Jack Darling

s-t-i-n-g-a

It's obviously a tad early to really draw any conclusions from last years draft...and I liked what a saw from Cook in the NAB....

But I can't help but think we may have missed an opportunity to land a big bodied forward by not drafting Darling. He is the type of player our forward structure seems to be missing.

I realise there were some concerns regarding him come draft day and it seems most clubs had those concerns given how far he drifted in the draft so I agree with the clubs decision to pass on him...but I just wonder if we will rue that decision in years to come...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your judging them on what they can do for us today, then Darling is the better choice. But longer term Cook will have it all over him. He's got the height and the frame so he should end up bigger and stronger. He has a magnificent kick on him and he hasn't got issues going on in his head. Darling will be good. Cook will be better.

It's obviously a tad early to really draw any conclusions from last years draft...and I liked what a saw from Cook in the NAB....

But I can't help but think we may have missed an opportunity to land a big bodied forward by not drafting Darling. He is the type of player our forward structure seems to be missing.

I realise there were some concerns regarding him come draft day and it seems most clubs had those concerns given how far he drifted in the draft so I agree with the clubs decision to pass on him...but I just wonder if we will rue that decision in years to come...

I thought we would take either Darling or Atley and was stunned when we passed on both. The stories coming out late said we were cooling off on Darling (that's if we ever even considered him) and that surprised me I reckon he will be a very good footballer and will play in multiple positions, Cook is struggling at Casey according to the coach's report and was supposedly almost in tears after one training session. Another report on Cook said he was struggling to kick a goal from less than 50mtrs out at training.

Midfielders and big bodied forwards win games but as I said in another post 3 of our last 4 first selections have been beanpole talls.

I am starting to get the feeling we have a plan of drafting athletic versatile types, whilst overlooking anyone with a slight query of character, speed or athleticism.

I would love a Hurley or Darling type in our forward line, but fear we may have more of the Westoff types.

Early days and hindsight etc, but I suggest he is a type of forward we need: talent and hardness.

How his character turns out, only time will tell.

And you are correct- after 2 games you cannot make any form of logical assessment and there IS a reason 15 other clubs bypassed him...

Also:

Darling- 191cm 87 kilos.

Hurley- 193cm 92 kilos.

Melbourne drafted two All Australian Centre Half Forwards and two other big lumps of lads. What more did you want?

Cook- 196cm 81 kilos

Watts- 196cm 91 kilos

Fitzpatrick- 200cm 93kilos

McDonald- 194cm 88 kilos

They will only get bigger too.......

Take a break buddy and look at the situation logically before posting like that again...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post doesn't make sense either Jerry-

"I am starting to get the feeling we have a plan of drafting athletic versatile types"- yes

"whilst overlooking anyone with a slight query of character, speed or athleticism."

How can we be drafting versatile, quick athletic blokes on one hand but then be overlooking them on the other???

Edited by Grandson of a gun

191cm he's not that big.

Agreed- however plenty of top forwards were shorter than him.Garland is the same size but nowhere near the body shape of Darling. Darling also has a reputation of being not only extremely determined- but goes after the hard ball with complete desperation. Whilst Jurrah shows some similar traits no one else has this great desire.

He has looked pretty good the West Coast in their two wins....

Did we make a mistake in our selections? Oh it's way, way, way (repeat) too early to tell.

But Jack Darling has started his career nicely.

And you are correct- after 2 games you cannot make any form of logical assessment and there IS a reason 15 other clubs bypassed him...

Also:

Darling- 191cm 87 kilos.

Hurley- 193cm 92 kilos.

Melbourne drafted two All Australian Centre Half Forwards and two other big lumps of lads. What more did you want?

Cook- 196cm 81 kilos

Watts- 196cm 91 kilos

Fitzpatrick- 200cm 93kilos

McDonald- 194cm 88 kilos

They will only get bigger too.......

Take a break buddy and look at the situation logically before posting like that again...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post doesn't make sense either Jerry-

"I am starting to get the feeling we have a plan of drafting athletic versatile types"- yes

"whilst overlooking anyone with a slight query of character, speed or athleticism."

How can we be drafting versatile, quick athletic blokes on one hand but then be overlooking them on the other???

pfft your kidding yourself mate if you think fitzpatrick and mcdonald are big lump of lads. still both skinny as a rake..

should have went for darling, plays alot like david neitz the way he crashes packs and leads at full pace. reports are he is starting to knuckle down and is taking his footy very serious. only time will tell but atm bit disappointed we didn't take darling

This thread is laughable. Every club including West Coast overlooked him at least once. That is no fluke. People on this forum have been crying for years about the number of 192cm forwards we have. The club drafts two genuine KPFs and now you want a 191cm forward? Nice one.

This thread is laughable. Every club including West Coast overlooked him at least once. That is no fluke. People on this forum have been crying for years about the number of 192cm forwards we have. The club drafts two genuine KPFs and now you want a 191cm forward? Nice one.

I don't care if the player is 191 or 195 to be honest. I'd just like someone who attacks the footy like his life depends on it.

I see that quality in Darling.

and was supposedly almost in tears after one training session.

What does "almost in tears" mean? You're either in tears or you're not. "Almost in tears" sounds to me like someone saw him with his head in his hands (or something) and wanted to make a bigger deal out of it than what it was.

And even if he did cry, so what? People cry all the time, sometimes in pain, sometimes out of frustration, sometimes out of anger, it's just an emotional response. Oh I forgot - real men don't cry. Sorry about that.

Anyway, to take a leaf out of e25's book, I'm going to call this thread poo. Not because of the OP, but because of the insinuations it has triggered that Cook doesn't look any good. I know the response to this will be "but I didn't say that" rah rah, but it's clear that's what some are saying. That is extremely frustrating considering he's about 0.1% in to his career.

I don't care if the player is 191 or 195 to be honest. I'd just like someone who attacks the footy like his life depends on it.

I see that quality in Darling.

Well maybe you and all the other experts on here can become AFL recruiters, because apparently none of them have any idea.

I'm not saying he is useless or may not turn out a decent player, but I get tired of hindsight forum experts taking pot shots at our recruiters. We could draft Jesus Christ and half of this forum would prefer player X because they may show attribute Y in their first few games.

compltely agree with you range rover. this bloke crashes packs like he is made of steel and splits em too! for a bloke who is 18 he has an impressive physique. he will grow to about 193 or 194. this kid is all class. luke shuey picked up a rising star nomination this week another player we passed on for james strauss and sam blease..

191cm he's not that big.

I am not entering the debate about Darling or Cook, but just pointing out what you said.

It is the effectiveness of the player and the role he plays, not the height. A few centimeters means nothing if he can't use that to his advantage.

Well maybe you and all the other experts on here can become AFL recruiters, because apparently none of them have any idea.

I'm not saying he is useless or may not turn out a decent player, but I get tired of hindsight forum experts taking pot shots at our recruiters. We could draft Jesus Christ and half of this forum would prefer player X because they may show attribute Y in their first few games.

Recruiters, like anyone else involved in the football club, deserve praise when they get it right and criticism when they get it wrong.

If anything, they get off very lightly in terms of scrutiny and seem to just get a free pass for four or five years while we wait for their picks to 'develop'. What a gig!

Absolutely with you on this one.

Recruiters, like anyone else involved in the football club, deserve praise when they get it right and criticism when they get it wrong.

If anything, they get off very lightly in terms of scrutiny and seem to just get a free pass for four or five years while we wait for their picks to 'develop'. What a gig!

Are you suggesting, that we got it wrong? That you can conclude from Darling's two games and Cook's zero games, that Darling is the better player and thus our recruiters deserve criticism? Because that is exactly the attitude I was condemning.

As for your second remark. Do you know why recruiters get a "free pass" for four or five years? Because you can't make an informed analysis before then!

Edited by Stylus