Do you want us to make the finals?

titan_uranus

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looked into the crystal ball i.e. ladder predictor...you heard it here first (sounds like YzeMagic)....MELBOURNE vs. FILTH Grand Final hehe.

So Down to business: do we bring back Petterd for the GF if he's ready?

Nice to dream about?

but on a more serious note

HF: Sylvia, Watts, Wonna

FF: Petterd, Jurrah, Green

Bench: Bennel, Dunn

That's one of the better forward lines going around (as long as LJ doesn't play like he did at the Gabba), no?

Edited by pitchfork

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually we could make 7th, but if we finish 8th it might be Freo at Subi, a fixture we should have won 2 weeks ago. I'll take it.

I'd take Fremantle at Subi over Hawthorn at the MCG.

We should make it. We are the best side in the bottom eight - our percentage reflects that. In fact, if a few contentious decisions had gone our way, we could already be in the eight.

A final is worth five games. So we should make finals.

Edited by eth38

If we keep winning, then we deserve to be there. And if that is the case we will be in great form for the first final.

Most would rate us better than some in the eight at the minute. (Swans, Carlton).

I think it is unlikely, but if we get there it will be fantastic. And I would have no doubts about being there again in 2011.

Of course when we play I want us to win, and of course if we make the finals I'd be happy and I'd love for us to win one (or two or three or four...).

What I was trying to say was that I think there's an equally good argument for finishing 9th, that being that it adds a little extra motivation for next year and it might lessen the expectation. Clearly I'm in the minority on that.

FWIW I think we're the 8th best team in the competition and we deserve the final spot more than, say, North Melbourne (having just seen them get thumped by a Bulldogs team playing at 60%).

I think this thread was more of a reflection of the fact that I, and others it seems, are indifferent about finals, which I think is a good thing.

Of course when we play I want us to win, and of course if we make the finals I'd be happy and I'd love for us to win one (or two or three or four...).

What I was trying to say was that I think there's an equally good argument for finishing 9th, that being that it adds a little extra motivation for next year and it might lessen the expectation. Clearly I'm in the minority on that.

FWIW I think we're the 8th best team in the competition and we deserve the final spot more than, say, North Melbourne (having just seen them get thumped by a Bulldogs team playing at 60%).

I think this thread was more of a reflection of the fact that I, and others it seems, are indifferent about finals, which I think is a good thing.

You won't be indifferent if we make the finals & you know it.

Ask the Players if they want to play in september or finish 9th.

When has there ever been a good arguement to finish 9th?? FFS apart from Richmond always being there.

9th sucks, always has. No september, no draft picks.

8th means Hope, another chance to prove yourself.

Anybody who thinks finishing 9th is better for the MFC this year should go to the Hall of Mirrors for a good hard look at themselves. Junior McDonald playing Finals as captain of this young raw side-I'm sure he would just love that.

Last year i had to barrack for losses, because i knew what the Christmas present was, so this year do not tell me playing in the FINALS is a detrimental thing

I always WANT the dees to play finals, I just don't THINK it is likely.

Every game we play is experience, and getting into the finals this year would be fantastic for the boys after be starved of success for so long.

The dees would have to win 3 of their last 4 to make it happen. You can forget us beating Hawthorn who will come out blazing to keep their finals spot. Port is a wildcard over in SA. Richmond are not the easy beats they once were, and North proved to us once already this season that although we have a better list, they can beat us at our own game. Much is up in the air, but we are betting with house money here, so why not dare to dream big.

Exciting times ahead.

The best thing for the team is developing the habit of winning. This incorporates getting team structures in place and consistency within the playing group. Over the last few years we've seen the defensive structure come together, and this season has seen the core midfield group playing together and improving, and I believe the last six weeks have been significant with our key forward prospects playing together continuously as a group for the first time.

Winning is a habit, and learning to win is key. Whether we make the finals or not isn't going to effect what the Bailey is trying to build and how next year will be approached within the club. External expectation can't be managed, but we've seen how the measured club has been in building and managing the list. It's been very deliberate, and the improvement is obvious this year. The group needs to keep doing the right things, and if they do, they will be rewarded. If it's finals, so be it, but every game is an opportunity to learn how to win, and that experience is invaluable and must be taken when presented. Have faith, and enjoy the journey.

great reply to a stupid question

On that logic, there will be at least one, possibly two teams to be falsely rewarded.

If they're good enough, they'll have won enough games (and hopefully learned from the four close games we perhaps could/should have won) to warrant being there. If they make it, it's because they won enough games to be there. If they aren't good enough, they wont make it, then so be it. However, I want my team to be good enough, and hope they can show they are.

Yes there will Chaser. For years, it used to be 12 wins to make the finals. That's a winning season (12-10). For the last couple it hasn't been that and i just don't think that teams who lose more games than they win deserve to play finals. Don't get me wrong, i always want Melbourne to play to win and if the other teams in front of us fall over then so be it. As i have said, i just don't think it is deserved if you look at how we have played the season as a whole. Too inconsistent which is what young teams do. I expect us to finish around 10th and then make a push for finals next year.

8-9 wins this year was the goal. It looks like we will achieve that. Anything else is gravy.

If the players needed to miss finals to find motivation I'd be a very worried man.

Yes, i do not understand that logic at all. That is what a scared Club or player would consider.

I for one think Tom Scully would love a bit of Mid field action in september 2010 as one example.

Our coach might like it to.....He is one tough nut Bailey, not many could have stood the last 3 years without one slip in the media. (sorry he did drop the F word to Lethal, but it was in jest!!!!)

DB deserves a Final if we manage to slip in.

Definitely. bsolutely no value in 9th above 8th. Just ridiculous.

Oh dear. :(

One thing is for certain, there will be no wooden spoon three-peat!

If we can win 2 out of the next 3 (Rich, Hawks, Port)then the Round 22 game against the Roos will most defiantly be like an Elimination Final for us. Win that game and then head to the finals?!!! Wow, that would be an amazing result and the boys would get more out of those 2 weeks than 20 games.

The young guys are hungry and guys like Sylvia running into A grade peak form, getting this sort of taste will make this group salivate for it from 2011 onwards, I can see nothing but positives from making a great run and hitting the finals.

Sydney have Hawks (H), Freo (A), Dogs (H), Lions (A) - Carlton have Ess, Rich, Geel, Freo (A).....if either of Sydney or Carlton manage only 1 win from the last 4, we will take that spot providing we can win 3 from 4.

If they both manage 2 wins we would need to win all 4 games.

North have Freo (H), Saints, West Coast (A) and of course the Dees. 2 out of those look possible for Nth up to our game which would be the decider should one of Sydney or Carlton only manage one win which looking at both their draws and form is very very possible.

Bring it on, Go Dees!!

Hard to believe Melbourne supporters/members not wanting their side to participate in finals. Regardless.

hard to beleive you could be so naive as to consequences of a mistimed and conceived tilt .

I think it would be great to have such a young team sneak into the top 8, gain some finals experience and have that as a launching pad into season 2011. I also think we will loose to Port in 2 weeks time, ruling us out of making the top 8

Thee are and there entitled to be more than one viewpoint to all this. Some take the finals at any reason or opportunity type stance and there is a certain romanticism about that...yeahhh!! finals..woohoo we made finals..we made it etc. or the any finals experience is a good one and so on and so on.

There are some, myself included who take a more circumspect position and look to the best won batles of history and note very few were particulalrly opportunistic in the manner of just happening to be there. The most decisive campaigns we planned, to the nth degree, were resourced and time managed. So you have ad hoc, fall over the line versus properly thought out and positioned encounter.

This year was never about finlas...hell it was ..lets see if we cancombine and grow as a team and learn to play footy together and if al goes well lets savour some wins. Use that as a foudation to rasie the bar the following year with more ( and better ) wins resulting in a mechanical approach to the notion of triumph rather than the surprise result.

Were still in second gear...no matte how much you rev you wont get there with any great haste. All you'll do is burn up what you have and fry part of the team in the process. Its not ready yet.

Again, finals are not the destination or prize...they are simply a pathway.

I want to see Melbourne not only take out its next Premiership but to start a dynasty of success reminiscnt of the late fifties early sixties.

No one hit wonders ( if that lucky ) ..rather a solid album of success.

patience... and resolve are required.

Tortoise..and Hare !!

Even harder to fathom why you would completely misconstrue the difference between finishing 8 and 9 as a mistimed and misconceived tilt.

Do enlighten as to difference. I've outlined my view .. Explain yours