Suns game in perspective

darkhorse72

After today's result, going back on how we only won by 90 points. The Sun's are improving each week as they should. But unlike Port today, when the suns came at us, we held and powered away...a week later they overrun Port at home at a ground we rarely win at.

I thank Port for two things instead of one:

1) Being the first side to lose to Sun, imagine if it had been us?

2) to erasing our record for the GF losing margin.

After today's result, going back on how we only won by 90 points. The Sun's are improving each week as they should. But unlike Port today, when the suns came at us, we held and powered away...a week later they overrun Port at home at a ground we rarely win at.

Compairing today's game with ours last week is a pointless exercise. Results are largely based on a team's endeavour and motivation on the day.

All this puts into perspective is how dire Port's situation is right now. They are where we were a few years ago. Rudderless.

Compairing today's game with ours last week is a pointless exercise. Results are largely based on a team's endeavour and motivation on the day.

All this puts into perspective is how dire Port's situation is right now. They are where we were a few years ago. Rudderless.

And those who were complaining completely failed to acknowledge the Suns endeavour and motivation against us, especially in that 3rd quarter. They were much better against us than they were against Carlton and they were much better in the last yesterday. They're young and learning to play together as a group but they have a lot of talent and it's going to click for them from time to time.

Last week several posters claimed you couldn't count our last quarter because the young GC team couldn't be expected to run out games. 6 goals to 1 in the last yesterday suggests otherwise

I knew there would be a thread like this as soon as I saw the game. I think arguments like this hold no weight, by this logic you could argue Adelaide should roll us in a couple of weeks as they beat Hawthorn and Hawthorn beat us, then that GC should beat adelaide, as Adelaide were beaten by port adelaide who GC beat, then you could argue the suns should have beaten us as Hawthorn beat us!

The moral of the story is, our victory over GC was as impressive or unimpressive as we thought it was on the day, regardless of other results, anything can happen week in week out as there are 22 highly trained players going out there to do battle. Retrospectively we could conclude some rosy things from the Port Adelaide GC game, but I really think it will all be for nought in terms of our next performance or rest of the season.

The only lesson I'll be taking is that anything can happen in footy...

I thank Port for two things instead of one:

1) Being the first side to lose to Sun, imagine if it had been us?

2) to erasing our record for the GF losing margin.

The Suns team may be better playing down sth,,, whilst they develop their bodies and engines.

In our game in Brisbane, we literally seemed to run thier legs off them. They seemed better late yesterday. Maybe the Power thought the Suns would set, early. But, they didn't, and they had a stung, Ablett Jnr playing footy.

So much for the media experts. A TV/radio (I cann't remember which ) show asked the question which would come first. A Collingwood loss or a suns win. Leigh Matthews stated that the law of averages would suggest sooner or later Coll would lose one, but who knows when the suns will win. It simply took the next weekend. However, who knows the pies might also go down tomorrow.. here's hoping

Yeah, it certainly puts our 'awful' 90 point win in perspective.

No it doesn't. Port are in crisis. Teams don't lose from 40 points up late in the third quarter against 15 teenagers and a superstar.

Nothing can be drawn from our 90-point win. We played really poorly and then poured on eight goals at the end.

I knew there would be a thread like this as soon as I saw the game. I think arguments like this hold no weight, by this logic you could argue Adelaide should roll us in a couple of weeks as they beat Hawthorn and Hawthorn beat us, then that GC should beat adelaide, as Adelaide were beaten by port adelaide who GC beat, then you could argue the suns should have beaten us as Hawthorn beat

this is rubbish and noone as far as I can see is suggesting that at all. People decided we should [censored] the suns based on the Carlton game and to a lesser extent the bulldogs game. Their expectations came from watching those games but the port game is irrelevant because it doesn't fit the script for sticking the boots into the club.

The won't win a game call that was common after we beat them is debunked in a week. Yet people still hold to the absolute nonsense that a 15 goal win was awful. It was awful because of your own preconceived notion that the suns weren't of afl standard. Surely after a win people need to concede their view of the suns may have been wrong

Don't look too much into it. Just be thankful you are a Demons supporter and not a Port supporter. That loss will be a bitter pill to swallow for coach, players and supporters.

They are a plucky bunch of kids - that's what you can draw from their first few games.

And the difference in culture between us and Port - that's what you can draw in a comparison between Port and the Dees.

We were professional and did what we had to do.

Port did not.

this is rubbish and noone as far as I can see is suggesting that at all. People decided we should [censored] the suns based on the Carlton game and to a lesser extent the bulldogs game. Their expectations came from watching those games but the port game is irrelevant because it doesn't fit the script for sticking the boots into the club.

The won't win a game call that was common after we beat them is debunked in a week. Yet people still hold to the absolute nonsense that a 15 goal win was awful. It was awful because of your own preconceived notion that the suns weren't of afl standard. Surely after a win people need to concede their view of the suns may have been wrong

Of course it is rubbish, that was exactly what I was implying. My statement was that I don't think we can draw anything out of the port GC game any more than we can draw anything about Melbourne out of any game played between two other clubs. The reality is that the games Melbourne play are the only indicators for us to draw conclusions on our team. Of course we shouldn't discount other teams endeavour in these games, and sometimes we will simply be outplayed, however the reality is that there were many flaws to Melbourne's game during our win over GC and that most of us here will be hoping to see them corrected in the upcoming weeks, or we may have to start seriously assessing our progress... Regardless of how GC play against other teams. I don't think the suns winning removes any of the worries about our ability at set plays, ability to stop quick transferance of the ball out of our forward line, or our ability to hit targets and work through a zone which we did poorly at many stages in the suns game.

I have no intention to 'stick the boots' into any club, especially my own, also for the record I thought GC would win a game this season, as there are some bad teams out there and I am hugely relieved it wasn't us. However I did not have any assumption in mind going in to the suns game that we would [censored] them like Carlton did or anything of the sort, rather I was hoping to see us execute a lot of things better, some of which we did, some of which we didn't, win lose or draw. Ultimately I want to see us win, or at least play to our ability, which means not rolling over at any stage in the gmae. This does not mean that the GC Port game gives any indications for how our games will be played or how our season will pan out.. for better or worse.

/edit spelling

Edited by deejammin'