2010 Player Review - # 40 Mark Jamar

Demonland

My only complaint is that now there's a post every day about how this or that dud can "do a Jamar".

Outstanding season.

I always thought he'd be a decent ruckman. Probably would have been 2 years earlier if Daniher had've been able to manage second rucks a bit better. ND would just run White into the ground until he was cooked then throw some kid who'd been gathering ass splinters for 20 rounds into the deep end. His inability to manage 2 rucks cost us Jolly and Simmonds and probably went close to killing Jamar's career before it got off the ground.

Hard to tell if DB can manage 2 rucks yet, I'll let you know when he has 2 at his disposal. B)

Games MFC 2010 22 Total 95 Goals MFC 2010 12 Total 40

All the faithful who used to venture to Trevor Barker Oval, saw what Mark was capable of playing for Sandringham, he would rip a game apart. Now he is performing at AFL level. Interesting that he puts the improvement down to studying opposition ruckman while out injured for most of the previous 2 seasons, and confidence of course.

I always thought he'd be a decent ruckman. Probably would have been 2 years earlier if Daniher had've been able to manage second rucks a bit better. ND would just run White into the ground until he was cooked then throw some kid who'd been gathering ass splinters for 20 rounds into the deep end. His inability to manage 2 rucks cost us Jolly and Simmonds and probably went close to killing Jamar's career before it got off the ground.

That's garbage. When fit pre 1995, White was an athletic ruckman who was able to singlehandedly dominate the ruck for long periods. In 1994 White was AA ruck when Jolly left. For the record, Jolly was injured for alot of 1994 and performed poorly. Jollys initial opportunity came because Simmonds wanted to be a first ruck and sort a trade. And you can only have one of those in a team. Jolly wanted something similar and went to Sydney where he spent his first year there feeling the pine to Jason Ball. When Jolly went he opened opportunities for Jamar. Jamar by his own admission was not held back by White but by this own performances. Damn facts.

Great season by Jamar and I agree with Nasher. B)

That's garbage. When fit pre 1995, White was an athletic ruckman who was able to singlehandedly dominate the ruck for long periods. In 1994 White was AA ruck when Jolly left. For the record, Jolly was injured for alot of 1994 and performed poorly. Jollys initial opportunity came because Simmonds wanted to be a first ruck and sort a trade. And you can only have one of those in a team. Jolly wanted something similar and went to Sydney where he spent his first year there feeling the pine to Jason Ball. When Jolly went he opened opportunities for Jamar. Jamar by his own admission was not held back by White but by this own performances. Damn facts.

You've got your decades mixed up there old boy, but I totally agree with the premise.

If anything, Daniher's persistence with Jamar (ahead of Jolly before Splinters sulked off to Sydney) is probably a key part of his resurgence. Jamar could easily have been delisted before Dean Bailey even set foot in the door.

It's been a long wait, but it's definitely been worth it.

I remember when I was younger, I'd cringe when Jamar had the footy.

Suddenly he is one of our most reliable and my biggest worry with him is that he will get burnt out or injured through overuse.

wat a year for the big russian! if u had of said he wud make the all australian side at the start of the year u wud ave been laughed at! such a great transformation n please stay injury free big fella n keep up the great work!

Great season by Jamar and I agree with Nasher. B)

Fair enough, may have filled in the dots a bit myself on Simmonds and Jolly as I was o/s and interstate for large parts of the early naughties. I thought they left looking for gametime.

I do recall hearing a few times and I think it may have even been reported that opposition teams felt that you just had to wait for White to tire late in the year and Melbourne would start to struggle. I think our results from 94-96 back that up a bit. This is in no way an attack on Jeff White, I have the utmost respect for Jeff, I just don't think he was managed as well as he could've been. You need your best players up and firing at finals time, and we seldom had that.

I looked for the gametime stats from 06 but couldn't find them, if you can I'll bet that Jamar would average 15-20 mins of total gametime in games that White played in 06/07, less than 5 mins a qtr. I'm not sure how someone is supposed to develop on that much footy. I suggested several times on ology in that period and later when I came here that Jamar would be fine with gametime and confidence. I think I recall you calling him something like a proven failure around that time. Yet 40 odd games after assuming the first ruck duties he has an AA guernsey.

Fair enough, may have filled in the dots a bit myself on Simmonds and Jolly as I was o/s and interstate for large parts of the early naughties. I thought they left looking for gametime.

I do recall hearing a few times and I think it may have even been reported that opposition teams felt that you just had to wait for White to tire late in the year and Melbourne would start to struggle. I think our results from 94-96 back that up a bit. This is in no way an attack on Jeff White, I have the utmost respect for Jeff, I just don't think he was managed as well as he could've been. You need your best players up and firing at finals time, and we seldom had that.

I looked for the gametime stats from 06 but couldn't find them, if you can I'll bet that Jamar would average 15-20 mins of total gametime in games that White played in 06/07, less than 5 mins a qtr. I'm not sure how someone is supposed to develop on that much footy. I suggested several times on ology in that period and later when I came here that Jamar would be fine with gametime and confidence. I think I recall you calling him something like a proven failure around that time. Yet 40 odd games after assuming the first ruck duties he has an AA guernsey.

Nasher picked me up for the decade error. Doh! 2004 he was sensational. In 2005 and 2006, the centre rule killed his impact in the ruck.

I ma not sure 3 years ago or more Jamar warranted more game time. He just could not get his hands on the ball Its a catch 22. Jolly leaving left us in a hole which was not covered by PJ recruitment or the lack of rookieing a capable ruckman.

I always thought Jeff White was a great player and gave the club great service but there was something intangible missing in his game that I find hard to identify. Perhaps a bit of mongrel or physical presence that could have turned games. He punched above his weight with minimal height but great leap and got a lot of the ball at bounces but not so often to advantage. I couldn't see him as a ruckman that would have led us to a premiership. Thats why Collingwood chased Jolly. During the Daniher years I'd reckon we were a bit soft as a team after 2000 and he fitted into that profile especially during our frequent fadeouts. Perhaps over used as others have said? He was never "The Great White Hope" that it was hoped he would become when picked up. From potential superstar quality he ended up as a great tradesman. Eventually he got squeezed out by Bailey despite us having no other perceived quality ruck options at the time. Thats why the likes of Robert Warnock were chased before Jamars stunning emergence.

With Jamar I can see that premiership aura in him but one good season does not make a premiership ruckman. He has to go back to back and further and will need some help along the way.

Edited by america de cali

I believe that Mark maybe judged by the time his career is over- as being the "ONE" whom turned his career around the most- well done Russian-congratulations. Just hope PJ or Juice can follow suit.

Awesome year for a really nice bloke. Well done.

His success has come as the result of a lot of hard work. While injured he spent a lot of time "learning" the art of ruckwork.

An exceptionally nice bloke who is gracious and always available for fans. Arrived in Shanghai on the morning of the game - after coming straight from a wedding in Australia - and still had time for photos & autographs with fans after the game although very sore & tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding season by Rush. Has become a mainstay of our developing midfield, and will be critical to its rate of progress over the next year or two. His heart (workrate) matches the size of his body, and like all of us here, I hope and pray that he can maintain his form and fitness as our window opens.

Edited by Deeoldfart