Gysberts

I must admit- you have been consistent with the above.However do you agree we need talls now in either established talls or young talls.

"Talls" being players over a certain height or players who can play a key position. If you believe that we need talls now then recruiting young talls will not solve your problems until 3 to 5 years down the track.

Given where the game is going and given our list I would not invested early draft picks in a KPF unless that KPF was the best available.

Our issue is potential a mobile tallish forward who can pitch hit the ruck. We should look for that player in the PSD, within our list or if he is the best available then so be it.

I would cringe to solve poster's desire to recruit for needs that we had nabbed Talia at 11 instead of Gysberts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really interesting. Just two examples (remember these were written before the draft:

Jack Fitzpatrick (Western Jets, VIC)

Height: 201cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 26/06/91

Recruited from: Wyndhamvale

Agile and quick for his size, Fitzpatrick can also play down back and in attack. He has been regarded as a potential first-rounder through to early third round.

Draft range: 10-35

Max Gawn (Sandringham Dragons, VIC)

Height: 206cm, Weight: 97kg, DOB: 28/12/91

Recruited from: Ormond

Sustained a knee injury before this year's under-18 championships, but still looms as a top-50 selection. Gawn could be taken as early as the second-round.

Draft range: 20-60

Luke Tapscott (North Adelaide, SA)

Height: 180cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 28/06/91

Recruited from: Orroroo

Regarded by many as the best kick in this year's draft pool. A powerful midfielder/forward in the mould of Daniel Rich, he looks set to be a first-rounder.

Draft range: 6-18

Clearly we got the pick of the bunch. The Club should get the highest possible praise for this. A superb job. No wonder people are excited!

These picks are unproven and popping the corks should wait until they produce. I hope they do in spades.

I thought James Frawley & Jordan Gysberts were our best players on Saturday. So did The Age:

James-Gysberts.jpg

On second thoughts, maybe they meant Jordon McDonald.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere.)

I thought James Frawley & Jordan Gysberts were our best players on Saturday. So did The Age:

James-Gysberts.jpg

On second thoughts, maybe they meant Jordon McDonald.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere.)

So that would make him "equal Best on ground". I didnt see the game only highlights, i tried to listen on the radio (unsuccesfully). I am very impressed that he was judged as "equal best on ground" with 7 votes in a team that got smashed by one of the greatest teams ever. Surely he is a big chance for the Rising Star Nom. I watched the Richmond game and Dustin Martin was good but sounds like Jordan may have been more deserving givin the opposition and his first game great effort!

Our issue is potential a mobile tallish forward who can pitch hit the ruck. We should look for that player in the PSD, within our list or if he is the best available then so be it.

I would cringe to solve poster's desire to recruit for needs that we had nabbed Talia at 11 instead of Gysberts.

Fair call, at present RR. Granted, we've yet to see Talia apart from his impressive games last year in the TAC Cup, remember.

It's always been said that KP players take longer to develop. You will note in the above link I posted that initially I was leaning towards the KP player early November, and about a week prior to the Draft my thoughts were strong on getting the midfield full of quality. Must say, looking back I made quite a few changes and drafts with the picks the Dees were alloted.

Had Gysberts at 18.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Well I thought Gysberts looked like he was going to be a good player for it but his career is over.

Yep. He will never make it.

Why? Not because of his skills, dedication or hardness at the ball.

No. It was because Hutchy has come out and said that Melbourne have won out on the McLean trade, and that means Gysberts will now play out his career in the 2nds while McLean wins back to back Brownlows.

Damn you Hutchy!

Well I thought Gysberts looked like he was going to be a good player for it but his career is over.

Yep. He will never make it.

Why? Not because of his skills, dedication or hardness at the ball.

No. It was because Hutchy has come out and said that Melbourne have won out on the McLean trade, and that means Gysberts will now play out his career in the 2nds while McLean wins back to back Brownlows.

Damn you Hutchy!

Garry Lyon on same show said Geelong took no notice of him and that may have flattered his performance. Well they put Bartel on him in the last quarter and he played on Selwood early, so given that and his stats I think he can be bloody proud of his first up performance. IMO he is this week's rising star.

I also think the OX would be very happy with the boy wearing his number.

Garry Lyon on same show said Geelong took no notice of him and that may have flattered his performance. Well they put Bartel on him in the last quarter and he played on Selwood early, so given that and his stats I think he can be bloody proud of his first up performance. IMO he is this week's rising star.

Gary Lyon is right. Geelong paid Gysberts next-to no attention. Bartel is not "attention" and commentary like "Gysberts should be flattered by being tagged by a Brownlow medallist in his first game" is typical of a caller lost for something worthwhile to say. One) Bartel is not a tagger; and two) it was the last quarter and the game was cooked.

Selwood got 30+ possessions.

Nor is a parallel drawn between McLean & Gysberts valid, yet. Ask yourself how Gysbert might have gone had Geelong put, not Bartel, but Ling onto Gysberts from the start. A couple of years ago at Shell Stadium Brock spent a first half racking up possessions like Gysberts did on Saturday. At half time Thompson put Ling onto Brock and Brock barely got a touch in the second half.

The advantage of Gysberts lies in numbers. When West Coast had Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley, Braun, Fletcher, etc running around the opposition could never tag them all. Tag Judd and Cousins would stack up the possies; tag Cousins and Judd would stack them up; tag Judd AND Cousins and Fletcher and Embley would knock up a lazy thirty. At some point in the future Melbourne will have a mature, talented squad of on-ballers (Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Grimes, Moloney, etc) and the opposition will not be able to tag everyone.

What's more. It would be staggering if Gysberts won a Rising Star nomination after one game.

Fair call, at present RR. Granted, we've yet to see Talia apart from his impressive games last year in the TAC Cup, remember.

It's always been said that KP players take longer to develop. You will note in the above link I posted that initially I was leaning towards the KP player early November, and about a week prior to the Draft my thoughts were strong on getting the midfield full of quality. Must say, looking back I made quite a few changes and drafts with the picks the Dees were alloted.

Had Gysberts at 18.

I think the issue is not how long KPs take to develop, but was Talia or another KPF the best available at 11 or 18. I maybe wrong on this but I dont think Talia was taken by any club in the main draft or he was, he was taken well down. What does that say??

What MFC have done has emphasised that with your top picks and certainly those in the first round you take the best available.

Dustin Martin has taken the Rising Star Nom for this week. No surprises really, he's been due it a few weeks now, and they cant ignore him when they win. Gys' time will come in the next month or so hopefully.

These picks are unproven and popping the corks should wait until they produce. I hope they do in spades.

Also agree- unproven- hopeful at best at this time.This does not say -each will turn out champs,we will just have to wait and see.

Edited by jayceebee31

I think the issue is not how long KPs take to develop, but was Talia or another KPF the best available at 11 or 18. I maybe wrong on this but I dont think Talia was taken by any club in the main draft or he was, he was taken well down. What does that say??

What MFC have done has emphasised that with your top picks and certainly those in the first round you take the best available.

Daniel Talia was taken Pick 13 by Adelaide, 2 picks after Gysberts.

As you say KPs take longer to develop so we dont know if Talia will develop into a good player or not yet, he may be better than gysberts one day or we have made the right decision and have a future star in our hands. I think and hope that is the case but we wont know for a few years yet.

Jack Fitzpatrick is terrible. Very very keen but very very ordinary.

What's that based on? I've seen him twice now and think he lokks very, very promising. Also last match he played for Casey reserves he was named BOG by Gotch. So I'm interested as to why you believe this 18 year old is terrible???

The comment that "Geelong paid him no attention" loses a bit of relevance considering 10 of his 26 possessions were contested. Is it being suggested the Geelong players didn't notice the bloke beating them for the contested ball because he was just a 1st gamer??

Taken by Adelaide, first round. That say's to me that Adelaide rated him highly. High enough to use their first pick on him. Whether or not they went best available or to fill a need, I don't know.

Yep. Best available.

^this is correct.

Also agree- unproven- hopeful at best at this time.This does not say -each will turn out champs,we will just have to wait and see.

Crikey that's two in row!!!! :blink::)

As you say KPs take longer to develop so we dont know if Talia will develop into a good player or not yet, he may be better than gysberts one day or we have made the right decision and have a future star in our hands. I think and hope that is the case but we wont know for a few years yet.

Taken by Adelaide, first round. That say's to me that Adelaide rated him highly. High enough to use their first pick on him. Whether or not they went best available or to fill a need, I don't know.

Thanks guys for the correction. My bad.

Apologies to the Talia family for any slight from my error :rolleyes:

Gary Lyon is right. Geelong paid Gysberts next-to no attention. Bartel is not "attention" and commentary like "Gysberts should be flattered by being tagged by a Brownlow medallist in his first game" is typical of a caller lost for something worthwhile to say. One) Bartel is not a tagger; and two) it was the last quarter and the game was cooked.

Bartell stopped Lenny Hayes after 1/4 time in last years GF, that pretty much won Geelong the Cup.

So i think Jordan did very well.

The comment that "Geelong paid him no attention" loses a bit of relevance considering 10 of his 26 possessions were contested. Is it being suggested the Geelong players didn't notice the bloke beating them for the contested ball because he was just a 1st gamer??

Spot on whether you are being tagged or not a contested win is a contested win and he won heaps. Very happy with him and in my opinion it's irrelevant whether or not we swapped him for Brock

Guest DeesPower

Jack Fitzpatrick is terrible. Very very keen but very very ordinary.

Ayyy. Where did that come from. He has barely played a game at Casey yet.

Guest DeesPower

What's that based on? I've seen him twice now and think he lokks very, very promising. Also last match he played for Casey reserves he was named BOG by Gotch. So I'm interested as to why you believe this 18 year old is terrible???

Totally agree.