Watts v Hurley

Range Rover

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

The 'who would you pick argument' and this kind of talk is not helping. Over look this completely.

For Mark Robinson to write, "It's too early to claim it a draft blunder by the Demons. Just" is simply a stupid bl00dy statement.

Every single club in this land would have taken Jack Watts at # 1 in that draft. In Perth they may have leaned towards Nic if not Jack but certainly not Hurley.

If the argument on output is required, well there isn't one. Hurley has made greater gains and has more strength in the contest right now. Simple.

I'm sick of Jack Watts.

Dermie is surprisingly supportive of Jack but saying he is "less comfortable (with body contact) than Hurley" is a concern.

In other words Dermie is labelling Jack to have softer tendencies than Hurley. Hurley actually thrives on the physicality side of football. Hurley has an appetite for it, Jack doesn't, yet.

Sometimes i think that the criticism of Jack's effectiveness is unfair. Over the past couple of years we have been near the bottom in getting the ball into the forward 50. Despite Jack's lack of toughness at this stage (which is visibly improving), I wonder if any of these articles would be popping up if our midfield was delivering the ball into the forward 50 with greater effectiveness.

Essendon has a much more developed midfield, and is at a different stage of their list development to where we are. Therefore, Hurley should be performing better because there are more effective and mature players around him. So many articles like this, fail to mention the context the player is in.

Jack has shown an ability to do things Hurley can't, just as Hurley has shown an ability to play in ways that Watt's can't just yet. I would still take Watts over Hurley because the skill set that Watt's possesses is superior to Hurley and you can develop toughness and he's got greater potential than Hurley. Give Jack another pre-season and an extra 3 or 4kgs and we should see significant improvement in his contributions. If there isn't, then we have a real problem.

I posted a comment to that story on the hun site.

Hurley a year older, two preseasons more and almost a season ahead in games - what a fair comparison.

Th thing that gets me is the need to microscope players that are in the embryonic stages of their development. Why not wait until they are 22/23 so you can really make a fair judgement

FYI - I am CEO and my ex wife is a doctor and I am horribly disappointed that the my 4 year old who was 4 months premature is so far behind the others kids at kinder at finger painting. If you are going to be the touted Einstein that the family is dead certain you will be you gotta HARDEN UP STEPHANIE.

Stephanie does need to harden up but you know it was really a drafting mistake in the first place and she has no place in senior finger painting at this early stage she needs time in the play doh room.

Face facts, she probabaly will never make it. For finger painting you should have gone for a boy and called him Pablo.

Can we have a thread on Mark Robinson v Caroline Wilson.

Hurley is a man, was drafted to play straight away. Like Rich, Hurley will improve but what you see know will be similar to what you will get for the future.

So if you were to substitute the name Hurley for Tappscott in this statement, would you be any less excited by Tappy? Hurely is already a very good footballer, would love him in our side.

I for one would have prefered Beams and Sidebottom to Blease and Strauss

Supporters like you really grind my gears. It's pretty easy to look good when you have 10 other elite midfielders giving you the ball outside.

Strauss has played two games in an average team and Blease hasn't played a game yet.

Want me to set up a bigfooty account for you?

Jack has shown an ability to do things Hurley can't,

And that would be what? Maybe Watts has a bigger tank; that would be about it.

just as Hurley has shown an ability to play in ways that Watt's can't just yet. I would still take Watts over Hurley because the skill set that Watt's possesses is superior to Hurley and you can develop toughness and he's got greater potential than Hurley. Give Jack another pre-season and an extra 3 or 4kgs and we should see significant improvement in his contributions. If there isn't, then we have a real problem.

IMO, no. You are born with toughness/hardness/desire for a contest, or you are not. Hurley has it, Watts doesn't.

I for one would have prefered Beams and Sidebottom to Blease and Strauss

But I knew well before MFC made Watts no 1 that they would pick him

I just dont see enough aggression or fierceness to believe he will become a super star

He appears (IMO) to lack that natural aggression that is the hallmark of footy stars

So you predicted that Blease would break his leg playing highschool footy?? becuase obviously sidebottom is much better than Blease...you only to have to look at their total games tally...

IMO, no. You are born with toughness/hardness/desire for a contest, or you are not. Hurley has it, Watts doesn't.

Is Brad Green reading this ? Labelled by many in his first 4 or 5 years as soft and now ?

Daisy Thomas - flashy outside player for his first 3 seasons and now tough as nails in and under.

Hurley is more likely to be the better player but Watts has more potential.

I bought into the intrigue of Watts on Queen's Birthday 2009 when a skinny, awkward kid ran onto the field and was immediately crunched by three Magpies. I wouldn't trade him for Hurley. Though if I was a Bomber supporter I wouldn't trade Hurley for Watts.

If we had drafted Hurley I probably would've spent a lot less time on Demonland.

And that would be what? Maybe Watts has a bigger tank; that would be about it.

Watts is clearly superior by foot and by hand. The issue is that he doesn't get enough of the ball to demonstrate this. He also has the bigger tank, and better agility than Hurley. In reality i think Jack has a more diverse skill set than Hurley, while Hurley is more effective at utilising his core skills.

IMO toughness can be developed because it's mostly got to do with mental state. Jack has grown up primarily playing basketball where you use your agility to out manoeuvre players. He has not been exposed to the same type of training that Hurley had growing up, as he did not spend the same amount of Hurley in the TAC Cup System. Had Jack spent as much time in the system as Hurley I think Jack would be much more advanced physically than he is currently, and probably more effective as well.

People are not born tough, their environment shapes them to become that way.

Does it matter? It's not like the AFL is going to let us have a second go at it.

Just a bit of fun and food for thought, like most forum topics.

You needed Brereton to tell you ?

No, but I think his opinions on what it takes to make it as a CHF are worth listening to.

In other words Dermie is labelling Jack to have softer tendencies than Hurley. Hurley actually thrives on the physicality side of football. Hurley has an appetite for it, Jack doesn't, yet.

Surely this "thriving on physical contact" quality, or lack thereof, would have been noticed by our recruiting staff when assessing Watts? Odd thing to ignore don't you think?

So if you were to substitute the name Hurley for Tappscott in this statement, would you be any less excited by Tappy? Hurely is already a very good footballer, would love him in our side.

Yep and give Taspcott the same amount of AFL games as Hurley and we will have a very good footballer. Hurley is a good footballer, hopefully Tapscott will continue on but I still think Watts has a bigger upside than Hurley. I would also love Hurley, along with Rich and a few others from that draft but we picked who we picked and hopefully Watts will continue to improve and in three years we are talking about a star of the competition no just a good player.

Guest hangon007

Who cares its all media [censored]. We got Watts they got Hurley nothing is going to change that.

Now its up to our development team to get the best out of Jack. Time is still on our side.

Patience is a virtue.

Go Jack Go Demons

However, I sure if you go to Bomberblitz it might make interesting reading.

Surely this "thriving on physical contact" quality, or lack thereof, would have been noticed by our recruiting staff when assessing Watts? Odd thing to ignore don't you think?

He was playing against boys, as a boy.

And he was a standout.

Who is to say that when he has the body of a man he won't step up and be a standout again?

And he was a standout.

Who is to say that when he has the body of a man he won't step up and be a standout again?

Considering 98.76% of the people think Watts is a flat out dud after 21 games and 1 preseason. (Watts is averaging 0.3 goals a game less than Hurley)..

People will change their minds once there is decent delivery into the 50.

Stephanie does need to harden up but you know it was really a drafting mistake in the first place and she has no place in senior finger painting at this early stage she needs time in the play doh room.

Face facts, she probabaly will never make it. For finger painting you should have gone for a boy and called him Pablo.

Can we have a thread on Mark Robinson v Caroline Wilson.

What about Craig? Hutchy got smoother skin than Robbo, but that hole on his head, whoa. Robbo what can you say that he already hasn't???

Caro, protecting Jack Riewoldt at the expense of Brendon. Com'on Caro, lets see you on camers standing up, not hiding behind (pardon the pun) any objects.

E,d,,, e,nuff, nuff said. Just keeps on sniffin, round 'n' round... wher he'll stop nobody's Nose.

And he was a standout.

I think this whole mans body/boy's body argument is a bit overblown.

Watts is a marginal 3 cms taller and just 1 kg lighter than Hurley.