Port Melbourne v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

If I get suspended for this, so be it... but would you please STFU about Grimes?

You are dribbling complete and utter crap about him at every opportunity and it's boring. Move on, you have no idea what you are talking about!

Nice to see Newton actually pressing his case for selection this year, especially by standing up when the team is down.

I still think VFL is his right level, but no doubt we'll see him get his chance to prove me wrong at some point this year.

And on that note, it's time for some drinks.

Got your drift -and seeing some of you can't see the light -I'll drop of my slingin at Grimes. I hope he puts in a stunner tomorrow.And may I ask what does STFU mean?

Does it mean Shut the ---- up. However, I do sincerely agree re Newton.Hope he can do a Jamar.

Edited by jayceebee31

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the juice be the power forward we are looking for?

I bet he would like to have a go on K Hunt next week......actually i bet most of the Melbourne forward line would like to line up against the kids and mercenaries of the Suns.

Especially that C brown might be out for a few weeks for his sins today

1/ No.

He needs space to roam. He's a mobile forward who plays TALL, from the 10Mtr box to the back egde of the centre square. And a stint in the ruck.. he needs to be able to roam around.

Plonk him deep under the long bombs and we'll set him up for failure.

Could the juice be the power forward we are looking for?

I bet he would like to have a go on K Hunt next week......actually i bet most of the Melbourne forward line would like to line up against the kids and mercenaries of the Suns.

Especially that C brown might be out for a few weeks for his sins today

I would buy a T-shirt with that on it to wear at Melbourne games.

Great to hear Maric bounced back strongly. Despite a poor performance and playing as a sub I think he was unlucky to be dropped. I think there is room for him and Wona in the same side and I hope he can get back in. Same goes for Jetta, but I think Jetta needs increased fitness until he'll really cement himself at AFL level.

Sounds like Juice is on fire and Petterd is just a bit off boil but should be back soon.

Joel Macdonald is ticking over nicely ala Warnock.

Let's hope Strauss and Blease can lift soon. I heard Strauss was ok last week, and even this week turned a shocking first half into something we can work with. I want to hear how he's defending is going, I've heard he's stepped it up a notch but is now struggling for confidence to get and use the ball.

Good on Tom McDonald for keeping his form up. I don't expect to see him unless things go wrong this year, but a good first season in the VFL can often mean a player has settled in well and will make it one day.

"Great to hear Maric bounced back strongly" Yep. Showed some ticker. Still needs to lift his game, but is showing he cares. It's time to start taring into the VFL level.

"Sounds like Juice is on fire and Petterd is just a bit off boil but should be back soon." I wouldn't call it onfire Re juice, (BUDDY is on fire) rather I would say that Juice is playing a solid brand of footy, to his standard.. Believing in himself. Maturing.... Petterd needs fitness I think.

"Let's hope Strauss and Blease can lift soon" I don'think either will be raedy this year, other than a cameo, here and there.

"Good on Tom McDonald for keeping his form up." looks like a fine young fella, and a fine choice. Not ready for AFL. But a likly type.

Guest watts04

Strauss is on a 2 year contract, the FD see sthing I dont

Jettas pace is a problem, where will he nail down a possie? Like his aggressive side but pace and endurance are problems

Joel Maca will be gone at end of year, we need to be ruthless and keep the youngsters and give them opportunities. Joel Mac wouldnt get a game in anyones premiership team

Newton is a spud, has kicked many goals in the VFL before and never done anything at AFL - whats the change now? Just his age and "maturity"?

People are kiddin themselves who call for him to be promoted

Lookin forward to Gys today - bng!

My article on the game should be on the site shortly but may be delayed as it has been decided to merge the Demons and Scorpions boards so that all Casey related material will now appear here.

I have however, compiled my How the Demons fared as follows:

Matthew Bate (10 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 2 goals) - was virtually unsighted in the first half and struggled to get into the game but did play a part in Casey's resurgence in the third quarter. He passed to James Wall for a goal and then kicked two himself. Worked hard after that but seems to be lacking in confidence.

Sam Blease (6 kicks, 1 handball, 1 mark) - at times he was brilliant but he was not consistently so. Played wing and half back and gave a lot of run but he needs to work even harder if he wants to make the big time.

Lucas Cook (5 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks) - rangy forward who has talent and took a couple of nice marks but is very much in the early stages of his football development.

Michael Evans (12 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks) - a real prospect in the midfield. Has pace and football smarts and is very constructive.

Max Gawn (2 kicks, 8 handballs, 0 marks) - started slowly but worked his way into the game with some clever ruckwork, strong marking and clever around the ground play. However, ruckmen take time and he requires patience.

Neville Jetta (11 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks) - worked hard but was frustrated early and then recovered to finish the game strongly. Was responsible for many forward pushes at crucial stages in his team's comeback.

Kelvin Lawrence (4 kicks, 5 handballs, 1 mark) - looked all at sea in the first half and at times was easily brushed aside. To his credit, he lifted with the team's increase in tempo from halfway through the third quarter.

Joel Macdonald (5 kicks, 15 handballs, 1 mark) - was good for Casey throughout the game, probably the only consistent performer over four quarters.

Tom McDonald (7 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks) - played well in a key defensive post and really showed great maturity for one so recently out of under 18 ranks.

Addam Maric (14 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 3 goals) - kicked three goals and was particularly influential after half time. He appeared to have been decked behind the play and then won the free after a scuffle with his opponent. He lifted after that and finished high among his team's best.

Michael Newton (15 kicks, 0 handballs, 7 marks, 6 goals) - kicked six goals and had a near miss late in the game. Marked strongly but also did the hard things like chasing and tackling and was stiff to be penalised 50 metres for a marginally late attempt to spoil a Port Melbourne mark.

Dan Nicholson (10 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks) - like Evans, he showed a bit. Has pace and balance and is prepared to run and carry.

Ricky Petterd (14 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks) - it was a bit of a surprise to see him out there as it was thought he would be the emergency for Melbourne. It was a pretty flaky performance in which he went from producing the spectacular to periods when he seemed to disappear from sight. Won't get a promotion on that effort.

James Strauss (11kicks, 1 handball, 5 marks) - couldn't put a foot right early in the game but worked hard to set things right. Unfortunately, it's not happening for him at the moment.

Jake Spencer (3 kicks, 7 handballs, 1 mark) - worked hard in the ruck contests and had his moments around the ground.

I arrived for the reserves game during the third quarter and Tom McNamara looked the best of the three Demons on the ground although both Jack Fitzpatrick and Jeremy Howe made contributions. Brendan Fevola made the most of limited opportunities at full forward and, on football ability, will be an asset to the Scorpion line up.

I've also been informed that Troy Davis played well in the first half on return from a thyroid problem.

Sam Blease - at times he was brilliant but he was not consistently so. Played wing and half back and gave a lot of run but he needs to work even harder if he wants to make the big time.

Think you are way overselling Blease. Defensively he was beaten in nearly every contest, at one point there was a loose ball on the ground it took him 15 efforts to pick it up!! He looked very sloppy, bar the one 2 bounce run through the middle of the ground, he was for mine almost one of Melbourne's worst!

Juice is only 24. I say down with the haters. If he's playing better than Watts... he deserves the spot up forward. Let's make players earn spots due to form not previous years or draft pick position.

Strauss started poorly but his kicking in the second half along with Joel Mc's was what got us back in the game. You're right the drop of the ball isn't going his way at the minute but the class is evident 95% of the time.

Maric.

Please for the love of god, pass the football. You don't have to do everything yourself son!

End rant.

Blease and Strauss are being educated to play the game in the current styles and both have had their setbacks in the past in terms of injuries. They're not ready yet and won't find it easy to break into the Melbourne team for a while yet. I find the criticism of Blease yesterday a tad harsh. The whole team was under pressure early and Port could not put a foot wrong.

I can't see Newton replacing Martin unless the latter drops considerably in form. However, if the selectors were even contemplating such a move, why play him exclusively as a key forward? He has kicked 11 goals in consecutive weeks and is the elevated rookie. If we fail today in a key forward position then why not reward him with an opportunity?

The first thing to note when analysing a VFL game is that the games are played at old fashioned suburban grounds so wind is much more of a factor and can play havoc with disposal efficiency. This was the case at Port on Saturday. The ground itself seemed to have had truckloads of sand dumped on it which made judging the bounce of the ball a difficult task. And of course being at Port the burger was fantastic.

Casey got off to a shocking start. Port scored 4 of their first 6 goals from frees or 50s though Dees players were not at fault in the 3 I can recall. From there it proceeded in almost a cliched way for a game between an aligned club and a standalone club with the standalone club not being able to match the higher fitness levels of most of the AFL listed players of the aligned club. Of course like in any game if you get as far behind as Casey did then its a long way back.

Maric and Jetta: I have grouped them because both showed that at VFL Level that they can find the ball but both need to improve their decision making when in possession. Maric bombed long into a flukey wind from Centre Half Forward when he had Strauss who had run hard to get into space on the 50 on the flank. He also had Newton clear on a hard lead at around 40 metres but bombed long to contest. Both also tend to hang on to the all for too long.

Joel Macdonald: A very good VFL player but has been found wanting at AFL Level.

Sam Blease: Last year was really just about Blease making it back on to the field. This year is about Blease establishing himself as a consistent VFL player and hopefully getting a run with the Dees at some stage. He certainly showed that post injury he still has his pace and that he can use the ball well at the end of a run. Pressed the turbo and had 2 or 3 bounces frm half back intot the corridor and hit up Cook beautifully. Should improve as he gets conitnuity in his football. Re the comment about Blease fumbling he was not the only player to struggle with the bounce of the ball on the sand infused surface.

Evans and Nicholson. Impressive. Both have enough pace in their first 4 or 5 steps to buy them some time and space when they take possession. Run to good spots and use the ball well and can go in to the centre square.

Strauss: Had a few shocking kick ins though the wind was a factor at that end. Got better as the game went on. Runs the lines well and generally uses it well - which is of course why the Dees coaching staff are keen to out some senior games in to him this year to aid his development. Is improving in the contest and getting more confident and involved in the game.

Matthew Bate: At the crossroads. Should really be dominating at this level but struggled to have an impact for alot of the game. The same problems that plague him at AFL level were evident. Dropped marks he really needs to take and is very slow from hand to foot when kicking.

Ricky Pettard: Struggled up forward early but improved when shifted up the field and took some strong marks.

Spencer and Gawn: Overshadowed early but both improved as the game went on. Both are still works in progress and with the sub rule will be allowed to develop whilst Jamar plays as the Nm 1 Ruck. Gawn needs a few more kilos but inpressed in the ruck and also with this poise in general play.

Kelvin Lawrence: Unsighted early but improved a little as the game progresses. Has a nice first touch.

Tom McDonald: Much like our former Captain and namesake he looks like the kind of player who will always leave it all on the park. Needs to work on his disposal but competes well in the air and rebounds pretty well too.

Newton: Dominates at this level. Leads well, applies defensive pressure and converts. A player Dees fans love to hate but his form will demand selection at some point as a Full Forward who can take a turn on the ball as a Follower. A make or break year for him.

Edited by demoniac

Guest DeesPower

Two out of three ain't bad.

Bate was terrible today - couldn't get into it until the middle of the third but showed nothing to suggest he should be promoted. Petterd played with his usual courage but wasn't that effective I didn't think.

I'd like to think Juice has improved but I wouldn't put him in against the Suns. He'd rip them one, but so will Dunn and Watts. Newton for a later game where his performance can be measured. Maric was very good and Jetta really has a go. T. McDonald is miles away and Joel McDonald just turns it over in ordinary situations.

Gawn is also miles away but I liked what I saw. Spencer was good I thought. I want to believe in Strauss but he doesn't make it easy and Blease is just going.

I think the kids are in the Casey team because they are kids. I can't see anyone in that team coming into the seniors and making any sort of impact other than Juice and I'm not putting any faith in that.

I think Pettard when he is playing well is definitely in our first 22, but he needs to show more chase, and match up when he has to. Won't be promoted until he shows that at Casey. Will also need to kick some bags of goals to get back.

Newton deserves a crack, why bother putting him on the list?

Probably as a second ruck option, but Martin's playing well enough in that role to hold his spot IMO.

(I do think Newton could be picked as a forward, but I think we 'bothered putting him on the list' as a second ruck option).

Probably as a second ruck option, but Martin's playing well enough in that role to hold his spot IMO.

(I do think Newton could be picked as a forward, but I think we 'bothered putting him on the list' as a second ruck option).

C'mon, we didn't keep him because he can be a backup 'Ruck'. thats too limited to keep him.

Rather he has the ability, with further (as of october last year), improvement and self belief.

He has the ability to be usefull in the ruck as a follower,,, up forward,,, and can go back to help as well. He is a versatile type, so If he keeps improving, coulld be handy.

C'mon, we didn't keep him because he can be a backup 'Ruck'. thats too limited to keep him.

Rather he has the ability, with further (as of october last year), improvement and self belief.

He has the ability to be usefull in the ruck as a follower,,, up forward,,, and can go back to help as well. He is a versatile type, so If he keeps improving, coulld be handy.

I disagree.

I don't think we would have kept him had he not showed the ability to compete in the ruck at VFL level last year.

Given that there was going to be a need for a mobile ruckman and nobody standing out for the position, I'd say they decided to hedge their bets and keep Martin and Newton in the expectation (/hope) that one would step up - that's what I'd have done, anyway. In fact, had Newton not been injured in the leadup to the season, I'd probably have had him in Martin's spot in round 1.