Closest to the pin

alpha33

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess it's something you could work on and maybe I caught him on bad days.

Others say his overhead marking is a strength.

I thought it should've been much better.

He moves exceptionally well for a bloke his size, & I remember when I first saw him I was excited by that.

In the end I was put off by what I saw as his lack of ability overhead because I couldn't stop thinking of PJ and how frustratingly useless he was overhead.

I concede I've probably underestimated Cook, but what exactly do you want from an armchair critic..?

Very clean skills too and applies good forward line pressure.

I see him as a bit of a poor man's Watts.

I see someone else noted that in the draft day thread - well I agree.

Yeah, I guess it's something you could work on and maybe I caught him on bad days.

Others say his overhead marking is a strength.

I thought it should've been much better.

He moves exceptionally well for a bloke his size, & I remember when I first saw him I was excited by that.

In the end I was put off by what I saw as his lack of ability overhead because I couldn't stop thinking of PJ and how frustratingly useless he was overhead.

I concede I've probably underestimated Cook, but what exactly do you want from an armchair critic..?

Very clean skills too and applies good forward line pressure.

I see him as a bit of a poor man's Watts.

I see someone else noted that in the draft day thread - well I agree.

Cook is competent on both sides of his body (left & right foot). Certainly agile. I think he's actually ok overhead. I'm happy with the selection.

I'd love to know if BP had his fingers crossed for Lynch though. But hey, that is history.

Welcome Cooky. Any relation to James Cook ?

That's what I was thinking, seeing as he barracks for the dogs because his dad does, because his dad's older brother played there.

Gotta be James Cook.

Can't think of another one.

That's what I was thinking, seeing as he barracks for the dogs because his dad does, because his dad's older brother played there.

Gotta be James Cook.

Can't think of another one.

It must be James Cook, who not only played for the blues and the dogs he also played for the Dees!!! He only played 3 games for us though so hopefully young Lucas is the star of the family!!!

I work with someone who is on the recruiting staff team for an interstate team. He told me that Melbourne really, really, really wanted Lynch at #12. They had been keen on him for a few months. He was the one they wanted but they also thought they realistically had no chance of getting him so that is probably the reason why we took Cook.

He also said that this was the first year that most clubs really did not know the picks earlier on. usually they know them at least 1 week before the draft. They generally know the first 15-20 that are going. This year they did not know many.

Personally I am really happy with our picks, and if 1 or 2 of them become regular very good players we should be happy.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if that wasn't the truth.

I also think Clayton purposely dragged it out like that, leaving Lynch til 11 just to torture us, which is his prerogative.

From looking at who was left on the board and just listening to BP's voice, I think we just missed out on a few.

Obviously Lynch at 12, but also Josh Green at 33 (although it was reasonable to expect he'd go to Brisbane at 32) and Cam Oshea at 53 (not so much, because if we really wanted him, we could've jumped at pick 50).

Just the feeling I get about this draft.

It must be James Cook, who not only played for the blues and the dogs he also played for the Dees!!! He only played 3 games for us though so hopefully young Lucas is the star of the family!!!

A Graeme Cook apparently played for Dogs in the ~ 1960's and came from Hopetoun, as did Lucas Cook. I'd say James isn't it.

- courtesy gsmith12 on O'logy.

You'd think that if it was James Cook, the club wouldve said something about his uncle having previously played for the dees.

It's just too obvious to leave out, if it were true.

Just the feeling I get about this draft.

Yeah, I feel that too just a bit, but what's the alternative? Finish lower on the ladder to get earlier picks? This is how it works for every team that makes finals every year and has to watch everything they want go in the first 10 picks. I think we missed out on the ones we wanted by the slightest of margins... but that's how it goes I guess.

Have you changed your mind on Cook? You weren't glowing at first... but now I notice you're happy?

Yeah, I did see that & you're 100% correct.

My maths wasn't good on that one.

Dappa, I'm really happy because we've stocked up on talls, which is something I was keen to do, but didn't expect to ge 4 of them.

The end result is great.

With Cook, I was a bit seduced by the game of a few others, but it's all about his potential.

He has great size & is a better fit for us than any other player in the draft bar Lynch.

I didn't personally think he was strong enough over head, but the highlight reels would indicate otherwise.

Davis I love & even put in my dream choices in this thread.

Howe could be a steal & McDonald is perfectly suited to the substitute role.

Dappa, I'm really happy because we've stocked up on talls, which is something I was keen to do, but didn't expect to ge 4 of them.

I thought you were keen on Jacobs and then pre-draft Heppell. In fact, I'm that confused because I reckon you named about 67 players and covered all bases. ;)

I did, but I'm still bloody happy!

I think it's fair to consider and reconsider your position over the long lead up to the draft.

God knows the recruiters do.

I did say a few times, that no matter who we select, it will be a good player & I'll be happy.

I was sold on Jacobs, but mostly because of the mail I was getting from a couple of sources.

Heppell was a pipedream.

As far as best available, we probably didn't quite get it, but the margin was so small that it was negligable and in the process we have completely fulfilled our needs with exciting talent.

I can't see many weaknesses in our list.

I did, but I'm still bloody happy!

I think it's fair to consider and reconsider your position over the long lead up to the draft.

God knows the recruiters do.

I did say a few times, that no matter who we select, it will be a good player & I'll be happy.

I was sold on Jacobs, but mostly because of the mail I was getting from a couple of sources.

Heppell was a pipedream.

As far as best available, we probably didn't quite get it, but the margin was so small that it was negligable and in the process we have completely fulfilled our needs with exciting talent.

I can't see many weaknesses in our list.

I have a feeling Grimes will be needed down back, we're now a little thin in that department and if one or two should get injured we'll be tested. We need the likes of Strauss and Davis to step up - and for the time being it's asking a bit much. All we have capable is Warnock in reserve for Frawley or Rivers (or maybe MacDonald). But he's merely suited to the FB possy.

So I'm not exactly full of encouragement to see Grimes in the midfield next year. Even though I would love to see him in there.

Heppell was a pipedream.

Not really according to other sources. Apparently Hird pushed for Heppell over Atley in the last few days and spoke to him the night before the draft. He was the first Essendon person to speak to him.

Yeah, Heppell would have been too good to pass up, just as he was for Essendon.

I still can't figure out why GC thought that he wasn't right for them.

Still, I think Cook is perfect for our needs whilst still pretty much fitting the bill for best available.

And I'm happy with Grimes on a HBF.

Mids & flankers develop quicker, so we can sort them out next year.

Edited by E25

Wouldn't surpise to see someone like Blease or even Tapscott spend some time as a dashing HBF with good skills. I reckon Morton will spend some time there too. All of which would release Grimes for some time in the middle.

Want to have some real fun, keep closest to the pin going for the Rookie Draft. One correct will probably win it.

might set up the dart board !