Shaun Hampson

todd

There has been a lot of talk that Melbourne is interested in getting another ruckman in this yea trade period and they would really like to get Shaun Hampson.

They are going to get rid of Paul Johnson and John Messon at the end of the year and really want a good ruckman/forward to help Jamar.

22 Shaun Hampson

Details

Number 22

Height 201cm

Weight 100kg

DOB 21-03-1988

Debut Rd 21 2007

Games Goals

2010 0 2010 0

Career 27 Career 5

Dreamteam Points

2010 0

Bio

Stats

News & Video

Guernsey Number

The athletic ruckman forced his way into the side in round seven and missed only two games because of injury from then on. Needs to improve his marking and disposal, but showed promising signs with his ruckwork and consistency. A convert from soccer, he has had only five full seasons of football. Has a great leap, covers the ground well and is exceptionally quick for his height.

Draft History

2006 NAB AFL Draft priority selection (Carlton) No. 17 overall.

First Game for Carlton

Round 21 2007 v Kangaroos, The Dome

Carlton Player Number

1106th player to represent the Carlton Football Club.

I actually think Hampson would be a great pick up.

People will probably get up in arms saying we don't want someone who can't start somewhere else but he is stuck at the moment and could definately be a great 2nd ruckman.

And where does he fit onto our list???

As it is we're going to be struggling to drop the required 3 players.

The only ones whose papers I have stamped so far are Bell & Johnson. We still need to find a 3rd to move on and even then those 3 spots are filled by elevating McKenzie & Spencer and a Rnd 1 draft pick.

We've grown accustomed to big list turnover for the last few years, I think we'll be seeing extremely little this year outside of the rookie list. I'm expecting to see a full 6 player turnover there and to completely re-stock in this year's rookie draft.

I actually think Hampson would be a great pick up.

People will probably get up in arms saying we don't want someone who can't start somewhere else but he is stuck at the moment and could definately be a great 2nd ruckman.

apart from it being wayyyyyyyyyyyy too early to discuss trading, he would probably cost too much. I definitely wouldn't want to part with our first round draft pick (draft a KPF) and our 2nd pick wouldn't be not enough to get him. Then we also have to factor in the possibility of Carltank being so ticked off with the Gysberts for McLean trade (daylight robbery on our part), their asking price will be ridiculous.

Edited by Demon Disciple

It's too early to be talking about trades, price and spots on the list, but we could certainly do with more ruck options. As part of that Hampson is one I'd be happy to have. He's a combination of old school size and new age athleticism.

I highly doubt we would be in the race for him. More than likely we will use our 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and or Rookie draft to try and snare a Ruckman this seems to be the trend in AFL Drafting and there has been some good success

There has been a lot of talk that Melbourne is interested in getting another ruckman in this yea trade period and they would really like to get Shaun Hampson.

They are going to get rid of Paul Johnson and John Messon at the end of the year and really want a good ruckman/forward to help Jamar.

22 Shaun Hampson

Details

Number 22

Height 201cm

Weight 100kg

DOB 21-03-1988

Debut Rd 21 2007

Games Goals

2010 0 2010 0

Career 27 Career 5

Dreamteam Points

2010 0

Bio

Stats

News & Video

Guernsey Number

The athletic ruckman forced his way into the side in round seven and missed only two games because of injury from then on. Needs to improve his marking and disposal, but showed promising signs with his ruckwork and consistency. A convert from soccer, he has had only five full seasons of football. Has a great leap, covers the ground well and is exceptionally quick for his height.

Draft History

2006 NAB AFL Draft priority selection (Carlton) No. 17 overall.

First Game for Carlton

Round 21 2007 v Kangaroos, The Dome

Carlton Player Number

1106th player to represent the Carlton Football Club.

I'm glad to hear this rumour as he's the one I've been interested in. I liked what I saw of him last year with Carlton & thought then that he looked OK.

From what I hear he is very highly rated at Carlton and is regarded as having significant upside. Very athletic for his height and skills are developing. Has been injured for at least part of this year but is now playing for the Bullants. In short would not come cheap in a trade.

And where does he fit onto our list???

As it is we're going to be struggling to drop the required 3 players.

If the club is genuinely interested in him then they'll find a way to make him fit. Short of an extra delisting -- which will be tricky given that we need a minimum of 5 as it is -- the most obvious way is to trade a player in return, with the obligatory trading of picks to make the trade "equal".

Carlton's asking price will be a bigger problem than space on the list. When a player is really sought after ("reluctant sale") as would be the case here, the trades tend to favour the seller. I think the cost would be high, but I'd be interested in exploring the possibility nonetheless.

Carlton's asking price will be a bigger problem than space on the list. When a player is really sought after ("reluctant sale") as would be the case here, the trades tend to favour the seller. I think the cost would be high, but I'd be interested in exploring the possibility nonetheless.

Depends where he is at contract wise. If he's had 2 x 2yr contracts, he's out of contract at the end of 2010. Gold Coast could well be interested as well.

Depends where he is at contract wise. If he's had 2 x 2yr contracts, he's out of contract at the end of 2010. Gold Coast could well be interested as well.

Indeed, but he'd need to be itching to get out for being out of contract to mean anything. And I don't think we're going to be in any position to attempt to shaft Carlton with the draft this year. It will be "fair" price or he stays put.

And you're right, I hadn't considered the Gold Coast factor. They would be very interested I reckon. That makes any "hardball" negotiations completely moot really.

What crud. Do you make this stuff up yourself?

Not one truth to any one of your statements.

Are you Hampson's agent?

Jamar, Gawn, Fitzpatrick. That is where their focus will be.

I guarantee you that the first draft pick will not be traded and therefore Melbourne will be doing very little at the trade table. Remember we are building for serious flag tilts from 2013 onwards- that's when you trade for where you have deficiencies, not while you are building.

meeson??? surely he can not be kept on the list after this season

He is on the rookie list deeflog. Inner demon said in his next bit that he expects to see a full turnover of the rookie list. I agree with him there. McKenzie obviously elevated, but I would like to hold Spencer there for 1 more year instead of elevating him. Anybody know if thats possible or if he has reached his maximum time allowed on the rookie list?

Jesse White and Rhys Stanley should be added to the list also in my opinion if we are actually after a ruckman/forward

Edited by ox_5_demons

Short of an extra delisting -- which will be tricky given that we need a minimum of 5 as it is -- the most obvious way is to trade a player in return, with the obligatory trading of picks to make the trade "equal".

The minimum is still three; rookie elevations count as use of a draft pick.

The minimum is still three; rookie elevations count as use of a draft pick.

Okay, but you'd still want three additional draft picks, because you need to keep your list turning over. If we only drafted one new face in the draft this year (again assuming the two rookie promotions) then Tim Harrington will get the sack for gross list mismanagement.

I'm very confident there won't be any less than 5 delistings.

Okay, but you'd still want three additional draft picks, because you need to keep your list turning over. If we only drafted one new face in the draft this year (again assuming the two rookie promotions) then Tim Harrington will get the sack for gross list mismanagement.

Probably agree 5 delistings. That allows McKenzie and Spenser to be upgraded and 3 draft picks. Seems reasonable.

If we keep taking the hardline on players we have the last few seasons, then if players aren't in our long term plans, then they will be delisted even if they still have something to offer at afl level (See Robbo, Wheatley and even Buckley last year).

I would have thought that the ones in trouble are

- PJ- we are desperately in search of a second ruckman, being forced to play Miller and Sylvia in the ruck. If we aren't willing to play him despite our dire need for a second ruckman proves he just isn't part of future plans. Only reason to keep him would be as depth in case Jamar goes down. I think the club rates Spenser and even Martin ahead of poor PJ.

- Miller- if we are taking a hard line, then we know that this guy is not part of our future plans. He is there purely to provide a contest until Jurrah, Pettard and Watts develop. Miller has been an interum player filling a need, but I feel that need might be over next year

- Bell- the guy has had injuries, but at 24 years old, if you haven't cemented a starting 22 place in the team, you don't deserve to be on an afl list. Certain delisting imo

- McNamara- If we're being honest, this guy is in trouble, even though he's very young. He is a tall defender, and Frawley, Garland, Rivers, Warnock are certainties to play each week, with Joel McDonald, Martin and Cheney as other defenders that are ahead of McNamara. That's 7-8 players he's going to have to leap frog to even get a look in. If we are trying to open up spots on our list he would have to be in trouble. If he was a forward, he'd be certain to stay on the list, but he plays a position that we have plenty of

- Martin- For exactly the same reasons as McNamara, you'd assume he'd have to be in a little bit of trouble. Has unsuccessfully tried to be turned into a forward.

- Maric- I always had high hopes for him, but in the brutal business that is AFL, he'd have to be in trouble. Has been absolutely terrible at afl level this season after showing promise in his first year. about 10 young players have shot past him. He still shows promise at vfl level, but he would really need to step it up in the second half of the year.

- Cheney- For similar reasons to PJ. I think he could possibly be in trouble. We have an obvious and clear need for a small running defender and yet the coaches have left him languishing at vfl level. He has performed well at vfl level, but has some obvious deficiencies in his game (kicking, speed, skills). The fact he hasn't been played at all this year makes me think he's not part of future plans

I think Dunn and Bartram are safe for at least one more season. They have big strong mature bodies and have proven that they can impact games consistently while also providing a bit of strength around the younger bodies.

Wonaeamirri, Bail, Jetta and Strauss will definitely get another season to prove themselves.

I would delist all of our 4 remaining rookies (Meesan, Newton, Hughes, Healy), leaving us with 6 rookies to select, enabling us to take a couple of risks on ruckman, or mature age vfl players.

So change for the sake of change??? Personally I would want to see Tim Harrington sacked for delisting players purely for the exercise of participating in the draft. A delisting to open a draft pick decision has to be made giving consideration to whether the draft pick could yield a player more valuable to the list than the one being delisted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us take a first round pick this year and then stock up in the rookie draft. Remember that a 2nd or 3rd round pick in this draft isn't what we're used to. Firstly if we stay at 13th our 2nd & 3rd come in at picks 28 & 45, and then consider that the best 8 or so players in this draft already got scooped off the top last year by GC so it knocks them down to around 36 & 53 in real terms. Not terribly exciting.

Probably agree 5 delistings. That allows McKenzie and Spenser to be upgraded and 3 draft picks. Seems reasonable.

If we keep taking the hardline on players we have the last few seasons, then if players aren't in our long term plans, then they will be delisted even if they still have something to offer at afl level (See Robbo, Wheatley and even Buckley last year).

I would have thought that the ones in trouble are

- PJ- ....

- Miller- ....

- Bell- ....

- McNamara- ....

- Martin- ....

- Maric- ....

- Cheney- ....

I think Dunn and Bartram are safe for at least one more season. They have big strong mature bodies and have proven that they can impact games consistently while also providing a bit of strength around the younger bodies.

Wonaeamirri, Bail, Jetta and Strauss will definitely get another season to prove themselves.

I would delist all of our 4 remaining rookies (Meesan, Newton, Hughes, Healy), leaving us with 6 rookies to select, enabling us to take a couple of risks on ruckman, or mature age vfl players.

From the players you mention there.

PJ & Bell are probably in trouble.

Miller is a line-ball call

McNamara, Maric, Martin, Cheney, Dunn, Wona & Bartram are all contracted to 2011.

Jetta is contracted to 2012

Bail & Strauss are coming out of contract.

So from your list of candidates, to obtain the 2nd & 3rd round picks we would have to be delisting Strauss & Bail. For this to be an appropriate decision we would have to feel we would get better players than these two. From my admittedly uneducated point of view in terms of the depth of this year's draft, I wouldn't think that would be the case.

From the players you mention there.

PJ & Bell are probably in trouble.

Miller is a line-ball call

McNamara, Maric, Martin, Cheney, Dunn, Wona & Bartram are all contracted to 2011.

Jetta is contracted to 2012

Bail & Strauss are coming out of contract.

So from your list of candidates, to obtain the 2nd & 3rd round picks we would have to be delisting Strauss & Bail. For this to be an appropriate decision we would have to feel we would get better players than these two. From my admittedly uneducated point of view in terms of the depth of this year's draft, I wouldn't think that would be the case.

Are you sure Cheney, McNamara and Bartram all resigned for 2 years? When resigned last year their length of contract was not specified so I believed at least 1 of them would only get a 1 year deal.

Also why the hell is Dunn contracted to 2011, when was that done.

What about retirements, Bruce could easily go, he doesn't offer a heap more than the guys in the VFL. McDonald must only be a couple of injuries away from giving it up.

Are you sure Cheney, McNamara and Bartram all resigned for 2 years? When resigned last year their length of contract was not specified so I believed at least 1 of them would only get a 1 year deal.

Also why the hell is Dunn contracted to 2011, when was that done.

What about retirements, Bruce could easily go, he doesn't offer a heap more than the guys in the VFL. McDonald must only be a couple of injuries away from giving it up.

This is just going from the list that someone here put together, assumedly from researching news releases over time. I had a quick look myself and found an article confirming Cheney is 2011, but couldn't find anything concrete on Bartram or McNamara. It's possible they are on deals that have criteria which activate a 2nd year, hence the non-disclosure.

Bruce & Junior retiring wouldn't open up list spots as they are on the Veteran's List and we have nobody old enough to replace them next year. Having them off the list would just mean we can elevate 2 of our 6 new rookies at the start of the season.

On an earlier question, it is my understanding that we cannot retain Spencer for a 4th year on the rookie list.

Pass.

Even with PJ and Meesen gone, we still have to find playing time behind Jamar for Gawn and Co. Hampson just adds to the log jam of ruckman who are still too raw.

That, and I do not want to pay the price of a top 20 pick for Hampson!