The List Management Thread

Inner Demon

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As posted in the "Hale alternative" thread:

I reckon we're gonna have 4 ND picks - we should delist PJ and Tommy Mac - and 5 rookie picks even if we retain Newton. That means we can put 9 new players on our list. If we reckon that PJ and TMac are the best available option at any of those 9 positions then we can pick them up. Retaining Newton deprives us of a 6th rookie pick - 10th player overall, retaining PJ and TMac deprives us of ND picks 49 and 52 - 3rd and 4th player overall, there's a big difference.

Guest Thomo

I don't want Watts having his body battered by being forced to compete in the ruck.

I'm pretty sure the FD are smart enough to avoid this.

It's a contact sport he has chosen to play, I'm not sure why you think he would get battered. There are plenty of players in the AFL smaller that Watts that have a run in the ruck.

If a third year player can't handle short stints in the ruck because he will end up in a wheelchair, there is something wrong with that player.

It's a contact sport he has chosen to play, I'm not sure why you think he would get battered. There are plenty of players in the AFL smaller that Watts that have a run in the ruck.

If a third year player can't handle short stints in the ruck because he will end up in a wheelchair, there is something wrong with that player.

Or the idiot putting him in there...

• 2 weeks later...

As posted in the "Hale alternative" thread:

I reckon we're gonna have 4 ND picks - we should delist PJ and Tommy Mac - and 5 rookie picks even if we retain Newton. That means we can put 9 new players on our list. If we reckon that PJ and TMac are the best available option at any of those 9 positions then we can pick them up. Retaining Newton deprives us of a 6th rookie pick - 10th player overall, retaining PJ and TMac deprives us of ND picks 49 and 52 - 3rd and 4th player overall, there's a big difference.

i reckon they should do that. get 4 ND picks plus 5 rookies and retain Newton.

Watts could do it, but as an opposition coach I would get my bloke to get his knees and absolutely destroy him. All it would cost is a free, and we lose our CHF.

Riewoldt doesn't do it, but there is something wrong with Watts because he doesn't do it?

Please...

Guest Thomo

Watts could do it, but as an opposition coach I would get my bloke to get his knees and absolutely destroy him. All it would cost is a free, and we lose our CHF.

Riewoldt doesn't do it, but there is something wrong with Watts because he doesn't do it?

Please...

Staints have Justin Koschitzke, Dees are struggleing for options. Riewoldt also doesn't have Watts height and leap.

He might struggle with getting knees, but he also might cause some serious matchup problems.

Watts can back Jamar up, and save the sub spot for another runner.

Watts has the height and leap to compete with any ruckman in the league, and will have one more preseason into his body. With the rule change, I doubt many teams will have two big bodied physical ruckman, so Watts can ruck against their backups without getting smashed. We would also create some nightmares for opposition coaches with his speed and skill on the ball.

Don't be surprised if they see Newton in that role. Did well in Shanghai in defence and ruck and in a couple of real games he competed well in the ruck. If, like me, you have written him off because he's not up to it as a fwd then maybe the club knows better. They clearly see something that eludes the rest of us!

Staints have Justin Koschitzke, Dees are struggleing for options. Riewoldt also doesn't have Watts height and leap.

He might struggle with getting knees, but he also might cause some serious matchup problems.

It will not happen.

It's a massive risk to a player we paid a high price for.

And we didn't draft him to be a part-time ruck.

Don't be surprised if they see Newton in that role. Did well in Shanghai in defence and ruck and in a couple of real games he competed well in the ruck. If, like me, you have written him off because he's not up to it as a fwd then maybe the club knows better. They clearly see something that eludes the rest of us!

I have seen Newton play this role at Casey and do a good job Yes I know it was at Casey.

Not getting Hale might have saved Newton for another year.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting when the MFC come up with their final player list.

I will not be surprised if Newton gets a one year contract.

Don't know about others, but I am a bit surprised we have left news on our 1st list lodgement so late.

Why are you surprised?

Almost everyone has been in China and no doubt the situation with Bruce is holding up a few decisions

on other players.

I think the first lodgement is not due till next week and then there is another chance after that so we may be last

but it will happen.

I get the feeliing there will only be a couple more players dropped from the list.

Why are you surprised?

Almost everyone has been in China and no doubt the situation with Bruce is holding up a few decisions

on other players.

I think the first lodgement is not due till next week and then there is another chance after that so we may be last

but it will happen.

I get the feeliing there will only be a couple more players dropped from the list.

Good call Old Dee.

What I am missing though is that by 2 PM tommorrow (29th) we need to have list one done.

This is rookie promotions, retained second-year rookies, retained third-year international rookies, retained third-year non-registered rookies.

Have we done this?

It's either going to be the moment we've all been waiting for, or an horrendous moment of disbelief and anger.

That's what she said...

Are we above those puerile jokes? Because without much footy to talk about I have to find my own avenues of entertainment...

It's either going to be the moment we've all been waiting for, or an horrendous moment of disbelief and anger.

I usually reserve my "disbelief and anger" quota for decisions more important than Michael Newton vs Rookie Draft pick 90

I hope we retain him.

That's what she said...

Are we above those puerils jokes? Because without much footy to talk about I have to find my own avenues of entertainment...

I actually really enjoyed that, but hey, some posters seem to think it is ruining demonland...

It's like they don't realise it's the offseason and that the alternative is reading 16 different threads on why we should take Serhat Temel or Majak Daw.

Different rules apply at this time of year, imo.

I agree old. I'd be happy, given our situation and the circumstances of the player involved, if we kept Newton for next year.

E25 & rpfc - it's not up to you (or me) whether the rules change during the off season. There's a General Discussion board on there for your use if you feel like it. Maybe if your discussions are interesting and funny enough over there then you will make more people want to go there.

It seems that some posters want too use the off season to justify their own childishness.

It seems that some posters want too use the off season to justify their own childishness.

Too true.

But I doubt the general discussion board has a different level of acceptable puerile behaviour, which is where that joke is pushing the 'line.'

Johnson & McNamara added to Miller & Bell delistings with Junior retired & Cheney traded.

Spencer & McKenzie promoted.

Newton retained as a rookie.

Meesen, Hughes & Healey delisted.

Leaves us 4 picks in National Draft & 5 picks in Rookie draft.

No surprises. 9 new players is a pretty good intake.