• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ashley Hansen

Range Rover

It's the dawning of a new era in the AFL isn't it? The romantic notions of club loyalty and being looked after which years ago rang true at least some of the time, are now long gone. Clubs now NEED to win a premiership for the sake of their longevity, so things are happening that may not seem fair, just ask Junior, Robbo, Yze, Whitey...

FMD!

It's amazing how people massage a topic to suit their own agenda...

We didn't break a contract, and we didn't wait until after a draft in which they could have found a new home.

And don't give me the "I was not making an equivalency, I was just pointing out how footy is changing" rubbish.

What the Eagles did to Hansen will be rotten in 2030.

Poor planning will still have its victims in this 'new era,' as it has for all time.

Edited by rpfc

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FMD!

It's amazing how people massage a topic to suit their own agenda...

We didn't break a contract, and we didn't wait until after a draft in which they could have found a new home.

And don't give me the "I was not making an equivalency, I was just pointing out how footy is changing" rubbish.

What the Eagles did to Hansen will be rotten in 2030.

Poor planning will still have its victims in this 'new era,' as it has for all time.

Haha how ironic that you would say that when you're doing the exact same thing in your reply... ohhhh the irony...

Where did I say I agree with what the Eagles did? I don't like what happened to Hansen, I think the decision was fine but the timing poor.

I was genuinely bemused that someone who's obviously keen enough to post on a footy forum could honestly believe that we'd take an injury prone, one dimensional, forward that's been cut by the wooden spoon team when we've just jettisoned our very own 'not quite right' 27 year old forward in Brad Miller.

That said, I do apologise. Your stupidity briefly got the better of me.

Play the ball not the man mate.

Lets try to keep it civil.

I think you've missed the point.

WC should have made a decision on Hansen well before the ND to give him the best opportunity to find another club. By delisting him now he doesn't have the option of going on the majority of clubs PL.

That stinks.

Sorry Peanuts. I get the point very clearly but I wasn't addressing WCE's conduct on the matter. Simply pointing out that the delisting of the player makes it economically viable for clubs to pick him up as a mature age rookie at bargain basement cost. That option wasn't available in the trades and, based on the small number of players picked up in last week's draft it wouldn't have made one iota of difference. I doubt he would have made anyone's PL and IMO, he would have still been in limboland one way or the other.

As for WCE's conduct, I don't know enough about what was discussed between them and Hansen but, yes it looks unsavoury on the face of it. Unfortunately, football's a business now and that's how a lot of people behave in the business world. I don't condone that sort of conduct at all.

My link

A 'sick joke' huh?

Eat. My. Shorts.

Can you point me to the part of the article that quotes or even references an MFC source? I notice the word 'likely' and we were mentioned only because we went after Hale. It looks to me like this journo has made it all up. If we wanted a player of Hansen's type, we would have kept Brad Miller. You can keep your shorts.

With respect I think you miss the point entirely.

You said "To the contrary Nasher. I believe that by delisting Hansen in the way they've done, the Eagles have given him the best possible opportunity to advance his career"

How could he have been given "the best possible opportunity to advance his career" by being delisted after the ND??

It really doesn't matter whether you think he would have been picked up and put on a teams PL or not, it's irrelevant whether other players got picked up. The reality is he didn't get the "best possible chance".

The option for a club to put him on the rookie list is unchanged whether he'd been delisted before the ND or not.

He didn't get the best opportunity - end of story.

"Simply pointing out that the delisting of the player makes it economically viable for clubs to pick him up as a mature age rookie at bargain basement cost. That option wasn't available in the trades" - WJ

= best possible chance.

Edited by Grimes to Watts

With respect I think you miss the point entirely.

You said "To the contrary Nasher. I believe that by delisting Hansen in the way they've done, the Eagles have given him the best possible opportunity to advance his career"

How could he have been given "the best possible opportunity to advance his career" by being delisted after the ND??

It really doesn't matter whether you think he would have been picked up and put on a teams PL or not, it's irrelevant whether other players got picked up. The reality is he didn't get the "best possible chance".

The option for a club to put him on the rookie list is unchanged whether he'd been delisted before the ND or not.

He didn't get the best opportunity - end of story.

Please yourself. Now we're talking about a different subject altogether but that's OK.

I don't play games with semantics but to reiterate IMO he had absolutely no chance of being picked up in a trade or in the National Draft so the chance that's presented to him now is the best possible chance he had of being drafted (albeit not by design on the part of WCE). Any club that would have contemplated drafting him other than as a mature age rookie and without the baggage of his existing contract should have its head read. His only opportunity IMO is in the rookie draft which happens next month and that is where his only realistic hope of renewing his career lies.

Haha how ironic that you would say that when you're doing the exact same thing in your reply... ohhhh the irony...

Where did I say I agree with what the Eagles did? I don't like what happened to Hansen, I think the decision was fine but the timing poor.

What the hell are you talking about?

You are making a false equivalency between breaking contracts and poor planning to our situation with White, Yze, et al.

Where's the disconnect?

Can you point me to the part of the article that quotes or even references an MFC source? I notice the word 'likely' and we were mentioned only because we went after Hale. It looks to me like this journo has made it all up. If we wanted a player of Hansen's type, we would have kept Brad Miller. You can keep your shorts.

No I can't because Gullan doesn't name his sources. Journalists often don't. Nevertheless, it's clear from the article that Hansen's name came up (around the bar at the very least) with several club officials during the weekend after the draft up on the Gold Coast. Doesn't matter if the discussions were serious or not, the fact is the player was being talked about by people who probably know their footy a little bit better than most of us.

I think, therefore, that the topic is worthy of discussion in this hallowed forum, however brilliant we think our football minds might be. Three pages of thread would attest to that.

And that was my point re the 'East My Shorts' line. It's too easy, lazy even, to shout someone down. It's a cop-out for people who can't debate.

Edited by Range Rover Realism

There is NO logical reason to even consider him. Its inventive journalism at best and p!ss poor at worst.

Lets see. Draft over, nothig much happening, lets make up sh!t !!

Bit like the new Old Spice ad. Look at me ( MFC ) look at him -Hansen , now look back at me ( MFC ) Hes not me !!

end of story

Please yourself. Now we're talking about a different subject altogether but that's OK.

I don't play games with semantics but to reiterate IMO he had absolutely no chance of being picked up in a trade or in the National Draft so the chance that's presented to him now is the best possible chance he had of being drafted (albeit not by design on the part of WCE). Any club that would have contemplated drafting him other than as a mature age rookie and without the baggage of his existing contract should have its head read. His only opportunity IMO is in the rookie draft which happens next month and that is where his only realistic hope of renewing his career lies.

If they'd delisted him before the ND, he'd still have the same opportunity he has now, with the additional the chance in the ND. Whether you think it likely or not that he'd be picked up is completely irrelevant - he was not given the opportunity to find out.

Our FD has been linked to crap players before in the media, but it has never come to fruition.

Our FD is very single minded about our strategy moving forward.

Going for Hansen would be a complete 180 degree turn on the direction the club has been taking thus far. We've delisted Robbo and Miller and they are both better players than Hansen.

Hansen is a crap player, never was a particularly good player, and I will be completely stunned if we even seriously consider him.

How did the concept of accepting mediocrity come into the equation?

I assume your kidding, but I'm geniunely confused!

Every time our name is mentioned in the papers, for whatever reason, it is a good thing.

How did the concept of accepting mediocrity come into the equation?

I assume your kidding, but I'm geniunely confused!

Every time our name is mentioned in the papers, for whatever reason, it is a good thing.

I thought that you of all people would get the joke.

You're just saying that all publicity is good publicity, but I for one would not like to have our name associated with sex romps, drunk scandals or Ashley Hansen.

In debating it's unwise to accuse people of missing the point and then changing the point at their next exchange.

Better to be consistent and stick to the point :).

3 points to the Affirmative, or is that the Negative.

If they'd delisted him before the ND, he'd still have the same opportunity he has now, with the additional the chance in the ND. Whether you think it likely or not that he'd be picked up is completely irrelevant - he was not given the opportunity to find out.

Like nearly every other delisted player in this draft, Hansen would have found out the truth which is that not a single club would have touched him.

At least now, with WCE paying out the bulk of his contract, he has an outside chance of being drafted.

At least now, with WCE paying out the bulk of his contract, he has an outside chance of being drafted.

I still can't see how that would be any different if they'd done it three weeks ago rather than now. They'd still be paying out his contract but he'd have a whole extra draft to be eligible for.

I still can't see how that would be any different if they'd done it three weeks ago rather than now. They'd still be paying out his contract but he'd have a whole extra draft to be eligible for.

It doesn't make a difference because you can't be taken as a mature age rookie in the national draft.

Nobody was ever going to take him in the national draft.

It doesn't make a difference because you can't be taken as a mature age rookie in the national draft.

Nobody was ever going to take him in the national draft.

I would have said the same thing about Dean Polo.

WC didn't give him a chance.

That is the issue.

It's poor planning and poor treatment by a poor club.