• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Praising Bruce

joeboy

This year only 300k of his salary went towards the cap.

That's exactly the same as what Q Lynch was offered at WCE, a guy who doesn't even make their team.

Bruce will come top 5 in our B&F this season. If that's not value i don't know what is

What's included in the cap is largely irrelevant - we still have to find that money to pay him and for a club that has been in massive debt until just recently, that is critical.

Edited by E25

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chat with a few folks from the old admin after they signed him up the last time, at the start of the 2007 season I believe. I don't wish to use hyperbole but I believe the mindset of the club as a whole and towards older players was different in March 2007 than it was in September 2007...

As I said before you have 'gotta pay someone.' The minimum to pay everyone this year for example is $7.3m, and the max is only $600k more. The best players at all clubs earn roughly the same amount.

He's on around a $500k base with payments and incentives that can get it up to $600k.

I would say he has got it up that high this season. He's been very good.

So you are relying on your memory of 3 1/2 years ago of a "chat with a few folks from the old admin" about his previous contract, not his current and you can even estimate the performance content for this year!

Pfffft! Yeah, sure

Interesting on how everyone is an expert on Cam Bruce's salary package

Its all conjecture

You wouldn't know his salary package i.e. what/if component is performance based, whether it has a front or backloading component, whether he has a promotional component etc etc

Someone here just quotes a figure and everyone just goes along with it - what a joke

Exactly, NOBODY on this forum knows what Cam gets. And boy, whatever the figure, he has sure earned it. He simply runs his guts out week in and week out for his beloved Dees. Not bad effort for a Number 64 draft pick eh?

So you are relying on your memory of 3 1/2 years ago of a "chat with a few folks from the old admin" about his previous contract, not his current and you can even estimate the performance content for this year!

Pfffft! Yeah, sure

Exactly, NOBODY on this forum knows what Cam gets. And boy, whatever the figure, he has sure earned it. He simply runs his guts out week in and week out for his beloved Dees. Not bad effort for a Number 64 draft pick eh?

ah what would we do without all the nay sayers in this world.

rpfc didn't have to divulge such information if he didn't think it was warranted. for what it is worth, i think he could be just about on the money - excuse the pun.

and bobby, how would you know, that NOBODY on this forum knows ? Fact is, you don't know.

If Bruce has been paid upwards of $600K, I'm sorry but he hasn't earned it.

I don't care how hard he has run, players that lift their sides to another level like Riewoldt or Judd deserve that money.

Cam Bruce has been fortunate to get that money.

Plenty of other players at other clubs work just as hard and do the same things and get paid far less, but what they deserve (on a relative scale).

And to question how rfpc knows that, simply, you only need to look at the makeup of our list in those years.

Unless players like Newton and Meesen were on $400K a year, it's inconceivable that he wouldn't be earning that sort of money to make up the cap.

That's not to say he deserved it, but that the money needed to be spent.

Now that we have the cattle that deserve (or will deserve) decent wages, we can allocate those funds more appropriately.

That includes front-loading contracts. That's not something you can do before the players are on your list that you know will deserve it

(ie. We know Scully & Trengove will be beauties so we can front-load their contracts long-term essentially knowing they will be deserving of the money and years. More speculative players, like a McNamara you don't really want to be doing that with.)

If you're unsure of the idea of front-loading, Tim Harrington goes through it in the most recent Whoteboard Wednesday.

Pfffft! Yeah, sure

I'm happy with my memory capabilities.

Especially considering that Cam Bruce signed his 2008-10 contract in late March of 07.

I'd love to give you the multitude of links that I'm sure there is but I am on my iPhone at the minute.

And, lastly, you're a jagged little pill aren't you?

I'm happy with my memory capabilities.

Especially considering that Cam Bruce signed his 2008-10 contract in late March of 07. . . .

According to FoxSports the referenced contract was to the end of the 2009 season.

Bruce signs contract

That was my reference . . . not claiming it was infallible

Edited by daisycutter

Cam is one of the most creative players we have at the club, has been for a long time. Yes he's made some mistakes but that is usually the bad handball when he is trying to create something when we are really under pressure. He is one of our best play makers. I know that the bombers made a major play for him in Sheedy's reign when the bombers were flying. They believed he was the play maker they needed to feed, Lloyd and Lucas along side Hird. The entire bomber team supported the idea. Sheedy would probably have used him differently than we have come to know. Great playmaker, but as Johnson andHird knew only to well his defensive skills were close to best in the league. Great pressure without giving away the free. Sensational at deballing the opposition and starting a counter attack. So his kicking was not his prime asset. How easy to forget the many goals he did kick. I am staggered that people have criticised his kicking when we have a swag of poor kicks. Leading the way is James MCD. Nobody ever mentions this about him but his passing was hardly 50/50. Miller was abysmal as we all know. People drool over Bartram but ignore his very slow mind and very modest kicking. I won't bore you any more by players that can't kick.

According to FoxSports the referenced contract was to the end of the 2009 season.

Bruce signs contract

That was my reference . . . not claiming it was infallible

Bruce commits to 2010

It's worth reading this and noting that at the start of 2007 - Bruce was an established star in a team that was expecting to do something.

Hence the wage.

It's worth reading this and noting that at the start of 2007 - Bruce was an established star in a team that was expecting to do something.

Hence the wage.

Didn't see any mention of a $600K package

Nor did any other link I could find on internet mention any figure

I'm happy to accept he is one of MFCs better paid players (quite deservedly), most people accept that

I don't think other posters should just accept $600k as "fact" just because one poster said he heard it 3 1/2 years ago

And lastly a "jagged little pill". LMAO. Whatever that is, sounds like something E25 would use

I await bucket loads of abuse . . .

Didn't see any mention of a $600K package

Nor did any other link I could find on internet mention any figure

I'm happy to accept he is one of MFCs better paid players (quite deservedly), most people accept that

I don't think other posters should just accept $600k as "fact" just because one poster said he heard it 3 1/2 years ago

And lastly a "jagged little pill". LMAO. Whatever that is, sounds like something E25 would use

I await bucket loads of abuse . . .

Other than calling you an Alanis Morrisette album - what abuse have I shown your way?

I do not know the wages of many players. I know Green and Davey from reports and I know Bruce's from a conversation in March 2007. The number sticks in the mind...

You don't have to me trust DC, but you have little reason not to.

I have been here a few years now and I don't think you would find many posters describe me as attention [censored] who loves nothing more than spreading rumours about the very understandable pay packet of Cameron Bruce from 2008 to 2010.

And, if you believe he is well paid and most posters accept that. Why jump down the throat of a poster who is giving you the wage?

It's a footy club. They have friends. They tell their friends things. The truth on certain matters gets out. I post it on DLand. A few times over the years I might add. If I could be bothered doing a search, I would probably find a mention or two.

You should treat your Demonland elders with a bit of respect.

I don't abuse, I condescend...

And, if you believe he is well paid and most posters accept that. Why jump down the throat of a poster who is giving you the wage?

I didn't mean to jump down your throat specifically. What I mainly objected to was the assumption by other posters that it was some sort of fact re $600k who then went on to assume it to bag Bruce, when in fact it was just the opinion of one anonymous poster.

I don't have a problem with any poster posting any rumour he heard including yours (depending on content/context)

I have no way of knowing your bonafides nor the accuracy of your memory (nor do other posters).

You may be accurate or not, but such pronouncements should always be challenged

Lets just leave it at that

You should treat your Demonland elders with a bit of respect.

I like to think I treat all Demonland posters equally (at least initially).

I'm not so sure you are my elder though ;)

He cost us this game. Three mistakes ended up in giving away 3 goals. Can't understand why junior was asked to retire. While he is playing good footy. Should have been Bruce.

Stupid comments like that and you certainly are a rookie on this forum!! Can you cite the three mistakes? I can think of one where he had no chance of cutting off the pass but surely a crude attempt to spoil was better than letting his opponent take an easy mark. So it was Bruce and no one else who cost us the game? Obviously in your eyes, the only one to make mistakes in an error ridden effort from the boys. They tried TOO HARD for Junior I reckon.

Stupid comments like that and you certainly are a rookie on this forum!! Can you cite the three mistakes? I can think of one where he had no chance of cutting off the pass but surely a crude attempt to spoil was better than letting his opponent take an easy mark. So it was Bruce and no one else who cost us the game? Obviously in your eyes, the only one to make mistakes in an error ridden effort from the boys. They tried TOO HARD for Junior I reckon.

He clearly had a shocker and deserves a whack. Everyone was in love with him last week so only fair that we can be disappointed with him this week.

Guest watts04

Couldn't care less what he gets paid atm and best of luck to him. It's not like we have salary cap pressures and its cost us a player = MOVE ON. He has been a consistent performer but never got to A Grade level.

As for next year if anyone is willing to pay over 400k for him, i'd let him go. He is not worth over this amount for a senior player who can make mistakes and lacks leg speed. Best is behind him and we probably only offered him a one year deal.

Would rather see more of Tapscott, Bennell, Blease, Gys etc

Don't see it as a big issue either way

He clearly had a shocker and deserves a whack. Everyone was in love with him last week so only fair that we can be disappointed with him this week.

I thought he was close to "worst" on ground today. He got caught out behind way too often, looked disinterested, had a number of "soft" efforts at not attacking the ball rather waiting back and being another 'passenger' today. Considering he's in the leadership group and played for so long with Junior, I thought his effort today was inept.

I'm not much of a fan of Cam Bruce, he's had some good games this year, today was not one of them but I wouldn't say he cost us the game. What cost us the game was getting smashed in the clearances (Scully and Junior were not the best choices in the centre, why not Sylvia and McKenzie?), our lack of vision at constantly kicking to 2/3/4 on 1's, and our inexcusable mid-season change of game plan from "bold, through the centre movement" to "wide to the boundary, play on blindly" football. (We went through the middle once in the second half and got a goal).

Bruce does it alot, but today he was not the only one spectating packs and getting caught on the wrong side of the ball, Garland, Bartram, Jones, all did too. Hopefully it was just another learning experience. It was a shame Bennell had been out of form, his movement off the ball would have been handy today, too much standing around, but we'll be better next year with a bit more fitness in the young blokes.

However, from now on I will call Bruce "Even Steven" as anything good he does is generally evened out by poor disposal, or spectating.

Bruce got turned inside out a couple of times today and that cost us at least two goals. He was also beaten several times in one on one contests something that doesn't normally happen.

He did some good things but also did some very ordinary things. He wasn't an orphan in that respect and several of our players allowed the opposition to stroll up the ground, have a shot or pass in the the 50 without putting any pressure on the ball carrier. I understand that players have an assigned role as a tagger but when Jones just stood there and watched a North player pick up the ball while he held Harvey off was just appalling.

There were too many hesitant players out there today that just didn't know which way to go at times.

Bruce made 3 crucial mistakes in the last quarter today that cost us goals. He missed a spoil on Warren at half forward that he should of got to which Warren passed off to Edwards for a goal. Couldn't make body contact on Wright in the goal square and was out marked which he kicked a goal from and then he hand balled to the opposition at half back which resulted in a goal to Jones. He had a shocker, Bruce along with some missed opportunities in the 3rd quarter and start of 4th and some shocking umpiring decisions were enough to gift North a game we could and should have won.

Bruce made 3 crucial mistakes in the last quarter today that cost us goals. He missed a spoil on Warren at half forward that he should of got to which Warren passed off to Edwards for a goal. Couldn't make body contact on Wright in the goal square and was out marked which he kicked a goal from and then he hand balled to the opposition at half back which resulted in a goal to Jones. He had a shocker, Bruce along with some missed opportunities in the 3rd quarter and start of 4th and some shocking umpiring decisions were enough to gift North a game we could and should have won.

very very harsh interpretation. Sure he didn't have his best game, but very harsh to pick him up on 3 specific errors, none of which were nearly the worst mistakes made today.

- Re: the one where Wright marked it in the goal square. When our player turned it over in the middle of the ground and the North player (Swallow) got it with space running straight through the middle of the 50, it is almost impossible for a defender to stop that. The ball coming in like that is pretty much the hardest thing for a defender to stop.

- The missed spoil was bad bc he over committed, however the kick from Harvey to Warren was absolutely outstanding and kicked it beautifully to Warren's advantage. Bruce should have just accepted that he couldn't get to it and instead just stood the mark to prevent Warren from running on. Was a mistake, but not a totally unreasonable one and there would be 15 similar mistakes made by players on both sides today alone.

- The 'hand ball to the opposition' was more an intercepted handball. Sure it wasn't a good handball and no it didn't hit the target, but probably 50 other examples of much more blatant and worse skill errors than that.

He didn't have his best game and got some goals kicked on him, but i think his experience is invaluable to the team and he has had a terrific season. I love the way he sometimes uses his body to ease the opposition player out of position.

I think Bruce is often unfairly judged too harshly compared to other players

Exactly that is my point. A senior player should be able to read the play better. North started to fire up after that. How many times we have seen him hand ball to a pack ended up in turnover. Just because I don't post messages does not mean I don't know the facts.

Exactly that is my point. A senior player should be able to read the play better. North started to fire up after that. How many times we have seen him hand ball to a pack ended up in turnover. Just because I don't post messages does not mean I don't know the facts.

If you are going to be objective James McDonald had more turnovers/frees against than Bruce. Bruces game overall was reasonable with some mistakes, but I would say that the whole teams's performance was highlighted (again) by too many silly turnovers and poor disposal.

There would be many more players to be critical of than Bruce in this game, who seem to get little or less crtical comment.