Watts wrong with Whats?

DeeZee

What the Hell was Watts wearing on his feet????? He fell over dozens of times today.

How hard is it to wear screw in stops on a rainy day FCS?!?!?!?!??!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah was a real shocker for him today.

Watched on TV and did not see him at all in the 2nd half. Was he mostly benched?

He needs to get a bit more of a run through the midfield just to get some touch. He hasn't got the body to be a sit at home forward.

1. His lower body is not yet strong enough to keep his feet consistently and so forfeits a lot of competitions he's involved in. It's incredibly frustrating to watch from a supporters point of view and it is costing us a lot of important contests.

2. He is yet to master his leading patterns and how to attract the ball and where the best position to receive the ball is. I'm confident with 20 to 30 games under his belt he'll improve this area of his game.

3. The delivery to him has often been below ordinary. A number of times today, he lead one way and the player with the ball kicked in the other way, so Jack then had to quickly turn around and make position for the new trajectory.

1. His lower body is not yet strong enough to keep his feet consistently and so forfeits a lot of competitions he's involved in. It's incredibly frustrating to watch from a supporters point of view and it is costing us a lot of important contests.

2. He is yet to master his leading patterns and how to attract the ball and where the best position to receive the ball is. I'm confident with 20 to 30 games under his belt he'll improve this area of his game.

3. The delivery to him has often been below ordinary. A number of times today, he lead one way and the player with the ball kicked in the other way, so Jack then had to quickly turn around and make position for the new trajectory.

Potentially the sanest post on Watts in the history of the one million posts on the young lad.

Very interesting on Dunn. Did he play a roaming half forward role or was he camped closer to goal? Given the wet I would hazard a guess of close to goal.

Dunn played close to goal and took some excellent marks in wet,freezing conditions. He was the difference between the 2 sides.

Cheney arrived at the ground at qtr time and did not look too happy. Was told to go to Casey after being an emergency for the ones. Got on the ground half-way through the 2nd qtr and played well.

The club will probably incur a fine for including Warnock who was not listed as an emergency. This club of ours obviously has bucketloads of cash, staying at Geelong, having a goodwill visit to Central Australia and the Tiwi Islands. I can't believe that Cheney wasn't included in the side to replace Frawley considering his form has been better than Warnocks.

Martin was useless, Wona overweight, which is pathetic considering it's half-way through the season.

McNamara was good, Maric did some good things, McKenzie was o/k but not his best game.

Newton did his calf in the 1st qtr and was in his civvies by half-time. Strauss looked impressive in patches as did PJ. MacDonald tuned the ball over too often and Bell did not look fit.

It was a good win considering the Hawks had a good team in

Very interesting on Dunn. Did he play a roaming half forward role or was he camped closer to goal? Given the wet I would hazard a guess of close to goal.

He told me last night he played full forward.

He kept falling over.

The really annoying bit, the 3 obnoxious Carlton supporters behind me were getting maximum pleasure bagging him constantly. They loudly proclaimed that Melb had picked a dud at #1, and even more loudly pretended not to know who was pick 2 in that draft, then sang Natanui's praises to rub it in.

Of course, they're the experts at number one picks, having tanked and rorted to get so many.

It didn't help that they giggled and pointed out all the times that Watts fell over his feet. The most unfortunate thing, I couldn't really say anything to shut them up.

Why didn't you thank them for Gysberts for McLean.

Also that they got Robert Warnock for $1.6m for 4 years instead of us.

Edited by Redleg

Why are some people on here being so precious about criticism of a player who had a measly 3 posessions for the entire game? Does being a high draft pick mean you are allowed to not be held accountable for your performance?

Watts was awful today, and does not deserve a game next week based on the past fortnights efforts.

Absolutely, make him accountable, but NOT the Whipping Boy. This post started yesterday, and it has Now 3 pages of critism at him.

Can you not understand the Biased view here.

There was a previous thread that went on & on & on, to an absolutely ridiculous point.

Seriously, some of you guys will push him away from this club.

Dunn played close to goal and took some excellent marks in wet,freezing conditions. He was the difference between the 2 sides.

Cheney arrived at the ground at qtr time and did not look too happy. Was told to go to Casey after being an emergency for the ones. Got on the ground half-way through the 2nd qtr and played well.

The club will probably incur a fine for including Warnock who was not listed as an emergency. This club of ours obviously has bucketloads of cash, staying at Geelong, having a goodwill visit to Central Australia and the Tiwi Islands. I can't believe that Cheney wasn't included in the side to replace Frawley considering his form has been better than Warnocks.

Martin was useless, Wona overweight, which is pathetic considering it's half-way through the season.

McNamara was good, Maric did some good things, McKenzie was o/k but not his best game.

Newton did his calf in the 1st qtr and was in his civvies by half-time. Strauss looked impressive in patches as did PJ. MacDonald tuned the ball over too often and Bell did not look fit.

It was a good win considering the Hawks had a good team in

Cheers for the info on the Casey game.

I'm thinking that given the conditions most of Dunn's goals weren't served to him on a silver platter from the midfield - surely amongst 8 goals in the wet some of the balls coming in were simply slapped on the boot and he outplayed his opponent. If what you say is accurate in that he was the difference of the two teams then it sounds like the midfield battle was pretty even. It just goes to show that if you structure up forward well and play to a good tactic your destiny isn't dictated by whether your midfield dominates or not. Eggs, basket and all that.

Not good to hear about Martin, I don't like where he is heading atm.

He needs a kick up the arse that's for sure.

Someone to yell at him that if he doesn't keep his feet or get in front - he'll be off.

Keep him in. I don't think two games is enough rope.

Hell, Miller has had over a hundred...

Cheers for the info on the Casey game.

I'm thinking that given the conditions most of Dunn's goals weren't served to him on a silver platter from the midfield - surely amongst 8 goals in the wet some of the balls coming in were simply slapped on the boot and he outplayed his opponent. If what you say is accurate in that he was the difference of the two teams then it sounds like the midfield battle was pretty even. It just goes to show that if you structure up forward well and play to a good tactic your destiny isn't dictated by whether your midfield dominates or not. Eggs, basket and all that.

Not good to hear about Martin, I don't like where he is heading atm.

We had most ball forward, they struggled IMO, to get the ball into scoring positions, as much as we could!

Dunn was the correct choice forward for those conditions.

We had most ball forward, they struggled IMO, to get the ball into scoring positions, as much as we could!

Fair enough thanks for that, 26 scoring shots to 25 and a 1 goal win does suggests a pretty close contest though.

Dunn was the correct choice forward for those conditions.

Sounds like it. I get the sense though that they used him well and being a dependable target made the job simpler for the midfield.

He stays for QB, with an instruction to do these three things:

1) Play in front. Yes, that is easier said than done for someone of Watts' fitness and core strength but for the last 2 weeks he's been caught behind his man far, far too often and he's not going to win a lot of the ball playing from behind.

2) Show more hunger/aggression/desire. The most worrying thing for me about Watts is he just hasn't shown a lot of desire or aggression. His body size shouldn't preclude him from at least looking like he really wants it out there.

3) Keep his feet. Yes, it was wet yesterday but in almost every contest in the second half Watts went to ground and his opponent didn't. Again, influenced in part by his fitness but it's something he can work on over the week.

I'm not looking for dominance from him. I just want to see more of these three things. If he doesn't show any improvement in these areas next Monday I doubt he'll be making the trip to Adelaide the next week.

Intensity

Self belief

I believe that the two are intertwined

We all know he needs to be stronger, but he needs to lead hard, demand the footy and believe that he will get it. It's up to the coaching staff but mostly the kid to get him into a good head space.

Yeah I know, I know I am purporting to know what is going on in his head etc, etc...

He stays for QB, with an instruction to do these three things:

1) Play in front. Yes, that is easier said than done for someone of Watts' fitness and core strength but for the last 2 weeks he's been caught behind his man far, far too often and he's not going to win a lot of the ball playing from behind.

2) Show more hunger/aggression/desire. The most worrying thing for me about Watts is he just hasn't shown a lot of desire or aggression. His body size shouldn't preclude him from at least looking like he really wants it out there.

3) Keep his feet. Yes, it was wet yesterday but in almost every contest in the second half Watts went to ground and his opponent didn't. Again, influenced in part by his fitness but it's something he can work on over the week.

I'm not looking for dominance from him. I just want to see more of these three things. If he doesn't show any improvement in these areas next Monday I doubt he'll be making the trip to Adelaide the next week.

good post

Fair enough thanks for that, 26 scoring shots to 25 and a 1 goal win does suggests a pretty close contest though.

Sounds like it. I get the sense though that they used him well and being a dependable target made the job simpler for the midfield.

Down @ Casey:

It wasn't a day for marking the ball, and the second half was attrocious. Only the occaisional chest mark was normal. Over head marks were few, hard to pick up the ball off the deck. This is when Dunn comes into forward calculations, as I see it. To me, in normal conditions, he's a flanker come midfielder. Doesn't like contested overhead marks, and doesn't seem comfortable crashing packs. He plays small. Thats why he went so well yesterday, he has size, not easily moved off the ball by smaller opponents, too quick & nimble for bigger opponents in the wet. His physical attributes are his main strength.

Edited by dee-luded

A number of times today, he lead one way and the player with the ball kicked in the other way,

So we're using him as a decoy!

(poor attempt at a joke, btw)

Why didn't you thank them for Gysberts for McLean.

Also that they got Robert Warnock for $1.6m for 4 years instead of us.

Thanks for that. I was thinking of a few comments like that for after we got on top in the last qtr.

Unfortunately, the obnoxious trio of booz supporters left at 3 qtr time (their faith in their magnificent side having deserted them), and of course we never followed on in the last qtr.

Next time we play them, I'll have your words ready (plus probably a comment on Waite's tribunal record).

Thanks for that. I was thinking of a few comments like that for after we got on top in the last qtr.

Unfortunately, the obnoxious trio of booz supporters left at 3 qtr time (their faith in their magnificent side having deserted them), and of course we never followed on in the last qtr.

Next time we play them, I'll have your words ready (plus probably a comment on Waite's tribunal record).

I sat behind a real [censored] scum supporter. After they had the first three free kicks I said "here we go again". He then called two of our players "[censored]" and swore at others. The bloke in the next row wanted to take him on. Every incident in the game was a scum free kick according to him and any we got were [censored] umpiring decisions. Is it any wonder I hate the scum. they are the most arrogant club and supporters in the AFL and I wish them total failure.

I sat behind a real [censored] scum supporter. After they had the first three free kicks I said "here we go again". He then called two of our players "[censored]" and swore at others. The bloke in the next row wanted to take him on. Every incident in the game was a scum free kick according to him and any we got were [censored] umpiring decisions. Is it any wonder I hate the scum. they are the most arrogant club and supporters in the AFL and I wish them total failure.

Until yesterday I thought bombers' supporters were the worst. Totally agree with you, my obnoxious trio were out of the same mold as your scum supporter. Interestingly, they make filth supporters almost human.

Only if Jack plays like a spud when the ball's coming well into the forward line will I agree that he deserves to go. So far, the only game he's played where the ball's come in well was against Port, and that's been his best game. Only champion KPFs at the peak of their career can be effective when the ball's being butchered into the forward line. And Jack's not that yet.

I had a scum supporter walk past me in anger in the third when we made a comeback and knock my (previous broken) knee with a bag full of drink bottles... lucky my dad was there to hold me back from punching him in the face.

GOD I HATE CARLTON!!!!! :mad:

I thought it was a bit of a joke when someone suggested we put Jack in the ruck, but maybe it isn't such a bad idea, he has to learn how to handle body contact and the best way to do that is facing an opposition ruckman front on. I don't think he's frightened but he has to show he can handle it and his team mates have to have confidence in him and want to kick it to him.

He still looks like a boy and he is, unfortunately, playing like one at the moment. He'll be ok, it's just a matter of time and experience, I reckon a few weeks playing second ruck will get him more involved and used to the pressure.