• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Addam Maric

Mad_Melbourne

there is continual addam maric bashing on this site but personally from round 6 onwards i feel his form is nearly warranting a game for him. (wont be suprised if he plays queens birthday match)

not only do i understand why people are questioning him due to his poor results in 2009, work rate, defensive pressure and kicking at afl level and when comparing his afl matches to wonaeamirris few matches it is fair to say that wonaeamirri has had a better afl record.

but i think people forget he has had a poor run with shoulder injuries which is no fault of his own and has therefore had hampered pre seasons. that his kicking for goal when drafted was at 80%. and in 2008 he played a few good games notably the one against geelong in the wet. now im not saying that he is going to be a ridiculously good player but his kicking and speed can be an asset for melbourne in the future, and it just annoys me that we as club supporters write off players who have played 11 games at the club.

people writing him off are just ridiculous.

stats and reviews from brad gotch (casey coach)

rd 5

Addam Maric - Kicks 9, Handballs 5, Marks 2, Tackles 1, Goals 1

Addam started off really lively, and hurt the opposition with a couple of shots at goal. He did get a fantastic long goal in the last quarter, which is probably a trademark of what hes like, and he had a few tackles as well. Hed probably be a little bit disappointed that he didnt make the most of his opportunities early, as he could have had a really big game.

rd 6

Addam Maric - Kicks 13, Marks 6, Handballs 14, Tackles 6, Goals 1

Addam probably had his best game for us this year. As a small forward who did a little bit in the midfield, he had 27 possessions, so thats a big game. He kicked one goal one, and set up other numerous opportunities for the boys, which was fantastic. He had a few tackles and pressure skills as well, which is where were trying to get him to be more of an all rounder in the way he plays, so hell be really pleased with that game.

rd 7

Addam Maric

Addam had a good game. He had 24 possessions, so hes certainly finding the footy. He was lively, and kicked a goal - probably could have kicked another goal, I think he missed one - and there were a couple of opportunities running through half-forward, where he could have used the ball just that little bit better. In the main, hes working really well, getting a lot of it lately, and hes got his work rate right up. Hes pushing up into the middle of the ground, and working back to the forward line, so thats really good for us.

rd 8

Addam Maric -

Addam spent a bit of time in a number of positions. We played him on the wing for a little bit, as well as half-forward, forward pocket - hes still getting a lot of the ball. He kicked one goal two, which was a bit unfortunate, because he missed a couple of snaps. He was still good, but he just needed to make the most of those opportunities. But, in the wet conditions, I was really impressed with his cleanness. All the other guys were fumbling, and he was just coming in and grabbing it and getting it out. He was looking lively again.

now i know i will cop a spray from the maric haters, and i can see the reasons why, but i think you guys should not be so short sited, open for a debate :)

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

How about his Round 9 and 10 stats?

Personally I think Kyle Cheney's recent form is more deserving of a call up, plus we seem to have the area of small forwards covered right now.

I must admit that last year I was very concerned by his body language & the fact that he hadn't seemed to have gotten anywhere.

This year that concern continued, until I watched him at training & in games & worked out a little bit from my observations of him.

I believe he's a bit sort of a shy or slightly introverted person,,, at least at this point as a footballer, & I realized this would slow his maturity in the game.

Having accepted that myself, I new he needed more time to grow. I knew he would respond to support & encouragement & with some time he'll start to show his skills, & if I'm not mistaken, I think he just starting to do a few good things here & there.

All good with the kids @ Casey, thats the future.

My Maric hate (strong word, probably disappointment is better) was only started this year, before then he was doing fine. Developing as well as injury let him to. Played some very nice games for us as a young player.

But this year after a reported a big and relatively injury free preseason his NAB and early VFL form was rubbish. He was horrible at Casey fields in the nab challenge. Also after been touted as an accurate goal kicker he keep kicking points.

Now I'm concerned that he doesn't have the speed to beat and opponent and impose forward pressure, neither does he have the strength/marking ability at his size to be a goal kicker. So really it kind of makes him better up the ground either HFF or Wing and I'm wondering if he's good enough to make it.

As I said earlier its more disappointment and I really hope he can lift with a big second half. I'm not sure if 2.5 years on the list means we have to keep waiting longer for him (especially now as games are less gifted) or if it means he just wont cut it.

No spray, I think Maric can be a special player, but he has made it hard for himself by taking so long to come along (I know he's had injuries) and he'll have to show some really decent form to crack the side now we have so many small fit.

I'm glad he is signed until the end of 2011.

eth 38 they are only up to rd 8 in the vfl as the season started later and they had a bye :) only thing i agree cheney is good to and due for a game, but they are both different players, and i feel at the moment our backline is better than our forward line, by miles, making it hard for cheney.

i agree dee-luded that he has had poor body langugage but i think in recent times it has turned around, and he is really puttin in 100% in contests and also not responding negatively when mistakes up the field are made or when he makes a mistake.

the master, he runs the 100m is 10 seconds im not sure on his 20m times? and muscle wise small forwards arent really that role, i can see him roving off the packs in the future meaning bennell and jetta can play a flank/ wing role. also he is signed on til the end of next year and i agree if he doesnt start to play regular afl football he will be cut or traded, but i can see him develop into a good afl player.

Honestly, I had little opinion on Maric until I saw him in a couple of pre-season matches this year. Having seen him play in those, I came on here and announced that I didn't think he'd make it as an AFL footballer. My reasoning was that he was slow, not great at winning contested ball and his kicking for goal was terrible (despite his amazing figures as a junior). I have only seen him play once for Casey since then, and have to say that he still didn't do much for me. There were a couple of passages of play in which he looked good, but for the most part a whole lot of nothing special. He also seemed prone to something that many here accuse Nathan Jones of doing, that being trying more than he's capable of and winding up making a huge mess of everything.

Right now, I see evidence of improvement in the form of the comments from Gotch listed above, but nothing to suggest that he's ready for AFL. I am standing by my previous assessment. He's too small, too slow, can't win his own ball and his kicking isn't good enough. He could learn to win his own ball in which case we'd have another Valenti, and his kicking will likely improve, but I don'[t see a lot of future for him.

too small for a small forward? davey and wona are both shorter than him

none the less all your points are reasonable, and watching his afl performances i would agree, i just hope he can translate what is seen in the vfl into afl and he wll be a handy crumming forward.

but i agree that he hasnt shown enough at an afl level but i also feel his form in recent vfl matches warrants a game in the afl, at the current time ahead of wonna.

eth 38 they are only up to rd 8 in the vfl as the season started later and they had a bye :) only thing i agree cheney is good to and due for a game, but they are both different players, and i feel at the moment our backline is better than our forward line, by miles, making it hard for cheney.

i agree dee-luded that he has had poor body langugage but i think in recent times it has turned around, and he is really puttin in 100% in contests and also not responding negatively when mistakes up the field are made or when he makes a mistake.

the master, he runs the 100m is 10 seconds im not sure on his 20m times? and muscle wise small forwards arent really that role, i can see him roving off the packs in the future meaning bennell and jetta can play a flank/ wing role. also he is signed on til the end of next year and i agree if he doesnt start to play regular afl football he will be cut or traded, but i can see him develop into a good afl player.

Ah, didn't know that.

Still think Cheney is more likely to be picked as our small crumbing forwards are doing OK and we need a small defender to combat Collingwood's small forward line.

Honestly, I had little opinion on Maric until I saw him in a couple of pre-season matches this year. Having seen him play in those, I came on here and announced that I didn't think he'd make it as an AFL footballer. My reasoning was that he was slow, not great at winning contested ball and his kicking for goal was terrible (despite his amazing figures as a junior). I have only seen him play once for Casey since then, and have to say that he still didn't do much for me. There were a couple of passages of play in which he looked good, but for the most part a whole lot of nothing special. He also seemed prone to something that many here accuse Nathan Jones of doing, that being trying more than he's capable of and winding up making a huge mess of everything.

Right now, I see evidence of improvement in the form of the comments from Gotch listed above, but nothing to suggest that he's ready for AFL. I am standing by my previous assessment. He's too small, too slow, can't win his own ball and his kicking isn't good enough. He could learn to win his own ball in which case we'd have another Valenti, and his kicking will likely improve, but I don'[t see a lot of future for him.

Yeah agree with all that in his past. I think he was a bit lazy in the past & immature, but I'm getting the feeling from what I see, that he may well have decided to work harder & get fitter, &, I'm just getting the feeling that he's showing hints of coming through that struggle of his.

The rest of this season will show his direction & attitude.

Guest melbman

I've seen him play a few times at Casey and he definitely has the skills but for now he is still just a young kid. Only time will tell how his career progresses

I've seen him play a few times at Casey and he definitely has the skills but for now he is still just a young kid. Only time will tell how his career progresses

I saw him play one game for Casey before he got injured. I saw enough to know that he plays very well through the midfield and has excellent evasive skills.

Will be a gun player!

Did anyone see the one hand pick up on the run in the last quarter against Box Hill? The kid has skills and will be a really good player for the MFC for many years to come.

His kicking style has changed since he got to the club and it hasn't been working. Why would he change something that isn't broken? I would suggest that he listens to his own advise in the article a couple of years ago about kicking and tell the forward /kicking coaches thanks very much.

Is there? I just hear deafening silence.

Far from being the usual suspect of e-bashing, Maric is the forgotten man.

Agree. Performance at VFL level might change that. It has not been forthcoming.

I have to agree, I think he was more deserving of a game this year than wona.

Now why do you think the MFC Footy dept think otherwise?? Hmmmm

I would suggest that he listens to his own advise in the article a couple of years ago about kicking and tell the forward /kicking coaches thanks very much.

How to kill off your AFL aspirations in one easy lesson. :wacko:

I have to agree, I think he was more deserving of a game this year than wona.

You'd hope so, but the FD thought that a 5 kegs overweight and clearly unfit Wonaeamirri was more deserving of a game than Maric. What does that tell us?

Anyway, I agree with Rogue in that I've hardly seen Maric get mentioned with the exception of his optimistic fans. It's hardly been a Maric bashing fest. That role is reserved for Cameron Bruce.

He might've been handy in the VFL, but to get in to the side he needs to do more. Take a lesson from Lynden Dunn in how to get your name up in lights.

Bruce is hopeless. All he ever does is kick the ball to a...

Oh, sorry! Almost got carried away there.

Not sure about Maric playing in the next flag. I still think there's quite a bit of hope for him, but he'll have a lot of competition for his spot in Jetta, Bennell, Wona, Tapscott, et al.

Not to mention players we may end up with in the coming draft.

He needs to get his skates on.

Did anyone see the one hand pick up on the run in the last quarter against Box Hill? The kid has skills and will be a really good player for the MFC for many years to come.

His kicking style has changed since he got to the club and it hasn't been working. Why would he change something that isn't broken? I would suggest that he listens to his own advise in the article a couple of years ago about kicking and tell the forward /kicking coaches thanks very much.

I think when he kicks poor its awkwardness related to a loss of confidence. It can effect people strongly. Making them appear uncoordinated & looking like a misfit.

He changed his kicking style as he wanted to get more distance in his kicks which has resulted in him becoming innacurate. IMO he is best suited as a crumber playing close to goal where he can use his lethal goal sense. Playing him up around half forward wont work as he will have to try to get more distance on his kicks to kick over 50m which results in him shanking the kicks sometimes