• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who would you hand the captaincy to?

Striker475

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would never happen, and it should never be considered.

It would destroy the club, and we would be a laughing stock.

Stick through thick and thin. He will come good.

He got the most votes as captain from the supporters and players.

You are a fickle lot!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it will never happen, you're right, he will be supported through thick and thin. This is after all a hypothetical topic.

Having said that, getting the most votes doesn't necessarily make you the right person for the job.

He has the support of the playing group.

I think its just a form thing with Greeny.

Im not judging him untill the end of the season, just like Bails.

It would be a tragedy for Greeny to be stood down.

We should all be hoping and praying it all comes together for him.

Would be sticking with Green. No one has stood out as a better option. Maloney is my pick if it had to be done, as the OP suggests.

Interesting that you have not included Sylvia.

I agree, Green will have a two year stint and it will be time to move ah la Junior! Very surprised that Sylvia was left off the list. He'd be a great captain. Or Trenners in a couple of years.

The next premiership captain will rise nataurally.

Who knows, maybe;

Trengove

Jones

Frawley

Moloney

Watts

Scully

Grimes

Tapscott

Davey

Sylvia

Who can handle the expectation.

Who can deliver.

Probably trenners,

Viney aint played yet.

His dad might be coach.

Destiny is yet to be written

We have the ingredients tho.

Who can put them together? That is the question.

Just a hypothetical since I know a number on here don't like Green as captain, and regardless all can see that he has been...'lacklustre', for want of a better term. Assume someone has to take the mantle for either him conceding the role or somesuch.

After watching the replay Tuesday, I wouldn't change anything Yet. We need to let the side settle to relly see how thingsreally are,,,, rather than be making the reckless assertions of a shambles..

In fact it looks more like the team just has not Yet found It's collective composure with the Injuries at a time when we lost Leaders last season and started this year with injuries to key personell we struggled to cover. It looks like our shell shocked Leaders are starting to find their composure.

So I'd like to ask everone to take a collective breath with the team, and wait see how we rebound from these tests of our Team composure, and I think we'll see an Improving side coming along.

He has the support of the playing group.

I think its just a form thing with Greeny.

Im not judging him untill the end of the season, just like Bails.

It would be a tragedy for Greeny to be stood down.

We should all be hoping and praying it all comes together for him.

Well said mate.

Green is the Captain for the 2011 season. Simple. Changing this midway wreaks of desperation and demonstrates nothing more than an under-confident, reactionary, ordinary culture.

Re-elevate Moloney immediately to the leadership group, particularly wih Grimes and Rivers out injured. And reinstate him as VC - his presence is needed.

Also elevate Sylvia and Jamar to the leadership group - quite simply, we need them in it. With Moloney, they are are our senior on-field warriors.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

And let's wait and see whether Scully actually does the right thing by the club and commits to it, before even mentioning him as a potential captain of the club. The sort of future captain I would like to see should literally be champing at the bit to sign for the club (eg, Trengove and Tapscott).

Dead set, I reckon 8 year kids have more sensible footy discussions than some of the garbage served up on this thread.

well said DEEZEE, I know only a hypothetical question but why on earth would you want Trenners to do it within the next 2 years, he is just a pup learning the game. Let him learn and develop from the older guys at the club for anoth 3-4 then bang, go for it. Although Green may be struggling at the moment hes clearly got the runs on the board. Once he realises to go out and attack the footy like the last few years all will be forgotten. He is far too important for us. Grimes as captain?????? Got to be kidding!!!! Would like my captain on the ground for most of the year. Beamer!!! Dropped VC.

Lets just unite and smash the saints this week.

No idea how we will or or how they will go

Guest Gotzy15

Moloney/Davey - Surely you wouldn't consider jeapordising the possibility of good form for the rest of the season with the added pressure of captaincy

Frawley - Plays too far back

Grimes - Too injured

Rivers - loses it a little bit too easily for captain material

Green - His performances are too important for team success. Give him less pressure.

Trengove - Too young, despite showing leadership qualities.

Jones is my pick. His form isn't based on performance as much as the others. The pressure of captaincy can cause players to try a little too hard amd it inevitably has the opposite result.

Jonesy's value is in his 'lead by example' quality of no nonsense, non fancy, constant, tough courage. You can be having an off day but if you keep putting in 100% effort things can change.

Argue or laugh if you will but I really think you can rule out players that are considered to be our most talented or experienced.

If your top players (Moloney, Green, Davey) are tagged and cut out of a game, their captaincy takes a back seat and they get a little self focussed (for the team's benefit of course) but who's rallying the troops then?

Look at the teams that are well lead

Collingwood (Maxwell) - best player? Hell no.

Geelong (Ling) - performance vital for team success? No.

Judd at Carlton is an exception but c'mon, the guy's a freak.

Let the key players focus on their own games, and let a blue collar tough nut lead the troops into battle.

Interesting point....im listening

The thing is, Green has the potential to be an excellent captain, and wasn't given the job for no reason.

His best football was when he was out of the leadership group, and he was playing like a man possessed, and determined to win back respect.

If he can find that form and commitment again, he will be a great captain.

He has to find it within himself to get back to that standard, and set the example.

I've seen him do enough brave and tough acts over the years, and he definitely has the talent.

Let's back him in while he adjusts to the role.

The Brad Green appointment was similar to the Vandenburg appointment at Hawthorn, Does anyone else remember the negative press this bloke got for being a nobody to lead the club? It was a two year stint while lgenuine leadership developed benaeth him, then he stepped aside. At the time I thought it was the perfect decision for a club about to rise. Is Brad green going to be a great skipper? Probably not. But he is the perfect man for this period. He has a lot to show and a lot to learn, but the players respect him. Have some faith in the Club and FD, and show some hard-times supoprt for a man who would be really battling now, but has been a great player over the paast 3-4 years.

The question needs to then be asked - who becomes the Captain after Green?

Some people are saying trengove but a run of excellent games does not define a player as a leader. many great players are never considered as Captain material becasue their influence over the paying group is minimal. I don't sense a lot of players "following" Trenners as they do someone else young like Joel Selwood, or a young Stephen Kernahan.

Moloney stands out as ready and able but he can be critical of his own players at times.

If Grimes can get his body right - he is the right man. A lot of the young players look up to him.

Jones is similar but I am unsure if his influence is only training related.

To be honest, our leadership stocks are thin, and we need to focus on this as a FD and as a club.

The Brad Green appointment was similar to the Vandenburg appointment at Hawthorn, Does anyone else remember the negative press this bloke got for being a nobody to lead the club? It was a two year stint while lgenuine leadership developed benaeth him, then he stepped aside. At the time I thought it was the perfect decision for a club about to rise. Is Brad green going to be a great skipper? Probably not. But he is the perfect man for this period. He has a lot to show and a lot to learn, but the players respect him. Have some faith in the Club and FD, and show some hard-times supoprt for a man who would be really battling now, but has been a great player over the paast 3-4 years.

The question needs to then be asked - who becomes the Captain after Green?

Some people are saying trengove but a run of excellent games does not define a player as a leader. many great players are never considered as Captain material becasue their influence over the paying group is minimal. I don't sense a lot of players "following" Trenners as they do someone else young like Joel Selwood, or a young Stephen Kernahan.

Moloney stands out as ready and able but he can be critical of his own players at times.

If Grimes can get his body right - he is the right man. A lot of the young players look up to him.

Jones is similar but I am unsure if his influence is only training related.

To be honest, our leadership stocks are thin, and we need to focus on this as a FD and as a club.

Interesting Mark Williams comments on Brad on the MFC site "He needs to keep driving other players to perform". To me that is saying to Brad and the world what we are saying here - his current leadership skills are lacking. I think the comments of Williams of Game 8 were reflecting comments here but his comment on Moloney "he worked hard to get to Andrew Swallow at stoppages" - so Moloney was tagging Swallow. North say Swallow was tagging Moloney!

Interesting Mark Williams comments on Brad on the MFC site "He needs to keep driving other players to perform". To me that is saying to Brad and the world what we are saying here - his current leadership skills are lacking. I think the comments of Williams of Game 8 were reflecting comments here but his comment on Moloney "he worked hard to get to Andrew Swallow at stoppages" - so Moloney was tagging Swallow. North say Swallow was tagging Moloney!

moloney moved onto swallow when he was being beaten by jack ziebell

Edited by trenlove

The thing is, Green has the potential to be an excellent captain, and wasn't given the job for no reason.

His best football was when he was out of the leadership group, and he was playing like a man possessed, and determined to win back respect.

If he can find that form and commitment again, he will be a great captain.

He has to find it within himself to get back to that standard, and set the example.

I've seen him do enough brave and tough acts over the years, and he definitely has the talent.

Let's back him in while he adjusts to the role.

Top call RD, you don't make it into the 2010 All Australian Squad for no reason!

Go Dees!

I will watch Colin Sylvia's game over the next few months to see if he has got what it takes. Sure, he's had off-field issues, but at this stage, he's the only one that could play in the guts and have an impact, then in the next play go forward and kick 4 or 5 goals. He is a potential match winner, has toughness, and I think that's what this Club is needing.

If Green's form picks up by the end of the year, I'd leave BG as Captain next year, and throw the challenge down to any of Jones, Grimes, Trengove or Scully. While Jones isn't the most gifted in the group, he does wear his heart on his sleeve, and regardless of his form, he always puts in. He could be similar to that Kirk-style captain that some would like.

That said, the 1 man that really wants to Captain this Club through the exciting years coming, I would like to think that they will make it obvious over the next 18 months. Who is it? I'm not sure. I wouldn't count out Watts.

I think Clint Bartram could make a good future melbourne captain...I think he plays with hardness that many of the players lack....his football is certainly improving. I know it's not popular choice.

I'm not happy with any of the current leadership group.

Beamer has gone missing against Hawks and North this year...that's when a captain or future captain should have stood up.