So Needs Wins Out.....

Grandson of a gun

4 players all 190 plus would indicate the Demons have clearly taken the path of needs over best available, backing in their already stockpiled midfield talent.

Good on the Demons. A good mix of forwards and defenders. Cook looks good and i like the write up of McDonald....

I have always had great faith in the recruiting department and nothing has changed here.

Bring on 2011!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time under BP that we drafted strongly on needs.

That tells me that we didn't think the draft was very strong and that we believe that we've got enough talent coming through to take a risk on a few talls. Big risk means big reward.

4 players all 190 plus would indicate the Demons have clearly taken the path of needs over best available, backing in their already stockpiled midfield talent.

Good on the Demons. A good mix of forwards and defenders. Cook looks good and i like the write up of McDonald....

I have always had great faith in the recruiting department and nothing has changed here.

Bring on 2011!

To me it says the opposite.

They took the best player they thought was there, hence the 3 forwards and the defender.

It certainly is a "i'll see you in 4 years draft"

To me it says the opposite.

They took the best player they thought was there, hence the 3 forwards and the defender.

It certainly is a "i'll see you in 4 years draft"

Disagree, there were more highly rated mids and medium sized players than a bloke like Howe or our subsequent picks but they took the risk. That's what i mean by needs rather than just a blatant best available that has no thought towards where they'd fit in the team.

Agree it is a draft for 2-4 years time...

Disagree, there were more highly rated mids and medium sized players than a bloke like Howe or our subsequent picks but they took the risk. That's what i mean by needs rather than just a blatant best available that has no thought towards where they'd fit in the team.

Agree it is a draft for 2-4 years time...

So you agree that we won't see the best of these four for years but you claim that they won't be as good as the midfielders picked after them?

How do you know?

I mean, BP and Co. picked who he thought would be the better player down the track.

Who knows in four years?

So you agree that we won't see the best of these four for years but you claim that they won't be as good as the midfielders picked after them?

How do you know?

I mean, BP and Co. picked who he thought would be the better player down the track.

Who knows in four years?

No i didn't. Are you a female- putting words into my mouth????

I said that there were more highly rated players ahead of those we picked. Highly rated. Nothing about how good down the track. How they are rated at the moment. How do any of us know how good they will all be down the track??? Bennell could be a spud (the next Daniel Wells) but at the moment he is rated the second best by GC. If you can't see the point i'm making then i don't know what else to say..........

The Howe pick is the one the commentators on SEN said was the biggest bolter. I dunno about anyone else, but that kind of excites me, especially in a draft where no-one cared what went after about 30... I like that BP marches to the beat of his own drum, AND that we've addressed a lot of needs (though not a ruckman or HB flank)...

If he recruits predictable ones, and they turn out to be stars, he's a genius.

If he recruits smokies and they turn out to be stars, he's a genius.

Regardless of predictable/smokies... if they're duds, he sucks.

It's really that simple. So honestly, what more is there to do but get excited about all the height?

This is the first time under BP that we drafted strongly on needs.

That tells me that we didn't think the draft was very strong and that we believe that we've got enough talent coming through to take a risk on a few talls. Big risk means big reward.

I don't think it's a reflection on the draft pool,,, but more so on where we think our list is currently at.

I think it says,, that we reckon we have One of the best lists, on talent, now. And that we have drafted for needs, to fill the areas of future concern.

In other terms,,, we've drafted not for a great List perse',,, but we are now drafting for a premiership list. Starting,, to add the Icing.

I don't think it's a reflection on the draft pool,,, but more so on where we think our list is currently at.

I think it says,, that we reckon we have One of the best lists, on talent, now. And that we have drafted for needs, to fill the areas of future concern.

In other terms,,, we've drafted not for a great List perse',,, but we are now drafting for a premiership list. Starting,, to add the Icing.

I understand what you're saying, but I think if there were any midfielders or half back flankers with massive amounts of talent available to us, we wouldn't have skipped them.

There was clearly no smalls worthy of us disregarding our needs, whereas in previous years we have done that. I think everyone wanted us to draft a tall at pick 11 last year and we got Gysberts, because we clearly thought he was far better than any tall available at that stage.

With Jack Viney almost a certainty, and a big list of first and second round smalls already on our list, now is the time to start drafting to fill gaps. Just like in 2 years it will be time to trade picks for mature players to fill other gaps.

We were never going to build a premiership winning midfield or defense out of this year's draft, so I really see very little risk in our strategy.

Edited by Jaded

I understand what you're saying, but I think if there were any midfielders or half back flankers with massive amounts of talent available to us, we wouldn't have skipped them.

There was clearly no smalls worthy of us disregarding our needs, whereas in previous years we have done that. I think everyone wanted us to draft a tall at pick 11 last year and we got Gysberts, because we clearly thought he was far better than any tall available at that stage.

With Jack Viney almost a certainty, and a big list of first and second round smalls already on our list, now is the time to start drafting to fill gaps. Just like in 2 years it will be time to trade picks for mature players to fill other gaps.

We were never going to build a premiership winning midfield or defense out of this year's draft, so I really see very little risk in our strategy.

I wonder if Heppell,,, Prestia,,, Gorringe,,, or Lynch were still available to us, would we have taken them. I think yes, obviously. But it does look like there were only 2 mids that may have fallen our way, that we may have taken ahead of Gorringe, Lynch & cook. and thats probably how I would have rolled the dice myself. I mean I rated Heppell on need of a med' back. Prestia was rated highly it seems as an inside classy player. Higher than I thought. But I liked Gorringe & Lynch & Watson.

Ps: The blues got a lot of players I liked, for between P15 - 40ish. Interesting to see how they go in the next 4 years.

PS: i think we can trade next year prior to the National draft... I think from memory that If we trade our early pick for a player, we can still nominate our father sun with the next best available Pick.

Edited by dee-luded

More highly rated by who? Barry Prendergast and our recruiting team apparently do not agree.

Old55 you too have missed the point. You are contradicting yourself as it is clear that BP identified our most pressing NEEDS being talls. Atley was rated as a better prospect than Cook but BP went with our needs first in taking Cook. Likewise as the list goes on. Get your head out of the sand. I think BP has done a great job!

That was my point.

And that was a sexist comment GOAG.

I'm very pretty, but a boy I am.

And I won't put anything in your mouth.

You missed the point- see reply to Old55. I couldn't care less how sexist you believe the comment, toughen up princess....

But thanks for not putting anything in my mouth :)

Sooo tempting rpfc. But I'll let it go thru to the keeper

Rather than being caught behind????????????????? :blink:

I'm puzzled how drafting the 3rd and 4th tall is drafting for needs? If we drafted 4 mids no-one would be saying that. Surely the "need" is filled at some stage. I'd say the fact that we drafted 4 talls indicates quite the opposite.

Old55 you too have missed the point. You are contradicting yourself as it is clear that BP identified our most pressing NEEDS being talls. Atley was rated as a better prospect than Cook but BP went with our needs first in taking Cook. Likewise as the list goes on. Get your head out of the sand. I think BP has done a great job!

No you have missed the point - more highly rated by whom? Some phantom drafts?

No you have missed the point - more highly rated by whom? Some phantom drafts?

Kevin Sheahan to name one......

Get over it Oldboy and let's just sit back and both watch these kids develop and slot into the team that we all hope will take us to the flag...

Which AFL club is Sheahan a recruiter for?

Besides, Shifter named Cook as one of his top 30 players. He didn't give any order. So how was he wrong?

The point is, nobody outside of AFL recruiting knows how highly rated different players are. You simply don't know who is rated highly and are guessing. Let's at least wait to see what Prendergast says.

We recruited a kid whose playing base was Ballarat but is from further out than that, named McDonald.

Given that James was 'Junior', what is this guy gonna be?

'Embryo'?

'Glint in his father's eye'? (GIFE for short)

Anyway, I'm happy with our collection. They are all billed as good marks, good work ethic, accurate kick, nice guys.

We can go back to hunting midfielders next year. ;)

I'm puzzled how drafting the 3rd and 4th tall is drafting for needs? If we drafted 4 mids no-one would be saying that. Surely the "need" is filled at some stage. I'd say the fact that we drafted 4 talls indicates quite the opposite.

One Tall mobile Forward, one medium tall forward, & one tall defender with pace, & one spec', power forward.

Tall forward it seems for CHF. One med/tall strong marking forward. (replace Hughes?) One tall defender with pace, will hopefully replace Warnock/Rivers from 2013/14.

One tall power forward on IMO speculation. Hopefully good for 2014 on >.

As has already been said. You are the one missing the point. I presume you are basin this 'rating' off BF phantoms and journalists... Fact is, they know very little other than some inside tips on who may go where or who speaks to who, but they would never know where recruiters rate players.

Always found the term 'slider' stupid for this very reason. They only slide when compared to BF hype. But at the end of the day they are drafted exactly where recruiters rate them. If Atley (to take your example) was so highly rated, he would have been taken earlier. But he wasn't. I feel many people latched onto his Judd comparisons too literally.

Faith vindicated . Well done mfc fd. Got enough mids for now , more will come ; Viney etc . Was time to boost stocks of talks. Thats what we needed. And they were the best available at our picks.

Simple really

You missed the point- see reply to Old55. I couldn't care less how sexist you believe the comment, toughen up princess....

But thanks for not putting anything in my mouth :)

Rather than being caught behind????????????????? :blink:

I don't know if you are revealing your age but you are definitely revealing your character...