Memo: Barry Prendergast

Range Rover

I doubt Barry gets paid anywhere near that much.

Edit: And even if that were true, do you really believe that someone who earns $200k+ a year has no short term accountability? I don't know what his performance criteria is but there's absolutely no chance that we've got a bloke running around on that kind of salary with nothing whatsoever to answer for. If we do then this club is run by amateurs.

I would say Barry would get at least $200k a year, probably a fair bit more.

News just in. Ready made player makes an impact in first year. Surprise!

Here is a highlight package of Lucas Cook

Notice how he is taller than his opponents? notice how he takes a good contested mark? notice how he is an accurate shot at goal?

Notice that he is quite thin and will need a couple of years in the gym?

Lets not lynch Barry Prendagast just yet.

Isn't that the main bone of contention here? That we didn't go with the ready made? I've not seen a person say a bad thing about Cook as he looks a fine prospect.

We needed a ready made as much water will go under the bridge before Cook is ready, especially going by the development or sometimes lack of with some of our boys.

Not sure this decision would have been entirely BP's in any case. But I believe that a stronger coach, or coaching group would have made an opinion known and perhaps gone for what we needed as a football side.

Not as damn social experiment in the upbringing of fine gentleman.

Don't blame it on the recruiters, the coach give them a breif of what they want to fit in with their gameplan (or just game, no plan). I think that skipping on Luke Mitchell will be a bigger regret.

Maybe, but he was injured which made him slide, "Knee" and is currently on a long term injury list at carlton

Isn't that the main bone of contention here? That we didn't go with the ready made? I've not seen a person say a bad thing about Cook as he looks a fine prospect.

We needed a ready made as much water will go under the bridge before Cook is ready, especially going by the development or sometimes lack of with some of our boys.

Not sure this decision would have been entirely BP's in any case. But I believe that a stronger coach, or coaching group would have made an opinion known and perhaps gone for what we needed as a football side.

Not as damn social experiment in the upbringing of fine gentleman.

In my opinion Darling plays 3-4th tall in the eagles forward line, enter lynch and kennedy and often cox, where would he sit in ours? seemingly ahead of Watts? would get a more key defender than Jurrah, etc, i think thats why he has such an impact, do love the kid though will be a great player, plays as you love them to aswell

News just in. Ready made player makes an impact in first year. Surprise!

Here is a highlight package of Lucas Cook

Notice how he is taller than his opponents? notice how he takes a good contested mark? notice how he is an accurate shot at goal?

Notice that he is quite thin and will need a couple of years in the gym?W

Lets not lynch Barry Prendagast just yet.

great highlight reel, just saw Cook dish out some forward pressure. was reading the magazine that came out with my membership. Watts weighs in at 91kg, for mine needs to get up around the 96kg mark. he is only 20 so this time next year this could be achievable

Gosh how many people on here when it was suggested to go after big bodied key position players cried "best available, best available " meaning midfielders. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I've mentioned this before, we have picked beanpole with 3 of our last 4 first draft selections and our biggest problem is the midfield.

What position was Morton recruited for, was it back, forward or midfield?

Where do we get smashed every week, is it the forward line or the midfield?

We actually do pretty well with the ball when we get it inside 50 at the moment but the trouble is we don't get it in there often enough.

Our midfield is a massive problem and we are recruiting skinny talls; why?

A few things. Every recruiter knew that Darling would do this, he is a ready made forward. The reason he went so low is he is a loose cannon and has a reputation of terrible off field behaviour. If you've noticed Melbourne drafts a certain breed of young men and Martin, like Darling definatly didnt fit into that category. Last year everyone was talking about Scully and Trengove, Martin was the 'other guy'. Now Scully is injured and Trengrove has no midfield around him and Martin has popped up. Let him have his fun. No one would have picked Martin at 2. No one. Not even Richmond.

And for the other examples; Hurley, Fyfe, Hill. They have been good. Just like the 2001 draft of Montanga, Mitchell, Swan, Ablett, Ball, Judd and Hodge they are all good plyers. Will Tapscott be better than Fyfe - we dont know yet. Will Watts be better than Hurley - who knows. We took the players we believed will take us to a premiership and on their 'potential' and Under 18 form. Fyfe didnt fire but Tappy did.

But I ask you this, is Hodge (who went no.1) that much better than Mitchell (who went n.35)? My point is these boys are only 2nd year players (Watts and Blease and in that category). We're going to have to give them one more before we call for their heads.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/6125234/teen-footy-star-caught-in-camp-romp/

Good post

In regards to Liam Jarrah,the story I heard was that Collingwood tried to hide him in the top end of Australia so they could pick him up for not much.Maybe this is why the recruiting department thought he was so good.Not as big a risk if you know Collingwood wanted him.

Collingwood wernt anything special 3 years ago

I think some are forgetting what might become of Cook. Tricky's post sums it up for me. As much as what Darling has shown to date, I can't say he is a good decision maker apart from hitting packs. Cook, from what I've seen makes good decisions and when he fills out soon enough there could well be egg on many faces who are screaming "I told you so."

Fwiw, I liked what I saw in Darling, just like I preferred some others. Namely, Billie Smedts. But I'm not a recruiters bootlace, and I'm prepared to cut the recruiters slack and not come to a conclusion after 5 games in 2011. Lucas Cook may well be just what we need.

Can I ask why you think that?

Are you happy with what we've got after 4 years of pain are you satisfied we have recruited the best available players?

I'm satisfied that at the time of each draft we took who we considered to be the best player. That's all we can ask for. Hence this thread, and all others like it, which are purely about using hindsight to criticise draft picks, is pathetic.

I think some are forgetting what might become of Cook. Tricky's post sums it up for me. As much as what Darling has shown to date, I can't say he is a good decision maker apart from hitting packs. Cook, from what I've seen makes good decisions and when he fills out soon enough there could well be egg on many faces who are screaming "I told you so."

Fwiw, I liked what I saw in Darling, just like I preferred some others. Namely, Billie Smedts. But I'm not a recruiters bootlace, and I'm prepared to cut the recruiters slack and not come to a conclusion after 5 games in 2011. Lucas Cook may well be just what we need.

Lucas Cook and Jeremy Howe were both good picks. We just need the right coach to extract ALL of the talents they have

I'm satisfied that at the time of each draft we took who we considered to be the best player. That's all we can ask for. Hence this thread, and all others like it, which are purely about using hindsight to criticise draft picks, is pathetic.

If someone makes a mistake that's ok if they continually make mistakes then that's another matter. We've drafted some ordinary players over the last few years and that's the fault of the football department. I don't care if other clubs pass up on a player and I get sick of the well 15 other clubs ignored him too, I only care about what we do.

If someone makes a mistake that's ok if they continually make mistakes then that's another matter. We've drafted some ordinary players over the last few years and that's the fault of the football department. I don't care if other clubs pass up on a player and I get sick of the well 15 other clubs ignored him too, I only care about what we do.

You know Robbie i think we recruited very well over the last few years...i just don't think we have ever spent enough on coaches.

Example Aaron Davey. We all know how much Talent he does have, but our club has never demanded that he produce it regularly.

Look at Chris Judd last night, Amazing...but he produces that regularly. Aaron Davey if motivated right could be just as good as Chris Judd, but he has never been pushed hard enough, by either himself or the MFC Football Dept.

But it's not a mistake if you reasonably believe that player is the best available. At the time we picked Watts, for example, there was no debate. He was better than Hurley. But now, with hindsight, people are questioning that call. More incredulously, people are whinging about us not taking Darling like we were idiots. Meanwhile every other club overlooked him too. So it's not like he had massive wraps but we chose not to take him.

My understanding is that if we hadn't taken Cook another club would have taken him long before Darling was even in the picture.

IMO our 09 draft was a bumper and last years draft definitely had a development emphasis on it but wasn't necessarily a poor draft - only time will tell. I must admit though that from this year on it would be nice to get a few more kids who have filled out a little more as they integrate with our current players.

But it's not a mistake if you reasonably believe that player is the best available. At the time we picked Watts, for example, there was no debate. He was better than Hurley. But now, with hindsight, people are questioning that call. More incredulously, people are whinging about us not taking Darling like we were idiots. Meanwhile every other club overlooked him too. So it's not like he had massive wraps but we chose not to take him.

See what i mean, I don't care what other clubs do I care what we do if other clubs make mistakes then that's their problem if we do it's ours.

I'm not suggesting that Hurley is a better player than Watts, I'm suggesting that the club's recruiters should have had a closer look at his mental and physical toughness. The same could be said about Stauss, who we now learn was brought up in very privileged circumstances and may also lack the mental and physical toughness to make it. It seems we recruited Maric because he could kick straight; well you have to get the ball to be able to kick it. Morton has a frame that will never allow him to be big and strong so what position did we recruit him for?

We are not prepared to give someone a chance because he's mucked up a bit but we are prepared to recruit a player that is suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.

Agree with Titan on this one - the entire post feels like a follow-on from the venting that started against the coach and players post Thursday night. Yes, we were Horrible (capital H intended) the other night and I dearly hope we can bounce back against the Crows - but 2011 (so far) is like a reality-tsunami has hit MFC fans, and rather than except the fact that rebuilding is a long process (which really only started last year) we want to point fingers as to why we're not in the top four NOW.

Edited by Gandalf46

See what i mean, I don't care what other clubs do I care what we do if other clubs make mistakes then that's their problem if we do it's ours.

I'm not suggesting that Hurley is a better player than Watts, I'm suggesting that the club's recruiters should have had a closer look at his mental and physical toughness. The same could be said about Stauss, who we now learn was brought up in very privileged circumstances and may also lack the mental and physical toughness to make it. It seems we recruited Maric because he could kick straight; well you have to get the ball to be able to kick it. Morton has a frame that will never allow him to be big and strong so what position did we recruit him for?

We are not prepared to give someone a chance because he's mucked up a bit but we are prepared to recruit a player that is suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.

Is this purely because he attended a "good school" i bet you know very little of james? or am i wrong? also will you ever comment in a positive way on topics i dont recall this?