Jack Viney

TT's Demons

I attended the Casey Demons breakfast yesterday where the MC was Chris Connolly and David Neitz was also one of the speakers. Chris gave an overview of where other clubs were at and also talked about recruiting. He mentioned that Jack Viney was starring in SA and that the demons were planning on recruiting him under the father & son even though he is 2 years away. He went on to say that the club was meeting with Todd Viney this weekend when he is in Melbourne to start making the necessary arrangements. Sounds like good news!!!

Chris also talked about other club stars who had recently had boys and asked David Neitz when we can expect a few boys from him. David said that at this stage, he and his girlfriend are just practising...

I attended the Casey Demons breakfast yesterday where the MC was Chris Connolly and David Neitz was also one of the speakers. Chris gave an overview of where other clubs were at and also talked about recruiting. He mentioned that Jack Viney was starring in SA and that the demons were planning on recruiting him under the father & son even though he is 2 years away. He went on to say that the club was meeting with Todd Viney this weekend when he is in Melbourne to start making the necessary arrangements. Sounds like good news!!!

Chris also talked about other club stars who had recently had boys and asked David Neitz when we can expect a few boys from him. David said that at this stage, he and his girlfriend are just practising...

Sorry Enforcer to add to the thread but it would be great news for us if Jack Viney picked the Dees. He is apparently a potential Number 1 pick and we won't be any where near that pick in the near future. A few clubs have done very well with father/son players while we have been quiet in that area. With a few choices coming up including Stretch and Grinter sons in the coming years we can end that imbalance and further build on our stocks of young talent. This is great news as we won't be getting anywhere near the early picks in the next few years, I hope.

Can't believe our luck with this kid.

Not just in getting a good player via father-son, but getting an absolute gun touted as a number 1 pick.

Just Immediately after the drafts pillaged by the 2 new teams.

Just as we're about to really hit our stride and will get late draft picks. (you might say it'd have been better to get him in the GC17/GWS years, but by 2012 I think our pick will be quite a bit later.)

This will be akin to adding Selwood to Geelong's midifeld - the finishing touch.

Can't believe our luck with this kid.

Not just in getting a good player via father-son, but getting an absolute gun touted as a number 1 pick.

Just Immediately after the drafts pillaged by the 2 new teams.

Just as we're about to really hit our stride and will get late draft picks. (you might say it'd have been better to get him in the GC17/GWS years, but by 2012 I think our pick will be quite a bit later.)

This will be akin to adding Selwood to Geelong's midifeld - the finishing touch.

Slightly off topic but doesn't GWS have two years of draft concessions? I seem to remember reading that, if so, Viney will fall into the 2nd year for GWS, and that would be a great result for Melbourne. H is confident that he's accepted us btw.

On Grinter, don't be too excited. I've heard that he's not quite there yet. If he comes on then great but probably best not to expect it.

ive got a bad feeling we are going to lose an untouchable to either GC or GWS and then have to use our compensation pick (which will be our best in that draft) on Viney

i dont think the compensation pick will come into play, we have to nominate if we're going to use it at the start of the year, so it would be just our normal first round pick if some other team nominates they would pick him before our first pick. hope that makes sense

edit spelling

Edited by scarlett

ive got a bad feeling we are going to lose an untouchable to either GC or GWS and then have to use our compensation pick (which will be our best in that draft) on Viney

Father/Son all the way.

My gut tells me:

Petterd to GC17

Maric to GWS18

Not to bad, could of been a lot worse!

Slightly off topic but doesn't GWS have two years of draft concessions? I seem to remember reading that, if so, Viney will fall into the 2nd year for GWS, and that would be a great result for Melbourne. H is confident that he's accepted us btw.

That was the original plan, but once the teams started to realise how good the GC17 had it and started to grumble, there was no way they were going to take 2 years of GWS pillaging.

Around mid-late last year the AFL officially changed their stance to only 1 year of a tampered draft for GWS.

I know that Jack Viney's credentials have been highlighted before on this forum but I can't control myself. I live in SA and have heard excellent reports about Jack Viney. He played U16 as an U15 player. He could easily play U18 as an U16 this year but isn't permitted. That's how good he is at his age. Great skills but the exceptional thing is his attack on the ball. He just frightens oppositions! Apparently a level-headed kid too.

Should fit nicely into our Premiership midfield in his rookie year?

we will no longer be called the Melbourne Demons...we are becoming 'The Melbourne Jacks'

Half the team will be Jack soon.

Go Dees

Where has he been touted as a potential number 1 pick??

Haven't seen him touted as a number 1, but the SA coach (I think, or guy who has coached all 3 of them at a high level) reckons he is as good as, if not better than Gibbs and Trengove at the same stage

Edited by the_russian

Haha :D

Great skills but the exceptional thing is his attack on the ball. He just frightens oppositions!

This bit excites me the most, despite 2 years away from anything remotely coming to fruition.

Sorry Enforcer to add to the thread but it would be great news for us if Jack Viney picked the Dees. He is apparently a potential Number 1 pick and we won't be any where near that pick in the near future. A few clubs have done very well with father/son players while we have been quiet in that area. With a few choices coming up including Stretch and Grinter sons in the coming years we can end that imbalance and further build on our stocks of young talent. This is great news as we won't be getting anywhere near the early picks in the next few years, I hope.

And Gary Lyon's eldest must be also close.

I remember an article years and years ago about Geelong's 2 Coreys when they were starting out - they both needed decent nicknames to tell them apart so Joel Corey became 'Smithy' and Corey Enright became 'Boris'.

This will be a gargantuan task in comparison.

Be prepared for some terrible nicknames.