• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Tom Scully Saga

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest watts04

i think most the MFC supporter base has given up on Tom staying and he has ran out of excuses not to sign....

whats the grounds to appeal an end of first round pic?

Always loved Schwarta as a player, has never really struck me as one of the more " in the know" people in the media though

Has anyone seen this?

Schwarz sure Scully is going

Crap commentator, crap boundary-rider, obviously a crap forward coach, does not give the prizes he promised on the radio and takes every opportunity to talk about how much he loves the hawks and negatively about demons.

Even SEN will grow weary of him soon, his show is as irrelevant as his opinion about Skull.

i think most the MFC supporter base has given up on Tom staying and he has ran out of excuses not to sign....

whats the grounds to appeal an end of first round pic?

I'm 50/50 on if he'll stay or go, obviously I hope he'll stay.

One thing I will say though is that surely his managment would be behind him waiting to seasons end to sign. With all the speculation about Tom going to GWS, Melbourne may end up offering him more then they otherwise would have in a desperate effort to keep him.

Bear in mind that they are not able to sign anyone right now. There was a specific window last october when they were able to sign players. Otherwise, they have to wait until after the season. If he's claiming to have already signed someone, then they signed a contract last year. Since Tom strikes me as a man of significant integrity, I do not believe that he has been lying all this time when saying that he has not spoken to them and has not signed anything. Therefore they are not able to sign him until after this season and any claim otherwise is just hot air.

I hope you don't mind me cutting and pasting this every couple of days because this is onee of the most sensible things written on here. This is directly from Tom the person who had to sign the deal (including parents etc etc) and unless all these other sources are the GWS recruiting manager who he signed with I think people need to drop it

Reading into this thread and speaking to a few on this site and others everyone seems frustrated with Tom not being about to support him etc etc. What will peoples reaction if at the end of the year he signs with the MFC. Will they resent that he didn;t sign early?

Reading into this thread and speaking to a few on this site and others everyone seems frustrated with Tom not being about to support him etc etc. What will peoples reaction if at the end of the year he signs with the MFC. Will they resent that he didn;t sign early?

Everyone will be delighted if he stays, absolutely, but it's human nature to try and not get attached to people who you don't think are going to stick by you.

It's an automatic reaction for most to think "better not get too excited about him, because it'll only hurt more when he's gone". It's very much like if you've had a run of bad relationships, you find it hard to trust new ones.

It's a normal defense mechanism and I understand why some supporters have chosen to believe beyond doubt that he's gone. Always better to be pleasantly surprised, than hope for the best and have that hope ripped away from you.

Of course the media speculation doesn't always turn out to be true, but when you hear over and over again "he's gone", and the only people who are saying otherwise are those with vested interest in our club who may well be wishfully thinking he'll stay, it's hard to remain upbeat about the situation.

Bottom line is, while I don't believe Scully has already signed or agreed to terms with GWS, I think that him not signing with Melbourne says enough to suggest that he knows he won't be able to resist the offer coming from GWS at season's end. And fair enough, that's a lot of money to turn down, even if the chances of him winning a premiership at Melbourne are greater.

It's an automatic reaction for most to think "better not get too excited about him, because it'll only hurt more when he's gone". It's very much like if you've had a run of bad relationships, you find it hard to trust new ones.

It's a normal defense mechanism and I understand why some supporters have chosen to believe beyond doubt that he's gone. Always better to be pleasantly surprised, than hope for the best and have that hope ripped away from you.

Of course the media speculation doesn't always turn out to be true, but when you hear over and over again "he's gone", and the only people who are saying otherwise are those with vested interest in our club who may well be wishfully thinking he'll stay, it's hard to remain upbeat about the situation.

Bottom line is, while I don't believe Scully has already signed or agreed to terms with GWS, I think that him not signing with Melbourne says enough to suggest that he knows he won't be able to resist the offer coming from GWS at season's end. And fair enough, that's a lot of money to turn down, even if the chances of him winning a premiership at Melbourne are greater.

Agree it seems as if it all comes with supporting the dees.

If all we get is an early second rounder i will be fuming!

What did Geelong get for Ablett?

Surely we could throw a decent Pay package considering Bruce was our highest paid player and he left!

The part that is annoying is all the rumors he's signed which are plainly false so these 'HoA signed... now pulling out' rumors are crap. Will he stay when the offers come in at the end of the year now that's a whole new discussion. I have a deal that may net him another 150K a year so until the deals signed we are still in with a chance ;)

The quicker people start to accept that hes gone the better. Its shattering for everyone but its surely a done deal now. If everyone is willing to risk their credibility by saying he is gone why isnt someone willing to go the other way and say he is staying. That way if he did they gain credibility. Someone like Ox wouldnt want to add fuel to the fire for no reason. He loves the club.

I couldn't disagree more.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by accepting that he's going to GWS unless it's an undeniable fact. That isn't the case.

There is everything to gain from accepting Tom at his word and absolutely nothing to lose. He said he hasn't signed anything with GWS and he can't sign anything now. He may be in the process of making up his mind what he's going to do. In that case all the support he gets from us is positive.

rpfc's been saying this for ages.

Do you think Paddy who was mentioned in the Sunday Age article is helping?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/loyalty-must-have-rewards-20110611-1fyca.html

Edited by old55

Do you think Brisbane give a toss that Buckley left?

The restraints of the salary cap mean we can't keep them all. We simply can't pay over the odds.

If he does leave I'm going to Boo him till the cows come home.

Guest Artie Bucco

This is a stretch, but bear with me...

I actually think, in David Schwarz's mind, that he is trying to help the club.

He can't possibly know which way Scully is even leaning.

The Ox would be the last to find out, and if he knew the entire club would know, down to the boot-studder (do they still have those?).

I think what Schwarz is trying to do is shift the focus from "will he / won't he?" to "he is going - what will the compensation be?" in an effort to get better compensation in the event Scully does go.

I just don't see how he'd even know, and if he did, why he'd make these claims, because they certainly don't help the club he cares about the most.

The motive for his actions doesn't compute.

I just don't see how he'd even know, and if he did, why he'd make these claims, because they certainly don't help the club he cares about the most.

The motive for his actions doesn't compute.

He's not very bright?

This is a stretch, but bear with me...I actually think, in David Schwarz's mind, that he is trying to help the club.He can't possibly know which way Scully is even leaning.The Ox would be the last to find out, and if he knew the entire club would know, down to the boot-studder (do they still have those?).I think what Schwarz is trying to do is shift the focus from "will he / won't he?" to "he is going - what will the compensation be?" in an effort to get better compensation in the event Scully does go.I just don't see how he'd even know, and if he did, why he'd make these claims, because they certainly don't help the club he cares about the most.The motive for his actions doesn't compute.

Or

He's just calling it as he sees it and enough reputable people have told him he's gone.

You can bury your beneath the sand for only so long.

Eventually inaction (on Scully's and his Management) becomes too obvious.

There are no REAL reasons why he wouldn't begin negotiation in some form other than the reason being because he's already gone.

Guest Artie Bucco

Or

He's just calling it as he sees it and enough reputable people have told him he's gone.

You can bury your beneath the sand for only so long.

Eventually inaction (on Scully's and his Management) becomes too obvious.

There are no REAL reasons why he wouldn't begin negotiation in some form other than the reason being because he's already gone.

I don't think that taking David Schwarz's opinion with a grain of salt is burying your head in the sand.

Nor is refusing to believe a string of unsubstantiated rumours.

Especially when a number of journos have changed their tune of late, and are saying the opposite.

Inaction is only Scully & his management sticking to exactly what they said they would from the outset.

Are you afraid of the dark too..?