Sydney Swans

Playfair, Henry ® 67 27yr 4mth 198cm 97kg Forward

West Coast Eagles

Kennedy, Joshua 57 22yr 9mth 196cm 99kg Forwar

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we just draft one of the strong group of key position forwards coming through the draft this year rather than pick up someone who hasn't reached great heights at their current team. We've already got forwards at the 192/193cm range in bate and dunn anyway.

I say we just draft one of the strong group of key position forwards coming through the draft this year rather than pick up someone who hasn't reached great heights at their current team. We've already got forwards at the 192/193cm range in bate and dunn anyway.

I didn't say anything about using our early picks. But a wish list & stranger things have happened, maybe even trading, etc.

There's No way I'd give up early picks. You might notice that some are near the end of their careers so would come cheap & would give valuable experience to the list.

Is Jessie White at the Swans not available?

There's many more available but some I didn't bother with because there seemed little chance. Eg: where a team doesn't have many talls on their list, they'd offer little, slim chance to get anything.

There was a rumor mentioned the other day, so I delved into the Lists of forwards to see what I could find.

Here's a hint.

Every team in the league needs key forwards.

To get a good one across (like Kennedy or Jesse White) would cost of an arm an a leg.

Any Key position forward that is discarded by an opposition club must be absolutely pathetic, since we know that key forwards are given every chance to succeed (ahem Miller, Lonergan etc).

The only way to get one is to draft.

Luckily we've drafted Morton, Watts, Bate who could be 3 KP forwards + Jurrah, Pettard, Green medium forwads

Here's one for you:

Aaron Cornelius from Brisbane, listed at 192cm. Pick 57 of the 2008 draft from Tassie. Might want to come somewhere closer to home and where he can get a game instead of being stuck behind Fev and Brown. Is definitely a goal kicker who could make it as a full forward with Watts and medium forward around him.

Here's some food for thought.

Offer up Miller to GC17 for a pick.

If Petterd goes too then perhaps a highish first rounder is on the cards for Miller/Petterd together.

Regardless of anything else, use our first pick and any subsequent acquired pick on tall/strong KPP.

Bottom line the first pick will likely go for a tall forward anyway and if the above trade takes place we don't lose anything by taking a risk with another tall. We have a plethora of mediums and smalls, midfielders and backs.

Not that i have any idea who is in the upcoming draft but there have been mentions that there are some good KPP prospects.

Fingers crossed.

Guest The Boss

What makes you think that GC17 would even want Miller in a trade? And Gold Coast would not give up a first round selection for Petterd & Miller, unless their recruiter has rocks in their head. Even if Petterd goes to GC17 next year, I think it is realistic that the AFL will give us a future 3rd round selection as compensation.

Out of that list abve the only one I'd want in a MFC jumper is Kennedy, but there is no way West Coast will let him go cheaply. You need to offer quality to get quality.

Given we're still likely to finish somewhere near the bottom four, we may still have a pick in the top ten which could surely be used on a key forward. If any of the ?good" players you've listed does become available, they're likely to end up at GC17 anyway aren't they?

Given we're still likely to finish somewhere near the bottom four, we may still have a pick in the top ten which could surely be used on a key forward. If any of the ?good" players you've listed does become available, they're likely to end up at GC17 anyway aren't they?

Most clubs take best available at their pick and that usually means mids. Look at this years draft for an example. From memory only one tall forward, Butcher, was taken in first dozen picks. We therefore should get a crack at a key forward with first and second picks.

I still say that I would be using a later pick on a developed player from VFL, SANFL etc who could fill a role for a few years until younger key forwards on the list are physically ready. There are more Podsiadly's out there.

I think we should have a real look at the VFL and other leagues- Port Melb have 2 worth a look & we have Simpson & McDonald at Casey.

The 2 at Port are Callum Sinclair - Port Melbourne

Adrian Bonaddio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Callum Sinclair

D.O.B.: 23 Sep 1989

Height (cm): 200

Weight (cm): 95

Name: Adrian Bonaddio

D.O.B.: 26 May 1986

Height (cm): 195

Weight (cm): 112

Previous Club(s): Adelaide / Port Melbourne

Edited by jayceebee31

Ryan Murphy as i have said before would be cheap is a good Mark and Kick for goal cant get a game with Freo as he and Pav dont get along. He has told the club that he wants a trade or he is leaving anyway. His from my hometown in Gippsland and keen too come home. Deffinetly one too look at!

I didn't say anything about using our early picks. But a wish list & stranger things have happened, maybe even trading, etc.

There's No way I'd give up early picks. You might notice that some are near the end of their careers so would come cheap & would give valuable experience to the list.

I guess my preference is this... we don't trade for any veteran key position players who have done little in their AFL career to date. The list that you have provided doesn't excite me much at all. Maybe i'm just weary of doing exactly what we tried to do after the 2000 grand final, that is trade away draft picks (regardless of which round they are) for veterans.

It didn't work out last time, and i'm not sure it'd work out again. I'd rather pick them up through the rookie draft or pre-season draft just like how we got MacDonald.

The fact that we managed to get lucky with guys like fitzpatrick and gawn late in the draft last makes me feel less inclined to trade late picks as there's obviously still opportunities to get quality players late in the draft.

It's my first post here, looking forward to a very good blast here.

Anyway... I'd kill to have Robertson playing up forward at the moment. He isn't really the size for a full forward but he did kick 70 goals in 2005 and he led our goalkicking last year as well. Thought we made the wrong call getting rid of him considering the situation now.

I should add we should've taken Sautner all those years ago when he was still young. Bit late to take him now though... :mellow:

Edited by tasmanlvr

What makes you think that GC17 would even want Miller in a trade? And Gold Coast would not give up a first round selection for Petterd & Miller, unless their recruiter has rocks in their head. Even if Petterd goes to GC17 next year, I think it is realistic that the AFL will give us a future 3rd round selection as compensation.

Out of that list abve the only one I'd want in a MFC jumper is Kennedy, but there is no way West Coast will let him go cheaply. You need to offer quality to get quality.

There's no secret GC17 want older players to balance out the youth- if they're getting smashed in VFL imagine what the AFL teams will do to them if they don't get some mature bodies in there.

Agree re Petterd but think the pick will come from GC17's allocation of draft picks this year.

None of that is saying GC17 actually want him but hey we can live in hope can't we??????

You are right re the Key forwards mentioned and i don't believe MFC would be stupid enough to trade away early picks for any of them.

We already have Jurrah. We are developing Watts and Fitzpatrick. We can try one of our tallish backs (Rivers, Garland) as a tall forward. The only time we need to sell our grandmother for a tall forward is in 2013, if those options haven't turned out well. Sure, we might find something in the next two drafts, but GC17 and then GWS will have picked those over, first as 17yos and then as 18yos, so don't hold your breath. Any tall we draft in 2012 won't be ready until 2015 (talls take longer to develop).

We have a backline. We have a midfield that just needs more games and harder, bigger bodies. We have small and midsized forwards. We have the potential structure of a tall forward line.

What we are desperately short of is a ruck division. What would we look like if Jamar got injured? Or got lured away by GC17 or GWS? PJ is just not cutting the mustard. Meesen is probably ending his career this year. Gawn is still injured and hasn't got onto the park yet. And he is only 18 and hasn't even started his development. Spencer is at least playing, but won't be effective until he is 22 or so (2012). Don't even mention Miller, Dunn, Sylvia or Martin. They are an embarrassment when they take 5 minutes to rest Jamar.

If you want to look for a tall, look for a mature bodied ruckman. May not even play in the ones if Jamar stays and stays fit, but we need another one until Spencer and/or Gawn are ready for action. Think in terms of the role Meesen would have played if he hadn't been injured. Or that PJ would be playing if he had developed better.

I guess my preference is this... we don't trade for any veteran key position players who have done little in their AFL career to date. The list that you have provided doesn't excite me much at all. Maybe i'm just weary of doing exactly what we tried to do after the 2000 grand final, that is trade away draft picks (regardless of which round they are) for veterans.

It didn't work out last time, and i'm not sure it'd work out again. I'd rather pick them up through the rookie draft or pre-season draft just like how we got MacDonald.

The fact that we managed to get lucky with guys like fitzpatrick and gawn late in the draft last makes me feel less inclined to trade late picks as there's obviously still opportunities to get quality players late in the draft.

I agree with your sentiments regarding Draft picks & trading for "hacks". Thats not what I want, & those I've listed is not any recommendation from me, but rather Players that have at least some games of experience, (some maturity) to start some discussion on this topic.

I know really nothing of the majority on that list other than my criterior of a certain size & weight plus at least some games experience. The rumour suggested an established tall forward, so I thought I'd kick off some discussion with a bit of a search through the lists to see if I could see any interesting possibilities.

With that there are some postors who would have some info on at least some of these players.

I think if we took an established footballer, of AFL potential (see Podsziadly), there may be some interesting discussion.

There's a tall kid at Geelong who hasn't played a game. Mitch Brown. 195cms. Slight build but good mark. He was a first round draft pick in 2008. played with Jack Watts at Sandringham Dragons.

Also, what about Matt Little for Williamstown? Looked v good today against the scorpions. He's a true forward who can kick a goal.

Also, what about Matt Little for Williamstown? Looked v good today against the scorpions. He's a true forward who can kick a goal.

The resident seagulls looked good on the ground against Casey.

Its salad days for forwards when you win so easily by 20 goals.

Not to mention just last week Bailey himself said both Garland and Frawley are capable of playing forward...

Every defender is capable of playing forward. They just walk to the opposite end of the ground and .....

Bailey throwaway comment on the flossed footy show is no validation of commitment or intention. I would not be putting any weight on it.

But if you repeat it often enough on this site it becomes a "fact".

Here's some food for thought.

Offer up Miller to GC17 for a pick.

If Petterd goes too then perhaps a highish first rounder is on the cards for Miller/Petterd together.

Regardless of anything else, use our first pick and any subsequent acquired pick on tall/strong KPP.

Bottom line the first pick will likely go for a tall forward anyway and if the above trade takes place we don't lose anything by taking a risk with another tall. We have a plethora of mediums and smalls, midfielders and backs.

Not that i have any idea who is in the upcoming draft but there have been mentions that there are some good KPP prospects.

Fingers crossed.

Confucius Says - "2 medium quality players does not a high draft pick make"

The resident seagulls looked good on the ground against Casey. LOL..

Its salad days for forwards when you win so easily by 20 goals.

Every defender is capable of playing forward. They just walk to the opposite end of the ground and .....

Bailey throwaway comment on the flossed footy show is no validation of commitment or intention. I would not be putting any weight on it.

But if you repeat it often enough on this site it becomes a "fact".

Casey have been Due, for a loss for a little while. Pity it was there, with a weakened side.

We'll see them next time with a much stronger resolve & team.