Today proves to me that Bailey must go

Guest Thomo

How about agitating the softer players on our list & try putting a bur in their saddles. If you want to be constructive.

On that score I think dropping Bennell and Morton was significant. Both of them should spend another three weeks at Casey at least.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that score I think dropping Bennell and Morton was significant. Both of them should spend another three weeks at Casey at least.

Morton perhaps, but Bennell definitely not... he is versatile enough that he can be very damaging on the forward line and is able to provide run from the back line. With Grimes out and Bate a possibility to be relegated to Casey yet again, Bennell and Martin should both come in against North.

Edited by hardtack

Probably. They sell on the lows and buy on the highs.

Not me maurie - I bought the dees on a low (1986...although i did go to the last game of that year with a norm supporter and his family...and I was never invited back) and i intend to sell out on a low too! Nothing quite like the experience of quitting late on a losing trade to remind you of your position in life.

With some luck I'll be able to blame someone else for it, too. A sense of futility and external control will make the experience complete.

Edited by timD

Not me maurie - I bought the dees on a low (1986...although i did go to the last game of that year with a norm supporter and his family...and I was never invited back) and i intend to sell out on a low too! Nothing quite like the experience of quitting late on a losing trade to remind you of your position in life.

With some luck I'll be able to blame someone else for it, too. A sense of futility and external control will make the experience complete.

maybe we can get a few demonlanders together and file a class action against the MFC (or he AFL)?

It is actually an interesting topic,

After Sunday Baileys position has "improved" seemingly, but can still go either way, we all know what happens if the team falls back into old habits, that is Good bye and a hand shake.

The question i think is more relevant is what happens if things continue as are? we win 11-12 games this is the best possible scenario in my opinion... or there abouts and make the 8???

I still have the same opinion as last week, and that is that as the MFC we need to target the BEST possible candidate in 2012, so who will that be if Bailey lifts this team in the coming rounds?

Does it change from a Malthouse/Roos to him?

I think we would need to be playing with a very high intensity for this to happen.....

My point being even if Bailey wins 11-12 games or more would we all take a Malthouse or Roos anyway i will go out on a limb and say yes

That is the facts for Bailey.... so when does he become the BEST candidate... is he 3rd behind the BIG 2... if he can get the team playing consistently at a high level? or does he keep it regardless if he can do this?

If he can get the team playing at a similar level to the weekend for a long period of time and be competitive he becomes a very valuable commodity....this is all a long way off

You are asking a question you have already decided...

A bit disengenuous.

Bailey needs moreof these performances, more often, but if he gets them I don't care if gets an extension.

I just want to see improvement and the makings of a flag winning outfit.

My Quote

"I still do not believe Bailey is the coach to take us to that level, to be to truly be considered a real contender for a Grand Final Flag

If Bailey manages to get that consistency out of the players so they perform on a consistent basis, then maybe Ill reconsider my view

This season holds the key to Baileys aspirations and we all know that.

A one off performence wont do it and he knows that, now we need to see if he can get them to perform each week to the best of their abilities, now we know what they are capable of this becomes even harder for Bailey, but thats what a good coach can deal with.

This season will tell if Bailey falls in that category "

I see nothing disengenuous if my full quote is not taken out of context

I personally do not believe Bailey is the one to take as Forward but I am entitled to that opinion

However if Bailey proves me wrong then I will be more than Happy to "Appologise Here" should he succeed where I dont think he can

Like all supporters I wont to see the MFC Club Succeed and I am sick and tired of excuses.

As far as I am concerned the Buck stops here right now!

Its Bailey who is the coach & if Bailey cant get the players to give it their best from here to the end of the season in each game, wether they win, loose or Draw, if they cant fight it out to the bitter end regardless of the result, then Bailey isnt the one to take us forward.

All I ask for is belief in themselves,an endeavour and a hunger for success, so they can compete at all levels, against all teams and in doing so, gain the respect of all other AFL teams, who come to recognise that if they are playing Melbourne then they know they are in for a real game regardless of the outcome.

We are not Grand final aspirants at this stage, however I believe we should be setting our eyes on the Final Eight

The boys need to get there to get that finals experience so they can take the next step forward after that.

If its all supposedly the responsibilty of the players on the day and how they feel

and it isnt up to Bailey to get them there then why do we need a coach at all???

If you believe that players determine then own destiny then you dont understand football.

A coach determines a clubs destiny how he sets about getting the best from his players week in week out, how he inspires and lifts them to perform feats that they themselves did not believe they were capable of , these are but a few traits of what I deem a good coach.

Bailey has yet to show me that and more, consistantly .

He has this year not only to show that he can do this but also that he believes they can too.

I'll maintain that there's a point where he keeps his job. That point will not be the 8. This side could very well make the finals this year, and I would love to see them do so, but we cannot expect it. However, there is certainly a minimum expectation of ten wins, based off last season and general improvement. Disagree with it however much you want, that is almost certainly what the board expects. Any less and Bailey will not stand a chance.

Personally I think he will need to make finals to guarantee himself the job for 2012 when you see the two other coaches who could be taken.

I'll maintain that there's a point where he keeps his job. That point will not be the 8. This side could very well make the finals this year, and I would love to see them do so, but we cannot expect it. However, there is certainly a minimum expectation of ten wins, based off last season and general improvement. Disagree with it however much you want, that is almost certainly what the board expects. Any less and Bailey will not stand a chance.

Personally I think he will need to make finals to guarantee himself the job for 2012 when you see the two other coaches who could be taken.

I agree. There is far too much "black and white" vision in this place with regards to this issue.

Bailey, like most of the playing group, is relatively new to this level, so he is still proving his ability and like the players, will experience ups and downs. Now that the players have had a taste of the kind of commitment and effort it takes to inflict a sound thrashing on a team that many were touting as finalists earlier this year, we WILL win a minimum of 10 games (I think 12) and the odds are that we will play finals footy this year.

Judging by the comments coming from both players and admin, Bailey has great support (although I know the same people calling for his head here will claim that is just a public facade), so I see things starting to move ahead. There is no way I would want Roos or Malthouse as coach as I can only see that unsettling our development rather than hastening it. But hey, that's just my opinion and I have about as much of a clue as those who want Bailey gone.

One last thing though... where has it categorically been stated that Roos or Malthouse will be available or that they are even the slightest bit interested? Heresay, rumour and wishful thinking are one thing, but facts are something completely different - so, what are the facts?.

I agree. There is far too much "black and white" vision in this place with regards to this issue.

How can you agree on the basis that there is 'too much "black and white" vision" [...] with regards this issue' when the poster you're agreeing with has set down an absolute minimum number of wins in order for DB to even have a chance at being recontracted?

One last thing though... where has it categorically been stated that Roos or Malthouse will be available or that they are even the slightest bit interested? Heresay, rumour and wishful thinking are one thing, but facts are something completely different - so, what are the facts?.

they are considered to be two of if not the best coaches in the competition, fact

Both are not contracted to be senior coaches next year, fact

Most people here want the MFC to target "the best", fact

How can you agree on the basis that there is 'too much "black and white" vision" [...] with regards this issue' when the poster you're agreeing with has set down an absolute minimum number of wins in order for DB to even have a chance at being recontracted?

No, the poster was stating what is generally considered to be a minimum expectation based around performance improvement; that is not necessarily his opinion. However, he was stating that that did not necessarily translate to not making the finals equating to a fail.

As for Roos and malthouse being uncontracted next year... Roos has quite publicly stated he is not interested in coaching and Malthouse, to the best of my knowledge, has said nothing.

No, the poster was stating what is generally considered to be a minimum expectation based around performance improvement; that is not necessarily his opinion. However, he was stating that that did not necessarily translate to not making the finals equating to a fail.

Just so we're clear:

[...] there is certainly a minimum expectation of ten wins, based off last season and general improvement. Disagree with it however much you want, that is almost certainly what the board expects. Any less and Bailey will not stand a chance.

Sure, there wasn't a black and white statement regarding finals...because the bar was instead set at 10 wins!

The assertion that 'any less and Bailey will not stand a chance' seems like an absolute (black and white) claim to me.

Absolutely. The change in Balance to the side was more than significant.

We were more aggressive, assertive, direct, and spontaneous with one another. From there the game flowed our way. Our win started @ the selection table.

Just so we're clear:

Sure, there wasn't a black and white statement regarding finals...because the bar was instead set at 10 wins!

The assertion that 'any less and Bailey will not stand a chance' seems like an absolute (black and white) claim to me.

I didn't say I wasn't making a black-and-white statement =D

I am, however, basing my argument off both last season's results and what seemed to be media expectations of the club. Yes, while I know we can all get on our high horse about the media (see: West Coast, Gold Coast 0 wins, Hutchy & Melbourne top 4) the bulk of the media were predicting that 10-12 wins bracket for us. Based off last season (8-1-13 inc. 1pt loss to Pies, 4pt loss to Dogs, 10pt loss to Freo) 10 wins is by no means an unreasonable expectation, and for the team to fail to reach that would surely be a poor showing on Bailey's behalf.

Yeah, I was just amused at someone agreeing with you because there was too much "black and white vision" in the posts of others :)

Rogue... that was how I read it... ok? My sincerest apologies :rolleyes:

I dont know if anyone watched the post game today? but Bailey seems motivated... was barely impressed by todays effort mention exactly what you are saying:

ie. last week to this week is un-acceptable, "next week we need to produce the same effort, or very close to this effort, and the next week and the next week and the next week and the next week"

Bailey isnt stupid, he knows what the next half of the seasons holds for him and the team, i would expect more of the same if i was a MFC player this week

I dont think we have read the end of the DB story for some reason

Not sure you have seen ever other DB press conference but I don't recall his demeanor being any different whether we win, lose or draw.

Guest Thomo

I would like to see the MFC recruit a few 25-26y/o Big solid boys before i throw the blame entirely at DB.

The system is almost there, we just cannot sustain it.

We have one senior ruckman, so we recruit an injured player. Whose fault is that?

We have one senior ruckman, so we recruit an injured player. Whose fault is that?

We did try real Hard for Hale, which would have helped.

I got shouted down 2 years ago for wanting Luke Ball....if it was up to me i would have given the kitchen sink and the captaincy to Ball. That is the type of player we need.

The Filth got an absolute Bargain and they know it.

Our kids are good, but they have no hard nosed leadership....particularly when the get a little fatiuged.

Are you talking about Campbell? Beause his achilles injury happened in late January.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/injury-hinders-demon-robert-campbells-return/story-e6frf9mf-1225994523235

Edited by Supermercado