My gripe

H_T

I stated the following quote in another thread on these boards and thought it could do with it's own thread as I don't want it to detract from the other thread(s) topic of coversation.

Whilst I can't confirm who wore what, I can't understand (in general) why some footballer's elect to go for the moulded on saturated grounds. I know the sun was out yesterday at AAMI, but the 3-4 days prior to that were wet.

OBSERVATION:

As for losing his feet. Like Watts, I saw Scully go to ground along with a few others from Melbourne. I'm not certain whether the players wore screw ins or moulded, but I know Adelaide had wet weather in the four days proceeding yesterday's game. This is a big bug bear of mine. The players (and coaching staff for that matter) should know a hell of alot better with regard to the conditions of the ground. They were slipping over as if they were playing on an ice skating rink yesterday. Making wrong decisions like these are 1/costly and 2/unforgiveable !

Whilst I can't confirm who wore what, I can't understand (in general) why some footballer's elect to go for the moulded on saturated grounds. I know the sun was out yesterday at AAMI, but the 3-4 days prior to that were wet.

Seems such a simple & obvious thing. And if players are slipping & sliding all over the place in the first quarter, surely they can change to more suitable boots at 1/4 time? This has been mentioned for a few weeks now.

HT, at least it is good to see that a thread is started to make the point rather than the attacks on one players ability to keep their feet. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a player in a one on one go to ground and the ball continually swept away, it is more annoying IMO than when opposition break through easy tackles.

I expect to see more of the same at that atrocious Docklands stadium this week.....

Im not sure if stops are the answer at the Dome as its supposedly 'hard' under foot..its just that the whole thing moves. Stops ( real ones i.e screw ins ) must surely be 'required' not optional on a soggy pitch...cant be that hard to figure out surely

The issue players have with non-molded boots are the comfort factor. They are a bloody horrible boot to wear.

It was discussed on Saturday Night's coverage of Sydney v Pies. Heath Shaw slipped over probably 6 times and a few at crucial times, because of the boots he was wearing. Sydney had been saturated with rain, and the grass on the ground was a bit longer than usual, yet he wore moulded boots.

Leigh Colbert was speaking and said in todays game, a midfielder will never wear non-moulded boots. Mainly due to the fact they destroy your feet with the amount of ground a midfielder covers. They are just far too uncomfortable.

Speaking to Shaw after the game, he said players might wear non-moulded about 2 times a year, and generally it is only the defenders who wear them because a slip in the defensive 50 is more costly than other places on the ground.

I will accept a few slips during the game if it means being able to run further, harder, for longer, and have no negative effects the following week due to your feet being butchered by a pair of cleats.

The issue players have with non-molded boots are the comfort factor. They are a bloody horrible boot to wear.

It was discussed on Saturday Night's coverage of Sydney v Pies. Heath Shaw slipped over probably 6 times and a few at crucial times, because of the boots he was wearing. Sydney had been saturated with rain, and the grass on the ground was a bit longer than usual, yet he wore moulded boots.

Leigh Colbert was speaking and said in todays game, a midfielder will never wear non-moulded boots. Mainly due to the fact they destroy your feet with the amount of ground a midfielder covers. They are just far too uncomfortable.

Speaking to Shaw after the game, he said players might wear non-moulded about 2 times a year, and generally it is only the defenders who wear them because a slip in the defensive 50 is more costly than other places on the ground.

I will accept a few slips during the game if it means being able to run further, harder, for longer, and have no negative effects the following week due to your feet being butchered by a pair of cleats.

Surely if that is the case it is up to the manufacturer to produce a moulded soul boot with better traction? Why aren't clubs working with their boot sponsors to produce a moulded soul boot that will grip in terrible conditions and still be wearable with the amount of running players do? Surely it can't be that hard to make one with longer spikes?

Also, listening to Mark Ricciuto on the radio he acknowledged that the ground appeared better than what it was. The locals knew it was too soft under foot but for obvious reasons didn't let MFC know.

It was widespread across the team today and something i'm sure Bailey and co will have addressed.

I would have thought wirh some parts of Etihad, AAMI and Gabba this year you could have worn Everest ioe shoes and still would have slipped.

Given how in some cases a clod of soil is dislodged about the size of a large dinner plate and that players are moving and changing direction at great speed, the stops or moulded debate is neither here nor there.

Interesting, thanks for that. It answers the questions I was wondering too.

I saw the title of this thread before openening it I immediately thought of how many times I saw Scully and Watts slip over during the game. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who noticed.

I'd suggest and argue that it would be just as costly to slip in other places on a heavy ground, as it is in the defensive 50m in today's game, where quick transition and/or run & carry can be just as damaging resulting in a goal.

Thanks for the input ox.

I'd suggest and argue that it would be just as costly to slip in other places on a heavy ground, as it is in the defensive 50m in today's game, where quick transition and/or run & carry can be just as damaging resulting in a goal.

Thanks for the input ox.

I agree with that too HT, just stating what Shaw said.

It frustrates everybody to see a player slip when they have a good run at the ball, or when trying to turn and avoid an opponent.

It would not be something regularly considered by players I would suggest, due to the generally good condition of our grounds. It is expected now by players that they will be able to hold their feet as it is what they have become accustomed too. However, with the soaking all over the country on the past weekend, it was very evident in the games on Friday, Saturday and ours on Sunday.

Interesting, thanks for that. It answers the questions I was wondering too.

I saw the title of this thread before openening it I immediately thought of how many times I saw Scully and Watts slip over during the game. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who noticed.

I went to the Casey vs Williamstown game a couple of weeks ago.

Casey players seemed to be slipping over a lot more than the Willy players.

In that game Casey got thrashed. I wonder if you make your own luck in this situation.

The team that is second to the ball or trying to change direction when tackling falls more because the leading team is not changing direction as often.

On Sunday we were constantly second to the action or chasing, is that the main problem!

so in the main...what were the crows wearing ??

They need to toughen up then. I'm sure wearing screw ins would not hurt their poor little feet too much.

Sooks.

I think that as professional athletes, anything that protects their 'assets' (i.e. their feet), enabling them longevity in the short and long term is a good thing.

I know that sounds a bit Wank Factor 100, but I think telling professional athletes to toughen up instead of looking after themselves belongs in the 1970s.

Realise that non-moulded are issues for players.

With every other piece of sports science that plays are part with clubs looking for that extra inch in advantage it is amazing that the boots haven not really changed over time.

Are Blades still worn these days at all? Not that I am suggesting that they are any better as I wouldn't really know.

Great point by Old Dee!! It does seem to ring true that even being a step behind for the ball then you are dictated to by your opponents next move, especially if they take possession.. Good Call

so in the main...what were the crows wearing ??

Good question, fair question, most puzzling and intriguing question BB (shut up Hutchy !), I wouldn't have the faintest. Fwiw, I can't recall many Crows slip, unlike the Dees. But ! This provided by grandson of a gun, might point us in the right direction for knowledge...: (or it might not)

Also, listening to Mark Ricciuto on the radio he acknowledged that the ground appeared better than what it was. The locals knew it was too soft under foot but for obvious reasons didn't let MFC know.

It was widespread across the team today and something i'm sure Bailey and co will have addressed.

Still a pre-walk of the ground and during the warm up might have given the players some clues, surely.

I know that moulded are the more preferred in the main these days (and have been for sometime now) due to the state of the grounds the players play on these days, but I'll maintain that days and situations like these (heavy grounds) can be telling in the state of play if the appropriate footwear is not worn.

I think that as professional athletes, anything that protects their 'assets' (i.e. their feet), enabling them longevity in the short and long term is a good thing.

I know that sounds a bit [censored] Factor 100, but I think telling professional athletes to toughen up instead of looking after themselves belongs in the 1970s.

I agree, I play local footy and its all moulds. I bought new boots at the start of this season and I tried on both. I equat it to being like wearing runners (moulds) or dress shoes with eight plugs pushing on the bottom of your feet (screw-ins). The choice was easy.

I agree, I play local footy and its all moulds. I bought new boots at the start of this season and I tried on both. I equat it to being like wearing runners (moulds) or dress shoes with eight plugs pushing on the bottom of your feet (screw-ins). The choice was easy.

How have you found the grounds though Steamin ? Pretty good ? have you played on any real soggy grounds of note, yet ?

How have you found the grounds though Steamin ? Pretty good ? have you played on any real soggy grounds of note, yet ?

Played on more hard (pretty dusty) grounds. Our home ground Merv Hughes Oval is always damp but I've never played thinking that screw ins would have made a difference, Having said that we are moving at about half the pace and even less in the skill catagory.

The pace in which AFL is played and the K'S players are running they are left with very little choice.

Played on more hard (pretty dusty) grounds. Our home ground Merv Hughes Oval is always damp but I've never played thinking that screw ins would have made a difference, Having said that we are moving at about half the pace and even less in the skill catagory.

The pace in which AFL is played and the K'S players are running they are left with very little choice.

Not those horrible magpies of Parkside steamin?!

Haven't played there during the winter, but it's not bad in the Summer playing cricket. And yes, I wore the spikes. B)

Not those horrible magpies of Parkside steamin?!

Yeah, Its breaks my heart every week to pull on that jumper, Its even harder when the coach say 'PLAY FOR THE JUMPER'. It's even worse when we win It's the Collingwood song but with Parkside in place of Collingwood.

Most of our players were able to keep their feet it seems as if Watts, Trengove and Scully fall over several times every week. I understand what Ox said above but why is it only some of the players; is it an age and experience thing? I've lost count of the times I've seen Trengove scrambling along the ground trying to regain his feet and Jack Watts just falling over like he was on an ice rink with leather soled shoes. He in particular has put himself out of the contest so many times and a couple on the weekend cost us a shot on goal.

I actually yelled at the TV so loud at one stage yesterday I frightened my grand son, it is so frustrating seeing Watts lying prostrate on the ground while the defenders casually run the ball out of defence.

Yeah, Its breaks my heart every week to pull on that jumper, Its even harder when the coach say 'PLAY FOR THE JUMPER'. It's even worse when we win It's the Collingwood song but with Parkside in place of Collingwood.

I used to play for Spotswood many years ago. I remember us being chased out of that place one day when steel bars were produced after an all in started.

Scary stuff it was....even worse we were 5 goals up and forfeited the result!

That was a good 15 years ago now so I assume things have change a bit since then? Long before all the changes were made to the oval there.