The best football we've played in years

titan_uranus

We've got an exciting future, boys!! The alarm bells are ringing that it'll be the year of the Demon soon enough!!

I echo the previous posts regarding the TV commentary by Bruce McAvaney!! He has a brilliant voice for footy and his calls such as, "Aussie you lil' ripperrrr. We love him, Aussie!" was spine-tingling and faaaantastic.

Maric. Wonaeamirri. Bail. They will be the three likely to be forced omissions next week, but I tell you what... all three of them played bloody good football today. Maric's pressure and nimble movement was great, Aussie's forward pressure phenomenal and Bail has some great composure.

As for Paul Johnson... please stick with him, Bails. Jamar will thank you a lot :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of Goodes' six scoring shots came in junk time - once we had stretched the margin to 91 points (?). Cale can consider that a victory

This is absolutely correct. No good judge of the game (and by this I don't mean the Brownlow vote-awarding umpires) would see it any differently; it was junk time. Frawley was a markedly better player than Goodes. Now, if Goodes were really good today, he'd have kicked 5 by 3/4 time. The fact is that when Goodes was playing off the forward line as a running mid-fielder, Morton shared the points with him.

Sorry but anyone standing one of one in the goal square with Adam Goodes and no teammate within a 50m radius, would be [censored] themselves. Be it Morton, Scarlett or Jesus himself.

Goodes is a bloody unbelievable player who has won two Brownlows and Morton was hardly disgraced. It was one of the best footy lessons he's ever likely to receive and I don't think Goodes walked away from the MCG thinking "man that kid is a spud, I had it so easy today".

Great game.. 'mazing what a difference it makes when you start kicking the ball !!!! who'd da thought :rolleyes:

Sorry but anyone standing one of one in the goal square with Adam Goodes and no teammate within a 50m radius, would be [censored] themselves. Be it Morton, Scarlett or Jesus himself.

Goodes is a bloody unbelievable player who has won two Brownlows and Morton was hardly disgraced. It was one of the best footy lessons he's ever likely to receive and I don't think Goodes walked away from the MCG thinking "man that kid is a spud, I had it so easy today".

I thought that Morton was a good match up on him around the ground but it was clear that when Goodes was one out in the forward line that Goodes was far too strong. As soon as Goodes had the time to get body contact he won the contest. It was as clear as day, hardly Morton's fault, he just was not physically in the contest. He is 7 or 8 kilos from being able to stand toe to toe with someone like Goodes and expect to even compete.

Great game, and I was suprised how fresh and energised the team looked after the late game in Freo last week......kudos to the fitness team, and the mindset of the players!

Colin Sylvia.........I thought today was his best game for the club.......IMO was clearly BOG, and a true 4 qtr performance, and stepped up with Moloney pulling out!

Awesome Col, just awesome!

Maric I thought was good.......for his first game in some time, I thought he put in a good effort, and should stay in for next week.

The skills on display, and ball movement was a pleasure to watch.......great stuff Dees!

You'd swear it was Geelong playing Sydney at the 'G today, not a back-to-back wooden-spooner.

It was unbelievable. I was speechless at 1/4 time. EVERY time we went inside-50, we looked extremely dangerous.

142 points against a tough Swans defence, who're in the top 3? for points against.

It just worked perfectly. Jurrah, Green, Watts bringing the ball to ground was terrific.

I could go on all night...seriously!

I look forward to work tomorrow.. especially facing my Dons colleague loves being above Melbourne on the ladder and who also thinks Green is a very average player. Hehehe.... this'll be great.

Colin Sylvia.........I thought today was his best game for the club.......IMO was clearly BOG, and a true 4 qtr performance, and stepped up with Moloney pulling out!

Sylvia's performance was even more amazing when you consider they put Brett Kirk on him to try and curb his influence!

Maric. Wonaeamirri. Bail. They will be the three likely to be forced omissions next week, but I tell you what... all three of them played bloody good football today. Maric's pressure and nimble movement was great, Aussie's forward pressure phenomenal and Bail has some great composure.

As for Paul Johnson... please stick with him, Bails. Jamar will thank you a lot :)

cannot see wonna or bail getting dropped

The best thing about our forward line coming together is we can play Sylvia in the midfield. You look at all his good games he has spent more time in the midfield then forward.

In the first and second quarter Sydney dropped players behind the ball, Bailey played man on man, I remember on centre bounce I looked up there would have been 9 Sydney players in our forward line and everyone had a Melbourne Player next to them, we kept attacking and it was great to see.

It was Goodes vs Melbourne today, he was the only thing standing between them and a 100+ humiliation. Whether or not he deserves Brownlow votes, i'd personally have Chip, Green, Sylvia, and Jamar all i front of him but he was a tough competitor against us.

i agree with that...that's the way i saw it too.

wonna played well but isn't fit enough...i hope he finishes the year off with the dees and has a big preseason.

But I take issue with two things mentioned here. First, Maric played quite well; it's absurd to pick him out as the weakest contributor. In fact in such a monumental win it's absurd to pick anyone out in this way. Every player did something special at some point or other, and Maric certainly did enough to make me think he'd be stiff to be dropped.

I shouldn't have singled him out as the weakest or the worst, maybe, but IMO he's clearly the one who makes way for McDonald, Moloney or Trengove. Of course if all 3 are fit then we have to find other players, and it's possible Watts will be rested if he indeed injured his quad/thigh/whichever muscle they were working on at three quarter time, but I stand by my belief that Maric wasn't as good as our other 21 yesterday. Including Watts. I thought his first quarter was really great.

Second, Goodes' performance is being overrated here. He kicked a couple of his 4 in the last 15 minutes, when they didn't count. So, he took a couple of marks over Morton; Morton also outplayed him on several occasions. The truth is that when Goodes went forward he was too strong, but when in the mid-field, Morton took half the points. Frawley's stats were easily the equal of Goodes', perhaps better, and he even kicked a goal. Sylvia also played a blinder, and Bartram the best I've seen from him, bar the couple of fluffed on-the-fulls.

Another observation: I think Melbourne's forward line looks better without Bate. He's just too slow, too one-paced, and doesn't have the turning circle. Not tall enough for CHF either.

Agree with both obvservations. Goodes was good, their best for sure, but not top 3 on the ground. Sylvia, Frawley, Green, Bruce I'd have in front of him.

And Bate's going to struggle to get back in the side.

I've never watched a game where the commentators were so clearly supporting one team. Clearly, they too thought it the best football we've played in years. Dennis Commetti actually said to Jim Stynes he will take out a membership today before going back to WA. Matthew Richardson pulled out a $50 for the Debt Demolition. At one stage a commentator said (to paraphrase) "this is the most entertaining one sided game I've seen this year". Made me enjoy the Swans Demolition even more.

On the radio before the game I heard Robert Walls say he checks his roster every week and smiles when he sees he's got a Melbourne game because he thinks we're one of the most exciting teams to watch and he enjoys watching the games we play and the talent we have to show. Hopefully this kind of good press, and a strong finish to the year, will give us some nice fixtures next year.

Edited by titan_uranus

Sylvia stepped up in the absence of Moloney, Junior et al and was simply amazing around the stoppages. He had a bit of the Judds around him, the way he'd gather the ball in a pack and then just accelerate away with it. I'd pencilled him in as a half-forward flank, but if he can maintain his fitness he's looking like he's finally figured out how to play (and dominate) in the midfield. More of the same please, Col!

Frawley began on Jetta (that chase was awesome!) and moved at different stages onto White and Pike when he rested up forward. That says it all really, his versatility is gonna make him one of the most valuable defenders in the league, if he ain't already.

I could keep going and write a paragraph on every player that was out there yesterday, but I'll restrict it to those two and simply agree with the OP ... that was the best footy we've played in years, by a fair margin.

GO DEES!!!

Ought to be worth mentioning that that was the WORST loss Roos's Swans had ever suffered. That and our accumulated loss to ladder leaders is ONE point !!

we are on the verge of playing consistent confident footy.. not hot and cold :)

We haven't played that well in 5 years I'd say. The last time we played anything nearly as good would have been Rd 3, 2005 when we absolutely torched the Cats under lights on a Friday night. Unfortunately that 2005 season fell away rapidly in the back but the thing about yesterday's performance is that it's a sign of things to come!!

ps. Watched the replay last night and loved Bruce McAvaney's work, it was as if he was enjoying the game as much as us diehards!

We've hit some form - beat Brisbane next week and Hawthorn should be worried.

The fire's become an inferno now

"In Soviet Russia, flags will win Melbourne" hahahahaha WTF?! For some reason I can't stop laughing at this... Kids! We played on at every cost and hit targets. Everyone put in. Hawthorn should be worried but they can handle themselves unfortunately..

Next week danger game. You heard it from me first. If i'm wrong obviously I won't be bringing it up, and I refuse to engage in conversation with anyone who wishes to task me on it. That's just how i'm gonna "roll"

What an amazing game. This is why I love football and MFC. When Jurrah kicked a goal in the pocket and Bruce Mcavaney said "THE DEES ARE GONNA BE SOMETHING" in such a strong voice and high point in the game I felt an amazing feeling and rush, it was a beautiful call by Mcavaney. That game itself makes all these years of anger, sadness and constant bagging from opposition supporters worth while. To be honest I do not expect us to play like that again for a while but boy oh boy we are in for something in years to come. Sylvia's body strength in the hips today was on par with chapman. Bartram played an amazing game and looked like Mr whelan himself. I hope people realise what we have on our hands in Jordan Mckenzie, this kid is going to be a MFC great, mark my words. I could go on for ages but these are the game you need to soak up and enjoy beacuse the ride has finally started, we have just tipped into the era of MFC ;)

Am the first to put my hand up and apologise to Jordie. Think I posted on here after round 1 that he would struggle in the big league, and how wrong have I been!!!

Now that I am an official member of the J McKenzie Fan Club...

This kid has the ability to be as good, if not better than Cameron Ling. I see a lot of Lingy in Jordie - more than just the lovely red locks upon the top of his dome. What he has over Ling is pace.

This was the first game in 5 years that I have been at the ground when we have won. I have been living in Qld for the past 4 years, and will again turn up to the Gabba wearing my colours, copping abuse from the crowd, and hopefully this time seeing the boys win!

It was even more special for me yesterday as I took my parents for a day out (all of us red & blue blooded), as my father is facing some health challenges at the moment. It gave him great delight to belt out the song at the end of the game, and just to see that smile on his face reappear after a couple of months of it missing was a big enough buzz for me. The fact that I was at the 'G and the MFC smashed another team just topped it off.

Still be patient Demon supporters. Incosistency may come. Don't jump off and bag our boys if it does. Who knows, it may not, maybe we have a team that wont stand for that. I sure know we have a Coach and a President that will continue to steer this Club in the right direction over the coming decade. If there are games when they don't meet our expectations, I will look to Bailey and Stynes for reassurance as I know they will deliver it.

Go Demons.

Some of you on here will know that I am good friends with Juddy.

This morning Juddy called me to talk about the Dees. He said he could not take his eyes off the tv. That Melbourne's first 3 quarters were the best he had seen from any team all year. That it was amazing how so many of Melbournes players could have a day out at the same time. How exciting our style of game is. That it must be a fantastic time to be a Melbourne supporter.

He has never called me to talk about football before.

Clearly he still has a soft spot for the Dees, but before someone makes comment. No he is not about to defect in late career and yes he did make the right choice for both Melbourne and himself going to Carlton.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Clearly he still has a soft spot for the Dees, but before someone makes comment. No he is not about to defect in late career and yes he did make the right choice for both Melbourne and himself going to Carlton.

Shame. He could help Casey win a couple of flags. B)

Some of you on here will know that I am good friends with Juddy.

yes he did make the right choice for both Melbourne and himself going to Carlton.

Considering they are moving slowly down the ladder and we are moving up, I am not so sure that is actually the case.

Guest DeesPower

What amazes me about this thread, on the day after our favourite football team has put on the most amazing performance in ten years, the seminal thread about the excellence of the game has descended into an argument about whether Adam Goodes should get Brownlow votes or not. Staggering!!

For me, i have not had such an enjoyable Sunday afternoon for as long as I can remember. The team was sensational, and the wonderful thing is it was one of those rare moments that you can say with near certainty that you can see the future played out before you. It is going to be a great next ten years.

Go Dees!!