The best football we've played in years

titan_uranus

The players looked pumped from the start, and the tackled with the ferocity that made us such an attractive team to watch in the earlier rounds.

Sylvia set the tone there, my criticism of him is that too often gets caught standing back and watching but today he was in and under and his tackling was brilliant.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazing game. This is why I love football and MFC. When Jurrah kicked a goal in the pocket and Bruce Mcavaney said "THE DEES ARE GONNA BE SOMETHING" in such a strong voice and high point in the game I felt an amazing feeling and rush, it was a beautiful call by Mcavaney. That game itself makes all these years of anger, sadness and constant bagging from opposition supporters worth while. To be honest I do not expect us to play like that again for a while but boy oh boy we are in for something in years to come. Sylvia's body strength in the hips today was on par with chapman. Bartram played an amazing game and looked like Mr whelan himself. I hope people realise what we have on our hands in Jordan Mckenzie, this kid is going to be a MFC great, mark my words. I could go on for ages but these are the game you need to soak up and enjoy beacuse the ride has finally started, we have just tipped into the era of MFC ;)

A good observation about Slyvia there. I know people have talked about Tapscott being a future Chapman-style player in a Premiership side for MFC, but to me Slyvia is already our equivalent of Chapman. Lets hope he get his chance in a GF one day too...

Maric was the worst for a while before Watts overtook him.

Morton was destroyed by Goodes, don't let his numbers fool you.

At the risk of turning this into yet another Jack Watts thread, he did hurt his thigh in the third and had to get some strapping done. He kept talking to the trainer about it.

Everyone played their part today. I thought Jones were down on numbers, but his two goals were very good. Maric did some very nice things, but he spent too much of the game without an opponent which is a worry. Still, he will play next week and it was a pretty good performance from someone who has not played in a year.

Aussie was huge, and I don't just mean his backside :)

really harsh n bad call on maric, first game of the year n showed a lot today, will n deserves a game next week, watch the game again if u think otherwise

I was overseas for a couple of months, and have only seen the wins against Essendon and Sydney since returning. I agree that today's win was the best for a very long time, and the Dees looked fast and committed.

But I take issue with two things mentioned here. First, Maric played quite well; it's absurd to pick him out as the weakest contributor. In fact in such a monumental win it's absurd to pick anyone out in this way. Every player did something special at some point or other, and Maric certainly did enough to make me think he'd be stiff to be dropped.

Second, Goodes' performance is being overrated here. He kicked a couple of his 4 in the last 15 minutes, when they didn't count. So, he took a couple of marks over Morton; Morton also outplayed him on several occasions. The truth is that when Goodes went forward he was too strong, but when in the mid-field, Morton took half the points. Frawley's stats were easily the equal of Goodes', perhaps better, and he even kicked a goal. Sylvia also played a blinder, and Bartram the best I've seen from him, bar the couple of fluffed on-the-fulls.

Another observation: I think Melbourne's forward line looks better without Bate. He's just too slow, too one-paced, and doesn't have the turning circle. Not tall enough for CHF either.

I'm so excited! This is the game that proves the last three years have been worth it. Bailey & the rest of the football department deserve our unreserved appreciation! Watts is developing beautifully. Jordie is an incredible bonus. The forward line functions when everyone is there. The backline is rock solid. There is Petterd, Trengove, Grimes, Gysberts, Moloney, Tapscott, Viney (yes. that's into the future but that's where I'm looking).

We still need to get 50 games into lots of players. There will be at least 1-2 bumps on the road. But we just saw the 2013 premiership side +/- a few players.

This 50yo success-starved supporter is going to enjoy the ride

The best game I can recall seeing the Dees play - ever. Big call i know, but blame a fading memory and many years in the wilderness where I did not go and see them play in person.

Best for all round the ground efforts, tackling pressure, not being reliant on a few stars as we have had to do in the past, running, attacking through the middle, chasing hard (Chip & Watts down the outer wing), playing on, taking chances, running into goal, piling on the scoreboard pressure from the first minute or two, seeing young players continue to lift a notch (Morton, Watts, Bartram, Jordie, Bennell, Wonna), seeing some lambasted players step up (PJ, Bartram, Watts for a while there), seeing another new one on the track in Maric (acquitted himself pretty well for 1st game this year I thought), shutting down key opponents, kicking straight, getting a good run from the umpires.....it goes on and on and on.

So many players got applause as they ran to the bench today - a mark of how widely the boys spread the effort.

Bono sang it right: "It's a beautiful day!"

Has anyone got a link to Melb team song or Dean's post match press conference. Did not hear either on the radio during the lovely drive home from the G.

I was hoping to see some Debt Demolition volunteers outside the gates on the way out, but didn't see any at Gate 3. Thought it would be a great time to put the hand out for more donations. Such is the power of a strong win.

We've hit some form - beat Brisbane next week and Hawthorn should be worried.

The fire's become an inferno now

Maric's speed was very good today, he got in the clear & burned off his opponent a few times. Frankly, he was better than I thought he'd be, and he had a number of "almost-but-not-quite" moments today so when he sharpens up with more games he's got a lot of improvement to come. Good to see Bailey giving him a talking-to at the end after he gave away the last goal.

Speaking of which, I thought Bailey being down at ground level went well. TV showed him at various times talking to Watts, Scully & Maric when they came off. So who would have been up high doing the strategy & match-ups etc?

Can't think of a match where we've played that well from start to finish (though we turned off a bit in the fourth, understandably given we've got a 6 day break then a trip to Brisbane).

It is Sydney's biggest loss under Paul Roos.

Really, and this isn't a bagging or anything, but Maric would be the only player who didn't really play well. The other 21 really had good games and it will be tough to find room for McDonald, Trengove and Moloney who could all be fit. Heck, even PJ played well.

Can't see Warnock or Bate getting back anytime soon.

Great team effort today...the promise of things to come.

Suggest you must have been watching a different game I thought that Maric played quite a good game considering it was his first senior game for quite a while and he definitely deserves a crack next week against Brisbane and the best part is I will be there watching it live. So go there mighty Dees and smach those Lions

I liked how Bailey left Morton on him all day. Good learning opportunity. Didn't really disgrace himself either.

If today's game only taught Morton one thing, i hope it showed him how hard he needs to work in the gym in the coming pre season

Best win I can remember since 2002(i think???) up in Brisbane when we came from way behind and Neitz kicked a big bag.

Best 1st quarter I can remember us playing. Forward line looked so fast and very mobile. My only disappointment came when Green didn't get to kick a PB 6th goal after getting his 5th so early on. Heaps of highlights today but the 2 that stood out for me were Wonna kicking his goal from near the behind post & Frawley's chase on Jetta forcing him to pull up and turn it over.

I've never watched a game where the commentators were so clearly supporting one team. Clearly, they too thought it the best football we've played in years. Dennis Commetti actually said to Jim Stynes he will take out a membership today before going back to WA. Matthew Richardson pulled out a $50 for the Debt Demolition. At one stage a commentator said (to paraphrase) "this is the most entertaining one sided game I've seen this year". Made me enjoy the Swans Demolition even more.

What a Fantastic Team Performance,

But i cant help not mentioning our forwards as ts been a long time since we had a forward line that looks so dangerous as they did today.

They are keeping Green forward which is pleasing, hes great lead and mark and our most reliable goal kicker.

Then you have Jurrah, Wona, Watts plus a mixture of Bennell, Dunn, Maric.

Still have Bate and a fit Petterd will slot straight back in.

Maric was the worst for a while before Watts overtook him.

Morton was destroyed by Goodies, don't let his numbers fool you.

who do you support it was a good win, some people are never happy, did you see any demon player play well. Maric played alright did not turn it over,watts was good too only did good things, goodies did not destroy Morton, i think it was a even between goodies and Morton, goodies looked good because, its easy to look good when the other 21 players in your team played very badly,If goodies did not do something good, then no one else did any thing.

Half of Goodes' six scoring shots came in junk time - once we had stretched the margin to 91 points (?). Cale can consider that a victory

An awesome performance today. Senior players are all well and truly along for the ride and the kids are a joy to watch, easily the best developing talent I've seen for MFC in my 35 years.

Col Syliva, simply A grade at his best.