• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Selection Table

jayceebee31

And HT,I think you should come to training.You may learn a little from wht Bailey is trying to implement-- re the match against the Lions.Go forward- go through the guts-- not backwards which Grimes stuffed up on many occassions.And at 36 years of age-I'd say I have watched twice as much as you, coached for more than 20 years- stick to being a moderator and not tell other posters what to do.

Let's put it this way. Your contention is that Grimes was constantly acting against instructions. That he was explicitly told to do something else yet looked, just this week, to defy team rules. If that's the case, then what would he be dropped to Casey for? Discipline? If, as you suggest in contradiction to yourself, he should be dropped to Casey to learn how to implement the game plan, how is that exactly going to happen at Casey?

We have a lot of problems to solve at the MFC. Jack Grimes is not one of them.

Edited by Choko

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest hole in the side against North was our lack of tall forwards to take advantage of North's lack of tall defenders. Firrito and Thompson relished not having to play on tall forwards and were on top most the game. Until our forward line becomes more balanced there are some teams that will match-up very well with us and shut us down. Brisbane lacked quaility shutdown mid-size defenders and we took advantage.

I think Miller or Newton would have helped on Saturday. For whatever reason, Martin doesn't seem to attract enough of the ball when he plays forward, although I still have high hopes for him.

Let's put it this way. Your contention is that Grimes was constantly acting against instructions. That he was explicitly told to do something else yet looked, just this week, to defy team rules. If that's the case, then what would he be dropped to Casey for? Discipline? If, as you suggest in contradiction to yourself, he should be dropped to Casey to learn how to implement the game plan, how is that exactly going to happen at Casey?

We have a lot of problems to solve at the MFC. Jack Grimes is not one of them.

If you and other posters read what I said,was, he should be moved to a different position-such as the centre or wing. I think his decision making at times is not up to scratch such as against North. I also think that if he remains at HB flank he needs to kick the football forward not backwards. If he continues- Yes put him back to Casey for disciplinary reasons.

Edited by jayceebee31

Did you watch that game??? We weren't beaten by height anywhere on the ground at any stage of the game.

That game was won by superior pressure, tackling and run by the Kangaroos.

Nothing to do with the balance of either list or, even, the overall quality of the players therein.

They held more tackles, made smothers and ran harder the other way than us. Exactly the same thing we did against Collingwood.

If you were there- height killed us as well as pressure .Who kicked North's first goal??

Hale who was too big for Warnock. Hale kicked the opening goal for North due to height.. Overall they were so tall and bulky than our players.Another example was Hansen playing on Sylvia- 196 cms tall against 186. Firrito-190,Thompson-190,Grima-193 cms tall against our forward line,Sylvia-186, Petterd-185, Green-184. Have a look at all the players height-we were very short compared to them.I rest my case. Look before you talk.

Edited by jayceebee31

If you and other posters read what I said,was, he should be moved to a different position-such as the centre or wing. I think his decision making at times is not up to scratch such as against North. I also think that if he remains at HB flank he needs to kick the football forward not backwards. If he continues- Yes put him back to Casey for disciplinary reasons.

If you actually understood the game plan ( and I mean understand) you would know why Grimes changes the direction of the play.

And putting back to Casey for disciplinary reasons - good grief.

Well, first off, Grimes needs to be dropped. Playing horribly.

Secondly, who would you have put in there yesterday?

I see that Jack Grimes is one of your two favorite players. The other one is no longer at the club - Matty Whelan.

I presume your favorite movie is "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"

Jaycee I propose you go to training and ask Bailey if he thinks Grimes is going against team orders and is on the path to getting drop if he continues his 'illdiscipline.'

And Hoopla...what?

Edited by 45HG16

Jaycee I propose you go to training and ask Bailey if you think he is going against team orders and is on the path to getting drop if he continues his 'illdiscipline.'

Its no wonder Clubs have closed sessions at training. :rolleyes:

I go virtually every Friday- some posters will confirm that- How about we meet Friday week and I'll ask Dean in front of you or HT.And I will also sort you at at the same time.

I am sure you are big enough to ask Dean yourself. Better still ask him about the game plan and ask him to repeat slowly the parts that are not clear the first time. Oh and tell him we should only kick forward I think you have enough to sort out with yourself. Good luck. B)

If you were there- height killed us as well as pressure .Who kicked North's first goal??

Hale who was too big for Warnock. Hale kicked the opening goal for North due to height.. Overall they were so tall and bulky than our players.Another example was Hansen playing on Sylvia- 196 cms tall against 186. Firrito-190,Thompson-190,Grima-193 cms tall against our forward line,Sylvia-186, Petterd-185, Green-184. Have a look at all the players height-we were very short compared to them.I rest my case. Look before you talk.

And how many more marks inside 50 did Hale take after that???

You have a fixation on believing that you can only take marks against opponents if you are taller than them. It's sipmly untrue. Height can have an impact in a contested marking situation, but if you watch the game again, you will see that the reason North took more marks inside 50 than us wasn't because their forwards were standing taller agianst our backs, it was because they had control through the middle and were able to provide relatively unpressured supply to leading forwards.

Withour McKenzie we lacked a bit in the tackling dept ( actually more than a bit as he seems to inspire others ) Our work ( pressure ) rate was considerably down. W allowed North to start dictating play. We won a few games pressuring sides to go wide and this doesnt quite occur at that Abyss (ES) . Dont underestimate Furito... Can play tall and small and with Petterd out of the game their backs had full reign over our forward line. You cant expect to take on ALL teams with only a running on style forward line. We lacked a target ( two really). Green subs ok up the sharp end but is really wasted there. Is hard if he attracts their best ..and soon and so on.

Possibly not Jack's (G) best day but very servicable; is laughable to suggest dropping him. Is one of the few that knows where to go coming off of the half back line. No.. letting him work through his gremlins and gain from it.

Is just a shame PJ never really came on as hed be good pinch hitting in the ruck and providing something down the sharp end...alas :( Maybe..just maybe we roll the dice again with him as weve already done with Juice for another look see ??

We're not really going to play finals this year no matter how excited we get.. I think theres room for some inspirational experimentation from Bailey, possibly Cheney in and release Garland up the pointy end.

Id like to see Gysberts come in soonish and see what he can do at the upper level. No real harm in continuing to mix it up some this year. The team is hardly set in concrete just yet.

And how many more marks inside 50 did Hale take after that???

You have a fixation on believing that you can only take marks against opponents if you are taller than them. It's sipmly untrue. Height can have an impact in a contested marking situation, but if you watch the game again, you will see that the reason North took more marks inside 50 than us wasn't because their forwards were standing taller agianst our backs, it was because they had control through the middle and were able to provide relatively unpressured supply to leading forwards.

Fair comments on your reply. I actually watched the replay today. Height and weight was definately a problem.However, you are correct in that- the pressure along with control out of the centre was the major factor.Height in the ruck was a contributing factor here too.

And HT,I think you should come to training.You may learn a little from wht Bailey is trying to implement-- re the match against the Lions.Go forward- go through the guts-- not backwards which Grimes stuffed up on many occassions.And at 36 years of age-I'd say I have watched twice as much as you, coached for more than 20 years- stick to being a moderator and not tell other posters what to do.

REALLY?

No, but come on.........

REALLY?? :blink:

When I heard the news pre game that McKenzie was out and Rivers was in my view was there was no particularly important role for Rivers with the 22 already featuring 4 defensive talls in Frawley, Warnock, Garland and Joel McDonald that justified the loss of running depth. I suppose in this game I preferred we trust our strengths and throw out the challenge to North to try and match us.

Geelong will be an interesting test in terms of their structure going forward i season 2010. It was really obvious against Carlton on the MCG that playing 3 tall forwards in Mooney, Podsiadly and Hawkins in addition to a Ruck/Forward in Ottens and a Ruck in Blake cost them plenty in terms of run. Can't really consider Richmond in their current form much of a test of what for mine is a tope heavy structure given the running demands in the modern game.

In terms of the Dees we are indeed still in development mode so its no surprise we do not yet have the perfect structure. Though its important to remember that perfect premiership teams are the exception. Most premiership teams have weaknesses. Think of Geelong. They don't have a champion key forward and in general their forwards are innacurate in front of goal. Yet they have won 2 of the last 3 flags.

Players such as Martin will be played to help them get used to the speed and structures of the game and to get used to the roles they are expected to play going forward. They may come into the team for a stretch of games and then go back to Casey to work on some areas then come back.

Ins - 2 Mids/Runners... McKenzie, Bail first preference otherwise next best from Casey...Gysberts, Maric, Cheney...?

Outs - Pettard (Inj) Joel McDonald

As for the game against the Kangas I think we are just starting to master a game plan for the MCG. Given thats where we play most of our games thats a good start. We will need to tweak it for a smaller ground like Etihad. Consider how the Saints struggled against the Power at the larger AAMI stadium yet were able to implement their preferred game style much more succesfully back at their home ground Etihad Stadium. We have to get better at adjusting our MCG based game style to larger and smaller grounds going forward.

And finally posters really need to respect other posters. We are all Demon fans and yes we will all likely have differing views but getting personal and contemptuous really just makes you look like a child. So if you are an adult post like one please.

Jayceebee, I am absolutely convinced that we really lacked the sort of height in the forward line that could only have been provided by drafting ........

Serhat Temel!!!!

Bring in Serhat!!

Gold!

Copping a pasting, love it.

Deservedly so.

Gold!

Copping a pasting, love it.

Deservedly so.

You R C --AND YOU WANT TO BECOME CEO of the MFC..

Edited by jayceebee31

Jaycee I propose you go to training and ask Bailey if he thinks Grimes is going against team orders and is on the path to getting drop if he continues his 'illdiscipline.'

And Hoopla...what?

Without mentioning Grimes's name he was disappointing in the way players kicked backwards as Grimes did last Saturday-stated this on SEN today.I rest my case.