Changes for next week

titan_uranus

Getting in early, I know.

PJ goes. No question. Someone needs to back up Jamar, so (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) Miller or Newton might find themselves back in the team. Otherwise maybe Martin or Spencer.

Bartram was terrible today as well. Time for Cheney to get a game.

Bennell wasn't good either. Still doesn't play 4 quarters (but plenty of others didn't either). But with Jetta and Wonaeamirri playing well at Casey, he's got to do better.

Sylvia looked disinterested. A drop to Casey would be a big wake up call.

Hughes didn't show me anything. He was better in the wet. Bruce, Bate and Davey might have injuries.

So with that in mind:

In: Martin/Dunn/Spencer/Miller, Morton, Cheney, Wonaeamirri

Out: Johnson, Bartram, Hughes, Sylvia

Emotion will probably have the better of me at the moment but there were too many players today who didn't run hard enough, didn't show any fight, and just didn't do anything decent.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out: Rivers, Johnson, Batram, Jones, bruce (hammy)

In: Macdonald, Gysberts, Cheney, Morton, Wana

Nothing needs to be said about Johnson.

Rivers is slow, poorly skilled. Dont think he contested one leading mark today, just couldnt get to the contest. Macdonald sets up the play a lot better.

Similarly to Dunn, batram makes too many errors when the chips are down.

Jones gets caught too often and just blazes away when he does have it.

I just hope to god they don't replace Hughes with Miller.

Im finding Scully's kicking quite frustrating but he is too good at finding the ball to drop.

Edit: Bruce has done a hammy add him to the outs

Edited by stranga

Out: Bruce (hamstring), PJ, Rivers, Sylvia

Sylvia has been a passenger 3 weeks in a row and he is the exact sort of player who needs a big kick up the arse to get going again. Has been deplorable. One game with Casey will do him some good.

In: Gysberts, Miller/Martin (depending on fitness), Morton, Aussie

I know Scullgove struggled a little today, but that is to be expected. They are the future and if their body feels good, they need to keep pushing through those mistakes.

Edited by Jaded

Miller kicked 4, Morton 3, Wonna 2, Jetta 2, Gysberts 1 @ Casey against Bullants today.

Gysberts, Miller & MacDonald amongst the best today.

Food for thought.

Love to see Wonna in if fit.

IN: Morton, Wonna, Cheney, Martin (if fit), Miller, Dunn, Jetta

OUT: Bate (inj), Bruce (inj), Hughes, Johnson, Rivers, Bartram, Sylvia

FB: Frawley, Warnock, Cheney

HB: Garland, Martin, Grimes

C: Morton, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Trengove, Miller, Jetta

FF: Watts, Green, Wonna

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bennell, Dunn, Jones, Scully

I'd obviously have Bruce and Bate still in if fit, PJ was useless, Hughes goes to ground after every marking contest, Bartram should hand his crown as our back pocket over to Cheney, Sylvia needs a kick up the backside. And finally as much as it pains me to say it and I didn't think he was overly bad today Rivers should go for Martin. Martin needs to play as our 2nd ruckman only when Jamar needs a break. The rest of the time Martin's on the ground he should play in his best position (CHB). Out of Rivers, Warnock, Frawley and Garland, Rivers is the most expendable.

On the flip side the players I've brought in gives us a lot more run.

Edit: Changed dropping Bennell to Sylvia, give Bennell one more week and Jetta in instead of Bail who I think still isn't fit.

Edited by Tall Defence

Miller kicked 4, Morton 3, Wonna 2, Jetta 2, Gysberts 1 @ Casey against Bullants today.

Gysberts, Miller & MacDonald amongst the best today.

Food for thought.

Love to see Wonna in if fit.

Wona and Morton are certainties to come in this week.

Morton because he is in our top 10 players and needs to continue to develop his game at AFL level for the rest of the year.

Wona because it is the Darwin game, the clubs wants him to play in this one. Plus we desparately need a crumber with goo forward pressure, he will definitely add to the team atm.

Would love to see Gysberts get a run.

Have a feeling one of Dunn or Miller might play because PJ was so [censored] when up forward.

IN: Wona, Morton, Gysberts

OUT: Hughes, PJ, Bartram

Wonaeamirri is a moral to play this week. They'll probably chuck Jetta in as well (Sylvia could have a week off if the hammy is no good, or a week at Casey). Sounds like Macdonald deserves to come in, especially if Bruce is injured. Morton is too good for the VFL.

A trip to Darwin must be the perfect time to give Trengove or Scully a week off, and probably isn't the ideal match to bring Gysberts into.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, multiple changes generally don't do much (ie. Richmond dropping 6 most weeks).

It will be a very tough week at selection. I'm hoping they pick guys who will 1. work very hard with increased pressure 2. Take the game on 3. Aren't PJ.

I think they need to look at the changes that have been made in the last few weeks. We have been getting progressively worse as we drop running players and replace them with talls. We need to get more run into the team and get the midfield rotations up.

Jamar can go back to rucking alone for now, so drop PJ and give the spot back to Bail.

Bruce looks like he needs a week, so he can take a rest and Gysberts comes in.

Rivers to go out, replaced by either Morton, Jetta or Wona.

I still haven't seen much of Hughes, but from the reports appearing here he may be a dud. Still, I'd prefer to persist for now.

This should give us a lot more run, something that has been sorely lacking in the last few weeks, and still allow us to maintain some marking power in the forward 50. I think Jamar would be happier playing as the sole ruck, and when he's rested we have several talls who are able to step in around their part of the ground. Also, it gets two good players into the side who have yet to play a game this year.

I really think we missed Dunn as a marking target today. Especially when Bate hurt his ankle in the first Q. We need him to play out of the forward pocket.

Thought PJ played a shocking game today, i think all of our forwards should be excused today because the delivery into the forward fifty was just pathetic.

I'm think Morton should be back, and hopefully Wonna but i think Dunn needs to come back again (depending on form with Casey). Just don't know who the three we'd drop would be because i'm hesitant to drop PJ because we need a legitimate big man who can give Jamar some rest.

however, if bate and bruce miss i'd say move Morton onto the half back flank in bruce's place, move wonna into the forward pocket and substitute Dunn for Bate while dropping Bennell for a rest.

I think they need to look at the changes that have been made in the last few weeks. We have been getting progressively worse as we drop running players and replace them with talls. We need to get more run into the team and get the midfield rotations up.

Jamar can go back to rucking alone for now, so drop PJ and give the spot back to Bail.

Bruce looks like he needs a week, so he can take a rest and Gysberts comes in.

Rivers to go out, replaced by either Morton, Jetta or Wona.

I still haven't seen much of Hughes, but from the reports appearing here he may be a dud. Still, I'd prefer to persist for now.

This should give us a lot more run, something that has been sorely lacking in the last few weeks, and still allow us to maintain some marking power in the forward 50. I think Jamar would be happier playing as the sole ruck, and when he's rested we have several talls who are able to step in around their part of the ground. Also, it gets two good players into the side who have yet to play a game this year.

I don't think Hughes was that bad. He presented pretty well and took some good marks and i actually place the blame on the midfield for the pathetic disposal. Our forward structure was lacking (this is true) but our delivery into the fifty wasn't much better. Much like Watts, Hughes had to come into the center of the ground to even get the ball because we couldn't clear the ball out for a clearance cleanly.

I don't want to put the broom through just because we've had a bad loss, as we've generally been playing pretty good footy, but we sudddenly have a couple of injuries, a few blokes who clearly arent up to it and two blokes in Aussie and Morton who absolutely have to come in. So:

Out: Bruce (inj), Bate (inj), Hughes, Rivers

In: Aussie, Morton, Gysberts, MacDonald (straight swap for Rivers, apparently in Casey's best)

Sylvia and PJ can count themselves very lucky. Everyone else has generally been good this year.

Not sure how you can drop Hughes. he was actually our best forward. Had the most mark of our forwards and if it wasn't for our poor kicking would have had more. Bate is slow. yeah he hurt his ankle but how does that stop him from marking out in his hands. At least learn how to kick on your right foot. Sylvia just isn't fit.

Out : Sylvia, Bate, Bruce, Bennell.

In : Morton, Wonna, Gysberts, Juice????

A few weeks ago you were calling for Sylvia's head after his Footy Show appearance and I disagreed at the time. But after 3 poor performances I have run out of patience so Sylvia now deserves the chop.

Bennell has had enough cumulative bad performances to be dropped... and sounds like Bate & Bruce won't come up for next week.

Would like to see Morton, Wonna, Gysberts and Bail come in to inject some speed and help rotations.

IMO Hughes has shown enough to stay... working against the odds in wet weather and shocking delivery in successive weeks

For one thing, Bate & Bruce & perhaps Davey (who was concussed) will probably miss next week.

For another, for most teams we have one tall defender too many. Le Cras really exploited this today.

Then, some of our senior midfielders (not Junior) have gone missing whenever Jamar can't give them an armchair ride. Remember, we had the worst midfield in the comp in 2008 & 2009, and we have young mids at Casey in Morton, Gysberts & Jetta who need game time this season.

And PJ ... no. He showed that he should have been dropped for this game instead of Dunn.

Out: Johnson, Rivers, Bruce (inj), Bate (inj)

In: Gysberts, Morton, Macdonald, Miller

If one of the injured guys gets up then Miller will remain out; if both get up then Macdonald and Miller to both remain out.

Johnson: If keeping Jamar off the casualty list means that we absolutely must carry a ruckman who isn't any good, I'd prefer it to be Martin or Spencer because at least then we can call it 'development'. Those guys might come good - PJ definitely won't and surely we've seen enough. He is occupying a valuable place in the side at the moment and needs to get out of the road.

Rivers: He's good at taking marks as a loose man in defence, but that's a role anyone can do IMO. What attributes does he bring to the table defensively that we don't get from the Garland, Warnock, Frawley combo? As an attacking defender, I'd prefer Macdonald.

Sylvia was really ordinary today but I don't think dropping him is realistic. He's one player we've got who can be a real gamebreaker and I just don't think you drop these sorts unless their run of poor form is really long. He'll come good any minute and he needs to actually be in the side when that happens.

I'm not interested in leaving Hughes out at this time and I don't think dropping Bartram or Bennell will be on the radar at all.

In:

Gysberts: VFL form speaks for itself. Deserves a shot now that the spots are opening up.

Morton: I had him in my 'in' list for next week already before the game even started, and seeing the VFL results just confirms it. You don't leave one of your best players floundering in the VFL for too long. Any further match fitness he needs to get can be got in the main side.

Macdonald: Served his time in pergatory for his rotten game against North. Straight swap for Rivers -- offers similar benefits defensively and more offensively. I reckon I'll be pretty bored with Rivers-Macdonald ping-pong after a while since I'm not sure either have a spot in the long term, but at the moment I'm happy to keep playing it.

Miller: In the end my decision boiled down to Miller and Wonaeamirri. I went for Miller for two reasons - firstly because he's kicked 3 or 4 goals in the VFL for weeks on end and I believe that you can't turn your back on that kind of form forever, even if you have put a line through the player's name. What was the point of keeping him on the list for this year if we won't play him when he is clearly in good form? Reason two was that Wonaeamirri has also been out of the game for quite a long time and time is on his side more than Miller. His chance will come.

I also considered Jetta and Cheney (good VFL form) and Spencer (to keep Jamar going), but none of those really felt like the right decisions to me.