves the jumper and would do anything to move the club and team forward an inch.

Has it come to this? your quoting Scarface?

For the love of god, shut this thread down so he doesn't have a soap box anymore

Hey , hey ,hey--Range Rover has every right to have an opinion,just like you and me..actually starting to think 2 first round picks seem very good.Gee it would help me immenaely next year in Ultimate Footy.

For the MFC- I'd love to get a Jonathon Patton and hold another 1st round pick for next year as we will have to give up a 1st round pick for Jack Viney.Next years Under 18 draft will be a beauty possibly as good as 2009 and nearly as good as 2001.

Hey , hey ,hey--Range Rover has every right to have an opinion,just like you and me..actually starting to think 2 first round picks seem very good.Gee it would help me immenaely next year in Ultimate Footy.

For the MFC- I'd love to get a Jonathon Patton and hold another 1st round pick for next year as we will have to give up a 1st round pick for Jack Viney.Next years Under 18 draft will be a beauty possibly as good as 2009 and nearly as good as 2001.

Surely we cant get Patton can we, we wouldnt get number 1 or 2 pick would we? Wont it be like 17 and 18 dependant on ladder possie of course.