GAME DAY

Six days ago, I kicked off the Game Day thread as follows:-

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

I'm going to go early with gameday and say that today's game has important implications for the Melbourne Football Club. A good performance and hopefully a win will take the heat off the club while the spotlight goes onto Eade, Voss and hopefully, Craig.

I think our danger man today is Dangerfield and I'd like to see Jack Trengove turn it on today. He's been one of honest hard workers throughout the early part of this season and I sense that he's ready to step up a little more in the not too distant future.

Eerie, isn't it?

I'm going to be careful this time and won't name any players in this post because I clearly owe them a duty of care to prevent injury and unwanted tribunal appearances but I will say that today's game has equally important implications for the Melbourne Football Club.

Last week, it was all about the team's capacity to come back after an unsatisfactory performance and the response from the playing group was everything we could ask for and more.

Today, it's more complex than that. The club has been under the microscope because of a combination of the Jack Trengove situation and the injuries to some key players. This poses a different test for the group but it also gives it an opportunity to demonstrate its mental resilience and the capacity of players to step into the breach when injuries occur.

We've always been regarded as brittle and flaky. Now's the time to prove to the football public that this reputation is wrong.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still wondering if Martin will play. It seems a strange decision to drop Bate and bring in Newton when Dunn and Watts backed up Jamar last week, so could do the same this week again for Martin.

I get the feeling that Martin may go out, Bate comes in for him, and Newton and Dunn will ruck for us (yiiikes!).

There are moments in a clubs history that clearly define the start of an era of success, This could be that moment for the Melbourne Football Club.

We have stood up this week to the AFL with the Trengove situation directly following a massive "backs to the wall" display against the Crows. We have stated our intentions as a supporter group and for the first time I can remember rallied in both defence of our own and also our no longer willingness to accept mediocrity.

We sit 7th and 1 win ahead of the ledger yet we as a group are not content like we have been in the past. We want to push on now.

We are dead set up against it this week with our top 2 picks out along with our AA ruckman and our future captain on the sidelines, And We are playing our bogey side at a venue we have had no success at.

This is how champion teams are made ladies and Gentlemen and I for one have a feeling that this is the moment we as an entire entity have been building to. This will be the making of a Champion team today, the moment when a club moves beyond past failings and realises that it can win any-time anywhere regardless of circumstance.

I feel it in my bones today boys and girls. Enjoy the ride.

I am still wondering if Martin will play. It seems a strange decision to drop Bate and bring in Newton when Dunn and Watts backed up Jamar last week, so could do the same this week again for Martin.

I get the feeling that Martin may go out, Bate comes in for him, and Newton and Dunn will ruck for us (yiiikes!).

Not a chance Jerry. Against the talls of north we will need Martins height. Not only in the ruck against Goldstein, but he can also go back onto a Petrie or Hansen if needed. He will be very important today.

I have said all week that I get the feeling from the events and reaction of the players that this will have a galvanizing effect on the group, the siege mentality, us v them. The classic Northey mantra. Here's hoping I'm right and we see another FEROCIOUS Melbourne performance!!!

This is also all I'm going to say on 'protests' etc.

Because I've calmed down now, and think it's all about the game today anyway.

BUT if anyone stands on L1, up behind the seats etc.

Perhaps stand on the wing, on Docklands side, where the MFC player usually sit.

Let's get down there and support the game day players and those out- and let Trengove know we're all behind him.

Guest DeesPower

No disagree. If Martin doesn't play I'd be almost sure Gawn would. Otherwise why would they have added him to the emergencies list? It would also be playing with fire to have undersized ruckmen against two dominant talls. One thing Gawn is is he is a giant (6'9") and he is a very effective tap ruckman. His game is maturing around the ground, but what we need him to do is to provide a contest so we are not dominated in an area we usually dominate.

If he does get a chance I predict he will pleasantly surprise us all.

No disagree. If Martin doesn't play I'd be almost sure Gawn would. Otherwise why would they have added him to the emergencies list? It would also be playing with fire to have undersized ruckmen against two dominant talls. One thing Gawn is is he is a giant (6'9") and he is a very effective tap ruckman. His game is maturing around the ground, but what we need him to do is to provide a contest so we are not dominated in an area we usually dominate.

If he does get a chance I predict he will pleasantly surprise us all.

even more huger (sic) 208 = 6'10" - (and he might have grown since signing?)

I have never had a good feeling about a game against North in the past. We always seem to either fall just short or not turn up to play. But I can't help but think all the happenings this week may be a blessing in disguise and the boys will really come ready to play. Fingers crossed I am right..

This is also all I'm going to say on 'protests' etc.

Because I've calmed down now, and think it's all about the game today anyway.

BUT if anyone stands on L1, up behind the seats etc.

Perhaps stand on the wing, on Docklands side, where the MFC player usually sit.

Let's get down there and support the game day players and those out- and let Trengove know we're all behind him.

I am going today SJX but I often wonder if the players care if there is 20, 25 or 30 000 at the game!

My gut feeling is that we'll lose. Everything points to it: North Melbourne, at Etihad, without Jamar, Trengove or Grimes.

Having said that, if Moloney can still compete in the middle without Jamar's assistance, if Sylvia, Davey and Green play like they did last week, and if Petterd, Jurrah, Watts and Wonaeamirri attack the ball the same way they did last week, we can/will win.

As is the case every time we play North, we are more talented and play a better brand of football at our best, but we never seem to get close to our best against them.

My gut feeling is that we'll lose. Everything points to it: North Melbourne, at Etihad, without Jamar, Trengove or Grimes.

Having said that, if Moloney can still compete in the middle without Jamar's assistance, if Sylvia, Davey and Green play like they did last week, and if Petterd, Jurrah, Watts and Wonaeamirri attack the ball the same way they did last week, we can/will win.

As is the case every time we play North, we are more talented and play a better brand of football at our best, but we never seem to get close to our best against them.

T T F U P

It's because they are so well-organised, and drilled in an almost military fashion for set plays, and because they prepare and plan and structure so meticulously for us. Where we always seem surprised to find that our usual strengths and our main playmakers are all covered, and they've stifled our "better brand of football" and made us play on their terms. And each time we play right into their hands - dumb dumb dumb!

We can expect:

* Davey & possibly Sylvia to get hard niggling tags

* Plenty of tall timber in their forward line, who will get most of their goals

* The corridor crowded to the max

* Lots of blocking & shepherding (& holding) in close to allow their runners to get free at clearances

* An extremely disciplined total forward press at our kickouts, and a number of equally-disciplined set-plays to clear it from their kick-outs

* Us to be totally surprised by all of this, and to take at least a quarter to find our feet, but to keep turning it over in the corridor all game

What I can't work out is why we're always surprised at how badly Norf want to beat us, and at how hard they work & prepare for it. I'd like to think that in amongst all the upheavals of this week, somebody at MFC has done a bit of thinking about our last 6 or 8 games against Norf, and can anticipate what's going to happen and even work out how we're might surprise THEM for a change. It has to happen sooner or later.

Guest DeesPower

It's because they are so well-organised, and drilled in an almost military fashion for set plays, and because they prepare and plan and structure so meticulously for us. Where we always seem surprised to find that our usual strengths and our main playmakers are all covered, and they've stifled our "better brand of football" and made us play on their terms. And each time we play right into their hands - dumb dumb dumb!

We can expect:

* Davey & possibly Sylvia to get hard niggling tags

* Plenty of tall timber in their forward line, who will get most of their goals

* The corridor crowded to the max

* Lots of blocking & shepherding (& holding) in close to allow their runners to get free at clearances

* An extremely disciplined total forward press at our kickouts, and a number of equally-disciplined set-plays to clear it from their kick-outs

* Us to be totally surprised by all of this, and to take at least a quarter to find our feet, but to keep turning it over in the corridor all game

What I can't work out is why we're always surprised at how badly Norf want to beat us, and at how hard they work & prepare for it. I'd like to think that in amongst all the upheavals of this week, somebody at MFC has done a bit of thinking about our last 6 or 8 games against Norf, and can anticipate what's going to happen and even work out how we're might surprise THEM for a change. It has to happen sooner or later.

Very insightful post. This is a real test for Bailey et al.

It will be very interesting to see how we try and counter these obvious strategies from them. I'd like to see us being a little counter cyclical; in other word don't necessarily play our predictable style to see how they react. We will have to to some extent anyway given the loss of Jamar and Trengove. It may be a day to kick it long into our forward half on fast leads. See if Watts can run his tag ragged, and Jurrah stretches them in the square.

I'm a firm believer that, no matter who is out of our side, if we can maintain the intensity and pressure of last week then the results should fall our way.

Good luck to the boys! Big game today - need the win ahead of our tough month coming up starting next week vs Saints at Etihad!

Here now! Go dees. Have a good feeling about today naturally the losses of our better players will hurt but the guys coming in would have watched on the sidelines itching to get out there with the belief that they can do that too!