SUMMER SIZZLERS

alpha33

Article from the Sunday HUN looks at all of the AFL teams as they go through the pre season - SUMMER SIZZLERS

MELBOURNE

NAB Cup: Round 1 v Adelaide (7.45pm); v Port Adelaide (8.50pm) at AAMI Stadium, on Friday, February 11.

AFL flag odds: $26

In rehab: James Frawley (chest, 3 months), Robbie Campbell (achilles, 2 weeks).

Tearing up the track: Tom Scully and Jack Trengove didn't need the rocket Richmond's Dustin Margin received about his body shape. The two Dees are in impeccable nick.

Career at the crossroads: Austin Wonaeamirri needs a big year after missing the past two because of injury. The death of his father, Matthew, and idol Maurice Rioli were tragic losses over summer.

NAB Cup smoky: There is a spot there for Addam Maric, 20, if he can deliver in the pre-season. The livewire second-round draft pick knows where the goals are.

Muscled up: Cale Morton is no longer the skinny-looking wingman after piling on 6kg over summer.

On most of us an extra 6kg's would really fatten us up. On Cale, he might not look very different!

A subtle sign for us that things are changing in regards to our profile as a club:

The Hun website on their link to the above-mentioned article, has a thumbnail picture of Scully.

At a time when they could select a Colligwood player, or a Hodge, Ablett, Selwood or Judd... they choose a demon.

Subtle, but it still made me smile.

So Morton has put on 6kgs? Great news. Hopefully he body (and mind) will be right so he can live up to the hype that surrounded him when he was drafted. Gary Lyon still gushes over him, so he has got the goods.

Hopefully the 6kgs doesn't slow him, i doubt it would.

Morton can already take genuine contested overhead grabs, we've seen about a dozen of them. If he bulks up he could easily play key position for mine, he is a lovely set shot also

Would be a very handy key position type at either end of the ground if he ever got that far, but only time will tell if he can.

My gut feel is he needs that ability for some key position work to go to the next level and become a true A grade player who influences matches. Expectations would be for he and Watts to present more this year for some contested marking. Too often our long kicks to the forward line have to be contested by Green, Dunn, Petterd, Jurrah so it would be good if someone with height and size could at least present and create a real crumb for a growing fleet of runners and those mentioned above.

They must have missed the eight games Wonaeamirri played last year.

[/quote

I must have too.

I only saw 3- 4 games that showed he deserved his spot.

I agree I think he needs a big year as there are a lot of players looking for a spot in the 22

and his spot is far from a certainty.

Edited by old dee

Morton can already take genuine contested overhead grabs, we've seen about a dozen of them. If he bulks up he could easily play key position for mine, he is a lovely set shot also

What? When have you seen cale use his body to out position an opponent? Let alone jump into someone?

I've not seen any sign of Cale showing some if any aggression.

It woud be a Nice surprise if he put on 500 grams of ticker.

I must have too.

I only saw 3- 4 games that showed he deserved his spot.

I agree I think he needs a big year as there are a lot of players looking for a spot in the 22

and his spot is far from a certainty.

I agree 100% with that, but it's almost as farcical a comment by the paper as when they said John Meesen would miss the NAB Cup. At least that was factual in its own sick way.

Strength was his weakness lol. That sounds funny.

but seriously he so needed a big summer in the Gym. So its good news, Because he is a talent.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.